Re: LTE 2.0

Post by wilson » September 2nd, 2009, 11:02 pm

We're just a hair short of 60% of the original LTE. :ymparty:
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Chat room name -- The poll

Post by Sue71 » September 3rd, 2009, 12:10 am

I've never struck K-ville. I did, however, streak twice in February 1974. The first, on a Thursday night, there were ~200 students who struck. I was interviewed by the Chronicle afterward (I did put my shorts back on before we went up to their office) and he asked me if there would be another streak on Friday night. It took me about a nanosecond to answer yes. Second question was "would women streak too?" and I said sure, why not? Well, after classes and lunch on Friday I thought it might be nice to advertise the streak I had "scheduled" for later that night. I went to one of the computer terminals scattered around campus (remember, this is 1974 and to use a computer, which was housed at TUCC (Triangle University Computer Center) somewhere in the RTP, and to write a program you typed your code into a machine that spit out a punch card. Next to the terminal was a dot matrix printer which had 17" wide paper. I got some scrap paper (OK, it was unused, but after I wrote on it it was scrap) and started making up signs. After several iterations of what to say, the final version was
First annual
coed come as you are
streak on the main quad at 1 AM!
and I put those up all over west campus. Even on a car belonging to WRDU (Channel 28 in Durham). I later called the TV station and finagled an interview on the 11 pm news that night. I was interviewed as a blacked out silhouette to protect my identity. Lou Bello, who did the sports during the broadcast, ending his segment by saying "Streak on!" Also, I was doing the 10:00 pm sports report on the campus radio station, at that time WDBS. I pre-recorded a preview of the streak, saying I had gotten the information from and informed source, which was me of course :D It was the last time I did the late night sports for WDBS. Hey, if you can't take a joke, ...

Anyway, at 1 a.m., there were many hundreds of people milling around the main quad. You must remember that this was a time of great apathy on campus. To see that I had motivated that many people to come out on a cold (~28F) February night to either participate or watch was very inspirational. We gatherer around the JB Duke statue, and at 1 I dropped trow, as did hundreds of other folks. We ran around the the main quad, down towards the clock tower, then down towards the old hospital entrance, back to the bus station and down to the traffic circle. From there we ran to Hanes House (at the time the undergrad nurses' dorm). Someone produced a key card and when they handed it to me we ran into the lobby and around the first three floors of Hanes. Ask my wife or Mrs. DD - they were there, huddled inside their rooms with the doors locked, scared to death. My future wife's roommate was in a ladies room, and she stood on a toilet seat to "hide" the entire time =)) After we left Hanes, we ran through the woods back towards west campus, and it was at this time that someone did a count. We had 623 streakers, and this was after running about a mile and a half. There were probably many more who had dropped out by this time, but for one night Duke held the record for the highest number of streakers on a college campus. It was broken the next night somewhere in California, but they had much nicer weather... For those of us who ran the whole way, we estimated we ran about 2 1/2 miles in the 28 degree weather. And yes, there were about a dozen women who joined in. One was a rush date I had had the year before, and all I could say to her was "now you get naked?" =)) =))

A good time was had by all, nobody got hurt, and I didn't get kicked out of school. But it was suggested by Dean Douthat that I "not do it again"... :D

That's my official story, and I'm sticking to it!

I do not plan to streak on Saturday at Brunchgate. Nor at Tilly's party on the 19th. Sorry to disappoint the ladies :D

Most shocking part of the story: You ran 2 1/2 miles! :D
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 3rd, 2009, 2:58 am

Five hours, that's all I'm good for at the moment. Then I'm wide awake. This sucks!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 3rd, 2009, 5:35 am

Sweet! I'm the first to post in the LTE at a "reasonable" hour.

