Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 3:58 pm

The local specialty shop that is going out of business has marked down all of their brews once again, for the last time. I'm going by on way home and see what's left that's worth bringing home. Too bad it's not a payday week, but if she's still open next Friday, I'll be stocking up!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 23rd, 2009, 6:47 pm

Just wanted to say that I am posting from the Sweet Water bar in terminal b, right next to my gate. :-D
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 6:52 pm

Miles wrote:Just wanted to say that I am posting from the Sweet Water bar in terminal b, right next to my gate. :-D
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :-bd :-bd :-bd \:D/
That's awesome. Hope the trip is going well and the cats make it without hating you.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 7:00 pm

First review of my many purchased cheap(er) beers. Dogfish 90 minute IPA. This is really nice, it's smooth in flavor and body. I was expecting more hoppiness, but am pleasantly pleased that they held back. I'm assuming the 90 minute refers to the boil time. The longer the boil, the more the wort is removed of water and left with sugars, thus the higher gravity. 9%ABV on this one, the golden color distinguishes the classic IPA look. I've seen some brews lately that are advertised as dark IPA's, and that makes no sense. IF you want to say your dark ale is hopped up, then go for it, but don't call it an Indian Pale Ale! when it's anything but. Low head, but excellent retention, I still have bubbles on the top of my tall glass that are there from when I first poured it. The beer itself is now 5 inches below the rim. A true sign of good stuff. The flavor is as filled with the malts as it is the hops, and it's a very nice balance. I bought 3, but better save the other 2 for another day, I have to paint tonight and want to be awake when I do!
Miles

Post by Miles » April 23rd, 2009, 7:17 pm

I must say, I am disappointed (sorta) with the 420 by sweetwater. It's mild at best and doesn't stand up to the west coast pale ale label. There is barely a nose and it has little impact on my palette. This would be the only west coast pale ale that I could drink back to back to back to back.

The guy next me to me recommends long trail IPA outta Vermont.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2009, 10:57 pm

Miles wrote:Just wanted to say that I am posting from the Sweet Water bar in terminal b, right next to my gate. :-D
We don't care where you're posting, we care what you're drinking and reviewing :roll: ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2009, 10:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:First review of my many purchased cheap(er) beers. Dogfish 90 minute IPA. This is really nice, it's smooth in flavor and body. I was expecting more hoppiness, but am pleasantly pleased that they held back. I'm assuming the 90 minute refers to the boil time. The longer the boil, the more the wort is removed of water and left with sugars, thus the higher gravity. 9%ABV on this one, the golden color distinguishes the classic IPA look. I've seen some brews lately that are advertised as dark IPA's, and that makes no sense. IF you want to say your dark ale is hopped up, then go for it, but don't call it an Indian Pale Ale! when it's anything but. Low head, but excellent retention, I still have bubbles on the top of my tall glass that are there from when I first poured it. The beer itself is now 5 inches below the rim. A true sign of good stuff. The flavor is as filled with the malts as it is the hops, and it's a very nice balance. I bought 3, but better save the other 2 for another day, I have to paint tonight and want to be awake when I do!
It may refer to the additional amount of time they have hops in the boil. I'm not sure, but it may be explained on their web site.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2009, 11:00 pm

Miles wrote:I must say, I am disappointed (sorta) with the 420 by sweetwater. It's mild at best and doesn't stand up to the west coast pale ale label. There is barely a nose and it has little impact on my palette. This would be the only west coast pale ale that I could drink back to back to back to back.

The guy next me to me recommends long trail IPA outta Vermont.
THAT is a good recommendation. Hope you had one. The Double Bag is even better.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 24th, 2009, 10:33 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:First review of my many purchased cheap(er) beers. Dogfish 90 minute IPA. This is really nice, it's smooth in flavor and body. I was expecting more hoppiness, but am pleasantly pleased that they held back. I'm assuming the 90 minute refers to the boil time. The longer the boil, the more the wort is removed of water and left with sugars, thus the higher gravity. 9%ABV on this one, the golden color distinguishes the classic IPA look. I've seen some brews lately that are advertised as dark IPA's, and that makes no sense. IF you want to say your dark ale is hopped up, then go for it, but don't call it an Indian Pale Ale! when it's anything but. Low head, but excellent retention, I still have bubbles on the top of my tall glass that are there from when I first poured it. The beer itself is now 5 inches below the rim. A true sign of good stuff. The flavor is as filled with the malts as it is the hops, and it's a very nice balance. I bought 3, but better save the other 2 for another day, I have to paint tonight and want to be awake when I do!
It may refer to the additional amount of time they have hops in the boil. I'm not sure, but it may be explained on their web site.
I believe you are both right on this. The "times" used to name DFH beers refer to the amount of time the beer is boiled. But, I think the beers are continuously hopped during the boil--at least that's how it goes with the 120-Minute (which is also dry-hopped at the end for good measure)

It's been a while since I've had a Sweetwater 420, but I remember it being a nice change of pace. Sometimes American PAs can be more like IPAs (and American IPAs like IIPAs), which is great. But, sometimes something a little more reserved and balanced is enjoyable. 420 fit that mold (much like Great Divide's Denver Pale Ale which is labeled as a British style PA)
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 24th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale

