The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2022, 10:11 am

Ooops!
A Republican group in Alabama is apologizing after accidentally using a picture of the GOP elephant that contained Ku Klux Klan imagery.

The Lawrence County Republican Party intended to post an image of the GOP elephant on its Facebook page, but ended up using one in which the white spaces between the animal's legs were drawn to resemble hooded Klansmen.

A party official said the image was taken from the results of a Google search and that the image was immediately replaced once the mistake was detected.
#-o

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-group-ap ... 03371.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2022, 11:26 am

Fox News going with DeSantis is bad for Trump, but losing Alex Jones over DeSantis is REALLY bad for Trump.
Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has thrown his backing behind Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, withdrawing his support for former President Donald Trump.

During an Infowars broadcast this week, Jones declared that he would no longer "pigheadedly" support Trump.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/alex-jones-t ... 46216.html
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » August 18th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Tell us what you really think, Mr. Carville. :))
“The problem the Republican Party has is they got really stupid people that vote in their primaries. And when you have that, you’re going to get in – really stupid people demand to have really stupid leaders. And that’s where the Republican Party is now.”
And he's right that Ds suffer more for their silly people than Rs do for their evil people.
“There’s, we have our, our people are kind of silly. Their people actually — Racism is evil. Alright. Misogyny is evil...But yet the media is addicted to both-sidesism”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2022, 2:02 pm

I mentioned about Ron Johnson being down in the polls; turns out he's also down in the eyes of the GOP money spenders. Along with Dr. Oz and Blake Masters. Each of the three have had cash pulled from their campaign advertising.
Blake Masters in Arizona, Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania, and Ron Johnson in Wisconsin are going to have a little less help than they would have hoped this fall.
THE NATIONAL REPUBLICAN Senatorial Committee is canceling $10 million worth of fall advertising reservations in Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin — three states at the center of the GOP’s push to regain control of Congress. The New York Times, which reported the news on Monday, notes Republicans have been struggling to raise money as of late, as well as that the decision to pull ads for some of its top candidates could be tied to the party’s financial troubles.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1397205/
dudog

Post by dudog » August 18th, 2022, 2:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 18th, 2022, 2:02 pm
I mentioned about Ron Johnson being down in the polls; turns out he's also down in the eyes of the GOP money spenders. Along with Dr. Oz and Blake Masters. Each of the three have had cash pulled from their campaign advertising.
Blake Masters in Arizona, Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania, and Ron Johnson in Wisconsin are going to have a little less help than they would have hoped this fall.
THE NATIONAL REPUBLICAN Senatorial Committee is canceling $10 million worth of fall advertising reservations in Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin — three states at the center of the GOP’s push to regain control of Congress. The New York Times, which reported the news on Monday, notes Republicans have been struggling to raise money as of late, as well as that the decision to pull ads for some of its top candidates could be tied to the party’s financial troubles.
All their donors are sending their money straight to Trump. What do you think he's gonna do with it? Give it to R candidates?

=)) :joker:

This is Trump to Rs. And really, everyone. :teasing-nutkick:
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 18th, 2022, 8:13 pm

I am very, very cautiously optimistic that the Dems can hold the Senate or even pick up a seat or two. Unfortunately, it is not looking good in the house. The Republicans really ended up with some questionable candidates in the more purple states.

Someone please educate me on the civics I forgot - if the Dems control the Senate but not the house, can they still get judges through? Or will they all get held up in the House?
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » August 18th, 2022, 8:34 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 18th, 2022, 8:13 pm
I am very, very cautiously optimistic that the Dems can hold the Senate or even pick up a seat or two. Unfortunately, it is not looking good in the house. The Republicans really ended up with some questionable candidates in the more purple states.

Someone please educate me on the civics I forgot - if the Dems control the Senate but not the house, can they still get judges through? Or will they all get held up in the House?
The House does not have a vote on judges, only the Senate.
dudog

Post by dudog » August 19th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Wanted to share my early voting experience at the library yesterday to give y'all some hope.

Getting his ballot next to me at the table was a kid who barely looked 18. His volunteer shouted "first-time voter" and everyone in the room cheered.

I joked at my volunteer "Great way to keep a teenager voting, embarrass him in front of the room."

She laughed and said "You've got to give us some enjoyment!".

I said "Well they better vote, it's their future."

She then said she is so proud of Gen Z, she has 2 kids and said "Gen Z is pissssssed"

I responded "Well, you've got to give the idiot credit for that. He's motivated the youngsters."

She grinned and handed me my ballot.

Despite the obvious pain it's going to cause some people in the short term (and I truly feel sorry for that), I laughed inside at how smug Alito and all the Rs were at overturning Roe. I believe voting is in large part a habit, a habit that many youngsters don't acquire. Think about it, don't you get a little bit of a buzz after you've voted? I do (an IPA is better though). The Rs have just introduced a whole lot of kids and women to the buzz.

To paraphrase Yamamoto (because there is no proof he ever said or wrote such a thing): All Republicans have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill them with an awesome resolve.

I just hope the Ds take some time before they screw the advantage up.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » August 19th, 2022, 5:22 pm

To further boost the Its Friday feeling this is good for a giggle!

