Romantic Things (Boys, Please Play Nice)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Romantic Things (Boys, Please Play Nice)

Post by Bostondevil » August 23rd, 2009, 7:13 am

I'm serious here, I'll make off color jokes in other threads to make up for it, but the question in this one is - what's the most romantic thing:
a) someone has ever done for you?
b) you could imagine someone ever doing for you?
c) you've done for someone else?

Answer any one or all three. I"m talking ROMANTIC, falling in love not falling into bed. I know I can trust wilson with this and all the lovelies, the rest of you (boys) if you can't do it right, please go hijack another thread. Ymo is probably to be trusted too.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Romantic Things (Boys, Please Play Nice)

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 7:24 am

Bostondevil wrote:I'm serious here, I'll make off color jokes in other threads to make up for it, but the question in this one is - what's the most romantic thing:

Answer any one or all three. I"m talking ROMANTIC, falling in love not falling into bed. I know I can trust wilson with this and all the lovelies, the rest of you (boys) if you can't do it right, please go hijack another thread. Ymo is probably to be trusted too.
a) splitting a bottle of champagne while providing/receiving a prolonged total (almost) body massage in a warm, bubbly jacuzzi
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 23rd, 2009, 8:10 am

For me, two tickets to La Boheme at the Metropolitan Opera, a cool fall day, a long flowing dress and a well-chosen and intimate dessert spot after the show.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 10:03 am

Gonna have to think on this one for a while. Good questions.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 23rd, 2009, 10:15 am

K68 took a pad of post-its and wrote love notes on each post-it. Then he placed the post-its all over my car. : :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
I worship the Blue Devil!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 23rd, 2009, 11:13 am

To answer my own question

b) write me a song.

c) husband specific - buy him cigars.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 12:06 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I'm serious here, I'll make off color jokes in other threads to make up for it, but the question in this one is - what's the most romantic thing:

b) I'll go along the same lines of thought as YBT. I'll take tix to Les Mis or Phantom. On Broadway (or in London :D ). As a surprise trip. With Mrs. DD, of course. A pic-a-nic lunch along a river or on a mountainside in a National Park would be a nice afternoon also. :D
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » August 23rd, 2009, 12:21 pm

Personally I just have too many examples to list with regards to all those special romantic things I've done. Let's just say that I am quite imaginative and motivated. lol
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 23rd, 2009, 12:22 pm

knights68 wrote:Personally I just have too many examples to list with regards to all those special romantic things I've done. Let's just say that I am quite imaginative and motivated. lol
Examples, please.
I worship the Blue Devil!
knights68

Post by knights68 » August 23rd, 2009, 12:28 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Examples, please.
Things I came up with:
Candlelit picnic in the middle of the living room floor
Love note written in soap on the bathroom mirror and one in lipstick too
Designed a webpage dedicated to my love
poems and stories to/about her
those are just a few off the top of my head.

Things done for me from my lady love included:
An awesome weekend at Emerald Isle (planned and executed solely by her)
Love notes
Voicemails
A specially designed box with our picture on it, used to put mementos in it.
bought me a ride in a NASCAR stock car... 8 laps at Lowes Motorspeedway!
And that is just a few items off the top of my head!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 12:41 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
knights68 wrote:Personally I just have too many examples to list with regards to all those special romantic things I've done. Let's just say that I am quite imaginative and motivated. lol
Examples, please.
This is just too :)) and =)) .

Tilly calling out the knight man...
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 23rd, 2009, 1:33 pm

1.) The old prof and a friend of his once gave a set of "scavenger hunt" clues to me and the friend's wife sending the two of us gals around to all our favorite stores in town where we were to identify ourselves to the clerks and claim gifts they had purchased for us in each location. Once we had collected all our shopping bags full presents...clothes, jewelry, perfume, flowers, chocolate etc, she and I sat down in the middle of the mall and opened everything gleefully. Passersby gathered and couldn't believe what they were watching. When we tried to explain it all, they'd just look more dumbfounded than ever. In the last boxes were instructions as to where to meet the guys for dinner.

