Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » February 7th, 2023, 11:03 am

Phredd3 wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 8:10 am
OPK wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 8:00 am
Koch brothers decide it’s time for anyone but Trump in the R primary:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/05/politics ... index.html

If Trump has trouble lining up donors he’s in trouble — or at least that’s a pretty bad sign.
He'll drop out quickly if he can't get donors. The one thing Trump won't do is spend his own money on a campaign.
The Club For Growth is also having a get-together with R candidates and potential financial backers — but did not invite Trump:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/us/p ... antis.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 7th, 2023, 12:29 pm

The House "Ethics" Committee is beginning an "investigation" of George Anthony Devolder Kitara Ravache Santos.

This should be laughable.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 7th, 2023, 1:21 pm

OPK wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 11:03 am
Phredd3 wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 8:10 am
OPK wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 8:00 am
Koch brothers decide it’s time for anyone but Trump in the R primary:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/05/politics ... index.html

If Trump has trouble lining up donors he’s in trouble — or at least that’s a pretty bad sign.
He'll drop out quickly if he can't get donors. The one thing Trump won't do is spend his own money on a campaign.
The Club For Growth is also having a get-together with R candidates and potential financial backers — but did not invite Trump:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/us/p ... antis.html
Club for Growth sounds like a product to help with hair loss and/or erectile disfunction, which sounds right up Trump's alley.

I likely won't watch it live but I'm eager to hear how aggressive Biden is tonight. Though no matter what he says, there is a certain percentage of the country that will hate every word of it (and, to be fair, a percentage that will feel the opposite way).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 7th, 2023, 2:54 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 1:21 pm

I likely won't watch it live but I'm eager to hear how aggressive Biden is tonight. Though no matter what he says, there is a certain percentage of the country that will hate every word of it (and, to be fair, a percentage that will feel the opposite way).
Can't remember where I saw it, but there was an article out this week with a poll (yay, a poll!) determining that a majority of Dems really don't want him running again. However, if he doesn't run, he's still going to be an important part of the campaign, so him taking an aggressive stance is needed in the coming months.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 8th, 2023, 11:42 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 1:21 pm
I only watched a little, starting halfway through. The lack of decorum from the GOP Look-At-Me crowd had me turning it off fairly quickly, but from the bit I saw, and from reading this morning, I think it's fair to say that Joe came out swinging and stayed at bat for the whole speech.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » February 8th, 2023, 12:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
February 8th, 2023, 11:42 am
I only watched a little, starting halfway through. The lack of decorum from the GOP Look-At-Me crowd had me turning it off fairly quickly, but from the bit I saw, and from reading this morning, I think it's fair to say that Joe came out swinging and stayed at bat for the whole speech.
I was at rehearsal all night and came just in time to completely miss the speech. I did see some of the recap, though, and I have to say, "I'll see you at the ground-breaking" was absolute brilliance. There was an intake of breath in the chamber when he said that. It was spectacular.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 14th, 2023, 2:21 pm

Nikki Haley becomes the second major GOP candidate to officially announce.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » February 14th, 2023, 2:28 pm

February 14th, 2023, 2:21 pm
That announcement video was straight cringe.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 14th, 2023, 3:08 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
February 14th, 2023, 2:28 pm
Debate season will be a joy.

In another "least shocking" announcement, Diane Feinstein says she is not seeking re-election. That seat is going to be one of the most watched races in the country, with everyone in California trying to lay claim to it.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 14th, 2023, 4:35 pm

February 14th, 2023, 3:08 pm
Phredd3 wrote:
Debate season will be a joy.

In another "least shocking" announcement, Diane Feinstein says she is not seeking re-election. That seat is going to be one of the most watched races in the country, with everyone in California trying to lay claim to it.
Haley should have made her announcement at Waffle House for the amount she changes who she is.

It really is too bad that the Republicans (as well as the Democrats) are not smart or organized enough to switch their primaries to ranked choice. Especially early on when there are potentially lots of candidates, it could make a big difference. Or else split delegates by percentage of votes rather than winner takes all.