Though, I'd rather be i-) i-) i-) i-) i-) .
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 3rd, 2009, 6:11 am

Morning, all! 5:00 a.m. and I'm wide awake! Two nights in a row, after 2 days in a row that I've taken a 24 hr Sudafed for congestion. Both times my heart has been racing. :-? Methinks the 24 hr Sudafed is a bad idea.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 3rd, 2009, 6:33 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Morning, all! 5:00 a.m. and I'm wide awake! Two nights in a row, after 2 days in a row that I've taken a 24 hr Sudafed for congestion. Both times my heart has been racing. :-? Methinks the 24 hr Sudafed is a bad idea.
Why not 12-hr Sudafed?

My heart races with some meds like Sudafed. I now go with the weaker stuff.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 3rd, 2009, 6:35 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Five hours, that's all I'm good for at the moment. Then I'm wide awake. This sucks!
Hopefully, moving will help cure this problem. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 3rd, 2009, 6:43 am

Yeah, I think it is pending move stress that is causing my restlessness. I liked being able to sleep for 6 hours... ;)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 3rd, 2009, 7:56 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Morning, all! 5:00 a.m. and I'm wide awake! Two nights in a row, after 2 days in a row that I've taken a 24 hr Sudafed for congestion. Both times my heart has been racing. :-? Methinks the 24 hr Sudafed is a bad idea.
Why not 12-hr Sudafed?

My heart races with some meds like Sudafed. I now go with the weaker stuff.
The store was out of the 12 hr variety. That's what I normally get.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2009, 8:16 am

Just a heads up here that you FB fans may want to check out the Countdown to FB thread on The Stadium. I posted a teaser a couple minutes ago... ;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2009, 8:44 am

devildeac wrote:Just a heads up here that you FB fans may want to check out the Countdown to FB thread on The Stadium. I posted a teaser a couple minutes ago... ;) :D
My first thought when I read that is Facebook.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 3rd, 2009, 8:51 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukeUsul wrote: My understanding is that the proper flossing method is to not just slide the floss up and down, but while it's all the way into the gum, to curve the floss and wrap it around the base of the crown, along the gum line. This way you do get some contact all the way around the tooth.
And just how the fuck are you supposed to do that?????
Let's say you're flossing between your top two, front teeth. If you look closely, you'll see that the gum tissue at the base of the two teeth forms a "V". Basically, once you're past the "contact points" of the teeth with your floss, you pull to the right with both hands, wrapping the floss around the right tooth, and go up the right side of the "V" as far as it'll go without hurting. Then you pull it out to the space between the "V" and the "contact point", then you wrap it around the left tooth by pulling both hands left and go up the left side of the "V". It sounds complicated, but once you do it once or twice, you can do it pretty fast.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 3rd, 2009, 9:19 am

Just to add to the flossing information - if you take the Real Age test, flossing adds several years to your life expectancy.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 3rd, 2009, 9:20 am

My theory is that people who floss tend to do other healthy things and it isn't really the flossing that extends your life. It is the overall healthier lifestyle. But if it gets you to floss, I go with it.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » September 3rd, 2009, 9:20 am

And yes, I have fallen out of the habit.
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 3rd, 2009, 9:22 am

Yea, supposedly you build up a lot of "poisons" and rotting food along your gum line that are taken directly into the blood stream through the gums. Flossing keeps you from taking in these poisons and rot, and, over a 70 year life, can make a real difference. Supposedly.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 3rd, 2009, 9:29 am

Damn moving violation tickets. I was coming home from dropping off the kids at carpool this morning, and I got a ticket for "failure to obey highway signs" for a Hollywood stop at a stop sign. The annoying thing about it is that the sergeant that gave me the ticket told me that there weren't any points involved. That sounded odd to me, so I looked it up on the Virginia website when I got home. Sure enough, it said it was a 3 point violation. I called the police station, and they said they didn't know, and I had to call the county seat magistrate. Sure enough, 3 points.

I understand that the officer on the street has little to do with the fines and points system, but they should NOT be telling people stuff like that if they don't know. I've had a clean record for over 5 years, so other than risking a hike in my insurance, which sucks huge time, it's really not a big deal to me. However, if I had points on my license and this put me over the license suspension line, that could be REALLY bad. It's really just a dang fund raiser for the city at the end of the fiscal year. They've been out in force this week giving tickets to everybody. It just annoys me that I get 3 points for their fundraiser when they tell me it's NO points. AAAAAAAARGH! X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(

Sorry, rant over.

Back to your regularly scheduled PWing.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 3rd, 2009, 9:33 am

bjornolf wrote:Damn moving violation tickets. I was coming home from dropping off the kids at carpool this morning, and I got a ticket for "failure to obey highway signs" for a Hollywood stop at a stop sign. The annoying thing about it is that the sergeant that gave me the ticket told me that there weren't any points involved. That sounded odd to me, so I looked it up on the Virginia website when I got home. Sure enough, it said it was a 3 point violation. I called the police station, and they said they didn't know, and I had to call the county seat magistrate. Sure enough, 3 points.

I understand that the officer on the street has little to do with the fines and points system, but they should NOT be telling people stuff like that if they don't know. I've had a clean record for over 5 years, so other than risking a hike in my insurance, which sucks huge time, it's really not a big deal to me. However, if I had points on my license and this put me over the license suspension line, that could be REALLY bad. It's really just a dang fund raiser for the city at the end of the fiscal year. They've been out in force this week giving tickets to everybody. It just annoys me that I get 3 points for their fundraiser when they tell me it's NO points. AAAAAAAARGH! X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(

Sorry, rant over.

%%-
Fundraiser? Are you kidding me? The law is the law.

I do agree with you, if the police don't know the points question, they should say they don't know and refer you to the magistrates office.
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 3rd, 2009, 9:52 am

TillyGalore wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Damn moving violation tickets. I was coming home from dropping off the kids at carpool this morning, and I got a ticket for "failure to obey highway signs" for a Hollywood stop at a stop sign. The annoying thing about it is that the sergeant that gave me the ticket told me that there weren't any points involved. That sounded odd to me, so I looked it up on the Virginia website when I got home. Sure enough, it said it was a 3 point violation. I called the police station, and they said they didn't know, and I had to call the county seat magistrate. Sure enough, 3 points.

Sorry, rant over.

%%-
Fundraiser? Are you kidding me? The law is the law.

I do agree with you, if the police don't know the points question, they should say they don't know and refer you to the magistrates office.
It's a fundraiser. Believe me, they do it all the time. If you never see a cop, and then two weeks before the end of the fiscal year, you see them on every street corner in your town giving tickets left and right, that's a fundraiser. I have SEVERAL cousins and a few friends who are state troopers and local cops and even military police, and every single one of them talks about their "fundraisers." I get it, I probably broke the law, so I deserve the ticket, don't get me wrong. But she didn't ANSWER the points question, she VOLUNTEERED this information to me. She said as she ripped the ticket off her pad, and I quote, "Now, it's an important law, obviously, but it won't be too big a deal, cause you won't get any points for it." I didn't ask, she TOLD me this cause I was upset and contrite.

On top of that, she was directly behind me when the "violation" occurred. I don't see how she could know, for 100% certain, that I didn't come to a complete stop. I honestly don't remember whether I did it or not. If I WAS rolling, it was at about a foot per minute. However, I know that I'm usually very careful about stopping at stop signs, and if she hadn't told me there wouldn't be any points, I might have tried to discuss it with her a little more.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 3rd, 2009, 10:12 am

DukieInKansas wrote:My theory is that people who floss tend to do other healthy things and it isn't really the flossing that extends your life. It is the overall healthier lifestyle. But if it gets you to floss, I go with it.
I would agree - I actually have similar theory about smokers (no, I am no way hinting that smoking isn't horrible for you!)
Generally they aren't organic eating excercise freaks ( :D ) I'm not sure how you divide up the risk.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.