Hangovers

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Hangovers

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 1:07 pm

I'm hungover. Hangovers suck. They really really suck. And, as Hank Williams Jr. said, "the hangovers hurt more than they used to."

Oh well, I guess self-inflicted wounds deserve no sympathy.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: Hangovers

Post by Shammrog » April 17th, 2009, 1:11 pm

colchar wrote:I'm hungover. Hangovers suck. They really really suck. And, as Hank Williams Jr. said, "the hangovers hurt more than they used to."

Oh well, I guess self-inflicted wounds deserve no sympathy.
I am told that, despite the myth, age does not make you more susceptible. But, just about everyone I know has a huge drop off in hangover resistance at age 25. I am told it is solely because you drink less, realize it or not.

I hate the feeling so much that I almost never drink anymore. Used to all the time. Now, even a couple beers can make me feel at the very least sluggish the next day...

Last time I got really pissed (the British term) was last year. With Earljam. In Chattanooga. Ugly.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Shammrog wrote:I am told it is solely because you drink less, realize it or not.

I drink more. Much more. My tolerance is waaay higher now than it was when I was younger (if you folks could see me pour myself a rye you'd shit - even my roommate, who has seen it a thousand times, is still sometimes shocked and will not let me pour them for him unless he's on a real bender). The number of empty rye bottles in our house is embarrassing - and my roommate hasn't touched any lately. Plus, as I mentioned in another thread, I am a marathoner as opposed to a sprinter which only serves to make the hangovers that much more nasty.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 17th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I agree that 25-26 is the cutoff and I'm just beyond that point. Thus, I still drink like an early twentysomething from time to time, which generally doesn't end well. Any more than two beers and I'm parched the morning after, nursing a bad headache.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 1:20 pm

The worst part is that I worked at the bar last night and we had people over after work so my drinking didn't start until about 3am. I only stopped because I have to work again tonight, have exams to grade, and have to prepare for a meeting with my committee on Tuesday (and that isn't going to end well). Had I not had all of that other stuff on my plate I'd probably still be going. My roommate was shocked to find out I'd gone to bed by 8am - he expected me to still be up when he crawled out of bed. But alas, I decided to be responsible rather than getting absolutely shitty and then having to attempt to pull my life back together today. Instead I've just got a nasty headache and an overall feeling of crappiness.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 1:22 pm

Shammrog wrote: Last time I got really pissed (the British term) was last year. With Earljam. In Chattanooga. Ugly.

I couldn't make it into Toronto when EJ was here last year (or the year before) which really sucked. I would've loved to have gotten wasted with him - I think he'd be a real hoot to drink with.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » April 17th, 2009, 1:24 pm

colchar wrote:
Shammrog wrote: Last time I got really pissed (the British term) was last year. With Earljam. In Chattanooga. Ugly.

I couldn't make it into Toronto when EJ was here last year (or the year before) which really sucked. I would've loved to have gotten wasted with him - I think he'd be a real hoot to drink with.
I will have to find the DBR recap he posted. It was not pretty. But, a shitload of fun.

Have you tried switching away from rye to one of the clear liquors?

Also - one of the worst hangovers - Scotch. And, I can't stand the shit anyway.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2009, 1:31 pm

I hate em too, but they're a necessary evil. One of the big problems here is that all of my friends are night owls. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting around a poker table at 4:30 AM and said: "Okay guys, last hand I gotta go to work in two hours."
sMiles
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » April 17th, 2009, 1:33 pm

I would be ok but for the next day sleepiness. But yet often can't nap even if I want to...

Any known cures that work for that, or for any aspect of hangovers? Hydration, Advil, etc. don't help with the next day fatigue/mental haze...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Shammrog wrote:
I will have to find the DBR recap he posted. It was not pretty. But, a shitload of fun.
Please do. I think I remember it but would love to read it again.
I used to drink vodka but switched to rye about eight years ago. I don't think drinking a clear liquor would help - this is more of a quantity issue!

I'm Scottish and can't even stand the shit. Funny though, I am the Scottish son and hate Scotch but my brother, the Canadian son, is a connoisseur.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Shammrog wrote:
Any known cures that work for that, or for any aspect of hangovers? Hydration, Advil, etc. don't help with the next day fatigue/mental haze...

There is a Scottish pop called Irn Bru that is a hangover sure (figures). If you get the stuff made in North America it doesn't work but if you can get your hands on imported stuff it works great. It has very high levels of caffeine and quinine and those are what help the hangovers. Unfortunately, I don't have any right now.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » April 17th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Here is the original summary by Earljam. Perhaps we can fill in the blanks...

