Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Q

Post by cl15876 » August 16th, 2009, 10:37 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I checked my fermenter tonight, which still has my last batch of beer in it. I made this with everything I had months ago (April?), and have pretty much just let it hang out because of laziness and painting endeavours. I checked it tonight, pretty much expecting a nice coat of mold on top. Nope, it's looking perfect. I gotta bottle it soon since I want to have it for at least the first October brunchgate. I think it helped tons that I have it my glass carboy instead of the bucket, way less chance for contamination. Anyways, just a brewers update.
My glass is empty and clean and I have a few "traders" and will accumulate a few more over the next 3 weeks or so... ;)
Mine TOOO!!! Still wanting to come down and make that KILLIANs like blend "butt Better!!! so I hear" with some Beef Brisket/BBQ on the smoker!!!! Just let me know, but NOT THIS WEEKEND thru next WEEK! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 18th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Bridgeport IPA-I have not had one of these in years and forgot how good this ale is. It is a bottle-conditioned IPA with a bit of yeast and malt added before bottling so it continues to ferment in the bottle which adds to the flavor and shelf life. Pours a slightly cloudy yellow and has a slight bit of funk from the yeast, which you can either swirl and include in your pour, or, decant slowly and leave the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I chose the former. Modest head. The aromas and tastes of a floral bouquet, a bit of cannabis and a very slight palate of grapefruit zest make this a very pleasant session beer. The IBU are modest at an estimated 50-60 so it is not as highly hopped or bitter as a typical IPA and the ABV is 5.5% so it makes a fine session beer and would pair nicely with lightly spiced or seasoned grilled fish or chicken. I bought a 6er of this so I will enjoy 2-3 over the next couple weeks and bring the rest to Brunchgate #1 to share and/or trade. Next up: DFH 60 Minute IPA.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2009, 10:13 pm

devildeac wrote: I bought a 6er of this so I will enjoy 2-3 over the next couple weeks and bring the rest to Brunchgate #1 to share and/or trade. Next up: DFH 60 Minute IPA.
Wooohooo!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 18th, 2009, 11:54 pm

And the winner is...

clamato....

BZZT!

Wrong!

And the final answer is:

Kasteel from the the Castle Brewery. I have never seen or heard of this ale before and decided to take a chance on a brand new brew (bottled on 080407-you figger out European dating :roll: ) for this review and I am far from disappointed. This is a Belgian brown ale, or a dubbel/dubble/double. There is a mild creamy, foamy pour and the aromas and tastes are those of dark brown sugar, raisins, figs and dates with very little hop presence. It is clean, smooth and crisp and just a bit boozy at 11.3% ABV. This stuff was $15 for the 4 pack of 11.2 ounce bottles and I'd buy it again. I'll have another next week and save 2 for trading/sharing at Brunchgate #1 or #2. :D

And, with that, I respectfully submit...

Edit: WOO-HOO! A new level/category/designation/ranking :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2009, 11:57 pm

devildeac wrote:And the winner is...

clamato....

BZZT!

Wrong!

And the final answer is:

Kasteel from the the Castle Brewery. I have never seen or heard of this ale before and decided to take a chance on a brand new brew (bottled on 080407-you figger out European dating :roll: ) for this review and I am far from disappointed. This is a Belgian brown ale, or a dubbel/dubble/double. There is a mild creamy, foamy pour and the aromas and tastes are those of dark brown sugar, raisins, figs and dates with very little hop presence. It is clean, smooth and crisp and just a bit boozy at 11.3% ABV. This stuff was $15 for the 4 pack of 11.2 ounce bottles and I'd buy it again. I'll have another next week and save 2 for trading/sharing at Brunchgate #1 or #2. :D

And, with that, I respectfully submit...

That sounds divine...and congrats Professor!
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » August 20th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Founders Devil Dancer--A Triple IPA coming in at a whopping 13% ABV. Pours a dark orange/amber color. Pretty substantial malt kick up front with lots of sweet caramel tastes. This is followed by lots and lots of hoppy bitterness. The hops taste of pine but there is a boldness that also reminds me of some red ales. A very potent tasting beer overall. Even though it's been in the 90s up here in MA, I feel my tastes shifting already away from the hops to the maltier beers of the fall/winter..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 3:30 pm

bluebear wrote:Founders Devil Dancer--A Triple IPA coming in at a whopping 13% ABV. Pours a dark orange/amber color. Pretty substantial malt kick up front with lots of sweet caramel tastes. This is followed by lots and lots of hoppy bitterness. The hops taste of pine but there is a boldness that also reminds me of some red ales. A very potent tasting beer overall. Even though it's been in the 90s up here in MA, I feel my tastes shifting already away from the hops to the maltier beers of the fall/winter..
I hear ya on the shift. Love the name of that brew, btw.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:09 pm

bluebear wrote:Founders Devil Dancer--A Triple IPA coming in at a whopping 13% ABV. Pours a dark orange/amber color. Pretty substantial malt kick up front with lots of sweet caramel tastes. This is followed by lots and lots of hoppy bitterness. The hops taste of pine but there is a boldness that also reminds me of some red ales. A very potent tasting beer overall. Even though it's been in the 90s up here in MA, I feel my tastes shifting already away from the hops to the maltier beers of the fall/winter..
Sounds wonderful. I'll have to see if Total Wine starts to carry it as they already have 3-4 Founder's choices.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 20th, 2009, 6:37 pm

devildeac wrote:
Sounds wonderful. I'll have to see if Total Wine starts to carry it as they already have 3-4 Founder's choices.
Have you had Curmudgeon?..Great old ale..I snagged a six pack of dirty bastard (tough to find around here despite lots of Founders beers) about a week ago..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 20th, 2009, 6:39 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I hear ya on the shift. Love the name of that brew, btw.
I was in a store today that had DFH Punkin and I was very very tempted but I need to hold off on those beers until at least labor day..summer is too short to start thinking fall..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 8:21 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Have you had Curmudgeon?..Great old ale..I snagged a six pack of dirty bastard (tough to find around here despite lots of Founders beers) about a week ago..
IIRC, I had one several years ago but will look for it again this year. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 21st, 2009, 3:27 pm

I hit the Total Wine in Durham today on my way up to Virginia, and loaded up on lots of good beers. It's been so long since I had a good selection to choose from. I made a mixed sixer, and bought a 6 of Sweet Water 420 (Drinking it now, loving it), a 4 pack of Ommegang Hennepin (new to me) and a 4 pack of Palo Santo Marron, also new to me. Hopefully I'll be posting some reviews this evening.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 21st, 2009, 3:50 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I hit the Total Wine in Durham today on my way up to Virginia, and loaded up on lots of good beers. It's been so long since I had a good selection to choose from. I made a mixed sixer, and bought a 6 of Sweet Water 420 (Drinking it now, loving it), a 4 pack of Ommegang Hennepin (new to me) and a 4 pack of Palo Santo Marron, also new to me. Hopefully I'll be posting some reviews this evening.
PSM is the #1 seed in the East Bracket.

Remember the field of 65, devildeac?
:!! :-h
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 4:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I hit the Total Wine in Durham today on my way up to Virginia, and loaded up on lots of good beers. It's been so long since I had a good selection to choose from. I made a mixed sixer, and bought a 6 of Sweet Water 420 (Drinking it now, loving it), a 4 pack of Ommegang Hennepin (new to me) and a 4 pack of Palo Santo Marron, also new to me. Hopefully I'll be posting some reviews this evening.
I forget what the 420 is. IPA? You should love the Hennepin and the PSM is outrageously good. Drink 2 this month or next and cellar the other 2 for 6-12 months. I did that with a 4 pack from this winter and loved the last 2 that I drank last week. Mmmm, time for a review of "aged" PSM...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 4:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:
PSM is the #1 seed in the East Bracket.

Remember the field of 65, devildeac?
:!! :-h
Yep. Too much work to try and figger out/re-arrange all the seedings and then have a tourney. Plus, it's over on DBR and I don't feel like searching for it. Hmm, maybe this winter on CT...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 21st, 2009, 4:55 pm

devildeac wrote:I forget what the 420 is. IPA?
It's just a pale ale. I frequently forget what a damn good beer it is, simply because it's basically ubiquitous in Atlanta and environs.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm

devildeac wrote:
I forget what the 420 is. IPA? You should love the Hennepin and the PSM is outrageously good. Drink 2 this month or next and cellar the other 2 for 6-12 months. I did that with a 4 pack from this winter and loved the last 2 that I drank last week. Mmmm, time for a review of "aged" PSM...
The 420 is the Extra Pale Ale. You know I do horribly with cellaring, but at least I get to hit TW again on my way back home. I'm anxious to try my sampler six too, I'm not sure what I selected, but I don't think any of them were ones I've had before.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 21st, 2009, 5:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
It's an extra pale ale.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2009, 5:08 pm

Miles wrote:
devildeac wrote:
It's an extra pale ale.
Sounds like you need to review it and refresh my memory... :oops: ;)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 21st, 2009, 6:09 pm

devildeac wrote:
I forget what the 420 is.
Heh, heh. I know what the 420 is. And it doesn't belong in a Ymmm Beer thread.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith