Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Ballast Point Brewing-Big Eye IPA-A shout out to CB&B for his review of this which made me buy a 6er to try it. I had seen it at Total Wine before but bought the 60 Minute and the Bridgeport instead. American high alpha hops (from the label) give this a mostly citrus/grapefruit nose and taste. There is a bit of a floral bouquet, too. They describe a toasty palate from the malt but I don't appreciate that, though the balance is fairly good. This is a rather hoppy IPA, I'd guess in the 70-80 range. ABV is 7% so I am pushing the limit tonight between session beers and sipping beers. Clear and clean with a slightly orange tint to an otherwise yellow brew. This one will also appear at Brunchgate, 9/5 edition for tasting/trading.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Great Divide Titan IPA-Denver-Good stuff, rmd. This is more balanced than the Ballast Point IPA with a bit o 'pine and a bit of citrus zest. Pretty typical IPA color of slightly yellow-orange and clear. Another good summer brew to be enjoyed with minimal to mildly spiced fare off the grill. This reminds me a bit more of a typical British IPA, like Bass, than an American one. Perhaps a bit less hoppy than the Ballast Point at 60-70 IBU and the ABV is equal at 7%. I'll have a couple of these also at Brunchgat3 9/5, too.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » August 30th, 2009, 7:58 pm

devildeac wrote:Great Divide Titan IPA-Denver-Good stuff, rmd. This is more balanced than the Ballast Point IPA with a bit o 'pine and a bit of citrus zest. Pretty typical IPA color of slightly yellow-orange and clear. Another good summer brew to be enjoyed with minimal to mildly spiced fare off the grill. This reminds me a bit more of a typical British IPA, like Bass, than an American one. Perhaps a bit less hoppy than the Ballast Point at 60-70 IBU and the ABV is equal at 7%. I'll have a couple of these also at Brunchgat3 9/5, too.
Agreed, especially on the British/American IPA. I generally like the sear-the-taste-buds IPAs, but every once and while go the other direction. I love the Mendocino Pale Ale (forget which bird it's named after) because it is a great example of an English PA.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 30th, 2009, 11:07 pm

Allagash Dubbel Ale-I haven't had an Allagash product for several years. I sure missed them. Nicely representative of the style (basically a Belgian brown ale) but a bit more bite than I'd expect. I would guess the IBU about 50. Dark brown, clear pour with the expected dark fruity tastes of raisins, figs and dates. Would make a nice dinner beer with BBQ ribs/chicken/pork. Reasonable price at $9-10 for a 6er and 7% ABV. This should complete my tasters/traders for Brunchgate 9/5 edition .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2009, 11:50 pm

Mean Manalishi Double IPA-Hoppin' Frog Brewing-Akron, Ohio

ATTN: rmd and bluebear

168 IBU. Do I really need to write anything else? :oops: :roll: ;) :D

Seriously, I will tomorrow night. Outta time tonight and I'll finish the bomber tomorrow night.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 2nd, 2009, 5:46 am

devildeac wrote:Mean Manalishi Double IPA-Hoppin' Frog Brewing-Akron, Ohio

Seriously, I will tomorrow night. Outta time tonight and I'll finish the bomber tomorrow night.
This is a strange choice for a celebratory brew. 168 IBU? Did you feel okay afterwards? :ymalien: Did you pair it with anything to counter the bitterness? :-?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2009, 7:40 am

Lavabe wrote:

This is a strange choice for a celebratory brew. 168 IBU? Did you feel okay afterwards? :ymalien: Did you pair it with anything to counter the bitterness? :-?
Chosen because:

1. A whim
2. A new brew
3. 168 IBU
4. Had it in storage
5. Did not get a chance to go to Total Wine and find an "anniversary" ale

No problems afterwards. It was actually a fairly malty brew also with some toastiness and an ABV of 8.2%. I'll finish the bomber tonight and complete the review then. ;) :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 2nd, 2009, 7:47 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Chosen because:

1. A whim
2. A new brew
3. 168 IBU
4. Had it in storage
5. Did not get a chance to go to Total Wine and find an "anniversary" ale

No problems afterwards. It was actually a fairly malty brew also with some toastiness and an ABV of 8.2%. I'll finish the bomber tonight and complete the review then. ;) :D
Wow..168 IBU is one hoppy brew...I've had some Hoppin Frog before but have not seen that one around..Looking forward to reading your review..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2009, 10:36 pm

bluebear wrote:Founders Devil Dancer--A Triple IPA coming in at a whopping 13% ABV. Pours a dark orange/amber color. Pretty substantial malt kick up front with lots of sweet caramel tastes. This is followed by lots and lots of hoppy bitterness. The hops taste of pine but there is a boldness that also reminds me of some red ales. A very potent tasting beer overall. Even though it's been in the 90s up here in MA, I feel my tastes shifting already away from the hops to the maltier beers of the fall/winter..
I thought I recognized the name of this brew from the Beer Tutor list of 100 Most Bitter Beers when I looked at it tonight. I'll bet you did not realize it when you reviewed it but this brew clocks in at 200 IBU. No typo. 200 IBU. That is even more bitter than the Mean Manalishi I am about to review completely now. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2009, 10:50 pm

Mean Manalishi Double IPA-Hoppin' Frog-Akron , Ohio.

This is the "anniversary beer" I mentioned yesterday and finished tonight. This is one mean brew. Almost amber and slightly cloudy pour with mostly piney/sprucey notes with a hint a overripe grapefruity rind but really very little fruitiness. At 168 IBU, this is by far the hoppiest ale I have ever had. By comparison, Old Crustacean and 120 Minute IPA weigh in at a "mere" 120 IBU and those 2 bad boys are taste-bud destruction beverages, but really good in their own ways/categories. There is a nice amount of toastiness and malt balance in this ale and, in some ways, it reminds me of Bigfoot and Hop Devil, a barleywine and IPA, respectively. This brew is not for the faint of tongue or the thin of wallet at $10-11 for the bomber :(( . The ABV is "only" 8.2%. I sensed it to be somewhat higher, perhaps in the 9-10% range. It feels that way after 11 ounces tonight and last PM. This would match nicely with spicy dishes but would not be a dessert brew. If Total Wine has any left, CB&B may get to sample some of this at a Brunchgate and rmd get one this winter on a devildeac marital ski retreat. :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 3rd, 2009, 8:03 am

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Founders Devil Dancer--A Triple IPA coming in at a whopping 13% ABV. Pours a dark orange/amber color. Pretty substantial malt kick up front with lots of sweet caramel tastes. This is followed by lots and lots of hoppy bitterness. The hops taste of pine but there is a boldness that also reminds me of some red ales. A very potent tasting beer overall. Even though it's been in the 90s up here in MA, I feel my tastes shifting already away from the hops to the maltier beers of the fall/winter..
I thought I recognized the name of this brew from the Beer Tutor list of 100 Most Bitter Beers when I looked at it tonight. I'll bet you did not realize it when you reviewed it but this brew clocks in at 200 IBU. No typo. 200 IBU. That is even more bitter than the Mean Manalishi I am about to review completely now. :D
While it was definitely bitter and hoppy, I would never have guessed the IBUs were that high..sounds a lot like your review of Mean Manalishi where a little malt balance hides the extreme hoppiness. That's an interesting list on Beer Tutor as there are several beers that I thought tasted a lot hoppier but come in a lot lower in IBUs--most likely again to the level of malt balance...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2009, 8:08 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
While it was definitely bitter and hoppy, I would never have guessed the IBUs were that high..sounds a lot like your review of Mean Manalishi where a little malt balance hides the extreme hoppiness. That's an interesting list on Beer Tutor as there are several beers that I thought tasted a lot hoppier but come in a lot lower in IBUs--most likely again to the level of malt balance...
It just might be cool enough down here tonight to have 1/2 a bomber of BORIS, the Crusher. ;) :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 3rd, 2009, 8:21 am

Left Hand Oak Aged Imperial Stout--After CB&Bs positive review of Left Hand, I finally pulled the trigger and grabbed one of their bombers..Glad I did as this is a very good imperial stout...Pours a brownish black with a bit more head than the typical imperial stout. Up front, the taste is very smooth with sweet chocolate malts and additional sweetness from a brandy-like alcohol kick. There is some bitter hoppiness which filters in but that is fairly muted. I didn't pick up a lot of oak but would be interesting to compare to the non-oak aged version. This is a bit thinner of a stout than other similar beers which, combined with the smooth sweetness, makes it dangerously drinkable. 10% ABV. looking forward to finishing the rest of the bomber tonight. I wouldn't quite put this in my group of favorite imperial stouts but it's right on the edge. Highly recommend and I will definitely buy again...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am

devildeac wrote:It just might be cool enough down here tonight to have 1/2 a bomber of BORIS, the Crusher. ;) :D
Now you've done it...I have one of those myself which I had hoped to age for a few years in my cellar. It was out of sight and out of mind....but now I'm thinking about it. :D :lol:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2009, 8:32 am

bluebear wrote:Left Hand Oak Aged Imperial Stout--After CB&Bs positive review of Left Hand, I finally pulled the trigger and grabbed one of their bombers..Glad I did as this is a very good imperial stout...Pours a brownish black with a bit more head than the typical imperial stout. Up front, the taste is very smooth with sweet chocolate malts and additional sweetness from a brandy-like alcohol kick. There is some bitter hoppiness which filters in but that is fairly muted. I didn't pick up a lot of oak but would be interesting to compare to the non-oak aged version. This is a bit thinner of a stout than other similar beers which, combined with the smooth sweetness, makes it dangerously drinkable. 10% ABV. looking forward to finishing the rest of the bomber tonight. I wouldn't quite put this in my group of favorite imperial stouts but it's right on the edge. Highly recommend and I will definitely buy again...
Have you seen any of the barrel-aged Old Rasputin?

If so, did/will you purchase any?

I saw some at Total Wine and refused to buy it at $21 for a 16.9 ounce bottle. :(( :((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2009, 8:36 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:It just might be cool enough down here tonight to have 1/2 a bomber of BORIS, the Crusher. ;) :D
Now you've done it...I have one of those myself which I had hoped to age for a few years in my cellar. It was out of sight and out of mind....but now I'm thinking about it. :D :lol:
Ooops, sorry. ;) :D

I think I'll be at Total Wine today or tomorrow to procure a couple bottles each of Mean Manalishi and BORIS. One for Brunchgate sharing and one for 2010 Brunchgates...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 3rd, 2009, 8:59 am

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Left Hand Oak Aged Imperial Stout--After CB&Bs positive review of Left Hand, I finally pulled the trigger and grabbed one of their bombers..Glad I did as this is a very good imperial stout...Pours a brownish black with a bit more head than the typical imperial stout. Up front, the taste is very smooth with sweet chocolate malts and additional sweetness from a brandy-like alcohol kick. There is some bitter hoppiness which filters in but that is fairly muted. I didn't pick up a lot of oak but would be interesting to compare to the non-oak aged version. This is a bit thinner of a stout than other similar beers which, combined with the smooth sweetness, makes it dangerously drinkable. 10% ABV. looking forward to finishing the rest of the bomber tonight. I wouldn't quite put this in my group of favorite imperial stouts but it's right on the edge. Highly recommend and I will definitely buy again...
Have you seen any of the barrel-aged Old Rasputin?

If so, did/will you purchase any?

I saw some at Total Wine and refused to buy it at $21 for a 16.9 ounce bottle. :(( :((
I haven't seen any around here at all--and I've definitely been looking for it. But $21 for a 16.9 oz bottle would likely be too steep for me as well. I've paid that for a few bombers and that hurt enough but I could justify getting a few nights out of it...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2009, 12:19 am

A tip of the Blue Devil FB cap to bluebear for this recommendation: BORIS

Bodacious
Oatmeal
Russian
Imperial
Stout

As in BORIS, the Crusher-Hoppin' Frog Brewing Company-Akron, Ohio-This became my 2nd fav Imperial Stout tonight after the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. This is a deep, deep brown and nearly black beer with a bit of a tan head which does not linger. This SOOOO much reminds me of the BBCS with its dark chocolate flavors and its roasty, malty tastes with a small hop bite. There may be a hint of anise and a hint of cigar but it really is like a semi-sweet Hershey's drink with a stiff shot of aged bourbon. It is quite smooth and silky from the oatmeal and is deceptively potent at 9.4% ABV and 60 IBU. Highly drinkable and dangerous. I rarely do this but I finished a bomber tonight over about 90 minutes and I'll be at Total Wine tomorrow to buy another Mean Manalishi and a BORIS for future Brunchgate considerations and/or trading and/or aging.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 5th, 2009, 7:49 pm

devildeac wrote:A tip of the Blue Devil FB cap to bluebear for this recommendation: BORIS

Bodacious
Oatmeal
Russian
Imperial
Stout

As in BORIS, the Crusher-Hoppin' Frog Brewing Company-Akron, Ohio-This became my 2nd fav Imperial Stout tonight after the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. This is a deep, deep brown and nearly black beer with a bit of a tan head which does not linger. This SOOOO much reminds me of the BBCS with its dark chocolate flavors and its roasty, malty tastes with a small hop bite. There may be a hint of anise and a hint of cigar but it really is like a semi-sweet Hershey's drink with a stiff shot of aged bourbon. It is quite smooth and silky from the oatmeal and is deceptively potent at 9.4% ABV and 60 IBU. Highly drinkable and dangerous. I rarely do this but I finished a bomber tonight over about 90 minutes and I'll be at Total Wine tomorrow to buy another Mean Manalishi and a BORIS for future Brunchgate considerations and/or trading and/or aging.
What a great beer..Glad you enjoyed..Keep your eyes peeled for the barrel aged version which I think is out and about. I haven't tried it yet to compare but have heard great things about it..
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 6th, 2009, 11:32 am

As I reported over in the stadium, Sam Adams(brewer,patriot,my hero), has released this year's edition of Oktoberfest brew.
Came in damned handy last night as it mercifully allowed me to stare woefully at the insides of my eyelids for most of the 4th quarter. It also was damned tasty, to boot. Even better than any of Maggio's boots.

I still possess optimism.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"