Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Hangovers

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2009, 2:54 pm

colchar wrote:
windsor wrote:
Shammrog wrote:Hmmm. Is most Scotch single-malt? And, what is the difference?

single malt is from a single distillery - all scotch starts life as single malt. Blendeds are made from the product of different distilleries. Scotch's flavor is impacted by the type of water, the casks,and the strain of barley to name a few - each distilleries product can have a very different flavor. Blended is more common than single malts.

Blends don't come from different distilleries - they are usually from the same distillery but are just blends of different batches of single malt (usually with some additives).

I feel silly arguing Scotch with one from Scotland but...
http://www.maltmadness.com/guide-02.html
http://www.colonialspirits.com/blendedscotch.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Malt_Scotch
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Keep in mind that I don't drink the piss.

From Wikipedia "Blended Scotch whisky constitutes over 90% of the whisky produced in Scotland.[citation needed] Blended Scotch whiskies contain both malt whisky and grain whisky. They were initially created as an alternative to single malt whiskies which were considered by some to be too harsh. Master blenders combine the various malts and grain whiskies to produce a consistent "brand style". Notable blended Scotch whisky brands include Dewar's, Johnnie Walker, Cutty Sark, J&B, The Famous Grouse, and Chivas Regal."

Also from Wikipedia "A blended whisky (or whiskey) is the product of blending different types of whiskies. It is generally the product of mixing one or more single malt whiskies (made from 100 percent malted grain such as barley or rye) together with other grain whiskies or neutral grain spirits. Scotland, Ireland, and Canada are the most common countries of origin for blends. A mix of single malts only, without grain whisky, is called a vatted malt.

Most blended whiskies do not list an age. When a blended whisky does so, each individual malt and grain whisky must be at least as old as the age listed. Two of the most widely known examples of blended whisky are Johnnie Walker and Seagram's Seven Crown, but there are many others such as Jameson, Pigs Nose, Old St Andrews and Isle of Skye.

Grain whisky and other 'fillers' are usually much cheaper to produce than single malts, so blends containing them are usually much cheaper to buy. Most cocktails and mixed drinks that call for whisky use blended whisky. This is primarily for cost reasons, and secondarily because the complex flavours of single malt whiskies would be overshadowed by the mixer(s). Scotch purists generally consider blended whisky to be an inferior drink to the single malt Scotch varieties. Others might argue that blending allows for the creation of smoother or more desirable flavors, and many experts agree that top-quality blends can rival certain single-malts in overall flavor and drinking enjoyment."

Neither of them make any mention of bringing together single malts from different distilleries.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 17th, 2009, 5:09 pm

colchar wrote:
Shammrog wrote:
Any known cures that work for that, or for any aspect of hangovers? Hydration, Advil, etc. don't help with the next day fatigue/mental haze...

There is a Scottish pop called Irn Bru that is a hangover sure (figures). If you get the stuff made in North America it doesn't work but if you can get your hands on imported stuff it works great. It has very high levels of caffeine and quinine and those are what help the hangovers. Unfortunately, I don't have any right now.
Ymmm, Irn Bru. Actually, it tastes like a metallic, non-sweet cream soda, not my favorite. I see it occassionally at a local British shop here.

My cure was always gatorade and french fries. Now, it's just advil, coffee, water, and swearing I'll never drink again. After age 27, my liver just decided it never wanted to process alcohol like it did when I was younger. More than 2 drinks, and I hurt the next day. #-o
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 17th, 2009, 5:11 pm

One of my best buddies here on the island, a gay bartender with the cutest butt, told me how he avoids hangovers. Chug down milk and take a few ibuprofen before going to bed. So far it has worked beautifully for me. For example, I was a very bad girl last Saturday night and polished off 2 bottles of white zinnfandel wine. I was a wee bit fuzzy the next day, but no headache or upset stomach.
Miles

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2009, 6:15 pm

John Wayne Special from "Eat at Joe's" in Redondo Beach always hits the spot too.
Two eggs over medium, with cheese, on home fries and a tortilla, smothered in Spanish sauce and surrounded with sausage. Throw in a few bloody mary's and you'll cure any hangover. :-bd
Image]
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 8:13 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Ymmm, Irn Bru. Actually, it tastes like a metallic, non-sweet cream soda, not my favorite.

