2009 Atlanta Braves Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

2009 Atlanta Braves Thread

Post by Lavabe » April 9th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Lowe
McCann
... and WHO plays centerfield?

Wow... just wow! :)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: 2009 Atlanta Braves Thread

Post by colchar » April 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm

I didn't know anyone still watched baseball.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 9th, 2009, 10:27 pm

colchar wrote:I didn't know anyone still watched baseball.
I can understand your confusion as it relates to the Atlanta Braves, but the O's or Nat's aren't anything to bet your paycheck against! Being a former baseball guy, you can bet your bottom dollar that there is at least 1 baseball fan out there!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Glavine

Post by Lavabe » April 15th, 2009, 6:47 am

2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

I'll go ahead and say it

Post by Lavabe » April 29th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Are the Braves any better than a .500 team this year?

What's their biggest need?
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 29th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Gooooooooo Red Sox!!!

That is all. %%-
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: I'll go ahead and say it

Post by wilson » April 29th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Lavabe wrote:Are the Braves any better than a .500 team this year?

Are you kidding? The Braves' starting pitching is outstanding, the best in the East if Hamels continues to struggle with injuries. The Braves just need to start hitting the ball. No, this is definitely not just a .500 team.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 29th, 2009, 3:52 pm

wilson wrote:

Are you kidding? The Braves' starting pitching is outstanding, the best in the East if Hamels continues to struggle with injuries. The Braves just need to start hitting the ball. No, this is definitely not just a .500 team.
No, I'm not kidding. I haven't been able to follow as closely, which is why I posed the question.

I see a .500 team on the road and at home, and a team that struggled against the Piraats (see devildeac post). If hitting's an issue, are we going to see a familiar problem: great starting pitching carries the team to the seventh, straining the relief staff, resulting in lost games?

Your paradigm of pessimism,
Lavabe
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 29th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Yeah, you're definitely not looking close enough. The overextension of the bullpen in recent years has not been a matter of struggling bats, but of ineffective starters, who too often got knocked out in about the 4th inning. This year, our starters' ERA is 3.48 so far, an excellent number for the whole rotation, and they have averaged just a hair under six innings per start (throw out the outlying, rain-soaked home opener, when Lowe had to sit following the two-hour rain delay after the 3rd inning, and that average is easily above six innings).
As for the Pirates, against whom the Braves admittedly struggled, they have the second-best team ERA in baseball, and they followed their two-of-three series victory against the Braves with a sweep of the first-place Marlins.
The Braves are just fine.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Uh oh ...

Post by Lavabe » May 1st, 2009, 2:05 pm

Who's on the mound tonight?

Braves: Lowe
Astros:
MIKE FREAKIN' HAMPTON
Discuss! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Uh oh ...

Post by devildeac » May 1st, 2009, 10:50 pm

Lavabe wrote:Who's on the mound tonight?

Braves: Lowe
Astros:
MIKE FREAKIN' HAMPTON
Discuss! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
I wonder if he'll get hurt walking out of the dugout? :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Mike Hampton Night

Post by Lavabe » May 2nd, 2009, 7:15 am

Braves win 7-2 over Mike Hampton, who lasted 4.1 innings.

Hampton was able to pitch, allegedly. ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 3rd, 2009, 6:52 pm

Braves lose again to the Astros. :-o They now rest two games below .500, both at home and overall. UGH! :-ss :-ss
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 23rd, 2009, 10:49 pm

After one of the best games I can remember from about the past five seasons last night, the Braves take another solid game from the (erstwhile) first-place Blue Jays, 4-3. I sat about fifteen rows behind home plate for this one. After the mutts' lucky escape vs. the red sux, the Braves still stand 1.5 games out of first, but the good guys really appear to be putting some solid all-around baseball together.
I am now 4-3 on the season at beautiful Turner Field.
I flippin' love the Atlanta Braves. ^:)^
And for the record, the "lovestruck" smiley doesn't work; it gets rendered as "mad".
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 24th, 2009, 5:02 pm

...and the Braves finish out the series sweep against the first-place Blue Jays in resounding fashion, pounding out 7 runs in the 7th inning (some fan from Americus, GA won just north of $11,000 because of that occurrence) and cruising to a 10-2 victory. The red sux are currently beating up on the mutts, and the fillies, courtesy of yet another blown save by Brad Lidge, are locked in a 3-3 tie in the 11th. If the Yankees can squeak that one out, the Braves will be but half a game out of first place!
Knock on wood, but the pitching (except perhaps Peter Moylan) is getting ever more solid, and the bats are also waking up. The Braves have played very good baseball for the past two weeks-plus.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 24th, 2009, 6:14 pm

wilson wrote: And for the record, the "lovestruck" smiley doesn't work; it gets rendered as "mad".

