Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 6:02 pm

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:
captmojo wrote:I'll do one, I have been holding back. Sue knows, though I don't know if she tried it. Those that do, I promise, will not be disappointed.
I've had enough to drink right now, that I'm overlooking a promise. I told the guy I got it from that I wouldn't tell. He's dead, and now the restaurant he had is being sold.
Holy crap. This is what I'm making myself for my birthday on Saturday.
Shouldn't that be O:-) 3:-O ?

;)

%%-
Well, I ended up having a larger-than-expected crowd for dinner last Saturday, so we had fajitas instead of steaks (somehow, I ended up cooking for everyone). Soon, though.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I'm fixing Beef Stroganoff tonight!!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 7:04 pm

cl15876 wrote:I'm fixing Beef Stroganoff tonight!!!!
It turned out wonderful!!!! I am not sure I can wait for the veggies or the biscuits (with my special touch)! Maybe all that will come on 2nds! :D
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 18th, 2009, 9:35 am

What was wrong with it???

Ha ha ha ha ha :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) I kill me
-- DukeUsul
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 18th, 2009, 9:38 am

DukeUsul wrote:
What was wrong with it???

Ha ha ha ha ha :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) I kill me
:D :D =)) =)) =)) =)) :D :D I like it!!!! :-bd :-bd
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 27th, 2009, 11:55 am

So now that I have a grandson away at school I want to start canning some healthful things to send him to nuke and eat....soups, stews, chili, veggies, etc. I've never pressure canned anything before. Any advice on what kind of canner to get and the best place to get it? I think I want to can about six quarts at a time. We've always frozen stuff at home so I'm a novice at this except for jams and jellies.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 27th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So now that I have a grandson away at school I want to start canning some healthful things to send him to nuke and eat....soups, stews, chili, veggies, etc. I've never pressure canned anything before. Any advice on what kind of canner to get and the best place to get it? I think I want to can about six quarts at a time. We've always frozen stuff at home so I'm a novice at this except for jams and jellies.

Love, Ima
The Durham County Extension Center is a great source of information on how to can (there are two methods as I recall) and what sort of canner to use. http://durham.ces.ncsu.edu/. Cooks Illustrated is my choice for recommendations for all things related to cooking and eating. Would you like for me to PM you their recommendations for equipment?
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 27th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Well, duh! I subscribe to the Cooks Illustrated site and didn't even think to go there. You guys are always such a ready source of info that I naturally think of CTN before anything else. Thanks, girlfriend!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So now that I have a grandson away at school I want to start canning some healthful things to send him to nuke and eat....soups, stews, chili, veggies, etc. I've never pressure canned anything before. Any advice on what kind of canner to get and the best place to get it? I think I want to can about six quarts at a time. We've always frozen stuff at home so I'm a novice at this except for jams and jellies.

Love, Ima
This site is in my favorites.

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/pressur ... /index.php

I have a presto canner, I don't know what size, but it's pretty big. I suggest you get one with a dialed guage, mine uses weights. It works great, but I'd rather have the guage. I bought it can my veggies, but as soon as I figured out I could can meat with it I was in heaven. I still have cans of barbecue that I made a year and a half ago, and it's very tasty. (And it hasn't killed me yet).
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 27th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Well, duh! I subscribe to the Cooks Illustrated site and didn't even think to go there. You guys are always such a ready source of info that I naturally think of CTN before anything else. Thanks, girlfriend!
Love, Ima
Haven't done any canning for years, but I do remember that the pressure cooker you'd use to can is going to be much bigger than one you'd use to prepare a dish for a meal. I looked at the Cooks Illustrated equipment evaluations. They really don't discuss canning on the site. I still think checking with the Durham Extension Center is going to get you usable information on how to do it safely and what you need. This sort of assistance is part of their "bread and butter" in terms of helping people for free over the years. You can thank NC State for this free network of resources.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 27th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Love, Ima
Here's a link with instructions: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/foodsci/e ... nning.html
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 11:25 am

I haven't really cooked anything in a while. I'm cooking to have to experiment with vegetables more soon.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 31st, 2009, 10:26 pm

I had the BEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT EGGGG PLANT Meal that I have EVER HAD!!!! Thank YOU!!!!!!! @};-
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 31st, 2009, 10:36 pm

cl15876 wrote:I had the BEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT EGGGG PLANT Meal that I have EVER HAD!!!! Thank YOU!!!!!!! @};-
This is my hint to post the recipe?

I sliced some eggplant and dredged the slices in Italian salad dressing.
I grilled the eggplant slices until they were done.
I placed the eggplant slices in a casserole dish, covered them with a zesty marinara sauce, layered more eggplant slices, more marinara sauce, etc.,
I topped the eggplant and marinara with mozzarella cheese slices.
I baked the casserole at 350 degrees until the mozzarella slices turned bubbly and brown.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 31st, 2009, 10:39 pm

CathyCA wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I had the BEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT EGGGG PLANT Meal that I have EVER HAD!!!! Thank YOU!!!!!!! @};-
This is my hint to post the recipe?

I sliced some eggplant and dredged the slices in Italian salad dressing.
I grilled the eggplant slices until they were done.
I placed the eggplant slices in a casserole dish, covered them with a zesty marinara sauce, layered more eggplant slices, more marinara sauce, etc.,
I topped the eggplant and marinara with mozzarella cheese slices.
I baked the casserole at 350 degrees until the mozzarella slices turned bubbly and brown.
YUMMMM-EEEEEE!!!! I have to tell all Y'ALL!!!!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2009, 11:20 pm

Eggplant Parmesan?

or is that, Eggplant Parmigiana?

One of my favorite all-time dishes.

And I don't even want a beer with that one... :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2009, 11:24 pm

devildeac wrote:
Eggplant Parmesan?

or is that, Eggplant Parmigiana?

One of my favorite all-time dishes.

And I don't even want a beer with that one... :roll:
Yeah, I'll buy that. I love italianized eggplants, and only me. Everyone else in my house is too picky, but my mom made it great and got me hooked. Thanks mom!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Best beer for chili?

Post by knights68 » September 4th, 2009, 6:08 pm

I have been entered (drafted) into a chili cook-off next week. I have a great recipe, only I am not sure what is the best beer to use for this dish.
So tell me my wise friends out there,,, What is THE best beer to user in Chili??
knights68

Re: Best beer for chili?

Post by knights68 » September 4th, 2009, 6:25 pm

knights68 wrote:I have been entered (drafted) into a chili cook-off next week. I have a great recipe, only I am not sure what is the best beer to use for this dish.
So tell me my wise friends out there,,, What is THE best beer to user in Chili??
PS, thats beer IN the chili, not with the chili (it is, afterall, chili for work)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Best beer for chili?

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 4th, 2009, 6:51 pm

knights68 wrote:
knights68 wrote:I have been entered (drafted) into a chili cook-off next week. I have a great recipe, only I am not sure what is the best beer to use for this dish.
PS, thats beer IN the chili, not with the chili (it is, afterall, chili for work)
Bud Light. Gotta do something with it. =)) =)) =)) =))