I think it tastes more like a combination of ginger ale and orange pop. Definitely an acquired taste. Actually, IIRC, Scotland is the only country in which Coke is available where it is outsold by another pop - Irn Bru!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 17th, 2009, 11:51 pm

Ok, if I know I'm going to be drinking a lot, I take 1 Advil, 1 Pepto Bismol, & 1 multi-vitamin BEFORE starting. Drink water in between and 1-2 at the end. Take 1 more of each mentioned before bed. No problems except being tired if I don't get much sleep.

If I go on an "unplanned" spree, I take 2 Advil, 1 Pepto, & 1-2 multi-vitamins before bed, plus 1-2 glasses of water. Again, no problems.

YMMV.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 18th, 2009, 10:16 am

Some of you are going to see what a hangover looks like this morning at Spring Brunchgate. B-)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 18th, 2009, 1:09 pm

I always thought that a "John Wayne Special" was also known as "single ply" toilet paper.

You know, "It won't take shit off anybody!" :))

My hangover cure------STAY DRUNK!

On a more serious note, I read somewhere, many moons ago, that the villain in the hangover war is sugar content. The higher the sugar content of the beverage, the worse the pain next day. Does anyone know if this is true? I certainly have had the experience that the more expensive the drink, the lesser the pain. @-)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2009, 1:18 pm

captmojo wrote:
On a more serious note, I read somewhere, many moons ago, that the villain in the hangover war is sugar content. The higher the sugar content of the beverage, the worse the pain next day. Does anyone know if this is true?

I've heard that too. Not sure how true it is, but I've definitely heard it.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Miles

Post by Miles » April 20th, 2009, 2:03 am

Shammrog wrote:
Miles wrote:
Shammrog wrote:I would be ok but for the next day sleepiness. But yet often can't nap even if I want to...

Any known cures that work for that, or for any aspect of hangovers? Hydration, Advil, etc. don't help with the next day fatigue/mental haze...
Not a cure exactly, but I found that when I was in Germany at a trade show, I could drink all night long, then wake up with barely the semblance of a hangover. Really the worst feeling I had was just being tired from lack of sleep. I attribute this to the Reinheitsgebot. No preservatives, additives or other superfluous ingredients makes for a pleasant hangover.

I also make sure that I mix in a few glasses of water throughout the night. Hyrdration is key.
What is Reinheitsgebot? Can you get it in the U.S.?
Reinheitsgebot is the German Beer or Bavarian Purity Law that helped regulate the production of beer, insuring that water, barley, and hops were the only ingredients in beer.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » April 20th, 2009, 2:17 am

Sue71 wrote:Ok, if I know I'm going to be drinking a lot, I take 1 Advil, 1 Pepto Bismol, & 1 multi-vitamin BEFORE starting. Drink water in between and 1-2 at the end. Take 1 more of each mentioned before bed. No problems except being tired if I don't get much sleep.

If I go on an "unplanned" spree, I take 2 Advil, 1 Pepto, & 1-2 multi-vitamins before bed, plus 1-2 glasses of water. Again, no problems.

YMMV.
Oh my that's quite a prescription. I'll just stick with a Bloody Mary for breakfast.
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 20th, 2009, 4:41 am

Miles wrote:I hate em too, but they're a necessary evil. One of the big problems here is that all of my friends are night owls. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting around a poker table at 4:30 AM and said: "Okay guys, last hand I gotta go to work in two hours."
Well since it's slightly after 4:30 in the morning, I thought I'd ad that, even though I'm not drunk, hangovers really do suck. Glad I didn't have one after attending the brunchgate and afternoon reunion tents on Saturday afternoon. Beer pong in the afternoon. It had been way to long since I had enjoyed that :mrgreen:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 8:10 am

Shammrog wrote:
Miles wrote:
Shammrog wrote:I would be ok but for the next day sleepiness. But yet often can't nap even if I want to...

Not a cure exactly, but I found that when I was in Germany at a trade show, I could drink all night long, then wake up with barely the semblance of a hangover. Really the worst feeling I had was just being tired from lack of sleep. I attribute this to the Reinheitsgebot. No preservatives, additives or other superfluous ingredients makes for a pleasant hangover.

