Wilson and other grammarians, have at it! Click inside!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Wilson and other grammarians, have at it! Click inside!

Post by CathyCA » August 31st, 2009, 8:11 pm

Here is the letter that my kid's 7th grade language arts teacher sent home to her students today. I have copied it verbatim below.

Please feel free to correct, amend, make suggestions. Do I go to the principal with my obvious concerns? I can't believe that the person who published this grammatical mess is certified to teach English to my son and to my neighbors' kids.

To: Parents of Seventh Grade Students
From: Ms. (Well, she isn't Mrs. Tennant), Language Arts Teacher

Reading is an important part of any curriculum. It helps develop vocabulary, improve comprehension skills, and enhance writing skills. I believe that students should read at least a few minutes each day.

I also believe that student's should be given the opportunity to be introduced to many different genres. Being introduced to different types of genre of literature will enhance the student's knowledge of how different genres are written and will cause students to become well rounded readers.

Students will be asked to read a certain number of books every nine weeks, and the books read must fit into the genre category assigned by myself for each nine weeks.

The student will be graded on whether or not he/she read the assigned number of books, whether or not the books read were within their AR level, and the test average for each book read. This grade will count 15% towards the student's final grade for the nine weeks. This has already been explained to your child, and he/she should have already signed below that they understand and are aware of the criteria related to AR.

The reading schedule for this year is listed below. Once you have looked over the schedule, please sign below to let me know that you are aware of the information presented on this page. Working together we can assist your child in having a successful year.

1st Nine Weeks (2 Books)
Realistic Fiction
Fantasy

2nd Nine Weeks (3 Books)
Science Fiction
Adventure
Mystery

3rd Nine Weeks (3 Books)
Autobiography/Biography
Historical Fiction
Animal Fiction

4th Nine Weeks (2 Books)
Nonfiction-Topic
Anything the student would like to read
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Wilson and other grammarians, have at it! Click inside!

Post by Lavabe » August 31st, 2009, 8:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:Here is the letter that my kid's 7th grade language arts teacher sent home to her students today. I have copied it verbatim below.

Please feel free to correct, amend, make suggestions. Do I go to the principal with my obvious concerns? I can't believe that the person who published this grammatical mess is certified to teach English to my son and to my neighbors' kids.

To: Parents of Seventh Grade Students
From: Ms. (Well, she isn't Mrs. Tennant), Language Arts Teacher

Reading is an important part of any curriculum. It helps develop vocabulary, improve comprehension skills, and enhance writing skills. I believe that students should read at least a few minutes each day.

I also believe that student's should be given the opportunity to be introduced to many different genres. Being introduced to different types of genre of literature will enhance the student's knowledge of how different genres are written and will cause students to become well rounded readers.

Students will be asked to read a certain number of books every nine weeks, and the books read must fit into the genre category assigned by myself for each nine weeks.

The student will be graded on whether or not he/she read the assigned number of books, whether or not the books read were within their AR level, and the test average for each book read. This grade will count 15% towards the student's final grade for the nine weeks. This has already been explained to your child, and he/she should have already signed below that they understand and are aware of the criteria related to AR.

The reading schedule for this year is listed below. Once you have looked over the schedule, please sign below to let me know that you are aware of the information presented on this page. Working together we can assist your child in having a successful year.

1st Nine Weeks (2 Books)
Realistic Fiction
Fantasy

2nd Nine Weeks (3 Books)
Science Fiction
Adventure
Mystery

3rd Nine Weeks (3 Books)
Autobiography/Biography
Historical Fiction
Animal Fiction

4th Nine Weeks (2 Books)
Nonfiction-Topic
Anything the student would like to read
My head is spinning. @-) X( :-o I'm taking a walk with Georgia the Wonderdog. Hopefully she can make sense of this.

"I believe student's?"

"A few minutes each day?"

Time for Georgia the Wonderdog to lower my blood pressure. :o3
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 31st, 2009, 8:30 pm

All I have to say is Thank God for spell check.
Who knows what this would have looked like without it? :shock: :ymalien:
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 31st, 2009, 8:33 pm

My gast is flabbered.
I actually have a whole corrected version, but text formatting evidently doesn't carry over from Microsoft Word.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 31st, 2009, 8:43 pm

That was painful. :((
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 31st, 2009, 8:46 pm

Oy gevalt. That is frightening. She must have graduated from the dump on the hump :lol:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 31st, 2009, 8:53 pm

I just loved the fact that an English teacher managed to hit one of my grammatical pet peeves (making a word plural by adding 's).
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 31st, 2009, 9:20 pm

wilson wrote:My gast is flabbered.
I actually have a whole corrected version, but text formatting evidently doesn't carry over from Microsoft Word.
I hope you find some way to transfer it. I can't wait to see it! :D
Class of 2014
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 31st, 2009, 9:25 pm

That was terrible. And I think you absolutely must go to the principal with your concerns as that teacher isn't qualified to teach grammar to anyone.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 31st, 2009, 9:26 pm

That was terrible. And I think you absolutely must go to the principal with your concerns as that teacher isn't qualified to teach grammar to anyone. My roommate's Dad, who is at our place right now, is a teacher and I let him read that letter. He agrees that you must bring your concerns to the principal. He isn't sure any good will come of it, but he still thinks it needs to be done.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 31st, 2009, 9:30 pm

I believe that I could have written a letter that made more sense, was easier to read, and had fewer grammar mistakes when I was in 7th grade. This is absolutely ridiculous!

I am at a loss for words. ~x( :-??
Class of 2014
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 31st, 2009, 10:24 pm

CellR wrote:All I have to say is Thank God for spell check.
Who knows what this would have looked like without it? :shock: :ymalien:
Ok, don't rely on Microsoft to help (sorry DA), but I pasted this into MS WORD and all is fine... leave it to ..... "I'm thinking programmers", to communicate how we should communicate correctly.... I am by NOOOOO stretch a grammatical police man, but learned a few things along the way!!!! :D
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 31st, 2009, 10:28 pm

I'm back from walking with Georgia, and I still can't get it out of my mind. ILJ once told me that her mom pulled her out of a class in which the English teacher asked if anyone could spell flow. F-L-O-W. "No. That's not correct." F-L-O-W? "No. The flo' you stand on."
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 31st, 2009, 11:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:I'm back from walking with Georgia, and I still can't get it out of my mind. ILJ once told me that her mom pulled her out of a class in which the English teacher asked if anyone could spell flow. F-L-O-W. "No. That's not correct." F-L-O-W? "No. The flo' you stand on."
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2009, 8:25 am

Let's see how many times you can cram "genre" into a two sentence paragraph.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 1st, 2009, 8:59 am

That is awful.
A few years ago I managed to get a substitute fired - she was filling in for a teacher on maternity leave and sent a letter home (damn I wish I had it!) that makes that one look like a literary marvel. She was teaching 6th grade and if I recall their were 11 or 12 spelling errors in three paragraphs including using the wrong 'their' and the wrong 'to'!

Take it to the principal - the woman is teaching language arts! She should have at least a passing grasp of the language!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 1st, 2009, 9:22 am

Lavabe wrote:I'm back from walking with Georgia, and I still can't get it out of my mind. ILJ once told me that her mom pulled her out of a class in which the English teacher asked if anyone could spell flow. F-L-O-W. "No. That's not correct." F-L-O-W? "No. The flo' you stand on."
That's no ho, my sister's a ho! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 1st, 2009, 9:34 am

Reading it is as painful as listening to fingernails on a blackboard. The teacher is a disaster, bless her heart. She's probably in that genra of teachers who could care less. ;;)
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 1st, 2009, 12:12 pm

After my post earlier in this thread I attempted to revise my post once my roommate's Dad had read the letter. In doing so I screwed up and created another post in which I quoted myself. Could one of the mods do me a favour and clean that up for me? Thanks.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 1st, 2009, 12:20 pm

So, here's what I sent to the principal:

Dear Ms. "Principal:"

I am enclosing a copy of the letter that Ms. NotTennant sent home to parents last week. I have not discussed this matter with Ms. NotTennant, and I have hesitated to approach you with my concerns because this is an extremely sensitive personnel matter. I also hesitate to approach you with my concerns for fear of retaliation against my child, with whom I have not discussed this matter. However, I am flabbergasted that the person who published the attached grammatical mess is certified to teach English language arts to my son and to his classmates, and so I come to you confidentially to share my concerns.

I comprehend the gist of the message this letter is conveying. The problem is that the person who wrote this letter is supposed to be teaching proper English grammar and construction to my child. By way of example, I can point out a few of the many regrettable errors contained in Ms. NotTennant’s letter:

· In paragraph 2, she used the possessive “student’s” instead of the plural “students.”

· The second sentence in paragraph 2 is awkward. A better way to write this sentence would be: “Exposure to different genres of literature will enhance students’ knowledge of literature and will encourage them to become more well-rounded readers.” In the teacher’s original sentence, she used both the singular and the plural form of “student.” The teacher should choose whether she is referring to one student or to a group of students, and should stick with either the singular or the plural in a paragraph, and certainly in a sentence.

· In paragraph 3, she used the reflexive pronoun “myself” incorrectly. Additionally, the teacher wrote that sentence in passive voice.

· In paragraph 4, the teacher began the sentence by using third person singular (he/she) and then finished the sentence incorrectly by using the third person plural pronoun (they) to refer to its antecedent (he/she).

I learned many of these rules in my own seventh grade English language arts class thirty-five years ago. I do not expect that Ms. NotTennant would use White & Strunk’s Elements of Style to teach English to her seventh grade students, but I do expect that she would model the correct usage of the grammar she is supposed to be teaching when she sends letters to the parents of her students. Quite frankly, this letter is representative of your school, and it does not reflect positively on your faculty and staff.

I intend to work closely with my son at home on his English language arts homework. I will be closely monitoring the assignments and assisting him throughout the year. Please understand that I am trying to strike a very delicate balance here by providing him with instruction at home, while attempting to uphold the authority and respect that his teacher deserves, ex officio, by virtue of her position. I do not intend to undermine Ms. NotTennant, but I do intend to ensure that my child learns seventh grade English language arts, whether or not his teacher has a passing grasp of the curriculum.

Is there a way that you can help Ms. NotTennant? Can you proofread her communications before she sends them? Is there a remedial class or workshop that she can attend? Is there a mentoring program available to provide her with an experienced, knowledgeable mentoring teacher? Is there a solution to this problem?

I thank you in advance for your kind assistance, cooperation, and sensitivity in responding to my concerns.

Very truly yours,

CathyCA
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith