LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 12:18 pm

bjornolf wrote:...it reminds me of a game an old friend who was a girl (didn't want it confused with "girlfriend"), where we'd add the words "in bed" to anything people said. It makes for some hysterical moments.

%%-
Works exceptionally well with fortune cookies.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 12:20 pm

devildeac wrote:Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? :D

(answer later this AM so I can give a few folks the chance to ponder...) ;)
Something about the pricks being on the outside of the porcupine?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 12:22 pm

cl15876 wrote:Sham - when are we going to play again? Lavabe and Wilson (especially) are abusing me! I need the practice and secret receipe!!! For example how does one score 38 points with the word AX? I know Lavabe knows!!!! :(( :(( :((
It's much more fun to score 52 points with "ax."
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 12:24 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Shammrog wrote:I mean, I am starting to feel like Tina Turner.
You know, you could always take it out on wilson... ;)

OH WAIT... wilson is back to his normal stellar form in SCRABBLE. :-bd
I AGREE!!!! He now has about a 300 point lead over me!!!! I think I just broke 10! =)) =)) =))
Watch it, Lav. :-w Shamm did get me once recently, but I'm back to laying down some serious smack on people. All is right with the world.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 12:26 pm

CathyCA wrote:When we were in high school, and bored in church, my friends and I used to flip through the hymnal and add the words "between the sheets" to the end of the hymn titles. Funny stuff.
That's a new one on me. "Watchman, tell us of the night between the sheets." Very nice.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 22nd, 2009, 12:27 pm

CathyCA wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

Is it: the porcupine's pricks are on the OUTSIDE? Total guess there. Highlight to read, as per usual.

%%-
Very good. You must know a thing or two about BMW drivers. ;-)
Well, then, just call me Ms. Prick.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 12:55 pm

cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm setting up a wireless webcam for my stepdad, it works pretty well (D-Link DCS-920). Tomorrow I'll have to set him up with a domain that he wants, and whip up a quick webpage for the camera. I'm pretty impressed with his HughesNet, he has 1.5Mbps download, 0.2Mbps upload. I wasn't expecting it to be that fast, but I think he is paying extra for it. Also, I'd love for it to rain while I'm here so I can what effect it has.
CB&B - is the webcam for security purposes and so we can go to his link and check out how beautiful everything is there?
Also, does it work over secure wireless? I haven't looked up the product yet, just wondering?
It is for both security and webcam use. It does work over secure wireless, but I removed the encryption because there is nobody up here within recieving distance to get the signal. Even if they do,they still need passwords to access the camera.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 12:57 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Made it to Virginia, man it's pretty up here. If it weren't for the shitty winters it would be a tempting place to live.
Hey NOW!!!! You just need to get ya a truck!!!!! A 4x4 and then you won't have any problems!!!! ;) Glad you got there safely!!!! :-bd
Screw that. I lived for 5 years in the mountains, and had a truck. Trucks don't cure depression as you enter the 5th month of nothing but grey trees and cold weather.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2009, 1:11 pm

wilson wrote:Watch it, Lav. :-w Shamm did get me once recently, but I'm back to laying down some serious smack on people. All is right with the world.
A 100pt loss to me hardly qualifies as "laying down some serious smack on people." :D

Having said that, I think Shamm is on hiatus this weekend. After two severe wins over him, I responded to his opening 68 pt bingo with a 90 pt bingo of my own.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 1:19 pm

Lavabe wrote:A 100pt loss to me hardly qualifies as "laying down some serious smack on people." :D
That's OK; we're still at just about 50-50. And how about that recent game where you flat out forfeited to me with a third of the tiles still outstanding? ;)
I have to say, your gameplay disrupts me more than anyone else's. You've blocked countless bingos of mine since we started playing.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 22nd, 2009, 1:23 pm

I'm baaaaack! So, I had a great time at the PA conference in Myrtle Beach and got to hang out with the parents and catch up with lots of PA buddies. They did, unfortunately, charge $9.95 a day for wireless. There was no way I was willing to pay it, hence my hiatus. Congrats to DD on achieving green jacket (vest :D) status! I have a ton of catching up to do so I think I'll resurrect the "What did I miss thread!"

Just so ya'll know, I missed my PW buddies :(
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2009, 1:32 pm

DukePA wrote:I'm baaaaack! So, I had a great time at the PA conference in Myrtle Beach and got to hang out with the parents and catch up with lots of PA buddies. They did, unfortunately, charge $9.95 a day for wireless. There was no way I was willing to pay it, hence my hiatus. Congrats to DD on achieving green jacket (vest :D) status! I have a ton of catching up to do so I think I'll resurrect the "What did I miss thread!"

