Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » October 11th, 2022, 8:29 pm

Furniture wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 4:26 pm
So who has got told they are not welcome to post on the DBR mid-term thread? :D :ymparty:

Own up…
I’m guessing it was Wheat.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 11th, 2022, 9:21 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 8:07 pm
Speaking of which, has there been any update on the lawsuit by the voting machine company? I am all for due process but it is agonizing how long these trials take. We really need to hire more judges, though I guess if all of those judges were Trumpers, it wouldn't be good.
From what I've read, even though it's beyond slow, the suits are still progressing. Of course lots of folks filed appeals that they shouldn't have to testify, or that the lawsuits should be dismissed, but for the most part all of those have been shot down. I think at least one of them is finally supposed to go to trial early 2023.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » October 11th, 2022, 9:36 pm

OPK wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 8:29 pm
Furniture wrote:
So who has got told they are not welcome to post on the DBR mid-term thread? :D :ymparty:

Own up…
If it was Wheat he deserved it. He kept chirping on about DeathSantis even after Jason told everyone to knock it off. It was getting as bad as his Boaters for tRump rants. The only reason that it might not be him is that Jason is fairly protective of Wheat for some reason. I am 100% convinced he is a troll with everything he posts there.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 11th, 2022, 10:04 pm

Furniture wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 9:36 pm
OPK wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 8:29 pm
Furniture wrote:

Own up…
If it was Wheat he deserved it. He kept chirping on about DeathSantis even after Jason told everyone to knock it off. It was getting as bad as his Boaters for tRump rants. The only reason that it might not be him is that Jason is fairly protective of Wheat for some reason. I am 100% convinced he is a troll with everything he posts there.
Funny you should say that. I just possibly went a bit overboard attacking him in the Crypto thread. Because he kind of came after me (not sure if it was intentional). I really need to just stop going to that thread.

I am honestly not sure if he means to do this or he is just so ignorant that he does not know what he is saying. I think he is surrounded by likeminded people so doesn't realize there is a big world of folks out there who don't think like him and realize that he doesn't know what he is talking about. I felt bad for Wheat briefly for having to deal with the storm but then he reverted to his usual craziness that you mentioned so I gave up.

Unfortunately, there are tens of millions of Wheat's in this country, and they make up a large percentage of those who have been fooled by Trump.
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » October 12th, 2022, 9:59 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 7:01 pm
I no longer post on DBR. I’ve been censured (and censored) for posting anything against the former president. Interestingly, it appeared at the time that posts supporting said former president were okay.
Haven't gone to zero, but I post waaaay less than I used to specifically because of the infantile way that politics are handled over there. I may go to zero soon. Either ban discussion of it completely, or allow open discussion that still stays within the normal board guidelines of respecting people.

The whole "you can openly state and argue for your own views as long as those views are that you blame both sides" is pathetic. Imagine if that policy was put in place during, say, the segregation era (and, yes, I believe in a few decades the MAGA movement will be viewed approximately similarly to how we look back at segregationalists now) . DBR political discussions are going to look really, really bad if anyone is around to look back at them in 30 years.

By the way, none of the above should be interpreted as "Democrats are just so great". I think they're a somewhat normal political party with a mix of things I agree and disagree with, a mix of effective messaging and really cringe stuff, a decent diversity of viewpoints in primaries, etc.
OPK

Post by OPK » October 12th, 2022, 11:11 am

I think part of the problem is that Trump has just obliterated the boundaries of what is normal or real. Not that political discussion was necessarily civil before, but now there are two separate realities and you can’t find common ground when you don’t agree on basic facts.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 12th, 2022, 11:30 am

OPK wrote:
October 12th, 2022, 11:11 am
I think part of the problem is that Trump has just obliterated the boundaries of what is normal or real. Not that political discussion was necessarily civil before, but now there are two separate realities and you can’t find common ground when you don’t agree on basic facts.
And this is why I stay up at night wondering what the future of this country is. The Republican party largely sold out to him and his imaginary world. Everyone thought that more Republicans would be like Liz Cheney and be the adult in the room and say that the Emperor has no clothes. But they realized that there were tens of millions of Americans who had had a big drink of the Kool-Aid so they did what their constituents demanded and supported Trump.