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmpadellan/s ... 1848942592
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » August 19th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Too much spending on crudite, huh?
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 19th, 2022, 8:06 pm

“The problem the Republican Party has is they got really stupid people that vote in their primaries. And when you have that, you’re going to get in – really stupid people demand to have really stupid leaders. And that’s where the Republican Party is now.”
For the record, there are a lot of stupid Democrats out there voting. Stupidity isn’t limited to the GOP. My apologies for busting your bubble.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 19th, 2022, 8:15 pm

Bob Green wrote:
August 19th, 2022, 8:06 pm

For the record, there are a lot of stupid Democrats out there voting. Stupidity isn’t limited to the GOP.
Yup. I wish both parties would work harder on arguing why their policies are better, and spend less time arguing why the members of the other side are somehow inferior.
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » August 19th, 2022, 9:20 pm

OPK wrote:
August 19th, 2022, 8:15 pm
Yup. I wish both parties would work harder on arguing why their policies are better, and spend less time arguing why the members of the other side are somehow inferior.
IMO Biden has done a good job doing exactly that in arguing for the Inflation Reduction Act and the CHIPS act and it led to huge policy wins.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 19th, 2022, 9:36 pm

Wander wrote:
August 19th, 2022, 9:20 pm
OPK wrote:
August 19th, 2022, 8:15 pm
IMO Biden has done a good job doing exactly that in arguing for the Inflation Reduction Act and the CHIPS act and it led to huge policy wins.
I don’t think Carville (or Bob) was talking about the party leaders. Carville said in essence that R voters were dumb. I think Bob’s point — with which I wholly agree - is that there are a shitload of stupid voters out there and one party’s base does not have a monopoly on ignorance.

At least that’s my take. I don’t mean to speak for Bob.

As for Biden, I agree that he has had a very good month. I perhaps disagree that his messaging has been particularly effective for the bulk of his administration so far.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2022, 9:37 pm

I saw an article this week highlighting Biden's skyrocketing approval numbers.

They shot up from the mid 30s to the low 40s. :|
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 20th, 2022, 12:04 am

Bob Green wrote:
August 19th, 2022, 8:06 pm
For the record, there are a lot of stupid Democrats out there voting. Stupidity isn’t limited to the GOP. My apologies for busting your bubble.
Yeah. Stupid exists on both sides but on the R side they win the Anti-Gay, Racist, Sexist, reduce taxes on the rich and tax the middle class by a wide margin. Is that stupid?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2022, 1:46 pm

Potent quote from conservative Rusty Bowers, the Arizona House Speaker that testified before the Jan 6 committee earlier this year.
"The constitution is hanging by a thread," Bowers told The Guardian. "The funny thing is, I always thought it would be the other guys. And it's my side. That just rips at my heart: that we would be the people who would surrender the constitution in order to win an election. That just blows my mind."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/lame-duck-ar ... 34985.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 22nd, 2022, 10:11 pm

It is amazing to me that Trump took a bunch of things that clearly did not belong to him like he was taking soap from a hotel. I'm sure there were people who told him he couldn't do this but he does not believe rules apply to him, and it is almost like a game to him to see what he can get away with.

But now his idiot followers believe that it is a "witch hunt" and that he did nothing wrong. Will they ever learn? At some point will they say enough is enough with his childish drama and move on to DeSantis, who is Trump with a bit more common sense (which in some ways is more frightening)? And all of these people who blindly support him are those who claim to be so in favor of "law and order" and wanted Hillary's head for what at worst was a fraction as bad as what Trump did. I'm sure he will find another of his people to throw under the bus for this. Don't his followers also understand that it says a lot about him that he seems to clearly have a problem hiring competent people because he ends up getting rid of everyone?

As one who likes calm, structure, and order, the constant frenzy of activity around this sociopath is truly unnerving.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 22nd, 2022, 10:34 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna44310

This has to be good news for the Dems…

DENVER — Citing alarm toward the Republican Party’s widespread embrace of 2020 election conspiracies, a moderate GOP Colorado state senator has switched his affiliation to Democrat, enhancing that party’s prospects to retain its majority in the chamber in the November midterms.

Kevin Priola, who represents Adams County in Denver’s suburbs, said in a letter Monday he was horrified by the Jan. 6 insurrection on the U.S. Capitol and had waited in vain for his party to repudiate it as well as former President Donald Trump, who continues to insist that it was stolen.

“It never came,” Priola said. “To my dismay, brave and honorable Republicans like Mike Pence, Liz Cheney, Mitt Romney and Adam Kinzinger have fought to defend the Constitution and the rule of law only to be met with ridicule and threats.”

“I cannot continue to be part of a political party that is okay with a violent attempt to overturn a free and fair election and continues to peddle claims that the 2020 election was stolen,” Priola said.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 25th, 2022, 11:16 am

Sounds like the SCOTUS decision to abolish Roe is having a positive effect for Dems. Indicative evidence for that is the win of Democrat Pat Ryan on Tuesdays special election in New York’s Hudson Valley.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/2 ... l-00053458

CNN is now postering that Biden’s student debt forgiveness could have the opposite effect.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/25/politics ... index.html