Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » August 26th, 2009, 8:17 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:2 new saisons for me...
Victory Helios--I think this is a repackaged version of V-Saison (which I never tried). One of the cheapest big beers out there at $3.50 for a bomber. Pours a hazy straw. Lot of spice with both tart and sweet citrusy notes. There is some yeast (and a decent amount of sediment) but it is fairly understated. This comes off a bit fruitier than similar beers like Hennepin but very enjoyable. Easy drinking and very crisp for a warm summer night..

Harpoon Leviathon Saison Royale--This is about as different from the Helios as two beers in the same general class could be. Also pours a hazy straw. There is some subtle spice and funk tastes but this beer is dominated by a sweetness that is hard to describe. It's not particularly malty but instead reminds me more of a light and mead-ish honey sweetness. Could be partly due to the booze given the 9%. I enjoyed this one as well for very different reasons. It was also very easy drinking though obviously not as crisp as the Helios..

Both are worth checking out..
We get some good beers down here but they just don't ship/distribute the variety I see you find on a regular basis. :( :((
That's funny because although the selection is good around here, I'm always jealous of those west coast and midwest brewers (like New Belgium) which make it down to you but not up to NE..not to mention Duck Rabbit and Foothills and CB&B creations..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2009, 8:43 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:2 new saisons for me...
Victory Helios--I think this is a repackaged version of V-Saison (which I never tried). One of the cheapest big beers out there at $3.50 for a bomber. Pours a hazy straw. Lot of spice with both tart and sweet citrusy notes. There is some yeast (and a decent amount of sediment) but it is fairly understated. This comes off a bit fruitier than similar beers like Hennepin but very enjoyable. Easy drinking and very crisp for a warm summer night..

Harpoon Leviathon Saison Royale--This is about as different from the Helios as two beers in the same general class could be. Also pours a hazy straw. There is some subtle spice and funk tastes but this beer is dominated by a sweetness that is hard to describe. It's not particularly malty but instead reminds me more of a light and mead-ish honey sweetness. Could be partly due to the booze given the 9%. I enjoyed this one as well for very different reasons. It was also very easy drinking though obviously not as crisp as the Helios..

Both are worth checking out..
We get some good beers down here but they just don't ship/distribute the variety I see you find on a regular basis. :( :((
That's funny because although the selection is good around here, I'm always jealous of those west coast and midwest brewers (like New Belgium) which make it down to you but not up to NE..not to mention Duck Rabbit and Foothills and CB&B creations..
Even more interesting is that the Green Flash beers never make it here except the West Coast IPA. No Russian River brews either. New Belgium kept all their stuff in Colorado (or at least west of St. Louis) until this spring when their session beers like Mothership Wit, 1554, Skinny Dip and Fat Tire appeared. I'll know they are really serious if we see Frambozen, Abbey/Dubbel, Triple and 2 Below this fall/winter. I doubt I'll ever see La Folie or any other specialties unless I visit rmd. Hmmm, now there's an ideer... :D

I have never had a Foothills brew. You are correct about Duck-Rabbit and CB&B. However, you are welcome for a visit anytime. Let's see, 6 home games/Brunchgates this fall... C'mon down!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2009, 8:44 pm

colchar wrote:This thread is enough to drive someone to drink ;)
Sounds/looks like it has.

Regularly. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2009, 8:51 pm

bluebear wrote: That's funny because although the selection is good around here, I'm always jealous of those west coast and midwest brewers (like New Belgium) which make it down to you but not up to NE..not to mention Duck Rabbit and Foothills and CB&B creations..
I hope you get to try one of mine soon. Speaking of DR, I almost grabbed a milk stout of theirs at TW, but I went with the Left Hand instead. I love both, but the Rabbit is a little easier to find for me so I went with the rarer.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 26th, 2009, 9:02 pm

devildeac wrote: Even more interesting is that the Green Flash beers never make it here except the West Coast IPA. No Russian River brews either. New Belgium kept all their stuff in Colorado (or at least west of St. Louis) until this spring when their session beers like Mothership Wit, 1554, Skinny Dip and Fat Tire appeared. I'll know they are really serious if we see Frambozen, Abbey/Dubbel, Triple and 2 Below this fall/winter. I doubt I'll ever see La Folie or any other specialties unless I visit rmd. Hmmm, now there's an ideer... :D

I have never had a Foothills brew. You are correct about Duck-Rabbit and CB&B. However, you are welcome for a visit anytime. Let's see, 6 home games/Brunchgates this fall... C'mon down!
There are a few brewers that distribute in a similar way around here..one or two of their beers but not the specialty ones...RMD is the lucky one with all those great colorado breweries right there..
Thanks for the brunchgate invite..need to convince the wife to take a fall roadtrip...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 26th, 2009, 9:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote: That's funny because although the selection is good around here, I'm always jealous of those west coast and midwest brewers (like New Belgium) which make it down to you but not up to NE..not to mention Duck Rabbit and Foothills and CB&B creations..
I hope you get to try one of mine soon. Speaking of DR, I almost grabbed a milk stout of theirs at TW, but I went with the Left Hand instead. I love both, but the Rabbit is a little easier to find for me so I went with the rarer.
Have you tried anything by left hand? I've seen them pop up a little around here and I've been eyeing their barrel aged stout but I've yet to pull the trigger..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2009, 9:08 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote: Even more interesting is that the Green Flash beers never make it here except the West Coast IPA. No Russian River brews either. New Belgium kept all their stuff in Colorado (or at least west of St. Louis) until this spring when their session beers like Mothership Wit, 1554, Skinny Dip and Fat Tire appeared. I'll know they are really serious if we see Frambozen, Abbey/Dubbel, Triple and 2 Below this fall/winter. I doubt I'll ever see La Folie or any other specialties unless I visit rmd. Hmmm, now there's an ideer... :D

There are a few brewers that distribute in a similar way around here..one or two of their beers but not the specialty ones...RMD is the lucky one with all those great colorado breweries right there..
Thanks for the brunchgate invite..need to convince the wife to take a fall roadtrip...
I would love to do a Duck Rabbit tour one day. I went to a DR tasting, they had one of the brewmasters to present. It was great, got to try a lot too! We did ask him about distribution, and due to size that is the big limit. You can only ship so much. But then again, it makes for wonderful finds when you travel.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2009, 9:09 pm

bluebear wrote:
Have you tried anything by left hand? I've seen them pop up a little around here and I've been eyeing their barrel aged stout but I've yet to pull the trigger..
Only the milk stout. I would imagine the barrel aged is impressive, I've never heard bad things, and my lone experience (milk stout) I have had a few times and always loved.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 26th, 2009, 9:18 pm

bluebear wrote:

I would love to do a Duck Rabbit tour one day. I went to a DR tasting, they had one of the brewmasters to present. It was great, got to try a lot too! We did ask him about distribution, and due to size that is the big limit. You can only ship so much. But then again, it makes for wonderful finds when you travel.
I tried a few DR beers at a brewfest up here and thought they were incredible...so much so that I bought a pint glass and snifter which are my official drinking glasses :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

St. Louis beer sightings

Post by ArkieDukie » August 26th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Passing on a couple of observations after visiting my local grocery store (Straub's):

1. They still have Wheach.
2. The Schlafly's Oktoberfest beer is in stock now.
3. O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale is in stock now.

Discuss.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 26th, 2009, 10:54 pm

bluebear wrote: There are a few brewers that distribute in a similar way around here..one or two of their beers but not the specialty ones...RMD is the lucky one with all those great colorado breweries right there..
It is nice having so many around us, especially since a trip to, Great Divide, for example, means walking three blocks from office. But, the downside is that the local market is so strong that it often times pushes out beers from other markets because they don't sell as well. There are also several wonderful breweries that don't distribute here. I can't get Great Lakes, Duck Rabbit, Schlafly's, or Bells. I have to stock up when I'm in Ohio!

As for Left Hand, their beers are above average. I especially like their Warrior IPA. But, be warned, the Snow Bound Winter Ale must be avoided at all costs (way over spiced).
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Turk