2.) Another time we double dated on a "first date" (long after we'd been married) with this same couple. The rule was that we had to behave exactly as if we had never met before and have "getting to know you" type conversations only.

3.)Then, another time she and I left gift boxes for the guys with their favorite bar tender. When they opened them (right there in front of everybody in the bar) they found sexy night gowns and a set of clues to follow to where they could find us to deliver them. They found us in a hotel hot tub in another town. A terrific weekend ensued.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 23rd, 2009, 2:16 pm

My wife is honestly the most pragmatic woman on the face of the earth. Her idea of romantic is me refilling the Q-tip and cotton ball containers in our bathroom before they're empty, or making sure her work clothes are clean before she runs out, or cooking something special for dinner, or taking the kids when she's not working so she can have a little time to herself or go out with a girlfriend. She really doesn't like grand romantic gestures, especially if they cost money. I have to make sure I buy her flowers VERY rarely, for example, or she gets mad. We're not rich, but we're not hurting for money, either, but her ex-husband was an abusive jerk who used grand, expensive gestures, when they had NO money AT ALL, to try to get her to forgive him when he hurt her, so she's not a big fan of them any more.

About the most expensive gesture I ever pulled off without her getting mad was her class ring. She couldn't afford to buy a class ring when she graduated from VT, but always wanted one. I squirreled away money for a year to buy her one, guessed the size of her right ring finger based on it being a little bigger than her left, and stole a copy of her diploma. When I gave it to her, she thought it was very romantic, but the only reason she didn't get mad was that she was considering buying one herself anyway.

When we were dating, I asked her to marry me on Valentine's Day. I gave her a really nice necklace to throw her off and took her to a play at the Kennedy Center after a romantic dinner at the restaurant in the Kennedy Center. Then I took her home and we had a glass of champagne on the couch to celebrate Valentine's Day. I feigned dropping something to get to one knee. I gave her a three line, sappy speech about how much I loved her and that no woman had ever meant so much to me and that I hoped she wanted to be with me forever. Then I popped out the ring and asked her to be my wife. She cried so hard because she really hadn't been expecting it because of the necklace. I had TOTALLY thrown her off the scent. She said she didn't figure it out until she actually saw the ring. Even the speech on one knee hadn't clued her in.

Yesterday, she started playing Tesla's Love Song on her iPod dock, and told me when they had informal dances in school, she always wished a guy would ask her to dance to it. I dropped what I was doing and danced with her to it in the kitchen in front of the kids. Afterward, she cried, and I'm pretty sure I hadn't stepped on her toes a single time. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 23rd, 2009, 2:21 pm

bjornolf wrote:My wife is honestly the most pragmatic woman on the face of the earth. Her idea of romantic is me refilling the Q-tip and cotton ball containers in our bathroom before they're empty, or making sure her work clothes are clean before she runs out, or cooking something special for dinner, or taking the kids when she's not working so she can have a little time to herself or go out with a girlfriend. She really doesn't like grand romantic gestures, especially if they cost money. I have to make sure I buy her flowers VERY rarely, for example, or she gets mad. We're not rich, but we're not hurting for money, either, but her ex-husband was an abusive jerk who used grand, expensive gestures, when they had NO money AT ALL, to try to get her to forgive him when he hurt her, so she's not a big fan of them any more.

About the most expensive gesture I ever pulled off without her getting mad was her class ring. She couldn't afford to buy a class ring when she graduated from VT, but always wanted one. I squirreled away money for a year to buy her one, guessed the size of her right ring finger based on it being a little bigger than her left, and stole a copy of her diploma. When I gave it to her, she thought it was very romantic, but the only reason she didn't get mad was that she was considering buying one herself anyway.