I also make sure that I mix in a few glasses of water throughout the night. Hyrdration is key.
What is Reinheitsgebot? Can you get it in the U.S.?
Reinheitsgebot is the name for the German purity laws from the 1500's, IIRC, for beer making. To adhere to German standards, beer must contain only 4 ingredients: water, yeast, hops and barley. Anything else is verboten or scheiss, I guess. :lol: .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 8:20 am

[
What is Reinheitsgebot? Can you get it in the U.S.?[/quote]
Reinheitsgebot is the German Beer or Bavarian Purity Law that helped regulate the production of beer, insuring that water, barley, and hops were the only ingredients in beer.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't see this until I responded below. This is mostly correct with one "small" addition-what are you going to ferment all those ingredients with? :oops:

A: Yeast! :lol:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 20th, 2009, 3:02 pm

colchar wrote:
windsor wrote:
Shammrog wrote:Hmmm. Is most Scotch single-malt? And, what is the difference?

single malt is from a single distillery - all scotch starts life as single malt. Blendeds are made from the product of different distilleries. Scotch's flavor is impacted by the type of water, the casks,and the strain of barley to name a few - each distilleries product can have a very different flavor. Blended is more common than single malts.

Blends don't come from different distilleries - they are usually from the same distillery but are just blends of different batches of single malt (usually with some additives).
Like Windsor said, far be it from me to argue Scotch with a Scot :D , but most blends are actually predominately grain whisky (corn [maize] or rye) with some malt whisky from several distilleries. Note that Johnnie Walker (the world's most popular Scotch whisky) is a blend of over 35 whiskies - and you will not find a Johnnie Walker single malt.

Note The Glenlivet's page at wikipedia states that what is not sold as The Glenlivet single malt is used in Pernod Ricard's blended whiskies. Also note that Pernod Ricard's blended whiskies include only Chivas Regal and Royal Salute. If you're drinking Chivas, you're drinking (some) The Glenlivet, some Strathisla, probably whisky from a bunch of other distilleries and a whole lotta grain whisky.

Some good blended whiskies are vatted or pure malt whiskies, which have several malt whiskies in the blend (no grain whisky). One of the best I've had is Johnnie Walker Green Label - which if you check the site out is made from single malts from several distilleries: Talisker, Cragganmore, Caol Ila and Linkwood. It's sold in a really cool wooden box too.

Oh snap. After I typed all that I just found this. http://www.scotchwhisky.net/blended/index.htm
And this: http://www.scotchwhisky.net/blended/johnnie_red.htm. Johnnie Walker includes whisky from the Aberfeldy and Cardhu distilliries, among others.

I will need to upload a picture of my single malt container collection. They usually come in these real cool cylindrical containers which I've been saving. There's no use in aging whisky in the bottle, so all the actual whisky is gone. But I've probably got at least 15-20 different single malts in the collection.

Scotch and Irish whisk(e)y is a passion.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » April 20th, 2009, 3:13 pm

And I find the best hangover cure is a Bojangles chicken or egg/bacon/cheese biscuit.
-- DukeUsul
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 20th, 2009, 5:23 pm

colchar wrote:
Shammrog wrote: Last time I got really pissed (the British term) was last year. With Earljam. In Chattanooga. Ugly.

I couldn't make it into Toronto when EJ was here last year (or the year before) which really sucked. I would've loved to have gotten wasted with him - I think he'd be a real hoot to drink with.
That WOULD have been fun and who knows, maybe a return trip to Toronto is in ordrer. The Blue Jays are off to a hot start!

-EJays
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 20th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Miles wrote:John Wayne Special from "Eat at Joe's" in Redondo Beach always hits the spot too.
Two eggs over medium, with cheese, on home fries and a tortilla, smothered in Spanish sauce and surrounded with sausage. Throw in a few bloody mary's and you'll cure any hangover. :-bd
Image]
I'm thinking some extra strength Bloody Mary's (yumm, more Vodka and some tomato juice for coloring) = hangover cure for sure, followed by this delicious morsel after the morning buzz ensues.... otherwise, I might have a problem looking at this wonderful, sounding dish!
Miles

Post by Miles » April 21st, 2009, 1:18 am

cl15876 wrote:
Miles wrote:John Wayne Special from "Eat at Joe's" in Redondo Beach always hits the spot too.
I'm thinking some extra strength Bloody Mary's (yumm, more Vodka and some tomato juice for coloring) = hangover cure for sure, followed by this delicious morsel after the morning buzz ensues.... otherwise, I might have a problem looking at this wonderful, sounding dish!
I'm telling you what man, it is a sight to behold when your server brings this out to you after an all-nighter. It's magic, like puppies. :o3
sMiles