The group of people that I find the most interesting to observe are the few remaining never-Trump Republicans who are horrified by the party's craziness but on a policy level are a lot closer to what the Republicans are supporting than the Democrats. It seems like they don't want to support MAGA candidates who could lead to the downfall of America as we know it (and/or are just grossly unqualified like Herschel Walker), but they also struggle with the day-to-day policy choices of Democrats. As a moderate Democrat this is where I think my part of the party comes in and says hey, we are not exactly what you want, but we are close enough - come join us. I read Bret Stephens in the Times and he sort of falls into this camp, though he often cannot help himself and falls back on ridiculous Republican talking points.

The far left of the party doesn't want to do this and many don't realize that it is basically a choice between centrist Democrats or MAGA, and centrist Democrats are much, much closer to what they want. Biden was elected to be a centrist and one can argue whether that is where he has actually governed or if he has moved left as president.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » October 12th, 2022, 1:54 pm

Wander wrote:
October 12th, 2022, 9:59 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 7:01 pm
I no longer post on DBR. I’ve been censured (and censored) for posting anything against the former president. Interestingly, it appeared at the time that posts supporting said former president were okay.
Haven't gone to zero, but I post waaaay less than I used to specifically because of the infantile way that politics are handled over there. I may go to zero soon. Either ban discussion of it completely, or allow open discussion that still stays within the normal board guidelines of respecting people.

The whole "you can openly state and argue for your own views as long as those views are that you blame both sides" is pathetic. Imagine if that policy was put in place during, say, the segregation era (and, yes, I believe in a few decades the MAGA movement will be viewed approximately similarly to how we look back at segregationalists now) . DBR political discussions are going to look really, really bad if anyone is around to look back at them in 30 years.

By the way, none of the above should be interpreted as "Democrats are just so great". I think they're a somewhat normal political party with a mix of things I agree and disagree with, a mix of effective messaging and really cringe stuff, a decent diversity of viewpoints in primaries, etc.
I don’t post much on DBR anymore and I really blame one person, it’s that post o maniac guy. He decides everything, he knows everything and I mean everything and if you don’t agree you are stupid. So opinionated it makes me nauseous. Then there is all the people that such up to him. :ymsick: His attitude has basically demotivated me from posting much. Plus he defends Wheat.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 21st, 2022, 9:09 am

Well, here's an interesting article that says most Americans feel their political team is losing. Roughly 66% of Democrats and a whopping 81% of Republicans feel that their team is losing more often than they win. Personally, I think a lot of this is simply due to the rancor in politics and the tendency in the media to build outrage in order to generate views. It is also human nature to look for things to "fix", so we tend to dwell on the things that are going wrong, and when we get something fixed, we tend to immediately start looking towards a new problem.

But three out of four strikes me as a lot of discontent in a country that's as well off as any on the globe.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2022, 10:52 am

The tax fraud trial against the Trump Org is showing just how hard it will be to try Trump if he faces any legal charges. It's not about proving the case, it's about even sitting a jury. Finding 12 people that aren't biased one way or the other is showing to be quite the challenge. Literally dozens have been excused as each has announced that they could not impartially determine a decision, and this is just for a civil suit!
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 26th, 2022, 9:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 26th, 2022, 10:52 am
The tax fraud trial against the Trump Org is showing just how hard it will be to try Trump if he faces any legal charges. It's not about proving the case, it's about even sitting a jury. Finding 12 people that aren't biased one way or the other is showing to be quite the challenge. Literally dozens have been excused as each has announced that they could not impartially determine a decision, and this is just for a civil suit!
At this point, anyone who does not have an opinion does not have a pulse. I guess some people are better than I am and can rise above their previously held opinion to give him a fair trial. I think the perspective on all of this would be different if he was in jail awaiting trial (I know that's not how it works for this kind of situation, but I wish it did!). These trials are really taking forever. I wonder what Trump's total legal bills per year total.

A few weeks ago I had jury duty in NYC. I was part of a large group called for an alleged hate crime attack. I had to sit through two days of them questioning potential jurors but did not even get called as part of one of the three panels of 20. But it was fascinating to hear the discussions. A bunch of people said they couldn't be impartial. The judge was more tolerant of some of the excuses than others. Some people had personal experiences with hate crimes, though some were a lot more severe than others. It got out what ethnic group the victim was so a lot of people in that group said they couldn't be impartial. Some people said they had really bad experiences with the police so couldn't believe their testimony, while one or two said they were very close to police so would believe police no matter what.
Lotusland
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Lotusland » October 30th, 2022, 7:42 pm

I’ve been fielding conspiracy texts from MAGA friends in our text thread all weekend about the Pelosi attack. I won’t bother to share if y’all haven’t heard them but Elon Musk tweeted one today and it actually made me temporarily doubt my instincts until he deleted his tweet without comment. Not a promising start for his reign over the twitterverse.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 3rd, 2022, 7:21 am

Guessing that Kash and Donald will no longer be best buds. And that Kash will be sleeping with one eye open for a while.
Former Trump aide Kash Patel is set to testify before a federal grand jury about the classified documents recovered from former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home after being granted immunity for any information, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Patel — who has claimed that Trump had declassified the documents found at Mar-a-Lago — previously refused to provide information to the grand jury, instead invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
The DOJ doesn't give immunity lightly, so that's a pretty big move on their part. I'm guessing an indictment will be coming sooner than later after Election Day.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-trump ... 12556.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2022, 6:55 am

Today seems to be a surprisingly good day.

And if you are Lauren Boebert, it's definitely not. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2022, 9:46 am

Former President Donald Trump "is livid” and “screaming at everyone” after last night’s disappointing GOP results in the midterms, a Trump adviser who has been in contact with Trump’s inner circle tells CNN.
This adviser said it’s unlikely Trump would delay his expected presidential announcement because “it’s too humiliating to delay.” But the adviser said there are too many unknowns at this point.
Last night was bad for those candidates, but even worse for Trump. With DeSantis' very strong showing, Trump should be way worried about his hopes for 2024. The writing is on the wall that he's not the winner that he thinks he is.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... ebb7a323b3
OPK

Post by OPK » November 9th, 2022, 12:21 pm

November 9th, 2022, 9:46 am
Former President Donald Trump "is livid” and “screaming at everyone” after last night’s disappointing GOP results in the midterms, a Trump adviser who has been in contact with Trump’s inner circle tells CNN.
This adviser said it’s unlikely Trump would delay his expected presidential announcement because “it’s too humiliating to delay.” But the adviser said there are too many unknowns at this point.
Last night was bad for those candidates, but even worse for Trump. With DeSantis' very strong showing, Trump should be way worried about his hopes for 2024. The writing is on the wall that he's not the winner that he thinks he is.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... ebb7a323b3
“Light fuse . . . get away”
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm

My question is now, which comes first. Trump's indictment or his candidacy announcement?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2022, 12:48 pm

Poor lil' feller.
"This is a sinking ship," one top Trump adviser told ABC News. "We're not going to beat that."

"This was the end of the Trump era and the dawn of the DeSantis era," a Republican operative close to the Trump orbit told ABC News. "Like every other Trump catastrophe, he did this to himself with stupid and reckless decisions."
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-left-fu ... 29936.html

:violin: :violin: :violin:
OPK

Post by OPK » November 10th, 2022, 2:36 pm

November 10th, 2022, 12:48 pm
Poor lil' feller.
"This is a sinking ship," one top Trump adviser told ABC News. "We're not going to beat that."

"This was the end of the Trump era and the dawn of the DeSantis era," a Republican operative close to the Trump orbit told ABC News. "Like every other Trump catastrophe, he did this to himself with stupid and reckless decisions."

He may be mortally wounded, but he’s gonna fight dirty and viciously until they haul him away.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 10th, 2022, 3:06 pm

OPK wrote:
November 10th, 2022, 2:36 pm
November 10th, 2022, 12:48 pm
Poor lil' feller.

He may be mortally wounded, but he’s gonna fight dirty and viciously until they haul him away.
Oh I totally agree. As long as he is a candidate (and even after), the GOP race is going to be fun to watch. :violence-duel: :violence-instagib: :violence-stickwhack: