Ode to Server

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Ode to Server

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 12:42 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote: You can bake?? yummyy

Yep, I'm making muffins in a little while and am trying to decide what to bake for dessert tonight. I'm thinking of home made rice pudding (not exactly baking I know) but might resort to a cake of some kind because I've got a craving for curry and think I'll make that (from scratch) for dinner. If we decide to BBQ I'll definitely make the rice pudding.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 19th, 2009, 1:02 pm

colchar wrote:

Yep, I'm making muffins in a little while and am trying to decide what to bake for dessert tonight. I'm thinking of home made rice pudding (not exactly baking I know) but might resort to a cake of some kind because I've got a craving for curry and think I'll make that (from scratch) for dinner. If we decide to BBQ I'll definitely make the rice pudding.
Damn.. Can I come over? Lol
Teach your children ABC's-Anyone But Carolina
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 1:23 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
colchar wrote:

Damn.. Can I come over? Lol

But of course. I'll pick you up at the airport ;)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 2:12 pm

colchar wrote:

What does this have to do with Ode to Server? :roll:

Gratuitous thread hijack with solicitation of Windsor'sDaughter as ultimate ulterior motive :roll: .

5 yard penalty and loss of posting privileges, err, down. :))

Back to your regularly scheduled thread ;).
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 2:19 pm

devildeac wrote:
What does this have to do with Ode to Server? :roll:

The thread started with a discussion of servers and progressed to cooking. I would say the two are related however tangentially.

Gratuitous thread hijack with solicitation of Windsor'sDaughter as ultimate ulterior motive :roll: .
I'm not soliciting - I've already won her over!

5 yard penalty and loss of posting privileges, err, down. :))

Back to your regularly scheduled thread ;).
If you have a complaint, report me to a mod ;)
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 19th, 2009, 3:42 pm

I feel ya, colchar. I do a lot of cooking and baking too. As the dad of three kids who does 90% of the food preparation in the house, I often feel like a short order cook.

WD, don't feel too bad about the customers. My wife worked her way through college waitressing. She worked at both a cracker barrel and a truck stop. As she's explained to me, you don't KNOW crappy tipping 'til you've worked a truck stop. ;)

As for me, bad service gets anywhere from 1-5% depending on how bad it is, decent service gets 15% rounded up to the nearest dollar (so if 15% would make the total 14.55, I'll tip the extra $.45 to get it to $15), and excellent service gets 20% rounded up to the nearest dollar. The MOST I've ever tipped was 400%. I was at a diner late at night traveling long distance, and I ordered a cup of coffee and a slice of pie just to get some caffeine and use the bathroom and stretch my legs. The waitress was really sweet, and she was really upset when some punk stiffed her (didn't even pay the check). I was tired and didn't feel like chasing the guy down at the time, but she was out like $6 that she was going to have to pay herself. My bill was $2. I paid with a $10 and let her keep the change.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 19th, 2009, 3:51 pm

colchar wrote: But of course. I'll pick you up at the airport ;)
Yippe!I will bring some wine haha ;;)
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 5:25 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:

I'm not a fan of wine so you'll be getting nice and drunk on it all by yourself. But I will drink plenty of rye.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 19th, 2009, 7:00 pm

colchar wrote:
WindsorsDaughter wrote:

I'm not a fan of wine so you'll be getting nice and drunk on it all by yourself. But I will drink plenty of rye.
I don't like wine either.. What is Rye?? I like vodka..lol well mixed drinks too
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 19th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Ok back on topic here... Krysta, what's your opinion on tipping at a place like Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation (assuming you know what they are, as they're not everywhere)? If you're not familiar, let me know and I'll explain.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 19th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Sue71 wrote:Ok back on topic here... Krysta, what's your opinion on tipping at a place like Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation (assuming you know what they are, as they're not everywhere)? If you're not familiar, let me know and I'll explain.
I know what Sweet Tomatoes is and I google'd Soup Plantation. Buffet's I usually tip 1/2 dollars depending on the price. Because the server is still filling the drinks (hopefully). We have a place here which is a Chinese buffet my mom and I go to and its about 8 dollars a person including a beverage aside from water, they usually get 2-4 dollars depending on the price, cause I don't know its different than actually serving. I feel bad saying that. Lol $-)
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 19th, 2009, 11:30 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Ok back on topic here... Krysta, what's your opinion on tipping at a place like Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation (assuming you know what they are, as they're not everywhere)? If you're not familiar, let me know and I'll explain.
I know what Sweet Tomatoes is and I google'd Soup Plantation. Buffet's I usually tip 1/2 dollars depending on the price. Because the server is still filling the drinks (hopefully). We have a place here which is a Chinese buffet my mom and I go to and its about 8 dollars a person including a beverage aside from water, they usually get 2-4 dollars depending on the price, cause I don't know its different than actually serving. I feel bad saying that. Lol $-)
I'm with you... (btw Souplantation is the California name for Sweet Tomatoes, go figure). I usually tip $1 because they're generally not refilling my drinks (or anyone's for that matter). I have some friends who don't leave anything, and I think that's wrong because they are clearing plates, etc, but since they're not taking my order or bringing me anything, I don't really tip much more.
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 20th, 2009, 12:00 am

Thats good. I mean not leaving 0 but leaving something. They turn tables really quick at places like that.. they also are able to have more tables to you figure ten tables average out maybe 8 tables an hour 2-4 bucks a table your making decent money.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 20th, 2009, 12:06 am

They have Sweet Tomatoes in San Jose.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 20th, 2009, 12:14 am

WindsorsDaughter wrote:Thats good. I mean not leaving 0 but leaving something. They turn tables really quick at places like that.. they also are able to have more tables to you figure ten tables average out maybe 8 tables an hour 2-4 bucks a table your making decent money.
And I should note that if they do happen to go above/beyond (=refill my drink in such an establishment), I will tip more.

And btw, I usually go around 20% in a standard restaurant. More if it's good service. And if I'm eating at the bar, and the bartender is taking care of me, it might be 30% + .
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 20th, 2009, 12:23 am

Very rarely below 15%, only if the service is really terrible. Usually between 15 and 20. 20% if she's cute, even if the service is bad. :twisted:
-- DukeUsul
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » April 20th, 2009, 12:44 am

Sales tax out here is 9.2%, so I usually double & round up for most service. If service was just okay, I'll round down a bit.

WD, my hubby was a waiter & bartender for years, so he insists paying on good tips, but he is actually more particular about what constitutes what good service. Do you find yourself being a little more critical/aware of service provided to you, since you know what you think should be done?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 20th, 2009, 12:59 am

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
I don't like wine either.. What is Rye?? I like vodka..lol well mixed drinks too

Rye is Canadian Whiskey (think Crown Royal).
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 20th, 2009, 4:46 am

I usually figure tips at $1 for every $6 of the bill, not counting sales tax, so that is roughly 18% at a regular full service restaurant. I don't tip on sales tax - that doesn't make sense.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 20th, 2009, 6:12 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I usually figure tips at $1 for every $6 of the bill, not counting sales tax, so that is roughly 18% at a regular full service restaurant. I don't tip on sales tax - that doesn't make sense.
Sorry to be a little more precise but 1 in 6 = 16.66% haha, sorry...

I usually divide by 10 and multiply by 2.5(Excellent service), 2.0(Good service), 1.5(Expected service),1.0(Lousy service). I have rarely(its been years)given a 1.0.