A quick summary:

-Where's my wallet?
-Shot off the highway
-Class of '68?
-Saliva and elevators
-Pickle's Pub
-Bad deals
-June Bug, the wheelchair stalker
-The one-armed bandit (a.k.a., Lefty, no wait.....Righty)
-A baseball game? Can't really remember.
-Radar guns and baseballs
-Billards, more shots
-Steal the pizza, eat the pizza
-Shake the lamp post, break the lamp post (EarlJam don't do Orbs)
-Pleasent conversation with the outstanding members of Chattanooga Law Enforcement
-"We come from the North."
-Walk, walk, walk
-Sleep
-Semi-Pro
-Barking Dog
-Billards, Beers
-Darts, Beers
-"Don't make me take those sharp objects from you. 'bad word, bad word,' it's like talking to kids."
-Jam has sick reach, Shamm has mad hops
-Bad food
-Good sleep
-Aretha Frankenstein's fly by
-Sugar's Ribs fly by
-Cracker Barrel feast

And lastly...............

Home.

Whew.

-EJ
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Shammrog wrote:Here is the original summary by Earljam. Perhaps we can fill in the blanks...

A quick summary:

-Where's my wallet?
-Shot off the highway
-Class of '68?
-Saliva and elevators
-Pickle's Pub
-Bad deals
-June Bug, the wheelchair stalker
-The one-armed bandit (a.k.a., Lefty, no wait.....Righty)
-A baseball game? Can't really remember.
-Radar guns and baseballs
-Billards, more shots
-Steal the pizza, eat the pizza
-Shake the lamp post, break the lamp post (EarlJam don't do Orbs)
-Pleasent conversation with the outstanding members of Chattanooga Law Enforcement
-"We come from the North."
-Walk, walk, walk
-Sleep
-Semi-Pro
-Barking Dog
-Billards, Beers
-Darts, Beers
-"Don't make me take those sharp objects from you. 'bad word, bad word,' it's like talking to kids."
-Jam has sick reach, Shamm has mad hops
-Bad food
-Good sleep
-Aretha Frankenstein's fly by
-Sugar's Ribs fly by
-Cracker Barrel feast

And lastly...............

Home.

Whew.

-EJ

Classic!
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Miles

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Shammrog wrote:I would be ok but for the next day sleepiness. But yet often can't nap even if I want to...

Not a cure exactly, but I found that when I was in Germany at a trade show, I could drink all night long, then wake up with barely the semblance of a hangover. Really the worst feeling I had was just being tired from lack of sleep. I attribute this to the Reinheitsgebot. No preservatives, additives or other superfluous ingredients makes for a pleasant hangover.

I also make sure that I mix in a few glasses of water throughout the night. Hyrdration is key.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » April 17th, 2009, 2:17 pm

colchar wrote:There is a Scottish pop called Irn Bru that is a hangover sure (figures). If you get the stuff made in North America it doesn't work but if you can get your hands on imported stuff it works great. It has very high levels of caffeine and quinine and those are what help the hangovers. Unfortunately, I don't have any right now.
I remember talking about this on TBTSNBN. Irn Bru also had the BEST commercials!
sMiles
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » April 17th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Miles wrote:
Shammrog wrote:I would be ok but for the next day sleepiness. But yet often can't nap even if I want to...

Not a cure exactly, but I found that when I was in Germany at a trade show, I could drink all night long, then wake up with barely the semblance of a hangover. Really the worst feeling I had was just being tired from lack of sleep. I attribute this to the Reinheitsgebot. No preservatives, additives or other superfluous ingredients makes for a pleasant hangover.

I also make sure that I mix in a few glasses of water throughout the night. Hyrdration is key.
What is Reinheitsgebot? Can you get it in the U.S.?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Shammrog wrote:
colchar wrote:

As a fan of single malt Scotch one of the reasons I drink it is that I do NOT get hangovers. Different people, different reactions I guess.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » April 17th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Hmmm. Is most Scotch single-malt? And, what is the difference?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Shammrog wrote:Hmmm. Is most Scotch single-malt? And, what is the difference?

single malt is from a single distillery - all scotch starts life as single malt. Blendeds are made from the product of different distilleries. Scotch's flavor is impacted by the type of water, the casks,and the strain of barley to name a few - each distilleries product can have a very different flavor. Blended is more common than single malts.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 17th, 2009, 2:46 pm

windsor wrote:
Shammrog wrote:Hmmm. Is most Scotch single-malt? And, what is the difference?

single malt is from a single distillery - all scotch starts life as single malt. Blendeds are made from the product of different distilleries. Scotch's flavor is impacted by the type of water, the casks,and the strain of barley to name a few - each distilleries product can have a very different flavor. Blended is more common than single malts.

Blends don't come from different distilleries - they are usually from the same distillery but are just blends of different batches of single malt (usually with some additives).
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------