Duke VS. Richmond

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Duke VS. Richmond

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2009, 12:31 am

For those that can't make the game, you can watch it online at ACCselect.com.
http://all-access.cbssports.com/player. ... dia=135821
I've watched a few games before, women's basketball and football, and it's worth the price. They usually feed Bob Harris' audio as the commentary, which is a nice bonus.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke VS. Richmond

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

This outta be a real good game, it's already got plenty of drama. It's Richmond's first game since winning the FCS national championship, and the last time they visited Wallace Wade, Duke was supposed to be much improved and got totally, 100% skunked.
I'm sure there are players on both sides that were there in uniform. I'm also sure that Richmond is very used to winning, Duke is not. Even though the Spiders are in a lower NCAA level, they are not below Duke's level, or several other FBS teams. It should be a great game, and an excellent chance for the team to show who they will be this year.
I predict Duke 35 - Richmond 24
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2009, 8:24 pm

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 3rd, 2009, 10:40 pm

My wife is a Richmond alum and I've been dragging her to Duke FB games for 14 years. She's been talking a lot of smack. I'm looking forward to Duke getting some revenge.
-- DukeUsul
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » September 4th, 2009, 9:32 am

I'll say Duke 31-10. Richmond is a top-notch 1-AA team, but so was James Madison last year. The Devils are a much improved team with a lot of young talent. If they can shake off the nerves, they should win easily. I think it will be close through much of the first half, but we'll pull away.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 4th, 2009, 5:49 pm

I won't be around tomorrow evening, so I'll be relying on somebody here to give me a good recap on Sunday morning. ;)

Go Duke!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » September 5th, 2009, 6:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:For those that can't make the game, you can watch it online at ACCselect.com.
http://all-access.cbssports.com/player. ... dia=135821
I've watched a few games before, women's basketball and football, and it's worth the price. They usually feed Bob Harris' audio as the commentary, which is a nice bonus.
Haha, I'm watching it on this website... I guess they don't realize that viewers can hear everything they are saying (the announcers). They just said "I think we need to mention Dominos pizza early on in there, don't forget" hahaha.
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 5th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Seems like a weird game so far...give up the first TD via a blocked punt, notch our first points on a safety.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 5th, 2009, 7:40 pm

...and now a missed FG attempt inside 40 yards? This looks way too much like the same old shit for my tastes... :-ss ~x( x_x
OldPhiKap
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by OldPhiKap » September 5th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Well, that kind of blew.

Like to put a good spin on it but it's hard to do.

If we can't beat this type of team, we shouldn't be scheduling it.

I hope this is a wake-up call to the team to step up to the next level.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Summary:

1. We gave up 7 points on the blocked punt.
2. We failed to make 37 and 32 Yard FGs.
3. We gave up 2 HUGE gainers on their TD drives.
4. Dumass Johnny Williams gets an unsportsmanlike penalty after about a 20 yard reception to their 40 and puts us back at our own 45 and the drive stalls.
5. We ran a screen pass for -2 yards on 3rd and about 10 sometime in the 2nd half. (I think Roof phoned in that one :roll: )
6. Our KO guy botched the on-side kick and our team never had a chance to recover.
7. We have no running game.
8. Richmond is a good team. They made very, very few mistakes.
9. We dropped several passes and Thad made some really, really bad throws. Two were not within 5 yards of any of our players (bad throw or bad route?) and a couple were 5 yards over our WR head. He also threw behind several receivers (I added this comment here during the editing period after re-reading my post).

It's early but I don't see 5 wins this year. Not a good or encouraging start tonight.

Now if Thad were only 3-4 inches taller... :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 5th, 2009, 11:52 pm

devildeac wrote:Summary:

4. Dumass Johnny Williams gets an unsportsmanlike penalty after about a 20 yard reception to their 40 and puts us back at our own 45 and the drive stalls.
5. We ran a screen pass for -2 yards on 3rd and about 10 sometime in the 2nd half. (I think Roof phoned in that one :roll: )
6. Our KO guy botched the on-side kick and our team never had a chance to recover.
9. We dropped several passes and Thad made some really, really bad throws. Two were not within 5 yards of any of our players (bad throw or bad route?) and a couple were 5 yards over our WR head.

It's early but I don't see 5 wins this year. Not a good or encouraging start tonight.

Well said, I'll add thoughts tomorrow.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 6th, 2009, 12:09 am

devildeac wrote:Summary:

9. We dropped several passes and Thad made some really, really bad throws. Two were not within 5 yards of any of our players (bad throw or bad route?) and a couple were 5 yards over our WR head. He also threw behind several receivers (I added this comment here during the editing period after re-reading my post).

I never expected to see a Ted Roof game plan from David Cutcliffe, but we sure as hell did Saturday night. Bad blocking, bad kicking, bad play calling - way too much east/west and not enough north/south. And we never got to see Sean Renfree get his series or two at QB. If it weren't for the fabulous Brunchgate (thanks everyone!) to day would have been a wipe out.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 6th, 2009, 7:18 am

Cut said after the game that the team just wasn't ready for the game. How do you not get up to play your home opener against a national champion? They're the I-AA champ, but still, you have to expect them to be chomping at the bit to get a shot at the big boys to open their title defense. The I-AA champ is NEVER a cupcake.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 6th, 2009, 9:47 am

bjornolf wrote:Cut said after the game that the team just wasn't ready for the game. How do you not get up to play your home opener against a national champion? They're the I-AA champ, but still, you have to expect them to be chomping at the bit to get a shot at the big boys to open their title defense. The I-AA champ is NEVER a cupcake.

%%-
Were there any cupcakes at Brunchgate?
dukediv2012
PW in training
PW in training

Post by dukediv2012 » September 6th, 2009, 10:07 am

Last night's game was very discouraging, but it was not the end of the season for a few reasons:
1. We played the reigning National Champions (Even Michigan lost to the FCS Champion a few years ago)
2. We had a terrible special teams night and now know that Maggio will be sitting his butt on the sidelines.
3. Our defense played well on all but two drives. Think about all of the defensive stands that we had... VO and Vinny Rey had great nights.
4. Our offense racked up a lot of yards, but just couldn't convert when it was necessary.
5. We have a great coach and I truly believe that he will have the team more focused for our game next week.

The game was disappointing and even maddening, but it is not the end of the season by any means. We will rebound from this and I hope that starts today at practice.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 6th, 2009, 10:25 am

dukediv2012 wrote:Last night's game was very discouraging, but it was not the end of the season for a few reasons:
1. We played the reigning National Champions (Even Michigan lost to the FCS Champion a few years ago)
2. We had a terrible special teams night and now know that Maggio will be sitting his butt on the sidelines.
3. Our defense played well on all but two drives. Think about all of the defensive stands that we had... VO and Vinny Rey had great nights.
4. Our offense racked up a lot of yards, but just couldn't convert when it was necessary.
5. We have a great coach and I truly believe that he will have the team more focused for our game next week.

The game was disappointing and even maddening, but it is not the end of the season by any means. We will rebound from this and I hope that starts today at practice.
Your analysis of the game and what happened is the most reasonable I've read to this point. The improvements made last year were a major leap for the program, but it is the second and third years of rebuilding that will be much more difficult. Few coaches would even consider trying to rebuild this program in view of the long term neglect. Coach Cutcliffe has brought the complete package needed for this revival: experienced head coach, highly qualified staff who are experienced working as a team and a highly developed system and playbook. He's brought what is needed to build, but it's going to take a long time...... longer than it takes to build a basketball program.

I was as disappointed in this game as any I can remember (except for Carl Frank's last couple of games as a coach and the 1959 Carolina game)..... but I'm not giving up on this team.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 6th, 2009, 10:38 am

Sure I was disappointed when I got home and saw the score, but today is another day and I still believe in this team and Coach Cutcliffe. Thanks Div. Your post helps a lot.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 6th, 2009, 11:31 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Cut said after the game that the team just wasn't ready for the game. How do you not get up to play your home opener against a national champion? They're the I-AA champ, but still, you have to expect them to be chomping at the bit to get a shot at the big boys to open their title defense. The I-AA champ is NEVER a cupcake.

%%-
Were there any cupcakes at Brunchgate?
No, the desserts were CCC, some sorta very tasty brownie-like maple bars and pound cake with fresh strawberries.

The cupcakes come during BB season... :oops: :roll: :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 6th, 2009, 12:50 pm

I was more excited about football last season, than I am this season. Does this mean my expectations have gotten ahead of themselves?