The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 13th, 2022, 6:25 pm

Lindsey Graham really screwed the pooch today on abortion. He proposed a 15 week ceiling on abortions. So if a state has something more restrictive, it can stand, but no state can go over that. I believe it has some exceptions for rape and incest built in.

I initially read this as him saying that all states should have 15 weeks. I think that is a bit on the quick side, but as a starting offer for a negotiation, I think it is something a lot of America could work with if you kept in exceptions for saving the mother's life, still born children, etc. And many of the headlines I have read make you think that that is what he meant. But it is not.

Contrary to what Fox News says, a lot of pro-choice people are not in favor of women deciding that they do not feel like having a baby at 38 weeks and having an abortion when there are no complicating factors - they just think that the Republican alternatives of zero weeks or six weeks are way too early. Unfortunately, compromise no longer seems to be an option in America.

The further problem is that a lot of the leading Republicans in the Senate have been saying that it should be left up to the states (which will hopefully help Dems in a lot of statewide races). So he is contradicting his leadership by proposing national legislation.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/1 ... p-00056423
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 14th, 2022, 9:54 am

All of the mid-term races are now set, as the primaries are finally over.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » September 16th, 2022, 12:49 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 13th, 2022, 6:25 pm
Lindsey Graham really screwed the pooch today on abortion. He proposed a 15 week ceiling on abortions. So if a state has something more restrictive, it can stand, but no state can go over that.
Even Fox News gave him a tough time on it..
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
Thespie
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Thespie » September 18th, 2022, 2:28 pm

I apologize for this drive-by posting and non-sequitur but I need a cathartic release from the day's news. To say that Ron DeSantis is engaging in "ethnic cleansing" is probably over the top (not probably it is over the top). But there are similarities in what DeSantis is doing to the crimes perpetrated by Bosnian Serb leaders during the Bosnian War. Radovan Karadzic sits in a British prison for forced displacement and deportation among other crimes against humanity. DeSantis is leading the charge in America's race to an autocratic system.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » September 18th, 2022, 6:16 pm

Thespie wrote:
September 18th, 2022, 2:28 pm
DeSantis is leading the charge in America's race to an autocratic system.
I'd say at the moment he is second in that particular race. But he's coming up hard on the rail.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 18th, 2022, 9:05 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
September 18th, 2022, 6:16 pm
Thespie wrote:
September 18th, 2022, 2:28 pm
DeSantis is leading the charge in America's race to an autocratic system.
I'd say at the moment he is second in that particular race. But he's coming up hard on the rail.
As I think I've said here (or perhaps it was at DBR, though more likely here), I am still trying to figure out how I would feel about a primary between Trump and deSantis. In some ways it would be great seeing them go after each other. In some ways it would be horrifying. It would be really nice if it created an "a-ha" moment for some of MAGA nation about how bad these guys are, but I think most of them are too far gone.

I was in PA for a few weeks this summer so got to see a bit of the campaign advertising, mainly in the Fetterman-Oz race. Most of Oz's ads were about how you won't be safe if Fetterman wins as he will let all the bad guys out. We usually don't get a lot of that here in NY but our governor's race has gotten pretty nasty. Zeldin has been running similar ads about how dangerous NY has been under Hochul. Hochul is running ads about how Zeldin supported January 6 and rejoiced when Dobbs was announced. I really hope he has no chance in blue NY, but you never know.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » September 18th, 2022, 11:39 pm

F787B828-A33C-460C-A157-FAD4374CD670.jpeg
https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipkows ... 2049298432

PA MAGA Gov nominee Doug Mastriano rally: “Put your right hand in the air … America will have a new birth of liberty.”

Scary shit….
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 19th, 2022, 6:56 am

Furniture wrote:
September 18th, 2022, 11:39 pm

PA MAGA Gov nominee Doug Mastriano rally: “Put your right hand in the air … America will have a new birth of liberty.”

Scary shit….
I saw footage of tRump supporters doing the same at the PA rally and thought the same thing you did. Really, really scary.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 20th, 2022, 9:08 pm

The rise of harrassment and fear for poll workers this year is likely to rise. This seemed like it would have been a good idea.
The Department of Homeland Security’s cybersecurity agency this summer turned down a multimillion-dollar proposal to protect election officials from harassment ahead of the midterm elections.
Election workers have reported over 1,000 interactions with the public that they considered hostile or threatening to a Justice Department task force, but that is likely just a fraction of the threatening behavior that has occurred since 2020.

