Brunchgate, 9/5 Edition

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Brunchgate, 9/5 Edition

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 1:15 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Ditbd pointed me out to this competition listed on one of the facebook groups.
This year the real competition isn't on the field, it's in the parking lot. We're looking for the country's top tailgating "professionals" and we're willing to handsomely reward them for their skills. Just tell us why you or someone you know should be Duke’s entry in the first ever Competitive Tailgating Series. Each winner gets $1500 worth to essential tailgating gear, and is entered to compete as their school's representative in the inaugural season of the Tailgating National Championship. Teams will submit pictures, videos, stories, etc. each month and football fans everywhere will judge if Blue Devils tailgaters are the best. If so, the winner goes to the BCS championship game - and their school is immortalized as the 2009 Tailgating National Champion. Simple as that. Send your entries to bcts@bubbakeg.com. We'll begin selecting our contenders on 8/21/09.
Oh, we are SO going to enter this competition and WIN it.

I'll be at the Brunchgate. I'm still thinking of what I'm bringing. It's gotta be something that can survive the 2 hour trip. I'm open to suggestions.
1. CCC
2. Brown ale
3. ORC
4. Brown ale
5. Pound cake and fruit topping
6. Brown ale

Any of 'em would be great with Tim's beef brisket...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 29th, 2009, 3:30 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Will anyone know where are tent is going to be? I'm assuming they won't actually have them set up at 9am, but it would be helpful for TNT to know at least the general area so we aren't moving hot grills around at noon.
The email to Ozzie said tents would be set up by noon. I'd bet they set them up in the Card Gym lot adjacent to the sidewalk where the Blue Devil walk takes place. Even if Tim arrives at 9 AM, I'd bet he sees folks setting the tents up at that time and can park accordingly.
The email said they (Duke) would be there setting up the tents at 9 a.m. (probably well before that - they are setting up 18 tents). The tent closes to Cameron is tent #1. I'm sure TNT will be able to ask someone where #8 will be if it is not up when he gets there. I expect the tents to be on the "woods" side of the sidewalk on not actually in the parking lot, but I could be wrong. I think the parking spot is supposed to have my name on it so it is close to the tent - Tim, you can go ahead and park in that spot when you get there, I'll find another one in the lot when I get there in the afternoon.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 29th, 2009, 3:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I expect the tents to be on the "woods" side of the sidewalk on not actually in the parking lot, but I could be wrong.
If that is the case it would be awesome, because I was expecting we'd be in the lot. I was thinking our "shade" tent could go on the woods side, but if we are already there we are good to go, natural shade. I'm bringing the extra until we know for sure.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 29th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Just to spice this up a bit with visual aids, this is a photo from last year when the all of the Brunchgaters were out in full force, including EarlJam and Lavabe/ILJ (and daughter).
Attachments
027.jpg
Brunchgaters -- 2008
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 29th, 2009, 4:27 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just to spice this up a bit with visual aids, this is a photo from last year when the all of the Brunchgaters were out in full force, including EarlJam and Lavabe/ILJ (and daughter).
I think I was out hawking the GTHC stickers when that picture was taken...

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 29th, 2009, 4:29 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just to spice this up a bit with visual aids, this is a photo from last year when the all of the Brunchgaters were out in full force, including EarlJam and Lavabe/ILJ (and daughter).
That's OK...We have this one for you....
ozziedevil.jpg
OzzieDevil
ozziedevil.jpg (120.41 KiB) Viewed 344 times
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
That's OK...We have this one for you....
ozziedevil.jpg
Thanks!

knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » August 29th, 2009, 5:26 pm

devildeac wrote:
I vote ribs.

(and chicken... :oops: :roll: )

Might the beer be Salvator? It doesn't quite have the requisite bunchanumbers, err, letters, but it is a fine German brew and worthy of a 6er for Brunchgate.
I am certain it is not Salvador's only 'cuz the name of the beer in question was certainly German sounding, and if my lucid memory servesm it was a four syllable name, something like Schwetrzserwadert,,, ok, I'll just stick with the four syllables! :lol: . the 10=15% alcohol content may be another clue to mention as well! lol. I emailed my aunt for the name but she hasn't gotten back to me,
I am open to trying Salvador's however... one of the many things I like about brunchgate is that I get to expand my horizons!! lol :))
Last edited by knights68 on August 29th, 2009, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 29th, 2009, 5:28 pm

knights68 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I vote ribs.