There were some potential misunderstandings between my intended and myself because of that...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 2nd, 2009, 4:43 am

wilson wrote:

As we go through the halfway point in the season, it looks as though the Bravos are three games out of first, but they are having a lot of trouble crashing through the .500 mark.

Do we see a return of Tim Hudson this season?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 2nd, 2009, 7:44 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:

As we go through the halfway point in the season, it looks as though the Bravos are three games out of first, but they are having a lot of trouble crashing through the .500 mark.

Do we see a return of Tim Hudson this season?
Huddy's first rehab start is scheduled for July 19 in Myrtle Beach. Top to bottom, the Braves just might have the best starting pitching in baseball. On top of that, dare I say that they may finally have hit upon a reasonably productive lineup? Kudos to Bobby for throwing his silly perennial "loyalty" out the window and going with the scorching Martin Prado over Kelly Johnson. It will also be nice to get Omar Infante (who was batting well over .300 before his injury) back within the next couple of weeks.
The boys really need to finish this series out the right way...get the sweep; no more "happy with 2 out of 3" nonsense. That would be a big statement to me and the rest of the division that they intend to be in the race, after all.
I think the Fillies are finally demonstrating what we've known for a while...that you can't win a division with the worst team ERA in your league. The mutts may or may not have a late-season push in them. Methinks they have too much talent not to do anything, but me also thinks that they're just plain old. That leaves the Marlins. They have been playing really good ball lately, and it'll be interesting to see if they can sustain it this time, or if they suffer another swoon, like they did in late April/early May.
As I said about two weeks into the season, 85 wins just might take this division, and then be quite competitive in the playoffs (a la the 2002 Yankees and 2006 Cardinals).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 2nd, 2009, 5:01 pm

[

Are you kidding? The Braves' starting pitching is outstanding, the best in the East if Hamels continues to struggle with injuries. The Braves just need to start hitting the ball. No, this is definitely not just a .500 team.[/quote]

Do we see a return of Tim Hudson this season?[/quote]
Huddy's first rehab start is scheduled for July 19 in Myrtle Beach. Top to bottom, the Braves just might have the best starting pitching in baseball. On top of that, dare I say that they may finally have hit upon a reasonably productive lineup? Kudos to Bobby for throwing his silly perennial "loyalty" out the window and going with the scorching Martin Prado over Kelly Johnson. It will also be nice to get Omar Infante (who was batting well over .300 before his injury) back within the next couple of weeks.
The boys really need to finish this series out the right way...get the sweep; no more "happy with 2 out of 3" nonsense. That would be a big statement to me and the rest of the division that they intend to be in the race, after all.
I think the Fillies are finally demonstrating what we've known for a while...that you can't win a division with the worst team ERA in your league. The mutts may or may not have a late-season push in them. Methinks they have too much talent not to do anything, but me also thinks that they're just plain old. That leaves the Marlins. They have been playing really good ball lately, and it'll be interesting to see if they can sustain it this time, or if they suffer another swoon, like they did in late April/early May.
As I said about two weeks into the season, 85 wins just might take this division, and then be quite competitive in the playoffs (a la the 2002 Yankees and 2006 Cardinals).[/quote]
Yea, if Kortchman and Francouer (sp?) and (sp?) could hit worth a damn...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 2nd, 2009, 5:16 pm

devildeac wrote: Yea, if Kortchman and Francouer (sp?) and (sp?) could hit worth a damn...
Kotchman actually started the season plenty serviceably, but has flagged of late. He's been battling a couple of little nagging injuries.
As for Francoeur, yes, he's been an unqualified disaster for a season-plus now. But if you pay attention, he's been putting some pretty good swings on the ball in the last couple of weeks, including several easy, take-what-they-give-you opposite-field singles. He is clearly physically capable of being a .290 or so hitter, but I dunno if he'll ever get his noggin straight. Immensely frustrating.