Male Cheerleaders

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

What do you think of male cheerleaders?

I like them; they're just another thread in the rich fabric of collegiate athletic pageantry.
47%
I think they're an abomination; get thee to the football field, wuss!
26%
I am ambivalent with regard to male cheerleaders.
26%

Total votes: 19
wilson
PWing School Professor

Male Cheerleaders

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 1:11 pm

What do you think of male cheerleaders? They make me want to point & laugh and/or barf.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Male Cheerleaders

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 1:36 pm

A number of years ago, Butler played in the NCAA opening round in KC. My favorite part of the game was one male cheerleader in particular. He had obviously gone back to college later in life but was getting every enjoyment he could out of it. He was one of the cheerleaders - although he didn't do any of the lifts. He was probably twice the age of the other cheerleaders. I thought it was great that he was enjoying college so much - wish I could have met him and learned his story.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 1:37 pm

And I voted yes - but then half my high school went to Texas A&M where the yell leaders were all guys. At the time, the marching band was all male as they were part of the Corp. And you didn't go to the football games without a date. I wouldn't have lasted long there.
Life is good!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 20th, 2009, 1:58 pm

I've always thought that a couple of male cheerleaders in Cameron would be great....not for doing lifts or corny stuff, but for relating to the Crazies, helping with getting chants started, adding to the fun and silliness. There used to be a male cheerleader at Wake who could REALLY dance. The crowd would go wild when he took off on his own.

Our cheerleaders have their own set routines that never change. They don't actually lead cheers. A couple of guys in there who could freelance would be lots of fun and could help keep the Crazies on point and in line as well. I'd love to have one "wild and crazy guy" on the floor to relate to all of them in the stands.

The Devil has gotten somewhat closer to being that since he hasn't had to wag that big ol' head around, but still a couple of guys with real faces could be really different and really great.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 20th, 2009, 2:38 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I've always thought that a couple of male cheerleaders in Cameron would be great....not for doing lifts or corny stuff, but for relating to the Crazies, helping with getting chants started, adding to the fun and silliness. There used to be a male cheerleader at Wake who could REALLY dance. The crowd would go wild when he took off on his own.

Our cheerleaders have their own set routines that never change. They don't actually lead cheers. A couple of guys in there who could freelance would be lots of fun and could help keep the Crazies on point and in line as well. I'd love to have one "wild and crazy guy" on the floor to relate to all of them in the stands.

The Devil has gotten somewhat closer to being that since he hasn't had to wag that big ol' head around, but still a couple of guys with real faces could be really different and really great.

Love, Ima
There was a time when there were male cheerleaders in Cameron and they did, in fact, lead cheers. I'm so glad you mentioned the point about the routines not changing and not leading cheers. I miss that! It's a great part of the game experience!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 2:40 pm

The females can do cooler stuff (albeit more dangerous) with males to assist.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 20th, 2009, 3:34 pm

I liked them a lot.

I actually went out with one of the guy cheerleaders for a while. You wouldn't believe how incredibly strong he was from doing all of the lifts/stunts and spotting. His cheerleading/stunt partner was Wendy Johnson, now known as Mrs. Jay Bilas.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 20th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I've always thought that a couple of male cheerleaders in Cameron would be great....not for doing lifts or corny stuff, but for relating to the Crazies, helping with getting chants started, adding to the fun and silliness. There used to be a male cheerleader at Wake who could REALLY dance. The crowd would go wild when he took off on his own.

Love, Ima
Aw, heck, there are any number of male cheerleaders in Cameron. They just don't wear uniforms, and they sit in the stands. Many of them post over on DBR. Certain guys in gorilla suits and viking hats come to mind. Maybe there aren't enough of these great "cheerleaders" in Cameron anymore, and maybe that's part of the problem. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 20th, 2009, 4:01 pm

bjornolf wrote:Aw, heck, there are any number of male cheerleaders in Cameron. They just don't wear uniforms, and they sit in the stands. Many of them post over on DBR. Certain guys in gorilla suits and viking hats come to mind. Maybe there aren't enough of these great "cheerleaders" in Cameron anymore, and maybe that's part of the problem. ;)

%%-

You forgot my favorite...SPEEDO GUY
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 20th, 2009, 4:05 pm

windsor wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Aw, heck, there are any number of male cheerleaders in Cameron. They just don't wear uniforms, and they sit in the stands. Many of them post over on DBR. Certain guys in gorilla suits and viking hats come to mind. Maybe there aren't enough of these great "cheerleaders" in Cameron anymore, and maybe that's part of the problem. ;)

%%-

You forgot my favorite...SPEEDO GUY
I thought of him, but I didn't think he really counted. I think you need to be more than a one trick pony to gain that title. However, it was one HELL of a trick. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 20th, 2009, 4:19 pm

windsor wrote:[You forgot my favorite...SPEEDO GUY
Did someone mention Speedo Guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpHB6W_r9ag
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2009, 5:29 pm

I chose option 1 but I certainly like the young ladies better. But don't ogle/stare/desire/dream/or dwell on them in any colchar-esque manner. (must remember windsor's daughter's thread...) :oops: :roll: :)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 20th, 2009, 7:18 pm

bjornolf wrote: Aw, heck, there are any number of male cheerleaders in Cameron. They just don't wear uniforms, and they sit in the stands. Many of them post over on DBR. Certain guys in gorilla suits and viking hats come to mind. Maybe there aren't enough of these great "cheerleaders" in Cameron anymore, and maybe that's part of the problem. ;)

%%-
You call?
Attachments
GorillOzDevil.JPG
GorillOz!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 20th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I know one of the male cheeleaders from the attempted resurgence of male cheering in the late nineties. He's a very nice guy. So I'd have to say I like them just fine as people. Not sure how I think of them doing cheers.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 20th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Go Spartans!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » August 20th, 2009, 11:19 pm

They've found the ultimate loophole. I can't fault them for that.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 20th, 2009, 11:58 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Go Spartans!!
I love it when they cheer on the chess team!
Life is good!
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » August 21st, 2009, 6:36 am

wilson wrote:What do you think of male cheerleaders? They make me want to point & laugh and/or barf.
Wilson, there's a reason we get along. I wholeheartedly agree.

Politically incorrect? Yes. But, sorry...

A good friend of mine in grad school was actually a male (UNC) cheerleader. Great guy, with a hot cheerleader girlfriend. But, it's just wrong.