cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » April 20th, 2009, 11:24 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote: ....

You're getting pretty good at this :D .
Thanks! You, CB&B, DA, Lavabe, and so many more to list were/are such great mentors!!!!!!

BTW - How did you like the VA Brew on Saturday? The Vodka was awesome! Still working on it! :D
1. Haven't had it yet. catching up on other brew reviews. Probably tomorrow night.
2. you should still be working on it-it was a whole damn 1/5th :oops: :o ;)
LOL - :D - Guess I haven't graduated to "Lush" status, but I'll work on it!!!! :oops:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 11:24 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I had the fortunate experience this past weekend to experience a sampler of various dark brew samplers accompanied with some fish (cod) and chips. I can't remember the name of the 2nd one in the list, but I'll see if I kind find the name and results somewhere in my notes

1. Big Boss Bad Penny (made in Raleigh, NC): (BROWN ALE)
- This Engilsh-style dark brown ale is lightly sweet with a caramel and dark fruit finish.
- It was okay, but need more to sample
- I like this one! (not to mention the otherss...:-))
2. Unknown:
- Can't remember what this one was (Guess the Big Boss had it's way with me early on) ;-)
3. Duck Rabbit Milk Stout (Farmville, NC): (STOUTS/PORTERS)
- A traditional full-boided stout brew with lactose (milk-sugar). The sublte sweetness imparted by the lactose balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains which gives this beer it's black color.
- I liked this one! (not to mention the others... :-))
4. Abita Turbo Dog (made in Abita Springs, LA): (BROWN ALE)
- A dark brown ale rich in body and color with a sweet chocolate-toffee-like flavor.

All I can say in summary, there was not an empty sampler left, so I guess they all must get a thumbs up, besides the fact that at least 2 of 4 were locally NC brewed beers!

...chris
You're getting pretty good at this :D .
He takes it very seriously. I looked over while I was visiting with my freshman dorm buddies after dinner, and Chris was jotting down notes on his beer sampler. He is a studious beer connoisseur.
I do the same thing if I go to a pub and have a sampler. I'll take notes so I can remember what to write later. Can be tough to do/remember if you have 5-7 beers in a sitting, even if they are only 3-4 ounces each.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 20th, 2009, 11:25 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Cold and rainy/snowy here in Denver so, naturally, I spent the day drinking beer. I went to the Great Divide Brewery tasting room this afternoon and sampled a nice selection of ales. For my four free tasters I went with their Saison, Dunkel Weiss, Claymore Scotch Ale, and Titan IPA (before I realized they would open me a bottle of Hercules IIPA :evil: ). I also had a pint of the Dunkel Weiss and Saison, although I wasn't really paying close enough attention to provide adequate reviews here. Worry not. I bought a bomber of each and will post thoughts soon (perhaps later this evening if one gets cracked open, but that's up in the air).

Most importantly, the Great Divide Brewery has become a go-to pre-Rockies game bar for me. It's just a few blocks from Coors Field and, although its beer selection is not that of the Falling Rock Tap House (if you're reading this thread and you stop in Denver, the FRTH, with around 100 beers on tap, is a MUST STOP) the free samples make it a smart choice. Plus they gave me lots of stickets. :(|)
Some of us need to make a visit to Denver...
Which would have to involve a trade in which I get some Duck Rabbit.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 20th, 2009, 11:27 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
He takes it very seriously. I looked over while I was visiting with my freshman dorm buddies after dinner, and Chris was jotting down notes on his beer sampler. He is a studious beer connoisseur.
I do the same thing if I go to a pub and have a sampler. I'll take notes so I can remember what to write later. Can be tough to do/remember if you have 5-7 beers in a sitting, even if they are only 3-4 ounces each.
LOL - I was thinking about ya'all during the tasting, wondering whether anyone else did the same thing!!!! GMTA! :D

Can't wait to make ya'all some tini's! :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 11:32 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Cold and rainy/snowy here in Denver so, naturally, I spent the day drinking beer. I went to the Great Divide Brewery tasting room this afternoon and sampled a nice selection of ales. For my four free tasters I went with their Saison, Dunkel Weiss, Claymore Scotch Ale, and Titan IPA (before I realized they would open me a bottle of Hercules IIPA :evil: ). I also had a pint of the Dunkel Weiss and Saison, although I wasn't really paying close enough attention to provide adequate reviews here. Worry not. I bought a bomber of each and will post thoughts soon (perhaps later this evening if one gets cracked open, but that's up in the air).

Most importantly, the Great Divide Brewery has become a go-to pre-Rockies game bar for me. It's just a few blocks from Coors Field and, although its beer selection is not that of the Falling Rock Tap House (if you're reading this thread and you stop in Denver, the FRTH, with around 100 beers on tap, is a MUST STOP) the free samples make it a smart choice. Plus they gave me lots of stickets. :(|)
Some of us need to make a visit to Denver...
Which would have to involve a trade in which I get some Duck Rabbit.
I'll stock up on the barleywine, baltic porter, imperial stout and scotch ales when I see them in the fall, stuff them into ski boots and gloves and we WILL be skiing in Colorado next year.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 21st, 2009, 1:12 am

devildeac wrote:I do the same thing if I go to a pub and have a sampler. I'll take notes so I can remember what to write later. Can be tough to do/remember if you have 5-7 beers in a sitting, even if they are only 3-4 ounces each.
You know, it never occurred to me to take notes. I always thought I could remember the subtle details later that night, or even the next morning. :-j Wait, what are we talking 'bout? \:D/ :))

Seriously, you're good at this. I always enjoy your posts. Kinda makes me wanna fire up the old Recipe Thread. :ymsigh:
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2009, 7:45 am

Miles wrote:
devildeac wrote:I do the same thing if I go to a pub and have a sampler. I'll take notes so I can remember what to write later. Can be tough to do/remember if you have 5-7 beers in a sitting, even if they are only 3-4 ounces each.
You know, it never occurred to me to take notes. I always thought I could remember the subtle details later that night, or even the next morning. :-j Wait, what are we talking 'bout? \:D/ :))

Seriously, you're good at this. I always enjoy your posts. Kinda makes me wanna fire up the old Recipe Thread. :ymsigh:
Thank you.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 21st, 2009, 8:27 am

I've tried a handful of wee heavies/scotch ales over the past month. The best so far has been Alesmith Wee Heavy. Last night, I had a Skull Splitter from Orkney Brewery in Scotland. Very good beer. Very malty and fairly sweet but not overpowering. Some sweeter malty beers tend to be hard to drink because they taste almost syrupy without that hop bite..This was definitely not the case with Skull Splitter which I found very smooth. I did lack that strong earthy/peaty taste that I've found in other Scotch Ales but still very good. The 8.5% ABV is fairly well hidden. Not sure how hard it is to find, but worth trying if you see it..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 22nd, 2009, 8:29 am

devildeac wrote:My last of the Red Hook series:

Long Hammer IPA-This was the best of the sampler but as IPAs go, it was average. A bit of floral, a bit of citrus, some crystal and caramel malts for a reasonable balance. A bit sour and not in the Belgian/FlemishRodenbach good sour either. IBU about 60 and ABV was 6.8%.

Not bad enough for the "Ycch, beer" thread but I'm not sure what I'll do with the remainder of the sampler. :(
Red Hook is one of those that looks better in the box than it tastes in the bottle. I've had their samplers, but for my money I have to go elsewhere. Same with Magic Hat. For the price, they should offer more flavor and enjoyment than what they do. If I'm sampler shopping, I'll easily pick up a Saranac every time.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2009, 8:48 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Long Hammer IPA-This was the best of the sampler but as IPAs go, it was average. A bit of floral, a bit of citrus, some crystal and caramel malts for a reasonable balance. A bit sour and not in the Belgian/FlemishRodenbach good sour either. IBU about 60 and ABV was 6.8%.

Not bad enough for the "Ycch, beer" thread but I'm not sure what I'll do with the remainder of the sampler. :(
Red Hook is one of those that looks better in the box than it tastes in the bottle. I've had their samplers, but for my money I have to go elsewhere. Same with Magic Hat. For the price, they should offer more flavor and enjoyment than what they do. If I'm sampler shopping, I'll easily pick up a Saranac every time.
I wonder if it has anything to do with their purchase by the miller brewing conglomerate several yeaars ago, IIRC.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2009, 8:49 am

bluebear wrote:I've tried a handful of wee heavies/scotch ales over the past month. The best so far has been Alesmith Wee Heavy. Last night, I had a Skull Splitter from Orkney Brewery in Scotland. Very good beer. Very malty and fairly sweet but not overpowering. Some sweeter malty beers tend to be hard to drink because they taste almost syrupy without that hop bite..This was definitely not the case with Skull Splitter which I found very smooth. I did lack that strong earthy/peaty taste that I've found in other Scotch Ales but still very good. The 8.5% ABV is fairly well hidden. Not sure how hard it is to find, but worth trying if you see it..
Not that hard to find in NC. Haven't had one in a couple years I guess, but my memory is similar to your current thoughts.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 22nd, 2009, 9:42 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Agreed. I did a mix and match 6-pack a few weeks ago (just to get their last bottle of 2008 Avery Old Jubilation) and grabbed a bottle of the Long Hammer. As DD noted, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anything special. I was a bit surprised that they called it an IPA. Unlike most American IPAs it wasn't all rampaging id (ie, hops) and that's a bad thing. If I buy an IPA, I want it to be very bitter. This wasn't.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2009, 10:08 am

For rmd-your collection is now started :D

Duck-Rabbit Barleywine-Fairly smooth and drinkable for this year's release. Tons of caramel and chocolate malt with a generous hopping. Hints of smokiness and scotch with dried figs. Medium brown and clear with a modest head which actually lingers a bit. Have this with some smoked sausage or hard cheeses or out of a snifter for a nightcap. Don't drink it cold either. I'd guess 80-90 IBU and it is 11% ABV for a fact. There will be one in your stocking for next year's ski trip :D .
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 22nd, 2009, 6:45 pm

devildeac wrote:For rmd-your collection is now started :D

Duck-Rabbit Barleywine-Fairly smooth and drinkable for this year's release. Tons of caramel and chocolate malt with a generous hopping. Hints of smokiness and scotch with dried figs. Medium brown and clear with a modest head which actually lingers a bit. Have this with some smoked sausage or hard cheeses or out of a snifter for a nightcap. Don't drink it cold either. I'd guess 80-90 IBU and it is 11% ABV for a fact. There will be one in your stocking for next year's ski trip :D .
I like it :D . In return I'll start collecting some spring/summer regional seasonals (say that five times fast).
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 22nd, 2009, 10:08 pm

Great Divide Dunkel Weiss: A big case settled today, so I'm relaxing, enjoying a beer and listening to the highly under-appreciated Flying Burrito Brothers (April 6, 1969; opening for the Dead at the Avalon--very nice!) I don't have a lot of experience in this style, so I'm not reviewing against a "standard" so to speak. The beer pours a cloudy, reddish brown with a perfect amount of head. On the nose it's a nice blend of apples, smoky/roasted malt, tobacco, and some chocolate sweetness. The flavor is sweet honey and bananas with nothing of the smokiness from the nose. This would probably be good with a lot of savory dishes (the label recommends pan fried trout, which I may try this weekend) but I could also see it as a dessert beer (the label also suggests pecan pie, but if you're looking to compliment the beer, bananas foster). Highly enjoyable and a nice introduction into the style. If only I had tried CB&B's!
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » April 23rd, 2009, 9:20 am

GLBC's Conway's Irish Red. A very "pretty" beer in the glass. It went well with the spicy chili my wife had fixed us last evening. The beer was a little "toasty" to use their term, so some may not like it. On sale for $5.99 a sixer at Andersons in the Toledo area. My beer lady told me "when its gone, its gone". She said they will probably not be able to get any more.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2009, 10:03 am

rockymtn devil wrote:Great Divide Dunkel Weiss: A big case settled today, so I'm relaxing, enjoying a beer and listening to the highly under-appreciated Flying Burrito Brothers (April 6, 1969; opening for the Dead at the Avalon--very nice!) I don't have a lot of experience in this style, so I'm not reviewing against a "standard" so to speak. The beer pours a cloudy, reddish brown with a perfect amount of head. On the nose it's a nice blend of apples, smoky/roasted malt, tobacco, and some chocolate sweetness. The flavor is sweet honey and bananas with nothing of the smokiness from the nose. This would probably be good with a lot of savory dishes (the label recommends pan fried trout, which I may try this weekend) but I could also see it as a dessert beer (the label also suggests pecan pie, but if you're looking to compliment the beer, bananas foster). Highly enjoyable and a nice introduction into the style. If only I had tried CB&B's!
I may have 1 left but I am not sure it will survive until the 09/10 ski trip to Colorado by the devildeacs. Perhaps he will brew another batch for Brunchgates this fall and I'll deliver a 2009 version. Are you reading CB&B? :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 10:21 am

I'd wait til a brunchgate and the 2009 Fall brewing has begun. A Dunkelweiss will be one of my first outings, along with a scotch ale. I'm going to brew my last batch of the season this weekend, I'm taking about every grain I have left and will be making a high gravity dark ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2009, 11:07 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'd wait til a brunchgate and the 2009 Fall brewing has begun. A Dunkelweiss will be one of my first outings, along with a scotch ale. I'm going to brew my last batch of the season this weekend, I'm taking about every grain I have left and will be making a high gravity dark ale.
I'd like to make a reservation for one of those high gravity ales, please :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 11:18 am

devildeac wrote: I'd like to make a reservation for one of those high gravity ales, please :D .
Of course. That majority of that batch will be cellared until the fall.