Foods I don't understand

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Foods I don't understand

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 10:14 am

windsor wrote: I don't like butter cream icing or marzipan. Too sweet. I usually leave a little skeleton of icing on my plate when I eat cake...actually come to think of it with the exception of doughnuts I'm not much of a sweets fan...(an exception is made for really good chocolate fudge - with walnuts)
I generally agree, but my wife found a good butter cream icing recipe that is really good. Sweet, but not too sweet. Her's is the only one I like.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 9th, 2009, 10:23 am

I dislike any frosting that is not either butter cream or cream cheese based. Those nasty yucky ones you get from the Kroger that are all oily are just disgusting.

Butter cream:
1 lb. confectioner's sugar
a stick of butter
teaspoon of vanilla (love the stuff!)
tablespoon of milk

Doesn't get any better than that. The key is to not over-frost the cake. I don't like too much frosting.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 10:30 am

DukeUsul wrote:I dislike any frosting that is not either butter cream or cream cheese based. Those nasty yucky ones you get from the Kroger that are all oily are just disgusting.

Butter cream:
a stick of butter
tablespoon of milk

Doesn't get any better than that. The key is to not over-frost the cake. I don't like too much frosting.

Definitely. Thin coating required. Here's the EVE cake my wife made for Michael for his birthday with that frosting. She's very proud of herself, since she sculpted it from a ladybug cake pan because we couldn't find an EVE cake pan anywhere.

She's also done Elmo (two different versions), Luigi (had to make that one with a Mario cake pan, so that was an accomplishment in and of itself), Winnie the Pooh, a football (for me), Curious George, and a Hot Wheelz car (used a Lightning McQueen cake pan and altered the decoration, even did the cool flames on the side). She's pretty good at doing those cakes.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 9th, 2009, 10:32 am

Cool looking cake...quick question. What is EVE?
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 10:33 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Cool looking cake...quick question. What is EVE?
EVE is Wall*E's little friend. Is it safe to assume you know who Wall*E is, at least generally?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 9th, 2009, 11:28 am

bjornolf wrote:...my wife found a good butter cream icing recipe that is really good. Sweet, but not too sweet. Her's is the only one I like.

%%-
Hers. :-B
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 11:39 am

My favorite icing is simple...whip whipping cream and add chocolate syrup...put on cake. Yum.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 12:35 pm

wilson wrote:
bjornolf wrote:...my wife found a good butter cream icing recipe that is really good. Sweet, but not too sweet. Her's is the only one I like.

%%-
Hers. :-B
It's not wrong, I meant the contraction of "her is". Yes, I know, that makes it COMPLETELY wrong. I just had a brain fart there. ;) I'll go light a match. :ymblushing:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 9th, 2009, 1:32 pm

windsor wrote:My favorite icing is simple...whip whipping cream and add chocolate syrup...put on cake. Yum.
That sounds great.Do you add the chocolate before,during or after whipping? :?: :?:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 9th, 2009, 1:37 pm

bjornolf wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I dislike any frosting that is not either butter cream or cream cheese based. Those nasty yucky ones you get from the Kroger that are all oily are just disgusting.

Butter cream:
a stick of butter
tablespoon of milk

Definitely. Thin coating required. Here's the EVE cake my wife made for Michael for his birthday with that frosting. She's very proud of herself, since she sculpted it from a ladybug cake pan because we couldn't find an EVE cake pan anywhere.

She's also done Elmo (two different versions), Luigi (had to make that one with a Mario cake pan, so that was an accomplishment in and of itself), Winnie the Pooh, a football (for me), Curious George, and a Hot Wheelz car (used a Lightning McQueen cake pan and altered the decoration, even did the cool flames on the side). She's pretty good at doing those cakes.

%%-
What a cake. She is very creative.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
windsor wrote:My favorite icing is simple...whip whipping cream and add chocolate syrup...put on cake. Yum.
That sounds great.Do you add the chocolate before,during or after whipping? :?: :?:
You can buy chocolate flavored whipped topping now. Don't know how good it is, though.

Reminds me of the Duggar family birthday cake. I think I posted this before. It involves ice cream sandwiches, crushed butterfinger bars, one bottle each of hershey's chocolate and hershey's caramel syrup, and two cans of redi-whip. After layering the bars you put down a layer of whipped topping, then you add the butterfinger (second layer of sandwiches optional), then you add the rest of the whipped topping, followed by the rest of the syrup. Freeze overnight. Enjoy.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 9th, 2009, 1:47 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
You can buy chocolate flavored whipped topping now. Don't know how good it is, though.

Reminds me of the Duggar family birthday cake. I think I posted this before. It involves ice cream sandwiches, crushed butterfinger bars, one bottle each of hershey's chocolate and hershey's caramel syrup, and two cans of redi-whip. After layering the bars you put down a layer of whipped topping, then you add the butterfinger (second layer of sandwiches optional), then you add the rest of the whipped topping, followed by the rest of the syrup. Freeze overnight. Enjoy.

%%-
Yeah, the Duggar family has to make that kind of cake because they're too busy uh, doing other things, to bake a cake.

I guess she's going to keep popping them out until her uterus explodes.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 9th, 2009, 1:50 pm

CathyCA wrote:Yeah, the Duggar family has to make that kind of cake because they're too busy uh, doing other things, to bake a cake.

I have serious philosophical issues with that family. I honestly think there's something psychologically wrong with them, and I think it's horribly irresponsible from an ecological standpoint to have 20 fucking kids or however many they have.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 9th, 2009, 1:55 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Yeah, the Duggar family has to make that kind of cake because they're too busy uh, doing other things, to bake a cake.

I have serious philosophical issues with that family. I honestly think there's something psychologically wrong with them, and I think it's horribly irresponsible from an ecological standpoint to have 20 fucking kids or however many they have.
They have 18, and their oldest is expecting his first kid, and Michelle is expecting #19.

They have more children than the Osmonds.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 2:00 pm

CathyCA wrote: Yeah, the Duggar family has to make that kind of cake because they're too busy uh, doing other things, to bake a cake.

Well, the kids make it. I guess it's a good cake for the younger ones to make. Have you heard that she's pregnant with number 19 now? :-o

And I think popping is about right. They had her in the hospital a couple times ago and she was just talking calmly about how bad the contractions were. My wife was watching in disbelief, saying she couldn't believe how calm Michelle was. I said, "Are you kidding me? She's had 17 kids. If there's still a nerve alive down there, it's a damn lonely one." ;)

As for how many they've had, Michelle was on birth control pills. She took a few right after she got pregnant the first time and it caused a miscarriage. They felt so bad about it, they decided that they were just going to accept as many as God would bless them with. They could at least practice some NFP, for goodness sake. But, I guess they'll just keep having them until she hits "the change". I figure she's got two or three more in her, since she turns 43 on September 13th. Unless she has another set of twins. ;) Their friends, the Bates, have like 16. And they live in a 1000 square foot house. They had a recent episode where the Duggars went to help them add a laundry room. Jim Bob, who now has experience building houses, went nuts and decided to add a porch and a "little extension", getting local companies to donate most of the materials. The "little extension" ended up being like 3000 square feet (including the porch). So, the "little extension" quadrupled the size of the house. Nice friends to have, eh?

On a side note, she's got this cool pillow that wraps around her body. It's KINDA like a boppy, only it's more solid and it had a velcro strap all the way around you. They have footage of her standing in line in public with that strapped to her with a blanket over her shoulder, nursing a baby WHILE standing. It's pretty impressive. Considering she's spent a cumulative 18+ years nursing kids, she's pretty experienced I guess. It's a cool pillow though.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 2:05 pm

wilson wrote:

Not a big fan of their choices, but their ecological footprint is actually pretty small, considering their size. They buy all their clothes at thrift stores and most of their things used. They make their own soap. They grow and can their own fruits and vegetables. They have a nice big property with lots of trees and grass. They home school their kids. They drive a bus to get everybody around without using multiple cars (they have smaller cars for when they go in smaller groups). They recycle. They re-use a LOT of things most people just throw away.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
I whip it plain for a minute or two then added the chocolate gradually - it's very good!

Like any whip cream it holds up fine for a day or two int he fridge and then gets 'flat' still tastes fine but not as visually appealling.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 9th, 2009, 2:23 pm

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:

Not a big fan of their choices, but their ecological footprint is actually pretty small, considering their size. They buy all their clothes at thrift stores and most of their things used. They make their own soap. They grow and can their own fruits and vegetables. They have a nice big property with lots of trees and grass. They home school their kids. They drive a bus to get everybody around without using multiple cars (they have smaller cars for when they go in smaller groups). They recycle. They re-use a LOT of things most people just throw away.

%%-
I don't know how they have time to do all of that stuff--homeschool, make soap, grow and can fruits and vegetables, nurse babies, change diapers, make more babies. . .

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 2:25 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:

%%-
I don't like 'whipped topping' chocolate for otherwise so I'm not a fan. If I want something like whipped cream then I'm whipping some cream :D
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 2:26 pm

CathyCA wrote: I don't know how they have time to do all of that stuff--homeschool, make soap, grow and can fruits and vegetables, nurse babies, change diapers, make more babies. . .

Other then the 'make and nurse babies' they have a large supply of cheap (aka 'free') labor to assist with all the other chores.