Inglourious Basterds

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Inglourious Basterds

Post by wilson » August 18th, 2009, 9:38 pm

I'm a pretty big Tarantino fan (Kill Bill is among my very favorites), but I'm not sure about this one...looks like a too-straightforward semi-spoof of 'The Dirty Dozen.' 83% fresh so far on Rotten Tomatoes though.
Any advance thoughts?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Inglourious Basterds

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2009, 9:42 pm

It's a DVD waiter for me. I do want to see it, and like you I'm a Tarantino fan, but it's just not drawing me with fervor to the theater.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » August 18th, 2009, 9:48 pm

I'll see it in theaters, and I don't go to too many movies in the theater. It's very loosely based on a 1978 Italian movie called Inglorious Bastards.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 18th, 2009, 9:54 pm

I'm excited, but agree this just doesn't have much of a theatre draw for me. With the exception of Death Proof, I'm not sure any of his movies were greatly enhanced by seeing them in the theatre. As a matter of fact, they were probably less enjoyable for me.

While not a remake, this film shares a similar title with one of Tarantino's favorite films, "The Inglorious Bastards" about a group of military prisoners who, after their convoy is attacked, make way for the Swiss border. En route, they're recruited to steal a V2 rocket. It's near the top of my Netflix queue and I'll wait for Tarantino's homage after I see the "original".
sMiles
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 18th, 2009, 11:10 pm

wilson wrote:I'm a pretty big Tarantino fan (Kill Bill is among my very favorites), but I'm not sure about this one...looks like a too-straightforward semi-spoof of 'The Dirty Dozen.' 83% fresh so far on Rotten Tomatoes though.
Any advance thoughts?
Doesn't the spelling in the title drive you nuts?
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 19th, 2009, 9:21 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
wilson wrote:I'm a pretty big Tarantino fan (Kill Bill is among my very favorites), but I'm not sure about this one...looks like a too-straightforward semi-spoof of 'The Dirty Dozen.' 83% fresh so far on Rotten Tomatoes though.
Any advance thoughts?
Of course. :-B
Miles

Post by Miles » August 19th, 2009, 9:38 am

wilson wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
Any advance thoughts?
Of course. :-B
I was perturbed at first. On second thought, I'm letting it go until after I see the movie in hopes that there's an explanation for the error.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 19th, 2009, 10:12 am

I just love the way Pitt says "Nazis". ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » August 28th, 2009, 9:06 am

SPOILER FREE:
Okay so there's no explanation for the misspelling of "basterds". Oh well, it has zero impact on the movie.

In a nutshell: fantastic.
Brad Pitt was wonderful. This guy impresses me. It took me a while to really appreciate him but I'd see just about anything this guy would do.
Christopher Waltz was equally impressive. He carries most of the dialogue in the movie and there wasn't a scene he was in where I felt let down.
This was a bit more gruesome than I had expected, but it wasn't gratuitous.

There are still some other movies I'd rather pay more money to see on the big screen, but this was still a great way to spend a few bucks and enjoy the evening with the guys. Don't need to rush to see it, but definitely get it on DVD when it's available.
sMiles
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » August 28th, 2009, 1:01 pm

I thought the movie was great, but I cant really compare it to anything because it's the first Tarentino film I've seen. The way the intensity is blended with humor is fantastic. And Brad Pitt was pretty damn good too. Very bloody but that wasn't a big deal to me.
weezie

Post by weezie » August 28th, 2009, 2:41 pm

The movie is STUPENDOUS. Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. GO, GO, GO see it!!!!!!
Outstanding directing, acting, costumes, editing and a great old-school type yarn...with some typical Tarantino bloodiness but par for the course.
Will definitely be nominated for all of the preceding.
Warning, do NOT get any huge drinks since you will miss plot points if you exit for a bathroom break.
PS, the spelling is a tribute to an old movie called "Glorious Bastards" of several years ago. Quentin T is one serious movie afficionado.

PS, I loved the British secret agent guy!!!!!!!!!!!! :-*
Miles

Post by Miles » August 28th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Ben63 wrote:I thought the movie was great, but I cant really compare it to anything because it's the first Tarentino film I've seen. The way the intensity is blended with humor is fantastic. And Brad Pitt was pretty damn good too. Very bloody but that wasn't a big deal to me.
Ben my friend, you have some homework to do!
Must sees: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (Vol 1 and 2 but I highly recommend watching them back-to-back), Death Proof (the 2nd half of Grindhouse) and True Romance, though he "only" wrote that movie.

Good ones: Four Rooms, From Dusk til Dawn, Jackie Brown

And if you're a fan of Kung Fu you should also see Hero; Tarantino brought that film to the US.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 29th, 2009, 8:16 am

Miles wrote:
Ben63 wrote:I thought the movie was great, but I cant really compare it to anything because it's the first Tarentino film I've seen. The way the intensity is blended with humor is fantastic. And Brad Pitt was pretty damn good too. Very bloody but that wasn't a big deal to me.
Ben my friend, you have some homework to do!
Must sees: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (Vol 1 and 2 but I highly recommend watching them back-to-back), Death Proof (the 2nd half of Grindhouse) and True Romance, though he "only" wrote that movie.

Good ones: Four Rooms, From Dusk til Dawn, Jackie Brown

And if you're a fan of Kung Fu you should also see Hero; Tarantino brought that film to the US.
If you haven't seen any Tarantino, have you at least seen the Usual Suspects? I know it's not Tarantino, but it's also excellent, and if you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, you probably haven't seen it either.

Also, IMDB is sometimes wrong, I know, but it only has him as a producer in the From Dusk Til Dawn series.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 11:15 am

I'll wait for it to come to DVD also. But what format? Blu-ray? aaaaaggggghhhhh, I still have two HD DVD players. Well, one I got after the format died and people were selling Xbox linked players for cheap. FWIW, I broke down and got a Blu-ray player DVD drive for my most recent computer build.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » August 29th, 2009, 11:27 am

bjornolf wrote:
If you haven't seen any Tarantino, have you at least seen the Usual Suspects? I know it's not Tarantino, but it's also excellent, and if you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, you probably haven't seen it either.

Also, IMDB is sometimes wrong, I know, but it only has him as a producer in the From Dusk Til Dawn series.

%%-

No haven't seen that either. I'm seriously movie retarded. I just saw Shawshank Redemption for the first time last night.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 11:28 am

Ben63 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

%%-

No haven't seen that either. I'm seriously movie retarded. I just saw Shawshank Redemption for the first time last night.
I thought Shawshank was pretty good but never understood why it got such high ratings at IMDB.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 29th, 2009, 9:41 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Ben63 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

%%-

I thought Shawshank was pretty good but never understood why it got such high ratings at IMDB.
SPOILER BELOW:

For me, Shawshank gets two thumbs up because it was the first movie I saw where I was truly surprised and impressed with the ending. All too often I'd get emotionally involved with a movie and know, JUST KNOW, that something bad was going to happen in the end to piss me off. Shawshank had all the makings of such a movie. I was glad they didn't take the predictable Hollywood tact.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 30th, 2009, 7:38 am

Miles wrote: SPOILER BELOW:

For me, Shawshank gets two thumbs up because it was the first movie I saw where I was truly surprised and impressed with the ending. All too often I'd get emotionally involved with a movie and know, JUST KNOW, that something bad was going to happen in the end to piss me off. Shawshank had all the makings of such a movie. I was glad they didn't take the predictable Hollywood tact.
Have you seen "Usual Suspects"? The ending of that BLEW MY MIND. :-o

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 30th, 2009, 7:41 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I'll wait for it to come to DVD also. But what format? Blu-ray? aaaaaggggghhhhh, I still have two HD DVD players. Well, one I got after the format died and people were selling Xbox linked players for cheap. FWIW, I broke down and got a Blu-ray player DVD drive for my most recent computer build.
Sony's putting out a new, slim PS3 that uses 34% less power, is much lighter and slimmer, I think on September 1st. It's gonna be $299. It'll have all the Blu-Ray capabilities. Plus, you get all the automatic updates from Sony, so you'll always have the latest BR features when watching movies. On top of that, you get an awesome gaming system. ;) And it's not much more expensive than a decent Blu-Ray player, and you're getting one of the better Bly-Ray players out of the deal.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » August 30th, 2009, 11:48 am

bjornolf wrote: Have you seen "Usual Suspects"? The ending of that BLEW MY MIND. :-o

%%-
I. Love. That. Movie.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.