Advice for buying airline tickets...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Advice for buying airline tickets...

Post by bjornolf » April 20th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Need airline ticket purchase advice. I haven't flown in YEARS. Which is best? Go straight to the airline, or go to expedia/hotwire/orbitz/etc.? If it's one of those sites, which, in your opinion, is best? Why? The flight is in early June, so we're still a little ways out.

Thanks.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Advice for buying airline tickets...

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 20th, 2009, 6:26 pm

I've saved a ton on my trips by going through travel sites. I've used Hotwire for my currently planned trip to San Fran, last year when I went to Vegas I found the best deal on http://www.cheapoair.com/. Gotta love that name.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 20th, 2009, 6:30 pm

bjornolf wrote:Need airline ticket purchase advice. I haven't flown in YEARS. Which is best? Go straight to the airline, or go to expedia/hotwire/orbitz/etc.? If it's one of those sites, which, in your opinion, is best? Why? The flight is in early June, so we're still a little ways out.

Thanks.

%%-
I usually check to see what Orbitz and Expedia have to offer to get an idea of the best prices, then check Southwest, Jet Blue, Air Tran (those three don't list their prices on those other sites) and AA's sites. I really liked my flight on SWA back in February when I went to SD and LA. The lowest prices, free baggage, free Diet Cokes and snacks, on time flights and courteous employees. I'll fly them anytime!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 20th, 2009, 6:48 pm

He's flying from Palm Springs to DC (IAD or DCA, doesn't matter). I don't think SWA flies to DC that often. I found a fare on hotwire with one stop for $222.40 round trip total including fees and taxes on United. Is that pretty good these days, or should I keep hunting?

Thanks.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » April 20th, 2009, 7:04 pm

www.kayak.com

Nothing else needed. Simply the best. Consolidates all of the travel sites. Fantastic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 20th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Make sure you read the fine print, some of the fairs you find include taxes and fees, and some don't. Be sure that your quotes include those fees.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 20th, 2009, 9:41 pm

bjornolf wrote:He's flying from Palm Springs to DC (IAD or DCA, doesn't matter). I don't think SWA flies to DC that often. I found a fare on hotwire with one stop for $222.40 round trip total including fees and taxes on United. Is that pretty good these days, or should I keep hunting?

Thanks.

%%-
That's pretty good, although they will charge extra for the checked luggage, beverages, etc. I think I paid $226 total for my SWA flights from RDU to San Diego and LAX (the airport, not CathyCA's exLax :) ) to RDU.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 20th, 2009, 10:56 pm

I usually go to Kayak or Farecast to find the cheapest flight & schedule, then go to the airline's web page for the actual purchase. You usually save an additional $5-10 per ticket by buying directly.

Oh, and if you're searching for DC airports, use the airport code "WAS" - it searches against DCA, IAD & BWI. BWI will always be cheapest; a flight for $226 into IAD or DCA is pretty damned good.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 20th, 2009, 11:05 pm

I go to ITA Software. It pulls from the system that travel agents use and has never failed me. It finds you every fare possible but it's up to you to go to the airline's website to book it. Only drawback is that it doesn't include Southwest.

I usually double check against Orbitz, Travelocity, & Expedia though.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 20th, 2009, 11:06 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:I usually go to Kayak or Farecast to find the cheapest flight & schedule, then go to the airline's web page for the actual purchase. You usually save an additional $5-10 per ticket by buying directly.

Oh, and if you're searching for DC airports, use the airport code "WAS" - it searches against DCA, IAD & BWI. BWI will always be cheapest; a flight for $226 into IAD or DCA is pretty damned good.
DA - curiously, do you have a preference or a science behind the type of kayak you prefer? I've done alot of boating (big to canoe) but never have kayaked and know there are various types and styles, is this like ymm bear, based on your taste buds (so to speak)!

BTW - I too love that scuba avatar pic! :mrgreen: with jealousy! :D