Vibes for my grandpa

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Vibes for my grandpa

Post by wilson » August 25th, 2009, 4:30 pm

OK, guys, now I need some. I've kind of been holding back on this one for a while.
My grandfather is 92, and about 6-8 weeks ago, he fell at home and hurt his back, requiring surgery. As is the case with many people that age, the invasive procedure exacerbated some other things about him that were already a bit precarious. He has been losing weight for a couple of years now, and the surgery and recovery have been such that he can barely eat. His weight loss has thus accelerated to an alarming rate...he weighs less than 100 pounds now. This has been due in large part to the fact that he apparently has some condition that causes him to aspirate on a good bit of the food he attempts to swallow. Needless to say, this makes eating unpleasant and even when he does eat, it's hard for him to absorb a great deal of nutrition. Consequently, he is rather weak and it is more and more difficult for him to regain any strength or do the rehab program for his back surgery. Finally, today, they opted to put in a feeding tube. It will apparently still allow him to eat if/when he feels like it, but much of his nutrition will be gained through the tube. It sounds absolutely horrible to me, but he himself was encouraged by the plan, knowing he'd be able to get nutrition even when he doesn't want to eat.
I went to see him on my birthday a few weeks ago, and I had never seen him in such a state. He is in an inpatient care/recovery facility that is a pretty depressing place. When I asked him how he was doing, he replied, "Not too good."
Understand, this is not at all like my grandfather. Until two months ago, he was one of the most amazing, vital 90-somethings you could ever meet. He worked in the yard every day, was strong and very active for his age, and often stated his goal of wanting to live to 100.
Now, he's really not looking good, and I dunno what the next few weeks will be like. My dad and his brother seem to be convinced that he'll be OK, but I think there's at least some wishful thinking going on there. On top of all that, there's a high degree of dysfunction in their family. Dad's brother and his parents all live together here in Atlanta (as of about a year ago), and Dad, of course, is here too. For the most part, things work OK when they're all settled in their (sort of odd, interpersonally weird) routines, but when you throw this kind of monkey wrench into the situation, it makes all four of them pretty damned kooky.
So OK, that was a lot. Just needed to get it out. #:-s
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Vibes for my grandpa

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 25th, 2009, 4:35 pm

VIbes to your grandfather, but more to you for the support that you will need. To care for the edlerly, especially when they are close to you, can be difficult. It sounds like he is getting the attention he needs, and that is good.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 25th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Hey Wilson, sending healing vibes and prayers to your grandfather, and coping vibes to your dad and his siblings.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 25th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Wilson,

Vibes and prayers from Kansas for your Grandpa, your Dad and his family situation, and for you. Watching a loved one age is so difficult. Hopefully some additional nutrition via the feeding tube will help him get his positive attitude back - which will speed his recovery.

DukieInKansas
Life is good!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 25th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Sending out big vibes from Charlotte.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 25th, 2009, 5:51 pm

We went through the same thing with my grandmother, my mom's mom. Did they put the feeding tube in through his mouth, or did they surgically implant it through his side? We got the one in her side so she'd be more comfortable and could talk. It is so hard to see our elders, the people we love, go downhill until they're not the people we've known all our lives. So sorry to hear about this, man. You have my sympathy and my empathy.

Good luck to you, your family, and your grandfather. Here's hoping that he gets better. Vibes, hugs, and prayers to all of you.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
:ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 25th, 2009, 5:56 pm

V-I-B-E-S, dude!! Will PM tonight.
:ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 25th, 2009, 5:56 pm

The progression life takes is sometimes very difficult. Vibes, hugs and prayers for your grandfather and your family.... especially you, Wilson. I hope the addition of the feeding tube brings some very positive results..... and that it lifts up your grandfather's spirits.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 25th, 2009, 6:05 pm

I have been through this with my grandmother and mother-in-law. It can be very difficult. I send healing vibes to your grandfather, and hugs and comfort to you and your family. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

We are ALWAYS here when you need to talk. Always.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 25th, 2009, 6:06 pm

bjornolf wrote: Did they put the feeding tube in through his mouth, or did they surgically implant it through his side? We got the one in her side so she'd be more comfortable and could talk.
I'm pretty sure it's the one in his side. I gotta check in on everything tomorrow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Best of luck with the difficult situation. Some health care decisions/plans in the elderly can be so gut-wrenching.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 25th, 2009, 6:26 pm

Sending vibes (prayers) for your grandpa to get better. Also sending them to you, so that you might be able to deal with this and help him the best you can. :ympray:
Class of 2014
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 25th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Oh Wilson, huge vibes to you and your family and especially Grandpa. It's not easy to see loved ones incapacitated, much less with seemingly defeated spirits. Hugs to you and if you want to talk, I'm here. Believe me. A lot has become much clearer recently and I really know what's important now. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 25th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Sue71 wrote:Oh Wilson, huge vibes to you and your family and especially Grandpa. It's not easy to see loved ones incapacitated, much less with seemingly defeated spirits. Hugs to you and if you want to talk, I'm here. Believe me. A lot has become much clearer recently and I really know what's important now. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Thanks for this, and indeed to everyone for chiming in as I knew you would. Hopefully I'll have something of an update tomorrow.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 25th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Wilson,

Vibes to your grandpa for health and healing,and vibes to you and your family for strength.

ArkieDukie
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 25th, 2009, 8:29 pm

I'm praying for your grandfather to get stronger and to feel better.

And I'm sending (((HUGS))) to you, Wilson.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 25th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I don't have anything to add to what has already been expertly written by others before me. Take solace in the knowledge that he's in the hands of professionals. Keep your own spirits high. Many here will pray for quick recovery.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 25th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Extra strength vibes Wilson }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 25th, 2009, 10:34 pm

I do hope your grandpa gets better very soon. Its never easy when loved ones are not doing well. Vibes & prayers to him & you.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 25th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Vibes to your grandfather, your family and you Wilson. I do hope he has the tube in the side, otherwise known as a PEG tube. Those can be extremely helpful. Encourage him to continue to at least consume liquids to maintain his swallowing ability. Spend what time with him you can and just focus on how much you love him. Hang in there.