The Official Anna Paquin Appreciation Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: The Official Anna Paquin Appreciation Thread

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Miles wrote:
colchar wrote:She's Canadian - she was born in Winnipeg. She grew up in New Zealand, but was created here!
Created by parents, well at least a mother, who was from New Zealand. If my parents created me, and I were born in China, does that make me Chinese?
By birth yes, you would be Chinese. She was born in Canada and has a Canadian father. She's Canadian as much as she is a Kiwi. I was born in Canada to Scottish parents so I am as much Scottish as I am Canadian.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2009, 7:58 pm

colchar wrote:
Miles wrote:
colchar wrote:She's Canadian - she was born in Winnipeg. She grew up in New Zealand, but was created here!
Created by parents, well at least a mother, who was from New Zealand. If my parents created me, and I were born in China, does that make me Chinese?
By birth yes, you would be Chinese. She was born in Canada and has a Canadian father. She's Canadian as much as she is a Kiwi. I was born in Canada to Scottish parents so I am as much Scottish as I am Canadian.
I'm down for the distinction since her father is Canadian, but I can't agree (yet) that I would be Chinese just because I were born in China. I believe that standpoint over simplifies the concept of nationality. Doesn't cultural heritage have an influence?
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Miles wrote:

I'm down for the distinction since her father is Canadian, but I can't agree (yet) that I would be Chinese just because I were born in China. I believe that standpoint over simplifies the concept of nationality. Doesn't cultural heritage have an influence?

Of course cultural heritage has an influence. But that doesn't change the fact that, by birth, you would be Chinese. Not racially or culturally, but by birth you would be.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Miles

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2009, 10:02 pm

colchar wrote:
Miles wrote: I'm down for the distinction since her father is Canadian, but I can't agree (yet) that I would be Chinese just because I were born in China. I believe that standpoint over simplifies the concept of nationality. Doesn't cultural heritage have an influence?
Of course cultural heritage has an influence. But that doesn't change the fact that, by birth, you would be Chinese. Not racially or culturally, but by birth you would be.
I don't know anyone that would refer to themselves as Chinese in this context. I think that cultural heritage plays a huge role in nationality. I was born in Charleston, SC but I was raised by parents who grew up in Durham. I consider myself a proud North Carolinian. I think this analogy scales up pretty well from the regional perspective to the national perspective.

We're starting to miss the point though. What's most important is that Ms. Paquin is a gifted actress, a classy lady, and one helluva gorgeous woman. I'll toast Canada and New Zealand for their contributions. Cheers!
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Miles wrote: I don't know anyone that would refer to themselves as Chinese in this context. I think that cultural heritage plays a huge role in nationality. I was born in Charleston, SC but I was raised by parents who grew up in Durham. I consider myself a proud North Carolinian. I think this analogy scales up pretty well from the regional perspective to the national perspective.
I agree that culture plays a huge role and this is a debate that has been going on for ages. For example, is Alexander Graham Bell Scottish, Canadian, or American? He was born and raised in Scotland, later moved to Canada, and from there moved to the US. All three countries claim him.

We're starting to miss the point though. What's most important is that Ms. Paquin is a gifted actress, a classy lady, and one helluva gorgeous woman. I'll toast Canada and New Zealand for their contributions. Cheers!
Trust me, the fact that she is hot was never far from my mind - especially as it fed into my (and Earljam's) theory that Canadian women are hot!
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Anna Paquin's ta-tas are fake.

I've had my kid's dentist laser away the fibrous tissue which caused his diastema. The gap closed almost immediately.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Miles

Post by Miles » April 20th, 2009, 1:22 am

CathyCA wrote:Anna Paquin's ta-tas are fake.
How does one come across this knowledge? They certainly didn't appear fake in True Blood. Doesn't matter though, I'm not crushing on her for her ta-tas.
CathyCA wrote:I've had my kid's dentist laser away the fibrous tissue which caused his diastema. The gap closed almost immediately.
Why did you have the diastema closed? When I was in junior high, I was a little self conscious about my smile because my diastema embarrassed me. My dental hygienist talked me out of "repairing" it. I am so glad that I listened.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 20th, 2009, 2:44 am

Trust me, guys don't care.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 20th, 2009, 9:05 am

Miles wrote:
How does one come across this knowledge? They certainly didn't appear fake in True Blood. Doesn't matter though, I'm not crushing on her for her ta-tas.
CathyCA wrote:I've had my kid's dentist laser away the fibrous tissue which caused his diastema. The gap closed almost immediately.
Why did you have the diastema closed? When I was in junior high, I was a little self conscious about my smile because my diastema embarrassed me. My dental hygienist talked me out of "repairing" it. I am so glad that I listened.
I know they're fake because they are too round at the top.

I had the diastema lasered away to make the space close faster when we put on my son's braces. I suppose it was for cosmetic reasons, but he had a tremendous overbite and we needed to get his bite fixed.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith