What Musical Instrument Does Your Kid Play?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

What Musical Instrument Does Your Kid Play?

Post by CathyCA » April 21st, 2009, 9:34 pm

I'm sitting here listening to my son practice his trumpet. He has improved so much this year.

I was wondering if any of the rest of you have kids who play musical instruments? :ymparty:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: What Musical Instrument Does Your Kid Play?

Post by cl15876 » April 21st, 2009, 9:39 pm

CathyCA wrote:I'm sitting here listening to my son practice his trumpet. He has improved so much this year.

I was wondering if any of the rest of you have kids who play musical instruments? :ymparty:
My kiddos enjoyed the harmonica (mine)...... but lost it, so there went the interest! I got a guitar and the works for my daughter but it was too hard for her to learn..... I've always played the keyboard and they love that and play it constantly when I have them with me every other weekend! It is alot of fun! I love listening to the trumpet! :-D
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 21st, 2009, 9:40 pm

Katie's still a bit young, but she likes to bang on her kiddie keyboard and shake her bottom to any music she hears.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 10:48 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Katie's still a bit young, but she likes to bang on her kiddie keyboard and shake her bottom to any music she hears.
My Katie bangs on the drums and moves across the floor by kind of bouncing up and down on her butt while shaking her head like mad and clapping. It's so cute.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 21st, 2009, 11:39 pm

My daughter picked up the trumpet in middle school. Played in the jazz band and marching band, was pretty good at it. Then in high school she hated the band director and quit 2 weeks in.

Her husband is a musician (and would be high school music teacher/band director). She has picked the trumpet back up and is playing in the Boone community band with him. They even played in the Duke Alumni band over the holidays for both a men's and a women's game! She knew all the songs, of course, but he, um, well let's just say the music was foreign to him, but he played the gig with a smile on his face.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 21st, 2009, 11:57 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm sitting here listening to my son practice his trumpet. He has improved so much this year.

My kiddos enjoyed the harmonica (mine)...... but lost it, so there went the interest! I got a guitar and the works for my daughter but it was too hard for her to learn..... I've always played the keyboard and they love that and play it constantly when I have them with me every other weekend! It is alot of fun! I love listening to the trumpet! :-D
Introduce your daughter to the power chord, and then get her some Ramones!
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 22nd, 2009, 8:13 am

My stepson asked for a guitar for Christmas 2 years ago, so we got him one and signed him for lessons. He was really into it for about 6 months, then faded off and hasn't touched it much after a year. At least the lessons were cheap.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2009, 8:46 am

Their surviving grandmother is a piano teacher, so take a guess :roll: ...

Seriously:

Oldest daughter: piano, flute/piccolo (3 years for MS band)
Son: piano, sax (ditto), guitar (he thinks :roll: )
Youngest daughter: piano
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » April 22nd, 2009, 8:53 am

My son, Josh, started out on the violin, then switched to guitar and now plays both drums and guitar. He's in an alternative/punk/indie rock band in Chicago.
Miles

Post by Miles » April 22nd, 2009, 2:18 pm

DukePA wrote:My son, Josh, started out on the violin, then switched to guitar and now plays both drums and guitar. He's in an alternative/punk/indie rock band in Chicago.
I, Jeremy, started out on the violin too, then switched to bass. I was in a few indie/punk bands back in the day. Is Josh a Duke fan?
sMiles
DukePA

Post by DukePA » April 22nd, 2009, 4:23 pm

Miles wrote:
DukePA wrote:My son, Josh, started out on the violin, then switched to guitar and now plays both drums and guitar. He's in an alternative/punk/indie rock band in Chicago.
I, Jeremy, started out on the violin too, then switched to bass. I was in a few indie/punk bands back in the day. Is Josh a Duke fan?
He's rather apathetic when it comes to sports although we had season tickets when he was 3 years old and his grandparents have had season tickets since 1967. When 3 year old Josh was asked what he was going to be when he grew up he inevitably responded, "I'm going to be Danny Ferry!" Now he doesn't care, but will pull for Duke if he pays attention. He was the first grandson born into the family and the first thing my dad said when he saw him was, "Go To Hell carolina!"
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » April 22nd, 2009, 8:38 pm

My three older sons play piano and in my totally unbiased opinion, they are all quite good. The youngest will learn someday but I've told him that he's my last chance for a violin player so, before he can protest too much, I'm going to have him take violin lessons. Number 3 son wants to start taking guitar too. Although all of them are musical, it's that number 3 son who shows the most initiative. I think he'll be my musician, if not for a career, at least a lifelong interest.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Miles

Post by Miles » April 22nd, 2009, 9:44 pm

DukePA wrote:
Miles wrote:
He's rather apathetic when it comes to sports although we had season tickets when he was 3 years old and his grandparents have had season tickets since 1967. When 3 year old Josh was asked what he was going to be when he grew up he inevitably responded, "I'm going to be Danny Ferry!" Now he doesn't care, but will pull for Duke if he pays attention. He was the first grandson born into the family and the first thing my dad said when he saw him was, "Go To Hell carolina!"
Sounds like an awesome kid! Good story.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » April 22nd, 2009, 9:50 pm

Bostondevil wrote:My three older sons play piano and in my totally unbiased opinion, they are all quite good. The youngest will learn someday but I've told him that he's my last chance for a violin player so, before he can protest too much, I'm going to have him take violin lessons. Number 3 son wants to start taking guitar too. Although all of them are musical, it's that number 3 son who shows the most initiative. I think he'll be my musician, if not for a career, at least a lifelong interest.
I gave up the idea of music as a career during my first year of college. For a while, I regretted it big time when a few former band mates went on and were, well still are, quite successful. I get so much pleasure from writing and practicing just about every day. It's one of my greatest, and healthiest, stress relievers. :D Yaaaay music. :-bd
sMiles