Olive is a great old brown dog, she should be painted. And her beer should be celebrated. Old brown is a malt lover's beer, with a tip of the hat to the hop lover. Meaning, it's dark brown, dry and sweet, but with a nice hop afterkick that lasts for a bit. This is one of the going out of biz purchases I got recently, and I'm happy I bought 2. I'll save the second for a good night like a painting finish in the future weeks.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 24th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Berkshire Brewing Company Raspberry Barleywine--not quite sure what to make of this beer. There is obviously a strong raspberry taste thought its not overwhelming. It's hard to really consider this a barleywine, as its pretty thin all around. Not a lot of strong taste beyond the raspberries but malts definitely trump the hops. I expected a little more character and flavor out of this but its not a bad tasting beer. Could be one of the easiest drinking 9% beers I've had...
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 24th, 2009, 9:55 pm

bluebear wrote:Berkshire Brewing Company Raspberry Barleywine--not quite sure what to make of this beer. There is obviously a strong raspberry taste thought its not overwhelming. It's hard to really consider this a barleywine, as its pretty thin all around. Not a lot of strong taste beyond the raspberries but malts definitely trump the hops. I expected a little more character and flavor out of this but its not a bad tasting beer. Could be one of the easiest drinking 9% beers I've had...
I'm not sure how a beer in which the malt trumps the hops can be called a barleywine. Nonetheless, sounds intriguing. Where is it from?
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 24th, 2009, 9:58 pm

devildeac wrote:For rmd-your collection is now started :D

Duck-Rabbit Barleywine-Fairly smooth and drinkable for this year's release. Tons of caramel and chocolate malt with a generous hopping. Hints of smokiness and scotch with dried figs. Medium brown and clear with a modest head which actually lingers a bit. Have this with some smoked sausage or hard cheeses or out of a snifter for a nightcap. Don't drink it cold either. I'd guess 80-90 IBU and it is 11% ABV for a fact. There will be one in your stocking for next year's ski trip :D .
BTW, I picked up a bottle of 2008 Beast today (tried a new store which had a LOT leftover from last August) which will be yours if a Colorado ski trip is in your future next winter.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 24th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Ommegang Rouge, served on tap at the BrickStore Pub in Atlanta.

Oh wow... second best cherry lambic I have ever tasted. Dark red color, light tan head, crisp cherry taste, with a punch of tart. Aftertaste not bitter; very cherry. 5.5 ABV. No bitters.

Ymm, Beer: :D :D :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 24th, 2009, 10:27 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: I'm not sure how a beer in which the malt trumps the hops can be called a barleywine. Nonetheless, sounds intriguing. Where is it from?
Agree..there is not much barleywine about this beer..apparently, older versions were considered strong ales. The brewery is out in Western MA and despite being in Boston, this is the first offering I have tried from them. A store around me stocks a decent variety of their beer and they make some interesting brews.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2009, 11:41 pm

bluebear wrote:Berkshire Brewing Company Raspberry Barleywine--not quite sure what to make of this beer. There is obviously a strong raspberry taste thought its not overwhelming. It's hard to really consider this a barleywine, as its pretty thin all around. Not a lot of strong taste beyond the raspberries but malts definitely trump the hops. I expected a little more character and flavor out of this but its not a bad tasting beer. Could be one of the easiest drinking 9% beers I've had...
Interesting. You don't find too many fruit flavored barleywines.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2009, 11:42 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:For rmd-your collection is now started :D

Duck-Rabbit Barleywine-Fairly smooth and drinkable for this year's release. Tons of caramel and chocolate malt with a generous hopping. Hints of smokiness and scotch with dried figs. Medium brown and clear with a modest head which actually lingers a bit. Have this with some smoked sausage or hard cheeses or out of a snifter for a nightcap. Don't drink it cold either. I'd guess 80-90 IBU and it is 11% ABV for a fact. There will be one in your stocking for next year's ski trip :D .
BTW, I picked up a bottle of 2008 Beast today (tried a new store which had a LOT leftover from last August) which will be yours if a Colorado ski trip is in your future next winter.
Cellar it! :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Lavabe wrote:Ommegang Rouge, served on tap at the BrickStore Pub in Atlanta.

Oh wow... second best cherry lambic I have ever tasted. Dark red color, light tan head, crisp cherry taste, with a punch of tart. Aftertaste not bitter; very cherry. 5.5 ABV. No bitters.

I guess you liked better than 3 Philosophers.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 25th, 2009, 9:07 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Ommegang Rouge, served on tap at the BrickStore Pub in Atlanta.

I guess you liked better than 3 Philosophers.
I then had fish 'n' chips with a DFH Aprihop on draught.

Aprihop draught is SOOOOO much better than in bottle. The essence comes through more delicately in midtaste. I don't recall that EVER happening with a pour from the bottle.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 25th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Sam Adams Imperial Bock. This is the beer formerly known as Prince, err, Double Bock. As expected, a very malty sweet brew, almost syrupy. I like this style of beer so I'll cut them a bit of slack. Heavy caramel malt and it tastes a bit like darker butterscotch with some milk chocolate flavors from a bunch of chocolate malt, I'd guess. Not many hops here. They have upped the ante here as IIRC, the "old" Double Bock was about 8.5% ABV and this weighs in at 9.5% and it is boozey, as I think bluebear said on TBTSNBN or something like that :D . Hey, CB&B, ya want one saved? Also, if they still have the SA Imperial Pilsner, do you want a 4 pack or part of one?