Telemarketer phone call this morning

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Telemarketer phone call this morning

Post by TillyGalore » August 25th, 2009, 9:54 am

When I bought my Hyundai, I received a free 3 month subscription to XM radio. While I have enjoyed XM, I'm not going to continue with it as it just doesn't make sense for me to have it, I'm not in the car long enough. So, I've been ignoring the phone calls they have placed to my home phone.

Well, this morning the sneaky bastards called me at work. They asked to speak to Mr. Tilly Gabor, noting they were calling from XM radio. I am so sick of people screwing up my name, never mind what sex I am. So I replied, "not if you're going to screw up my name. To refer to me as a man is ludicrous, but then to screw up the pronunciation of my name, why did you even bother calling if you weren't going to get it right." The poor guy on the other end was speechless. I then stated, "not that this has any bearing on this conversation, but I will not be subscribing to XM radio. And, how did you get my work number?" The poor guy, replied from the dealership. He did apologize for messing up my name.

It really bugs me when people call me to solicit business, and then screw up the pronunciation of my name. I can kind of understand the whole sex thing, my first name is unusual, but I find a lot of people think I'm a guy until they find out I am a girl.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Telemarketer phone call this morning

Post by windsor » August 25th, 2009, 9:57 am

As someone whose real first name is ILONA and whose maiden name was INGEBRAND. I feel your pain. I have lived your pain.
You would think LoNi wouldn't be too hard..but nooooooo....now I'm LoRi. X( X( X( At least they usually get the last name right now.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 25th, 2009, 12:34 pm

4 words...
Do Not Call List
That way only your friends can screw your name up.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 25th, 2009, 12:42 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:4 words...
Do Not Call List
Don't think that would help in this case. Business that you have had dealings with are exempt. I assume that XM would count, as she had accepted the free trial offer from Hyundai.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 25th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Do Not Call List
They had my number as their product came with my car, thus even though I'm on the do not call list, they are allowed to call me.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 25th, 2009, 12:47 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Do Not Call List
They had my number as their product came with my car, thus even though I'm on the do not call list, they are allowed to call me.
Ahhh, well that sucks. I think if you ask them after they call to not call again, they have to abide by your wishes. But you do have to take the first call.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 25th, 2009, 1:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Do Not Call List
Ahhh, well that sucks. I think if you ask them after they call to not call again, they have to abide by your wishes. But you do have to take the first call.
I'm not sure. But, I don't think the young man I spoke to will be calling me again.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 25th, 2009, 6:58 pm

TillyGalore wrote: It really bugs me when people call me to solicit business, and then screw up the pronunciation of my name. I can kind of understand the whole sex thing, my first name is unusual, but I find a lot of people think I'm a guy until they find out I am a girl.
When a solicitor calls and screws up the pronunciation of my name, I have no problem stating that no one by that name lives here. Then I hang up.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 25th, 2009, 7:02 pm

For some reason, no responsible party is ever home at my place...
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 25th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Sirius sends me one(1) e-mail, just before renewal time. No phone calls.
I use the service daily. If not on the road, at home.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 25th, 2009, 9:59 pm

My 3-year term with Sirius just ended when I turned in my old car. The new one (which is used) has its Sirius radio still running (the previous owner must have payed for it and never switched it off or to a new device). So I called up Sirius to tell them I wanted to cancel. They asked the reason. I told them I got rid of the car. Bang, it was done. It's very nice these days to get someone to actually cancel your service without harassing you into staying.
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 25th, 2009, 10:02 pm

DukeUsul wrote:It's very nice these days to get someone to actually cancel your service without harassing you into staying.
...or making you wait at your house for a service technician who's scheduled to arrive "between 1 and 6." :twisted: ~x( :-q X( i-)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 25th, 2009, 10:08 pm

wilson wrote:...or making you wait at your house for a service technician who's scheduled to arrive "between 1 and 6." :twisted: ~x( :-q X( i-)
Or like Sears telling me that the tech will be here between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., and then not telling the techs schedule in the morning (what number am I on the list?) when I called to find out. Grrr. Oh, yeah, the service contract is literally due to be renewed on Thursday (8/27). I will - with a 12 year old box it's much cheaper to repair it for $100/year than buy a new one for $1000+. The water dispenser repair I had done 3 weeks ago had a "list price" of $387 for parts and labor, and that was just a switch and a small valve. It was the valve that was bad, which he discovered after he replaced the switch.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com