Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by Phredd3 » November 10th, 2022, 4:50 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
November 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm
My question is now, which comes first. Trump's indictment or his candidacy announcement?
His announcement. He had already scheduled a "big announcement" for November 15th, and I think he's super anxious to get back into the news. I think that's his declaration. Meanwhile, Garland is likely to respect the Justice Department's rule about elections and treat an indictment as off-limits before the Georgia runoff is held.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » November 11th, 2022, 12:56 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
November 10th, 2022, 4:50 pm
My question is now, which comes first. Trump's indictment or his candidacy announcement?
His announcement. He had already scheduled a "big announcement" for November 15th, and I think he's super anxious to get back into the news. I think that's his declaration. Meanwhile, Garland is likely to respect the Justice Department's rule about elections and treat an indictment as off-limits before the Georgia runoff is held.
He is in the news again....Not news that he would like of course…
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 11th, 2022, 5:07 pm

Furniture wrote:
November 11th, 2022, 12:56 pm
Phredd3 wrote:
For reasons I don't understand I truly think that he believes that all attention is good attention. Psychiatrists will be studying him for years as he is the manifestation of so many mental health disorders all at once. Yet tens of millions of Americans are not bothered by this at all.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » November 12th, 2022, 6:30 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 11th, 2022, 5:07 pm
Furniture wrote:
November 11th, 2022, 12:56 pm
Phredd3 wrote:

For reasons I don't understand I truly think that he believes that all attention is good attention. Psychiatrists will be studying him for years as he is the manifestation of so many mental health disorders all at once. Yet tens of millions of Americans are not bothered by this at all.
At the moment I think he is in change the narrative mode to take the spotlight off the red wedding he has caused.
Never tRumpers are “hand me the popcorn”.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » November 14th, 2022, 5:34 pm

Quote of the day…

Herschel Walker (R): "If we was ready for the green agenda, I'd raise my hand right now. But we're not ready right now ... What we need to do is keep having those gas-guzzling cars, 'cause we got the good emissions under those cars."
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 14th, 2022, 5:41 pm

Furniture wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 5:34 pm
Quote of the day…

Herschel Walker (R): "If we was ready for the green agenda, I'd raise my hand right now. But we're not ready right now ... What we need to do is keep having those gas-guzzling cars, 'cause we got the good emissions under those cars."
It's almost* sad that he won't win, just because he'd be a joyous source of ridicule for the next six years.

*Barely, barely, barely almost.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 14th, 2022, 5:51 pm

November 14th, 2022, 5:41 pm
Furniture wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 5:34 pm
Quote of the day…

It's almost* sad that he won't win, just because he'd be a joyous source of ridicule for the next six years.
I ain't gonna count the chickens. Dems already know that we control the Senate, and I'm not convinced the Republican money is going to stay away from this race. There is a sizeable difference between 50 and 51. Dems need to see this through.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » November 14th, 2022, 6:41 pm

Voting in Georgia for the ru off is very short, and no weekend voting. Lots of college-age kids and working folks may have more difficulty voting.

I think Warnock is favored, but Herschel definitely has more than a fighting chance. {sadly}
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 14th, 2022, 9:44 pm

OPK wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 6:41 pm
Voting in Georgia for the ru off is very short, and no weekend voting. Lots of college-age kids and working folks may have more difficulty voting.

I think Warnock is favored, but Herschel definitely has more than a fighting chance. {sadly}
I saw where voting on the Saturday after Thanksgiving isn't allowed since it's "a holiday". L-)
OPK

Post by OPK » November 14th, 2022, 9:51 pm

November 14th, 2022, 9:44 pm
OPK wrote:

I saw where voting on the Saturday after Thanksgiving isn't allowed since it's "a holiday". L-)
When I started practicing law here, many courts were closed for Confederate Memorial Day but not MLK Day.

A lot has changed in a generation. But there’s still work to be done.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 14th, 2022, 10:43 pm

OPK wrote:

No bowling or voting on Shabbos?

Dems got the AZ governor seat. But it looks like the Republicans will get the house. All it takes is a few of them to grow a pair to stop the House from running a bunch of sham hearings for the next two years. I am really annoyed that because New York's judges decided to have a conscience and kill the gerrymandered districts, the Dems lost the house. Dems continually take a knife to a gun fight.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 14th, 2022, 10:49 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 10:43 pm
Dems got the AZ governor seat. But it looks like the Republicans will get the house. All it takes is a few of them to grow a pair to stop the House from running a bunch of sham hearings for the next two years. I am really annoyed that because New York's judges decided to have a conscience and kill the gerrymandered districts, the Dems lost the house. Dems continually take a knife to a gun fight.
With the very bad MAGA showing, it will be interesting to see how McCarthy handles the likes of MTG and Boebert (assuming she holds on). Their way of doing politics just got shut down on a national level, and nearly cost Boberry her job. (Sigh) If I were McC, I'd tell those folks to stuff it, but my guess is he'll do the opposite and allow them to twist his balls.
OPK

Post by OPK » November 15th, 2022, 7:27 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
OPK wrote:

No bowling or voting on Shabbos?

I don’t roll on Shabbos.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 15th, 2022, 7:33 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
Sorry, but this is a case where if you fight fire with fire, everybody loses. That's the road to autocracy just as surely as the gerrymandering in NC, Texas, etc. The only way to beat gerrymandering is to make it wrong everywhere, all the time, for any reason.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 15th, 2022, 10:06 am

Phredd3 wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 7:33 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
Sorry, but this is a case where if you fight fire with fire, everybody loses. That's the road to autocracy just as surely as the gerrymandering in NC, Texas, etc. The only way to beat gerrymandering is to make it wrong everywhere, all the time, for any reason.
I agree with you most of the time but in this case the stakes were too high. I absolutely hate gerrymandering. I wrote a series of papers on it when I was at Duke in the mid-90s - if I recall NC had a district where the joke was that for a long stretch, the width of the district was the width of a car driving with its doors open. Many of the early uses were actually to create majority-minority districts to try to make sure that there were minority representatives in congress.

The solution to gerrymandering is really easy. Enter the exact address of every registered voter. Do not tag them with any identifying characteristics (gender, race, age, party affiliation). Use fairly simple computing programs to make it as efficient as possible - compact and contiguous. Perhaps tweak around the margins so that, for example, if there are three residents of Queens in a Manhattan-only district, they get moved. But everyone has to be on board with it. And the current supreme court seems to be relatively OK with it, so you play by the rules of the game. Unfortunately, the NY courts felt differently.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 15th, 2022, 11:05 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 10:06 am
And the current supreme court seems to be relatively OK with it, so you play by the rules of the game. Unfortunately, the NY courts felt differently.
If you are talking about SCOTUS, those are the folks that said political gerrymandering of federal voting districts was somehow not a federal issue. Theoretically, they don't care at all how you decide voting districts, as long as the districts have roughly equal population. It doesn't even have to be completely equal. Inexplicable.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 15th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 11:05 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 10:06 am
And the current supreme court seems to be relatively OK with it, so you play by the rules of the game. Unfortunately, the NY courts felt differently.
If you are talking about SCOTUS, those are the folks that said political gerrymandering of federal voting districts was somehow not a federal issue. Theoretically, they don't care at all how you decide voting districts, as long as the districts have roughly equal population. It doesn't even have to be completely equal. Inexplicable.
Agreed - that's what I meant but you put it more clearly. They are not standing in the way of gerrymandering. Republicans are all for state's rights unless the states tell them something they don't want to hear then they come to the Supreme Court hoping for a better answer.

Ken Griffin of Citadel, who now lives in Florida and is a big DeSantis guy, made a comment that the Republicans should move on from a three-time loser like Trump. I'm sure that sat well at Mar-A-Lago.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 17th, 2022, 10:02 am

Lots of articles out about how the GOP controlled House is going to be opening numerous investigations. I get it, but I think it's a recipe for disaster for them. In the next two years (and truly, only a year and a half of those will matter), voters are going to see them pass nothing, yet still be in the news everyday for conducting revenge hearings. Ultimately, that is not going to be a good look, and it won't be a recipe for winning more votes. It's the same attitude the nation saw when Trump was in office, and that doesn't seem to have out worked out too well for the folks in red.
Add to that, most of the investigations are likely to turn up squat. Impeachment attempts will go nowhere, too.
Remember, in Clinton's dealing with a GOP house, he got very little legislation passed, but while impeached, his popularity rose to over 70+%. America doesn't have much stomach for those theatrics.
OPK

Post by OPK » November 17th, 2022, 10:10 am

November 17th, 2022, 10:02 am
Lots of articles out about how the GOP controlled House is going to be opening numerous investigations. I get it, but I think it's a recipe for disaster for them. In the next two years (and truly, only a year and a half of those will matter), voters are going to see them pass nothing, yet still be in the news everyday for conducting revenge hearings. Ultimately, that is not going to be a good look, and it won't be a recipe for winning more votes. It's the same attitude the nation saw when Trump was in office, and that doesn't seem to have out worked out too well for the folks in red.
Add to that, most of the investigations are likely to turn up squat. Impeachment attempts will go nowhere, too.
Remember, in Clinton's dealing with a GOP house, he got very little legislation passed, but while impeached, his popularity rose to over 70+%. America doesn't have much stomach for those theatrics.
I think this is right. In an economic downturn, folks want forward-looking solutions.

Does anyone outside the Fox bubble care about Hunter Biden?
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 17th, 2022, 10:26 am

November 17th, 2022, 10:02 am
I'm still waiting for someone to call these the McCarthy hearings.

If the Dems were smart and could unify for a bit, they would publicly throw out some very middle of the road legislation and force some of the reps from very purple districts to take a stand. I'm not sure if this will sit well with the AOC's of the world but since the margin is so narrow, it will be a great way to say "we are trying to do some work here to help people and all they care about is Hunter."