When we were dating, I asked her to marry me on Valentine's Day. I gave her a really nice necklace to throw her off and took her to a play at the Kennedy Center after a romantic dinner at the restaurant in the Kennedy Center. Then I took her home and we had a glass of champagne on the couch to celebrate Valentine's Day. I feigned dropping something to get to one knee. I gave her a three line, sappy speech about how much I loved her and that no woman had ever meant so much to me and that I hoped she wanted to be with me forever. Then I popped out the ring and asked her to be my wife. She cried so hard because she really hadn't been expecting it because of the necklace. I had TOTALLY thrown her off the scent. She said she didn't figure it out until she actually saw the ring. Even the speech on one knee hadn't clued her in.

Yesterday, she started playing Tesla's Love Song on her iPod dock, and told me when they had informal dances in school, she always wished a guy would ask her to dance to it. I dropped what I was doing and danced with her to it in the kitchen in front of the kids. Afterward, she cried, and I'm pretty sure I hadn't stepped on her toes a single time. ;)

%%-
You are a very wise man!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2009, 2:35 pm

I can't be trusted? :-w

RATS... =((

The most recent romantic thing that ILJ has done for me is that she used a certain emoticon in another thread... and often. :-*

The most recent romantic item I bought ILJ was a special blue sapphire from Madagascar. But in terms of romantic things I do for ILJ, they don't involve buying her things. It's just doing the simple things that woo her and comfort her.

And now, to pull an Ozzie:
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you
I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 3:06 pm

c) I arranged to have her engagement ring delivered to her by her favorite hometown florist. This just happened to be at her parents' house on New Years Eve Day with me at the house and all of her family (sans older brother) peering around the corner at us as she opened the small corsage which had the ring wired into the center of the small floral arrangement. Her parents and 2 sisters were in on the plot, BTW. Ask ILJ to verify this if you don't believe me ;) :D. The funny thing was that our afternoon activity planned for that day had been to drive to Raleigh to look at suitable rings :D . The funniest thing about it was that we had, umm, "discussed" for 4 months whether we would have a ring or buy furniture with the money. By the time those discussions began, I already had the ring and was scheming how I was going to ask her to marry me and present her with the ring.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 24th, 2009, 6:41 am

I'm much more of a reader than poster, but I really couldn't let this thread go. This is in response to a).
My husband had a list of "when I retire" goals that included driving across the country. He was gone for about a month and when he returned, he gave me a cookbook (we're both suckers for cookbooks). Tucked inside were pressed flowers he'd picked at each stop along the way. Talk about verklempt!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2009, 9:11 am

shereec wrote:I'm much more of a reader than poster, but I really couldn't let this thread go. This is in response to a).
My husband had a list of "when I retire" goals that included driving across the country. He was gone for about a month and when he returned, he gave me a cookbook (we're both suckers for cookbooks). Tucked inside were pressed flowers he'd picked at each stop along the way. Talk about verklempt!
That's pretty cool. I love little actions like that, the reward is so much greater than the expense of the effort. Sounds like you got a winner for a hubby.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 24th, 2009, 9:29 am

This was the year after I graduated, while my wife was in her last year at Univ. of Richmond. They have a gazebo there on their lake along with the "legend" that if a boy kisses you on it then you'll end up married. Of course, Lisa and I had kissed there before....

So we were driving down from the North (she was at home in NJ for the summer) to Charlotte for a friend's wedding (actually it was Highlander's wedding, for those of you who know him from over yonder). I had the ring in my pocket in the car the whole way down. I made up some lame excuse about wanting to get off in Richmond and go swing by the University on the way down. I KNEW she just had to know what was up. The drive to the school from I-95 was a good twenty minutes. I KNEW the whole way she knew what I was planning. We parked by the lake and walked out to the gazebo. I got down on one knee and pulled the ring out. I said absolutely nothing. I kinda forgot that part I was so nervous. And the rest is history.

I asked her as we were driving away if she knew what was going on. She said she had no idea until I pulled the ring out.

-- DukeUsul
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 24th, 2009, 9:53 am

I think I've told the story before so I won't bore you with all the details but my husband never actually asked me to marry him.