Hasn't Schiff already declared for Feinstein's seat? I think it just happened so it was assumed that he had spoken to her and had it blessed. For some reason I am on his list so constantly get e-mails from him.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 14th, 2023, 6:27 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 14th, 2023, 4:35 pm
Haley should have made her announcement at Waffle House for the amount she changes who she is.

It really is too bad that the Republicans (as well as the Democrats) are not smart or organized enough to switch their primaries to ranked choice. Especially early on when there are potentially lots of candidates, it could make a big difference. Or else split delegates by percentage of votes rather than winner takes all.

Hasn't Schiff already declared for Feinstein's seat? I think it just happened so it was assumed that he had spoken to her and had it blessed. For some reason I am on his list so constantly get e-mails from him.
And Katie Porter. Those are the two big D names that jumped in before her announcement. I don't know if either went to her, but I'm assuming at 90, the writing was on the wall.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » February 14th, 2023, 7:37 pm

February 14th, 2023, 6:27 pm
I'm assuming at 90, the writing was on the wall.
Her slippage has apparently been showing for a while now.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 14th, 2023, 10:53 pm

OPK wrote:
February 14th, 2023, 7:37 pm
I'm assuming at 90, the writing was on the wall.
Her slippage has apparently been showing for a while now.
I hate to be morbid, but if something happens to her before November 2024, I assume Newsom gets to appoint an interim Senator, which could really influence who wins in the election.

Speaking of which, I hope everything is OK with Fetterman and he is able to keep going. I'm not president of his fan club but I generally like him and was very glad he beat Oz. Fortunately, PA also has a Dem Governor (who has been mentioned as a possible Presidential candidate if Biden doesn't run, though that seems like a stretch at this point).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 15th, 2023, 12:23 am

Phredd3 wrote:
Literal quote
"I don't put up with bullies"

My added quote
"I just work for and praise them"
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » February 15th, 2023, 10:38 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 14th, 2023, 4:35 pm

And Katie Porter. Those are the two big D names that jumped in before her announcement. I don't know if either went to her, but I'm assuming at 90, the writing was on the wall.
I don't know if either have spoken to Feinstein, but I do know that Pelosi has endorsed Schiff. I really like both Schiff and Porter.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 16th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Imagine having to hide behind a police barricade because you don't want to face your own constituents calling for your resignation.
That's exactly the state of affairs that George Devolder Rivache Santos is in right now.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep-george-s ... 50783.html

How are you supposed to represent your people if you can't even meet them?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 27th, 2023, 11:13 am

Bestselling self-help author Marianne Williamson, who brought quirky spiritualism to the 2020 presidential race, has announced she's running for president again
Of course she is. =))
Her primary challenge of a sitting president from her own party would be the longest of long shots under any circumstances. But that’s especially true this cycle, as the Democratic establishment — and even potential presidential hopefuls who could have competed with Biden from the left or middle — has closed ranks with remarkable uniformity behind the president.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/williamson-b ... 20137.html
OPK

Post by OPK » February 27th, 2023, 2:34 pm

February 27th, 2023, 11:13 am
Bestselling self-help author Marianne Williamson, who brought quirky spiritualism to the 2020 presidential race, has announced she's running for president again
Of course she is. =))
Her primary challenge of a sitting president from her own party would be the longest of long shots under any circumstances. But that’s especially true this cycle, as the Democratic establishment — and even potential presidential hopefuls who could have competed with Biden from the left or middle — has closed ranks with remarkable uniformity behind the president.
Tulsi Gabbard missed her chance.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm

OPK wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 2:34 pm
February 27th, 2023, 11:13 am
Of course she is. =))
Tulsi Gabbard missed her chance.
Waiting for Scott Adams to declare...

Interesting OP/ED I think in NYT today about how the Dems should basically have a primary to nominate a VP so that it is someone that they can truly rally around. I have very mixed feelings about this and it obviously won't happen but it is an interesting idea. The party is becoming increasingly fragmented.
OPK

Post by OPK » February 27th, 2023, 7:14 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 5:39 pm

Waiting for Scott Adams to declare...
A Ye/Adams ticket would be lit.