Post by Turk » August 27th, 2009, 2:08 am

Tonight was Harp draft plus a couple Iron City pounders for a nightcap. Eminently forgettable, especially if you drink enough of them.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 28th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Strange night for me at the store. Picked up a sixer of the brand new Great Divide Hoss Rye Lager and a bomber of Avery's 2009 Oktoberfest. That's two lagers, which is two more than I ever buy. Will report sometime.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 28th, 2009, 9:18 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Strange night for me at the store. Picked up a sixer of the brand new Great Divide Hoss Rye Lager and a bomber of Avery's 2009 Oktoberfest. That's two lagers, which is two more than I ever buy. Will report sometime.
It's good now and then to pick up a well brewed lager. You can tease Ozzie with more feeling and honesty afterwards.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 28th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I found something cool about my local Harris Teeter. They have the better beer selection of the stores around, but it's still not enough to get excited over, luckily I have so other options a little further down the road. But when I was there a week ago, after really not being turned on by what they had in the display cooler, I went into the walkin cooler. This is the same as the display cooler, but it has shelves on the opposite wall. There were a couple 6 packs and 3 4 packs of brews they did not have in the front, and had no price. I was thinking someone who worked there picked up some good beer elsewhere and put in the cooler to hold until later. (Maybe they have a tiny fridge, I couldn't think of anything better).
I went in there again yesterday, and there was some of the same beer and a couple 6's of another kind that wasn't there before. This time I said "fuggit, if it's someone else's I figuring out a way to buy it anyhow".
Boring story short, they were selling these 6 packs, but just didn't make a big deal of it. Weird. Anyways, Left Hand's Juju Ginger Ale is awesome. It was one of the four packs. I've only seen Left Hand at TW, so this was a nice find. Review to follow later, but the moral of the story is check the cooler.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I found something cool about my local Harris Teeter. They have the better beer selection of the stores around, but it's still not enough to get excited over, luckily I have so other options a little further down the road. But when I was there a week ago, after really not being turned on by what they had in the display cooler, I went into the walkin cooler. This is the same as the display cooler, but it has shelves on the opposite wall. There were a couple 6 packs and 3 4 packs of brews they did not have in the front, and had no price. I was thinking someone who worked there picked up some good beer elsewhere and put in the cooler to hold until later. (Maybe they have a tiny fridge, I couldn't think of anything better).
I went in there again yesterday, and there was some of the same beer and a couple 6's of another kind that wasn't there before. This time I said "fuggit, if it's someone else's I figuring out a way to buy it anyhow".
Boring story short, they were selling these 6 packs, but just didn't make a big deal of it. Weird. Anyways, Left Hand's Juju Ginger Ale is awesome. It was one of the four packs. I've only seen Left Hand at TW, so this was a nice find. Review to follow later, but the moral of the story is check the cooler.
Sounds like you hit the jackpot. I've never had the Ginger Beer from LH, although I always mean to try it.

You're also right about a good lager. There are few beers as refreshing. Oskar Blue's Mama's Lil Yella Pils got me try to lagers again, and, after a few sips, the GD Hoss is pretty good. It's definitely a more full-bodied lager than I've ever had. Nice autumn fruit flavors (cherries and apples dominate) with a bit of dirty earth, which I assume comes from the rye. It smells like earthy apple cider, and I say that as a compliment. Would be a very nice beer with grilled meats or even a ham and bean soup (which is what my Mom always made during the fall for Ohio State football games). Ideal tailgating (or, should I say, brunchgating :D ) beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 9:54 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Strange night for me at the store. Picked up a sixer of the brand new Great Divide Hoss Rye Lager and a bomber of Avery's 2009 Oktoberfest. That's two lagers, which is two more than I ever buy. Will report sometime.
:)) :)) =)) =))

Was it the regular Oktoberfest? I thought Avery brewed an Imperial Oktoberfest a year or two ago. Or do I have the wrong brewery? Do you make exceptions for Imperial offerings? ;) :roll:
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 28th, 2009, 9:56 pm

devildeac wrote:

Was it the regular Oktoberfest? I thought Avery brewed an Imperial Oktoberfest a year or two ago. Or do I have the wrong brewery? Do you make exceptions for Imperial offerings? ;) :roll:
I thought that went without saying...

It's the Kaiser, which is part of their dictator series (along with the Czar and the Maharaja).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 9:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I found something cool about my local Harris Teeter. They have the better beer selection of the stores around, but it's still not enough to get excited over, luckily I have so other options a little further down the road. But when I was there a week ago, after really not being turned on by what they had in the display cooler, I went into the walkin cooler. This is the same as the display cooler, but it has shelves on the opposite wall. There were a couple 6 packs and 3 4 packs of brews they did not have in the front, and had no price. I was thinking someone who worked there picked up some good beer elsewhere and put in the cooler to hold until later. (Maybe they have a tiny fridge, I couldn't think of anything better).
Good tip. I'd echo your thoughts about HT. Not bad for grocery store beer. I may start buying my wife's wine there as they have a nice selection of West Coast wines, some vintages and they always have a few specials and case discounts.

Will we see some next Saturday? :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 10:00 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I thought that went without saying...

It's the Kaiser, which is part of their dictator series (along with the Czar and the Maharaja).
I thought my memory was not faulty. Yet. :roll: I didn't want to assume 'cuz you know what that means...