Moral Support Needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Moral Support Needed

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2009, 10:07 am

windsor wrote:Feeling a little better every day.
Excellent to hear!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 26th, 2009, 10:07 am

windsor wrote:Feeling a little better every day - was back at the dr for a follow up (review blood work et al) - my chest x-rays are clean, my lungs sound better already. Woo Hoo. Oh, and my cholesterol is still obscenely low. :ymparty: :ymparty:

As long as I stay on the no smoking bus I appear to have dodge a bullet and NOT done any potentially fatal damage.

Some bone loss (no shock there - 50, small boned, lactose intolerant smoker) drug for that - stay on chantix - stay off cigarettes - live to be a 100. :D
Good news! Keep doing what you're doing......
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 26th, 2009, 10:10 am

windsor wrote:Feeling a little better every day - was back at the dr for a follow up (review blood work et al) - my chest x-rays are clean, my lungs sound better already. Woo Hoo. Oh, and my cholesterol is still obscenely low. :ymparty: :ymparty:

As long as I stay on the no smoking bus I appear to have dodge a bullet and NOT done any potentially fatal damage.

Some bone loss (no shock there - 50, small boned, lactose intolerant smoker) drug for that - stay on chantix - stay off cigarettes - live to be a 100. :D
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 26th, 2009, 10:15 am

Yay!! Woo hoo!!! Yippee!! Way to go!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
I worship the Blue Devil!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 26th, 2009, 3:09 pm

That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, we LIKE it!!!!!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 26th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, we LIKE it!!!!!
Love, Ima
OMG. POTW!!!!
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Sue71 wrote:
Love, Ima
OMG. POTW!!!!
You can't be serious... :oops: :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 26th, 2009, 8:09 pm

devildeac wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
Love, Ima
OMG. POTW!!!!
You can't be serious... :oops: :roll:

Made me laugh, and it's been a while, so why not?
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » August 27th, 2009, 12:56 am

I laughed too. Ima (bless her heart) doesn't quite strike me as the 'disco queen' type...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 27th, 2009, 8:17 am

Ima - Disco Queen =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

In other news...came home from work yesterday and it was POURING...decided to fetch the mail - so I ran (as fast as my chubby middle aged arse would go) to the mail box and back into the garage. Was all the way into the kitchen when it hit me...I wasn't breating hard...at all...not even a little. :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd (I know for most of you that doesn't seem like much but that is HUGE to this ex-smoker)

Since my ability to breath had gradual decayed over the years I didn't really notice how bad it was but as it gets better it is pretty obvious how bad I was. When you do soemthing without thinking that you wouldn't have done while smoking...they were teasing me in agility class becasue I ran to re-set up a bar...apparently I never ran unless I had to...When a co worker says 'you stopped coughing, what did you do?' ....it is things like this and the vibes from my CTN buddies that keep the smokes at bay.

Now if it would stop raining so I could start walking! Step daughter gets married 11/7 - must not be a fat cow in the weddings pictures 3:-O .
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2009, 8:19 am

windsor wrote:Ima - Disco Queen =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

In other news...came home from work yesterday and it was POURING...decided to fetch the mail - so I ran (as fast as my chubby middle aged arse would go) to the mail box and back into the garage. Was all the way into the kitchen when it hit me...I wasn't breating hard...at all...not even a little. :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd (I know for most of you that doesn't seem like much but that is HUGE to this ex-smoker)
It's cool when you discover new abilities like that. One of my favorites was my sense of smell got much better.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 27th, 2009, 8:22 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

It's cool when you discover new abilities like that. One of my favorites was my sense of smell got much better.

Mine too - probably shouldn't have told Mr. Windsor (who is still smoking - outside AND not leaving his cigs or butts in sight) that he stinks. =)) =))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 27th, 2009, 8:30 am

windsor wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Mine too - probably shouldn't have told Mr. Windsor (who is still smoking - outside AND not leaving his cigs or butts in sight) that he stinks. =)) =))
I am even more impressed with your accomplishment! To quit smoking, though your husband continues to, is certainly more difficult than doing it with non-smokers in the house.

