Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 21st, 2009, 6:13 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I forget what the 420 is.
Heh, heh. I know what the 420 is. And it doesn't belong in a Ymmm Beer thread.
WRONG 420 reference! [-x
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 7:33 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Right over my head.

Is it anything like bud/coorslite and a canoe? :oops: :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » August 21st, 2009, 7:43 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Not so fast. As this thread has previously discussed, hops and cannabis are related plants and hoppy beers (such Extra Pale Ales like 420) often have a distinct cannabis aroma. My guess is that this wasn't lost on Sweetwater when they named that beer.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 21st, 2009, 7:45 pm

Speaking of hoppy beers, tonight I have a pair of bombers to choose from and, hopefully, compare over the weekend (won't kill one bomber tonight, let alone two). They are Avery Maharaja (obviously) and Stone Ruination IPA (which I don't think I've ever had). Looking forward to both.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 7:51 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Not so fast. As this thread has previously discussed, hops and cannabis are related plants and hoppy beers (such Extra Pale Ales like 420) often have a distinct cannabis aroma. My guess is that this wasn't lost on Sweetwater when they named that beer.
Like they named some of their other beers... :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 7:53 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Speaking of hoppy beers, tonight I have a pair of bombers to choose from and, hopefully, compare over the weekend (won't kill one bomber tonight, let alone two). They are Avery Maharaja (obviously) and Stone Ruination IPA (which I don't think I've ever had). Looking forward to both.
I think you'll highly enjoy the Ruination. Not sure which one you'll like better though.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 21st, 2009, 7:59 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Speaking of hoppy beers, tonight I have a pair of bombers to choose from and, hopefully, compare over the weekend (won't kill one bomber tonight, let alone two). They are Avery Maharaja (obviously) and Stone Ruination IPA (which I don't think I've ever had). Looking forward to both.
I think you'll highly enjoy the Ruination. Not sure which one you'll like better though.
That will be my first. Really looking forward to it as I always like Stone's beers.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Rockies game, which means the Falling Rock Tap House for some fine ales before the game. When I was there last month they had PSM on tap, which is the first time I've seen on draft. I think I'll start with Green Flash IPA and then who knows!
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 21st, 2009, 8:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
That will make have a nice comparison. 2 of the hoppier beers I have tried...I prefer the Ruination but both are great..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 21st, 2009, 8:09 pm

devildeac wrote: Drink 2 this month or next and cellar the other 2 for 6-12 months. I did that with a 4 pack from this winter and loved the last 2 that I drank last week. Mmmm, time for a review of "aged" PSM...
Great call..I have my last of a 4 pack from last fall sitting in my fridge after spacing them out every 3-4 months..A great beer that is even better with age...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 21st, 2009, 8:19 pm

Weyerbacher Riserva---Bit of a rarity that I surprisingly found at the store near my house. Wild ale/sour ale made with raspberries and brett and aged in oak. I have had very little experience with sours ales and was excited to try. Pours a thick reddish brown. The taste right off the bat is mouth puckering sour. There is bit of sweetness from the raspberries and some bitterness in the finish but overall this was as sour as a lemon. Almost no carbonation. There is a bit of funk though not as much as I expected. Very enjoyable though hard to consider as a beer..Plan to finish the rest of the 750ml bottle tonight.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 21st, 2009, 9:53 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
No kidding? That's wild!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 21st, 2009, 11:21 pm

Hennepin from Ommegang. I love Belgian brews, and Ommegang is a favorite of mine. Not too costly, and very tasty, I usually make sure to enjoy a bottle of the abbey ale once a month. I've never tried the Hennepin, and I wish I had bought an abbey to compare it too, because from my recolection the two are very close. The Hennepin is a golden Saison, quite hoppy with citrus notes. I believe it's less fruity than the abbey ale, and the ABV is lower at 7.5%. I could easily enjoy this brew during a day's break as well as after dinner, while the abbey is definetely more of an evening ale. It possesses a wonderful aroma, slightly spicy. I bought 4, but I think I'll leave 2 for my stepdad to enjoy. I'll restock at TW on my way back home.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 12:05 am