The episode also underscores how less than two months before November’s election, the federal government is struggling to find an effective strategy to combat false information about the voting process and the harassment of election workers, leaving many of them feeling unprotected.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/politics ... index.html
Thespie

Post by Thespie » September 22nd, 2022, 12:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
September 19th, 2022, 6:56 am
Furniture wrote:
September 18th, 2022, 11:39 pm

Scary shit….
I saw footage of tRump supporters doing the same at the PA rally and thought the same thing you did. Really, really scary.
I'm apologize for being crude but Trump looks like an uncircumsized penis, torso on up just looks like foreskin to me.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » September 25th, 2022, 8:41 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/politvidchan ... 7920552963

I know I probably should not have laughed but I did….
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 25th, 2022, 8:53 pm

Furniture wrote:
September 25th, 2022, 8:41 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/politvidchan ... 7920552963

I know I probably should not have laughed but I did….
LOL. That's great. He managed to piss off both Democrats and Republicans. Unfortunately, though it has been publicized, that story has not received as much press as I would like.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » September 28th, 2022, 10:36 pm

Hard to defend him on this one.

CNN — none
President Joe Biden on Wednesday asked if a congresswoman who died last month was present at a White House food insecurity conference.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/28/politics ... index.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 29th, 2022, 10:35 pm

The special master was doing his job and really tightening the screws on Trump, but the judge (a proud alum of Dear Old Duke) is undermining him and acting like a paid employee of the Trump Organization. I know an appeals court overruled her on one issue but she really should be disbarred.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/2 ... t-00059644

Meanwhile deSantis is asking for federal funds when he wouldn't provide them to the northeast after Sandy. Hypocrite. I wish someone would ask him his logic on this.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 29th, 2022, 11:39 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 29th, 2022, 10:35 pm
Meanwhile deSantis is asking for federal funds when he wouldn't provide them to the northeast after Sandy. Hypocrite. I wish someone would ask him his logic on this.
Every quote from every incumbent and candidate that you read this week.
"This is not about politics, we can't play politics in this dire situation."

Every thought from every incumbent and candidate that will be thunk this week.
"This is totally about making my political position look good."
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » September 30th, 2022, 10:04 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 29th, 2022, 10:35 pm
Wait, DeSantis is a hypocrite?!? I'm disillusioned.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » October 11th, 2022, 4:26 pm

So who has got told they are not welcome to post on the DBR mid-term thread? :D :ymparty:

Own up…
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 11th, 2022, 4:41 pm

Furniture wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 4:26 pm
So who has got told they are not welcome to post on the DBR mid-term thread? :D :ymparty:

Own up…
I wanna know too!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 11th, 2022, 7:01 pm

I no longer post on DBR. I’ve been censured (and censored) for posting anything against the former president. Interestingly, it appeared at the time that posts supporting said former president were okay.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 11th, 2022, 8:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
October 11th, 2022, 7:01 pm
I no longer post on DBR. I’ve been censured (and censored) for posting anything against the former president. Interestingly, it appeared at the time that posts supporting said former president were okay.
I posted a highly sarcastic remark earlier today about election deniers but nobody followed up on it. I am generally one who encourages compromise and finding a middle ground (to a fault) but that is my litmus test issue - if you believe the 2020 election was stolen, I don't listen to another word you say. Especially since it seems like the minimal amount of cheating that took place was done by Republicans. There have been a few pro-Trump folks who have tried to gain some traction at DBR (some out of intent, some out of ignorance) but in general, either the Mods are deleting things quickly so I'm not seeing them, or else everyone is afraid of rocking the boat so it is generally really boring.

I am very anxious about what kind of shenanigans they will do in November - I'm surprised there is not more talk about that. Speaking of which, has there been any update on the lawsuit by the voting machine company? I am all for due process but it is agonizing how long these trials take. We really need to hire more judges, though I guess if all of those judges were Trumpers, it wouldn't be good.