Tattoos...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Tattoos, take 'em or leave 'em? (Please read the rules before voting!)

I hate 'em, they're for bikers and degenerates...
5%
Ink in moderation can be hot...
28%
Ink's okay for men, but not women...
No votes
Ink's okay for women, but not men...
No votes
The more the better!
5%
Tramp stamps are hot!
7%
Tramp stamps are so white trash!
9%
I have ink myself...
7%
I do NOT have ink myself...
40%

Total votes: 43
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Tattoos...

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 7:47 am

Inspired by WD, I thought I'd start a tattoo thread. So, this thread's about tattoos and your opinion of them. Who has tattoos? What do you have? Do they affect your interest in people of the opposite sex? If you feel like it and it's not too revealing, post pix.

I'll start. As long as they're tasteful and not HUGE, I have no problem with tattoos. They CAN be hot if done right. My wife has a little tattoo of a rose right over her hip bone. So it's placed where you only see it if she wants you to. I had never considered one until I saw hers. I knew it was bad luck to get a tattoo of your girlfriend/wife's name, so I did the next best thing. I went out and got a bumblebee on the opposite hip, so they'd touch when we hugged. Now I joke that I got it to help in the kid department, and that it worked a little TOO well (you know, pollination and all that). We have to be VERY careful, or we end up with another baby. We've been truly blessed in that way, as so many couples try for years unsuccessfully, and I like to think my little bee and her flower helped out. (%) Like the little fertility idols you see.

RULES: Please vote one option for the first set on your opinion. A second option for the tramp stamp issue, and a third one for whether or not YOU have ink.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Tattoos...

Post by windsor » April 21st, 2009, 8:17 am

I hate tattoos, but I don't think they are just for bikers and degenerates (considering my daughter & husband both have one)
I just personally think they are gross.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 8:25 am

Well, you could still vote in the tramp stamp part and the whether you personally have them or not.

Hey, you can vote for the other part. You've already qualified your answer. You can hate the ink while still loving the billboard. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 21st, 2009, 9:02 am

bjornolf wrote:Well, you could still vote in the tramp stamp part and the whether you personally have them or not.

Hey, you can vote for the other part. You've already qualified your answer. You can hate the ink while still loving the billboard. ;)

%%-

Very well put...love the billboards - hate the ink!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 9:34 am

I love the message behind WD's tattoo. It reminds me of a friend of mine. She's in her early 20's, and her mom died a few years ago of breast cancer. She got a tattoo of the pink breast cancer awareness ribbon high on her butt cheek, along with her mom's name, her date of birth and death, and "I love you, mom". I thought that was really sweet.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 21st, 2009, 9:40 am

All of my ink is from college, one of my roomates had a tattoo gun. I also have two that are self inflicted. One night after lots of beer, I decided to see if you could create a permanent tattoo with india ink and an exacto knife. Guess what? You can.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 21st, 2009, 9:44 am

I must admit, I've thought about getting a tattoo. Something small and in a place that I could show someone if I wanted to, like my hip. I would probably get a Celtic symbol, like a trinity knot, or Celtic cross. On the other hand, I don't think I want one as it will look really bad when I'm 80. Course that could be something fun to explain to the nurses in the nursing home. ;)

Not a fan of tattoos all over the body. But, to each their own.

I was asking a friend at work about getting a tattoo, she said a friend of her has a tattoo on her butt that reads "your name" so she can tell people she has your name tattoo'd on her butt. That is both ballsy and hilarious! I cried I laughed so hard.
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 9:56 am

That IS the advantage to getting one right over the hip bone. It doesn't tend to add a lot or lose a lot of fat over time, so it tends to be a safer place in terms of stretching or sagging as you age. You don't want one on your butt, breast, or upper arm if you're worried about those things. Places that are right over bone tend to hurt more during "installation", but they will age better, especially if they are covered by clothing most of the time (the sun can fade them). The lower back or shoulder blade are kind of in between places. They can sag or bloat over time on some people, but not on most people.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 21st, 2009, 11:09 am

TillyGalore wrote:I must admit, I've thought about getting a tattoo. Something small and in a place that I could show someone if I wanted to, like my hip.... On the other hand, I don't think I want one as it will look really bad when I'm 80. Course that could be something fun to explain to the nurses in the nursing home. ;)
Same here, but slightly different concern. In my interior dialogue, I always hear, "Grandma, what's that?" :-??
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 21st, 2009, 11:36 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I must admit, I've thought about getting a tattoo. Something small and in a place that I could show someone if I wanted to, like my hip.... On the other hand, I don't think I want one as it will look really bad when I'm 80. Course that could be something fun to explain to the nurses in the nursing home. ;)
Same here, but slightly different concern. In my interior dialogue, I always hear, "Grandma, what's that?" :-??
And I guess the ole "don't do what I did" won't work. OTOH, JJ Redick and his grandmother got tattoos together. You'll probably be one of those cool grandma's that does that with her grandkids.
I worship the Blue Devil!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 21st, 2009, 11:48 am

I am not a fan of tattoos at all and am wondering when the trend will die off. Strangely enough, my office mate is doing his PhD dissertation on the history of tattooing.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 21st, 2009, 11:49 am

colchar wrote:I am not a fan of tattoos at all and am wondering when the trend will die off. Strangely enough, my office mate is doing his PhD dissertation on the history of tattooing.

Um, that seems a problem with your future wifey over there. You gonna make her cover it up?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 21st, 2009, 12:01 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Um, that seems a problem with your future wifey over there. You gonna make her cover it up?

No, hers is a memorial tattoo and those I am fine with I guess.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 21st, 2009, 12:11 pm

colchar wrote:I am not a fan of tattoos at all and am wondering when the trend will die off. Strangely enough, my office mate is doing his PhD dissertation on the history of tattooing.
I don't think tattoos are a trend. They may have gained more notoriety in mainstream culture over the past 20 years, but tattooing has been around for a loooooooong time and I think it will be around even longer.

I would like to see certain trends in tattooing disappear, mainly clip-art pseudo tribal work.

Like a lot of art, it's a personal preference. I am not inked up, but I've seen some gorgeous work that I would proudly bare.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 21st, 2009, 12:29 pm

Miles wrote: I don't think tattoos are a trend. They may have gained more notoriety in mainstream culture over the past 20 years, but tattooing has been around for a loooooooong time and I think it will be around even longer.

Tattooing has been around forever but has had a somewhat limited appeal compared to the present where everyone seems to be getting tattooed - especially with stuff (Celtic, tribal, Oriental, etc.) with which they have no actual connection but just happen to think looks cool. My former roommate had the Chinese symbol for 'hope' between her shoulder blades and I was always like WTF?!? For starters, how do you know that actually means hope? Second, if that word is so meaningful why not get the English word tattooed since you have absolutely no connection whatsoever with China or anyone Chinese? I have another friend (who is Italian) who has Chinese characters surrounded by a Celtic band on his arm. He obviously has no connection with either of those cultures so what could they possibly mean to him other than that he thought they looked cool?

Things like that are just plain silly to me - to say nothing of the fact that those tats will look like shit when they are older and their skin is all wrinkled.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 21st, 2009, 6:47 pm

No ink on this body! :D
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 21st, 2009, 9:23 pm

Alright, I love this bulletin. :)
I love tattoo's I think they are a great way of self expression. I have seen some gorgeous work, and I have also seen tattoo's that make you say, "WTF?" I think as long as the tattoo's have meaning and aren't some random idea (i.e. walking into a parlor picking out the pink unicorn).
However, looking at my myspace top friends out of 12; 10 have tattoo's and my mother is one of the one's who does not.
ImageImage
These two are my friend Krystal, I like the one of the dragon and the quote says 'hate is easy love takes courage' the other one is a girl shooting herself and butterflies coming out of her head, I hate this one it is for a band.
I like this one, but i have friends who have random stuff such as; a heart with a spider web. a hand print (tribal), stars lots of friends with star tattoos.
Teach your children ABC's-Anyone But Carolina
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 21st, 2009, 9:42 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:stars lots of friends with star tattoos.

The star tattoo is supposed to symbolize great sex. It might not mean that any more, but that was it's original meaning.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 22nd, 2009, 12:05 pm

colchar wrote:

The star tattoo is supposed to symbolize great sex. It might not mean that any more, but that was it's original meaning.
Fun facts to share!
Teach your children ABC's-Anyone But Carolina
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » April 22nd, 2009, 1:44 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
colchar wrote:

Fun facts to share!
FYI - Colchar has 4 of them.