Yay Windsor!!!!
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 27th, 2009, 8:42 am

It has actually been a little easier to quit with him smoking than it was the times we tried to quit together. I am not wondering if he is 'cheating' (meaning of course I can 'cheat' too). He agreed to relegate himself to the great outdoors and not leave his cigarettes or butts in sight (I'm sure I could locate them if I looked - but I don't have to walk past and see them sitting there)

The only issue we've had is driving (like I did he smokes a lot when drives). We've taken two cars a couple of times to get around this.
Waste of gas - yeah - but I can buy 2 gallons of gas for the price of one pack of cigarettes so I'm still way ahead :D
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 27th, 2009, 9:48 am

windsor wrote:It has actually been a little easier to quit with him smoking than it was the times we tried to quit together. I am not wondering if he is 'cheating' (meaning of course I can 'cheat' too). He agreed to relegate himself to the great outdoors and not leave his cigarettes or butts in sight (I'm sure I could locate them if I looked - but I don't have to walk past and see them sitting there)

The only issue we've had is driving (like I did he smokes a lot when drives). We've taken two cars a couple of times to get around this.
Waste of gas - yeah - but I can buy 2 gallons of gas for the price of one pack of cigarettes so I'm still way ahead :D
Good way to look at the two car issue. Hopefully, seeing you successfully becoming a non-smoker will give him incentive to become one.

Keep up the good work.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 27th, 2009, 9:57 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
windsor wrote:It has actually been a little easier to quit with him smoking than it was the times we tried to quit together. I am not wondering if he is 'cheating' (meaning of course I can 'cheat' too). He agreed to relegate himself to the great outdoors and not leave his cigarettes or butts in sight (I'm sure I could locate them if I looked - but I don't have to walk past and see them sitting there)

Good way to look at the two car issue. Hopefully, seeing you successfully becoming a non-smoker will give him incentive to become one.

Keep up the good work.
I think it will - he has noticed I'm not hacking up a lung every morning like he is :ymsick: ...that I have more energy and I'm breathing better...and haven't been miserable (like we both were on the patch AND on the gum AND cold turkey) when he's ready he'll do it. That's the things about smoking (or quitting anything I guess) YOU have to be ready for your own reasons. If you aren't you'll probably fail. Right now he still has excuses (start of a new school year - too stressful with new Principal and admin changes) of course with school back in session he is smoking WAY less (can't smoke on school grounds) and moving all the way outside instead of the screen porch or garage has cut him down some too since it is an effort to go smoke he's only smoking the ones he really wants. Without me there smoking too there is also no incentive to stay and have another one. ...he's probaby cut his intake by more than half since I quit. Any reduction is a good thing...and gets him that much closer to tossing them completely.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 27th, 2009, 10:10 am

windsor wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:

Keep up the good work.
I think it will - he has noticed I'm not hacking up a lung every morning like he is :ymsick: ...that I have more energy and I'm breathing better...and haven't been miserable (like we both were on the patch AND on the gum AND cold turkey) when he's ready he'll do it. That's the things about smoking (or quitting anything I guess) YOU have to be ready for your own reasons. If you aren't you'll probably fail. Right now he still has excuses (start of a new school year - too stressful with new Principal and admin changes) of course with school back in session he is smoking WAY less (can't smoke on school grounds) and moving all the way outside instead of the screen porch or garage has cut him down some too since it is an effort to go smoke he's only smoking the ones he really wants. Without me there smoking too there is also no incentive to stay and have another one. ...he's probaby cut his intake by more than half since I quit. Any reduction is a good thing...and gets him that much closer to tossing them completely.
Definitely has to be on his time table for quitting to be successful. At least he has cut back - a very good start.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 27th, 2009, 10:43 am

windsor wrote:I think it will - he has noticed I'm not hacking up a lung every morning like he is :ymsick: ...that I have more energy and I'm breathing better...and haven't been miserable (like we both were on the patch AND on the gum AND cold turkey) when he's ready he'll do it. That's the things about smoking (or quitting anything I guess) YOU have to be ready for your own reasons. If you aren't you'll probably fail. Right now he still has excuses (start of a new school year - too stressful with new Principal and admin changes) of course with school back in session he is smoking WAY less (can't smoke on school grounds) and moving all the way outside instead of the screen porch or garage has cut him down some too since it is an effort to go smoke he's only smoking the ones he really wants. Without me there smoking too there is also no incentive to stay and have another one. ...he's probaby cut his intake by more than half since I quit. Any reduction is a good thing...and gets him that much closer to tossing them completely.
This is all really great to hear. Continued vibes from Atlanta.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 27th, 2009, 5:11 pm

I have been told by several 'formers', that the quitter needs to have open access to available cigarettes in so as to prove themselves best able to refuse the temptation. As the temptation becomes less and less taxing, it becomes a natural thing. My father stopped, cold turkey, back in 1980. Right up until the day he died, he said he wanted one so badly he felt as though he could eat one. I've heard of those that stopped and had available smokes around to refuse, didn't feel the way my dad did.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 27th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Keep up the good work Windsor. Hope you had a good day.
-- DukeUsul