Just so ya'll know, I missed my PW buddies :(
Welcome back, DukePA! We missed you too! Any good job leads at the conference?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2009, 1:33 pm

I hit the MoBot early this morning, along with everyone else in St. Louis with a camera. Took some cool shots. I have a new album on FB for those who are interested.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2009, 1:34 pm

I also went to the farmer's market in Tower Grove Park. Got lots of good fruits and veggies. :-bd
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2009, 1:35 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:A 100pt loss to me hardly qualifies as "laying down some serious smack on people." :D
That's OK; we're still at just about 50-50. And how about that recent game where you flat out forfeited to me with a third of the tiles still outstanding? ;)
I have to say, your gameplay disrupts me more than anyone else's. You've blocked countless bingos of mine since we started playing.
The forfeit with 1/3 of the tiles left was the 6 consecutive rounds of 6 vowels, including my ultimate one of: UAEIIII. The round before I forfeited, I actually laid down two consonants. When I had the final rack of 7 vowels, I just said enough.

Funny, but I think we are now at 50-50 in w-l against each other. What really helped my game was the 10 weeks of playing against the iTouch CPU while in the field. The algorithm it uses is a maximum points one, so I had plenty of practice at blocking bingos. It also forced me to increase my own number of bingos. Judging from what Shamm posted, I've been blocking him as well.

The other thing the iTouch CPU did was build up a few more WTF words in my active memory, including ZAFFER (BD's new favorite word). ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2009, 1:36 pm

My outing this morning wore me out - I'm currently on megadoses of augmentin, recovering from a sinus infection. Every morning I think I feel better, and then an hour later I'm ready to collapse and take a nap. :-q
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2009, 1:38 pm

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:
The forfeit with 1/3 of the tiles left was the 6 consecutive rounds of 6 vowels, including my ultimate one of: UAEIIII. The round before I forfeited, I actually laid down two consonants. When I had the final rack of 7 vowels, I just said enough.

Funny, but I think we are now at 50-50 in w-l against each other. What really helped my game was the 10 weeks of playing against the iTouch CPU while in the field. The algorithm it uses is a maximum points one, so I had plenty of practice at blocking bingos. It also forced me to increase my own number of bingos. Judging from what Shamm posted, I've been blocking him as well.

The other thing the iTouch CPU did was build up a few more WTF words in my active memory, including ZAFFER (BD's new favorite word). ;)
I just bought Scrabble for my iPhone. Hopefully I can use your strategy to employ my game. I'm a pretty weak opponent right now. I can come up with decent long words, but I'm not so great at maximizing points. I also am not good at obscure words.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2009, 1:46 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I hit the MoBot early this morning, along with everyone else in St. Louis with a camera. Took some cool shots. I have a new album on FB for those who are interested.
Good, but you really MUST try a macro lens, especially with the bee shot, and also with things like shot #11 & 24. Do it once, and you'll see what I mean.

I LOVE the Climatron reflection shot. I think that is your best shot.

Did you use autofocus on the later flower reflection shots? Manual focus might work even better.

Cheers,
Lavabe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2009, 1:50 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I just bought Scrabble for my iPhone. Hopefully I can use your strategy to employ my game. I'm a pretty weak opponent right now. I can come up with decent long words, but I'm not so great at maximizing points. I also am not good at obscure words.
You're not bad. And hey, your rating is getting closer to that of Shamm.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2009, 2:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I hit the MoBot early this morning, along with everyone else in St. Louis with a camera. Took some cool shots. I have a new album on FB for those who are interested.
Good, but you really MUST try a macro lens, especially with the bee shot, and also with things like shot #11 & 24. Do it once, and you'll see what I mean.

I LOVE the Climatron reflection shot. I think that is your best shot.

Did you use autofocus on the later flower reflection shots? Manual focus might work even better.

Cheers,
Lavabe
Thanks! ITA about the macro lens. I was thinking that as I was taking pictures. There's only so much you can do with a 18-105mm lens. Will have to go back and see what 11 and 24 are.

The first Climatron reflection shot is especially cool. The sun was at just the right angle for great sky color and reflections. The framing turned out to be good as well.

Yes, I did use autofocus, although I use program mode rather than the automatic mode. That means you choose "film speed" (I used ISO200) but everything else is automatic. It also would've been fun to play around with the A mode (manual aperture, everything else automatic). I'd like to play with the camera more and then take another photography class at CCC. There's an Intro to DSLR class that I think would be good. It would also give me a chance to go back to Pumpernickle's - and also hit the bagel place.
-- Albert Einstein