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
I know Devildeac and Bluebear have tried Ballast Point before and were impressed. I wonder what the difference is between this one and the Sculpin. Of course this is a high hopped ale, 7%ABV, very flavorful and pretty heavy. I'm feeling the pull of the fall brews for sure, I'm getting a bit hopped out. It seems as if for some of these breweries the challenge is to see how many pounds of hops can be crammed into the fermenter, and often the result is "too many". As long as you know what you are getting into, it's ok, but I'm not sure the casual drinker will find the enjoyment. As far as Big Eye goes, I like it, but it's one for moderation. Not quite "Hop Wallop" levels, but close. Nothing to really stand it out against any other good IPA, but it is a good one worth buying.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 2:12 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:People's Pint Slippery Slope--My first braggot which as far as I can tell is like a weaker mead made with honey..the description of slippery slope is "A much awaited winter tradition; this is brewed in the style of an English "Braggert." Made with local apple cider, honey, barley malt and fresh ginger"--and that is exactly how it tastes..a cross between a hard cider and a lager. There was a bit of a lemony kick to it and you can taste the spicy ginger in the finish. This was a very enjoyable drink though its hard to consider it a beer. At almost 10% it was a little too smooth and easy drinking..glad I split the bomber with my wife as I could have too quickly plowed through it alone..
How does that compare to the DFH Midas Touch?
It's been a while since I've had a Midas Touch but I remember that tasting a lot more like "honeyed" wine while Slippery slope was really dominated by the apple cider. Similar beers though that are tasty to drink with hints of beer but hard to consider as beers. I think its time for a midas touch refresher..
Your memory is quite good, I'm enjoying one now. It oooooozes honey. This is really lovely, I've never had one. It's like crossing a meade with a barleywine, very low hops and very smooth. 9%ABV. I'll have to try a Slippery Slope.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:19 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
I know Devildeac and Bluebear have tried Ballast Point before and were impressed. I wonder what the difference is between this one and the Sculpin. Of course this is a high hopped ale, 7%ABV, very flavorful and pretty heavy. I'm feeling the pull of the fall brews for sure, I'm getting a bit hopped out. It seems as if for some of these breweries the challenge is to see how many pounds of hops can be crammed into the fermenter, and often the result is "too many". As long as you know what you are getting into, it's ok, but I'm not sure the casual drinker will find the enjoyment. As far as Big Eye goes, I like it, but it's one for moderation. Not quite "Hop Wallop" levels, but close. Nothing to really stand it out against any other good IPA, but it is a good one worth buying.
I have never seen this before until spotting it at Total Wine a couple weeks ago. I have yet to buy a 6er but will head over there this afternoon after reading this review and add it to the other IPA's I bought earlier this month. Thanks. Unless you bought a 6er, then I will hold off and trade for it in a couple weeks. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 10:29 am

Palo Santo Marron-aged about 6-8 months-I woulda waited a year or more but I got "bluebeared" by this one and couldn't wait. In fact, I had 2 left from this winter and drank them both (on consecutive nights, BTW, as they are 12% ABV :D ). I believe this is even smoother now. This is an unfiltered brown ale that pours a dark, clear brown and has a modest head that is retained for a bit, unlike many other high gravity brews. It is aged in hand-crafted Palo Santo wooden vessels and has an IBU of 50. There are luscious notes of vanilla, dark chocolate caramel and perhaps some dark rum. It is a tad boozey and that is descriptive and not a drawback. Pull one of these from your 'fridge and let it sit on the counter before decanting into a pint glass or a snifter. This would be a great dessert by itself, with anything chocolate or as a beverage with a dinner of anything spicy or BBQ'd. Rmd mentioned this in the past, but this is now a year round offering so I will ALWAYS have one or two of these in the "cellar" for personal or shared enjoyment.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 22nd, 2009, 3:33 pm

devildeac wrote:Palo Santo Marron-aged about 6-8 months-I woulda waited a year or more but I got "bluebeared" by this one and couldn't wait. In fact, I had 2 left from this winter and drank them both (on consecutive nights, BTW, as they are 12% ABV :D ). I believe this is even smoother now. This is an unfiltered brown ale that pours a dark, clear brown and has a modest head that is retained for a bit, unlike many other high gravity brews. It is aged in hand-crafted Palo Santo wooden vessels and has an IBU of 50. There are luscious notes of vanilla, dark chocolate caramel and perhaps some dark rum. It is a tad boozey and that is descriptive and not a drawback. Pull one of these from your 'fridge and let it sit on the counter before decanting into a pint glass or a snifter. This would be a great dessert by itself, with anything chocolate or as a beverage with a dinner of anything spicy or BBQ'd. Rmd mentioned this in the past, but this is now a year round offering so I will ALWAYS have one or two of these in the "cellar" for personal or shared enjoyment.
This truly is Ymm, Beer! I have a 10/23/08 bottle in the fridge that might get drank by weeks' end. So pleased that this is a year-round offering.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 22nd, 2009, 7:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Ballast Point Big Eye IPA
I've had their Sculpin and Dorado but never the Big Eye...What I liked about those 2 was that they were hoppy but smooth..not overpowering. Sounds like they went the other way with the Big Eye...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 22nd, 2009, 7:29 pm

devildeac wrote:Palo Santo Marron-aged about 6-8 months-I woulda waited a year or more but I got "bluebeared" by this one and couldn't wait. In fact, I had 2 left from this winter and drank them both (on consecutive nights, BTW, as they are 12% ABV :D ). I believe this is even smoother now. This is an unfiltered brown ale that pours a dark, clear brown and has a modest head that is retained for a bit, unlike many other high gravity brews. It is aged in hand-crafted Palo Santo wooden vessels and has an IBU of 50. There are luscious notes of vanilla, dark chocolate caramel and perhaps some dark rum. It is a tad boozey and that is descriptive and not a drawback. Pull one of these from your 'fridge and let it sit on the counter before decanting into a pint glass or a snifter. This would be a great dessert by itself, with anything chocolate or as a beverage with a dinner of anything spicy or BBQ'd. Rmd mentioned this in the past, but this is now a year round offering so I will ALWAYS have one or two of these in the "cellar" for personal or shared enjoyment.
I represent that remark :D I have moved my cellar beers from the closet to the actual cellar (after a monumental cleaning) so I'm hoping that the move improves my restraint..What an incredible description though of a great beer. I may have to pull out my last one tonight and if so, I blame you :lol:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 22nd, 2009, 7:29 pm

Just wondering, do they let you carry on a six pack on a plane in this day and age?