Thread for advice on video games...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Thread for advice on video games...

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 9:50 am

I thought I'd start a thread for people who wanted to give or find recommendations for Wii games, particularly for kids. My cousin is my first son's (age 6) godfather, and he got this game, de Blob, for him for his birthday. It's gotten a little cheaper than the usual $50 (we saw it at Walmart for $40). He LOVES this game. He loves painting (art is his favorite subject and painting is his favorite part of art). This game takes his two favorite things in the world, Wii and painting, and combines them in an adventure game. I even have a blast playing this game. It's hilarious too.

The premise is that there are these bad guys called the INKT corporation that have stolen all the color out of the world. Your job, as de Blob, is to absorb color (red, yellow, blue) and repaint the world while fighting off the INKT soldiers. You can also combine colors to get purple, orange, green, and brown. The different colors have different effects on the world, and the more colors you use to paint certain things, the more points you get. There are cut scenes between levels that document the INKT minions responses to your actions which are TOTALLY hysterical.

Anyway, for younger (less than 9 I'd say, though artistic kids who are older and love art would like it too I think) girls or boys, I think this is an AWESOME game.

%%-
Last edited by TillyGalore on April 21st, 2009, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed name of thread per author's request.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Thread for recommending Wii games...

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 11:21 am

Sorry, I should have named this thread differently. Maybe one of the modes could change it. Maybe we could just call it "the video game thread". This should be for suggesting or seeking suggestions on games on any system, or the PC.

Thanks

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: Thread for advice on video games...

Post by Shammrog » April 21st, 2009, 2:54 pm

I have a Wii. Great fun. Need recommendations on games for a 37 year-old guy. (My 7 year-old daughter is covered.)
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 21st, 2009, 3:12 pm

Does anyone here remember the original Star Wars video game from the arcades? I would love to find that for either the PS2 or the 360.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 4:05 pm

You mean the arcade game with all the straight lines where you had to fly through the towers on the death star? That was awesome.

http://www.voyagerarcade.com/product_in ... ts_id=1073

You can buy one I know.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 4:16 pm

As for Wii games for 37 year old guys, depends on what you're into. I like Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Kart (pwning guys from all over the world is fun on that one). If you're into more action packed games, Resident Evil 4 was AWESOME on the Wii. The Lego games are fun too (we have star wars and indiana jones). Rayman's Raving Rabbids is fun if you're into party games. There are two versions of that. They also have a fun version of Dance Dance Revolution where you have to use hand motions with the remote and nunchuk at the same time you're hitting the pad with your feet. If you REALLY love the ultraviolence and language doesn't bother you, MadWorld is supposed to be badass. It's done in a Sin City, black and white with bright red blood style where you are playing a game similar to the old book/movie Running Man. There's a similarly adult game with fake light sabers is No More Heroes. It has quite the cult following.

I can go into more detail or pair the list if you can tell me what you're into. One of the ones you can buy from the Wii store online that's supposed to be good is Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King.

I really do like de Blob, though, and you could play it with your daughter. It's got multiplayer. It really is hysterical.
%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 21st, 2009, 8:39 pm

Count me among the Wii owners! I have Wii Sport (came with the Wii) and enjoy it. It's especially fun with lots of people. My 7-year-old niece kicks my tail at bowling and has also had my parents (!) bowling with her. I think there are several Wii Sport games that are great parent/kid games. I also am a Wii Fit fan and use it daily. I'm thinking, though, that it might be time to invest in one of the personal trainer games that use the Wii Fit balance board. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I bought Super Paper Mario and was disappointed. It seems very juvenile. I liked the Game Cube version better.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 9:40 pm

My six year old LOVED SPM. Maybe that's why you say it's juvenile. Have you tried SMG? It's really good.

I also LOVED the Zelda: Twilight Princess game. However, I've been playing Zelda games for 20 years, so I'm a hopeless fan.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 22nd, 2009, 9:10 am

For those with either a PS3 or X360, I would recommend Fallout 3. It's an open-ended action/rpg that takes place in post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. (walking through the city is very cool). The map is huge and includes many familiar NOVA/DC/Maryland locations. It's also incredibly deep and just about thing you do alters the game in some way. For example, taking power-ups to temporarily increase your skill can lead to an addiction which, if you don't feed, can lead to withdrawal (alcohol increases your personable skills and can allow you to better influence people, but if you drink too often you become a drunk). Also, the game can be completed in a whole variety of ways--you can choose to put your experience points towards weapons and kill your way through or put them in your sneak skills and play a stealthier way. The only complaint I have is that the enemies get very monotonous, but the rest of the game makes up for it.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 22nd, 2009, 9:46 am

Cool, thanks. I had heard that was a cool game. I've heard that Resident Evil 5 and Bioshock are pretty cool, too. Bioshock is another one where your choices have serious consequences. I also want to try Dead Space.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 24th, 2009, 3:31 pm

bjornolf wrote:Cool, thanks. I had heard that was a cool game. I've heard that Resident Evil 5 and Bioshock are pretty cool, too. Bioshock is another one where your choices have serious consequences. I also want to try Dead Space.

%%-
Resident Evil 5 looks very cool. I was killing off some old Target gift cards (no expiration!) last night and almost pulled the trigger on it. In the end, I won't play anything before finishing Fallout and, next on my list is either Oblivion or Fable 2.

I'm also really looking forward to Fight Night: Round 4. I love all of the previous versions and this one has Mike Tyson and online play.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 24th, 2009, 4:22 pm

I LOVE Oblivion, but it takes FOREVER if you want to do the side missions. Get the PS3 game of the year edition, it has the better expansions on it already.

I just started Star Wars Force Unleashed and it is AMAZING. Being a Sith apprentice is bad ass!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...