Might the beer be Salvator? It doesn't quite have the requisite bunchanumbers, err, letters, but it is a fine German brew and worthy of a 6er for Brunchgate.
I am certain it is not Salvador's only 'cuz the name of the beer in question was certainly German sounding. the 10=15% alcohol content may be another clue to mention as well! lol.
I am open to trying Salvador's however... one of the many things I like about brunchgate is that I get to expand my horizons!! lol :))
I can only imagine that the beer, (or bier) you are looking for is Samichlaus.
edit-- I don't think I've had it, but it's reputation precedes it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 6:14 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Will anyone know where are tent is going to be? I'm assuming they won't actually have them set up at 9am, but it would be helpful for TNT to know at least the general area so we aren't moving hot grills around at noon.
The email to Ozzie said tents would be set up by noon. I'd bet they set them up in the Card Gym lot adjacent to the sidewalk where the Blue Devil walk takes place. Even if Tim arrives at 9 AM, I'd bet he sees folks setting the tents up at that time and can park accordingly.
The email said they (Duke) would be there setting up the tents at 9 a.m. (probably well before that - they are setting up 18 tents). The tent closes to Cameron is tent #1. I'm sure TNT will be able to ask someone where #8 will be if it is not up when he gets there. I expect the tents to be on the "woods" side of the sidewalk on not actually in the parking lot, but I could be wrong. I think the parking spot is supposed to have my name on it so it is close to the tent - Tim, you can go ahead and park in that spot when you get there, I'll find another one in the lot when I get there in the afternoon.
If that's the case, bring insect repellent and ant killer as we'll be on the dirt/grass/lawn and you know how fire ants can be in the south (or anywhere for that matter).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 6:16 pm

knights68 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I vote ribs.

I am certain it is not Salvador's only 'cuz the name of the beer in question was certainly German sounding, and if my lucid memory servesm it was a four syllable name, something like Schwetrzserwadert,,, ok, I'll just stick with the four syllables! :lol: . the 10=15% alcohol content may be another clue to mention as well! lol. I emailed my aunt for the name but she hasn't gotten back to me,
Salvator is one of the world's better bock beers, along with Celebrator (more expensive) and Optimator.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 29th, 2009, 6:18 pm

devildeac wrote:If that's the case, bring insect repellent and ant killer as we'll be on the dirt/grass/lawn and you know how fire ants can be in the south (or anywhere for that matter).
I remember last year, at the first Devil's Walk, we noticed we were about a foot from a disaster of an ant hill. We all moved to the lot side of the walk.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 6:20 pm

knights68 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I vote ribs.

I am certain it is not Salvador's only 'cuz the name of the beer in question was certainly German sounding. the 10=15% alcohol content may be another clue to mention as well! lol.
Total Wine sells it. ;) :D About $18 for a 4 pack :(( . 14% ABV. I'll bring one to a Brunchgate this fall to share or trade it for a PSM or some fancy arse Belgian ale.

BTW, Samichlaus is Austrian, but it sounds Deutsch. ;)
knights68

Post by knights68 » August 31st, 2009, 1:51 pm

Total Wine sells it. ;) :D About $18 for a 4 pack :(( . 14% ABV. I'll bring one to a Brunchgate this fall to share or trade it for a PSM or some fancy arse Belgian ale.[/quote]

:o Are ya kiddin me? There is no way that's the beer in question. My aunt and uncle couldn't/wouldn't dole out THAT much for a fine brew!
Jarhead
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Jarhead » August 31st, 2009, 2:57 pm

Sorry to be so late in getting with it. I had forgotten about Crazietalk.net. Devildeac got my attention this morning, so here I am. I will interrupt my preparation for a long arduous sea journey to the old world to attend BG 9.5 and the opening Duke football game. After the game, I will hurry home to Southern Pines, so I may depart on Labor Day with an anticipated return to North Carolina on October 2, 2009. What's still needed?
Jarhead **==
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 31st, 2009, 3:29 pm

Jarhead wrote: What's still needed?
Jarhead **==
plates, cups, utensils?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2009, 3:45 pm

Jarhead wrote:Sorry to be so late in getting with it. I had forgotten about Crazietalk.net. Devildeac got my attention this morning, so here I am. I will interrupt my preparation for a long arduous sea journey to the old world to attend BG 9.5 and the opening Duke football game. After the game, I will hurry home to Southern Pines, so I may depart on Labor Day with an anticipated return to North Carolina on October 2, 2009. What's still needed?
Jarhead **==
1. What CB&B posted or perhaps a large veggie tray with a ranch dip?
2. Several brown ales? (yea, I know, a broken record... :roll: :oops: )
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » August 31st, 2009, 4:06 pm

Jarhead wrote: What's still needed?
Jarhead **==
plates, cups, utensils?
I've got all of that stuff. What we need to know is whom is attending and what each is bringing. So far, here's what I've deduced:

TNT (+7)- Brisket, BBQ sauces, cole slaw, rolls & sandwich buns, cookies, brownies,
CB&B (+?)- shrimp, flounder on a magic wand :lol:
DD (+?)-
Knights68 & Tilly- Potato casserole, ribs and/or wings?
Ozzie (+?)- 1/4lb Hot dogs, brews
Shereec (+?)- Pound cake
Jarhead (+?)- Veggie tray?

Whom did I miss?
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 31st, 2009, 4:24 pm

Hey folks. I have a good friend who is planning a big tailgate for before the first game, so I'm going to have to spend much of the time with him and our circle of friends from school. BUT I will definitely make it over to the LTE brunchgate at some point to meet everyone. Not sure yet if little Katie will be in tow.
-- DukeUsul
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 31st, 2009, 4:26 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Hey folks. I have a good friend who is planning a big tailgate for before the first game, so I'm going to have to spend much of the time with him and our circle of friends from school. BUT I will definitely make it over to the LTE brunchgate at some point to meet everyone. Not sure yet if little Katie will be in tow.
So where is that tailgate taking place?