The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » August 2nd, 2022, 9:09 pm

It can’t be a good sign that Nancy is ignoring the advice of her Democratic President’s advice. ESPECIALLY on foreign policy.

If you wanted yet more evidence that the Dems cannot actually govern . . . . It is hard for me to figure how the Dems as a whole couldn’t improve the chances of a second Trump administration more than how the last two years have played out. What a shit show.

Goddamn, fuck.

“Prove me wrong”
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » August 2nd, 2022, 11:48 pm

Well, well, well, Kansas! Absolute terrific news tonight with their vote to keep the right for an abortion in their constitution!

This has to bode well for the Dems in the mid terms.

Roe Roe Roe your vote…..
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2022, 10:30 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 8:43 pm
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 12:45 pm
I'm pretty sure if you translate that statement to Chinese, it reads "We're here to piss you off".
I'm a lot smarter about domestic policy than about foreign policy. And I generally think our government should focus the vast majority of its time and resources on domestic policy. So someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But this seems like a very Trump-esque move, basically saying screw you to the Chinese. Though perhaps it is something Trump would threaten to do in a tough guy moment but wouldn't actually follow through on.

Also interesting that Pelosi went, as opposed to someone else.
Well, I think the actual reason she's there is to show true support for Taiwan, but the "Screw you" to Beijing is a very loud overtone.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2022, 10:37 am

Furniture wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 11:48 pm
Well, well, well, Kansas! Absolute terrific news tonight with their vote to keep the right for an abortion in their constitution!

Roe Roe Roe your vote…..
Yes and no. If the people are given the vote in any state, I've got no doubt that the majority will almost always vote to keep it legal. However, in many of those states that vote is held by the reps that got voted in. And in this climate, they will always vote to shut it down, regardless of the wishes of their constituents.
So they vote in their MTGs and Gaetzes, because there's no way in hell they are electing a Democrat, and then pay the price when their grandstanding representative follows the wishes of the ultra-right instead of the common ground.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 3rd, 2022, 5:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 10:37 am
Furniture wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 11:48 pm

Roe Roe Roe your vote…..
Yes and no. If the people are given the vote in any state, I've got no doubt that the majority will almost always vote to keep it legal. However, in many of those states that vote is held by the reps that got voted in. And in this climate, they will always vote to shut it down, regardless of the wishes of their constituents.
So they vote in their MTGs and Gaetzes, because there's no way in hell they are electing a Democrat, and then pay the price when their grandstanding representative follows the wishes of the ultra-right instead of the common ground.
Agreed. I get that. I don’t think the Dems can win in places like Kansas I was thinking they can use this message in the toss-up elections…..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2022, 8:58 pm

Walker Vs Warnock, Round One!

So Herschel says he's agreed to a debate. I'm gonna stream it with a big bowl of popcorn, and I can't even vote. (I bet there's a Republican out there that thinks I'll try, though.)

\:d/
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » August 4th, 2022, 12:16 pm

OPK wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 9:09 pm
It can’t be a good sign that Nancy is ignoring the advice of her Democratic President’s advice. ESPECIALLY on foreign policy.

If you wanted yet more evidence that the Dems cannot actually govern . . . . It is hard for me to figure how the Dems as a whole couldn’t improve the chances of a second Trump administration more than how the last two years have played out. What a shit show.

Goddamn, fuck.

“Prove me wrong”
What major changes would you have liked to see them do instead? I'm honestly open to suggestions but I think the Biden admin has handled the major issues of the past two years on "actually governing" – COVID, Russia, inflation, right-wing conspiracies – about as well as one could reasonably ask for. The Roe v Wade stuff is alarming but I view that as more a product of past administrations and not the current one even though the flashpoint happened this year.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 4th, 2022, 11:51 pm

OPK wrote:

Goddamn, fuck.

“Prove me wrong”
Kyrsten Sinema is on board with the Inflation Reduction Act. Biden took out al Qaeda’s leader, lowered gas prices, delivered health care for veterans, rejected abortion restrictions in Kansas……Not to shabby.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2022, 8:52 am

Furniture wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 11:51 pm
Kyrsten Sinema is on board with the Inflation Reduction Act. Biden took out al Qaeda’s leader, lowered gas prices, delivered health care for veterans, rejected abortion restrictions in Kansas……Not to shabby.
While I don't attribute gas prices to a POTUS, ever, voters do.
Another good bit of news, over half a million jobs were added to the economy in July.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 5th, 2022, 10:00 am

Furniture wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 11:51 pm
OPK wrote:

Goddamn, fuck.

“Prove me wrong”
Pelosi’s trip aside, it’s been a pretty good week or two for the Dems. Although they have very little to do with gas prices.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 5th, 2022, 10:50 am

Kyrsten Cinema is now supporting the Inflation Reduction Act. One of her conditions was to remove the provision that would have tightened the carried over interest loophole…..Why would she want to do that? I want to feel disgusted with this but maybe I am missing a big picture thing here. Can anyone clarify or should I just remain ignorantly disgusted.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 5th, 2022, 11:40 am

Must be some big time hedge fund managers in AZ?
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 5th, 2022, 11:55 am

Furniture wrote:
August 5th, 2022, 10:50 am
Kyrsten Cinema is now supporting the Inflation Reduction Act. One of her conditions was to remove the provision that would have tightened the carried over interest loophole…..Why would she want to do that? I want to feel disgusted with this but maybe I am missing a big picture thing here. Can anyone clarify or should I just remain ignorantly disgusted.
I was wondering the same thing. This isn't a particularly satisfying answer to your question, but here is what is in the NYT article on the topic - she claims she will work on it separately, but there is zero chance they will get all of the votes so it is a pretty empty gesture.

"In her statement, Ms. Sinema said she would work with Senator Mark Warner, Democrat of Virginia, on separate legislation to address the preferential tax treatment for hedge fund income, sometimes called the carried interest loophole. She said they would focus on “protecting investments in America’s economy and encouraging continued growth while closing the most egregious loopholes that some abuse to avoid paying taxes.”

But doing so outside of a reconciliation bill would require 60 votes to overcome an all-but-certain Republican filibuster, and it is unlikely that enough G.O.P. senators would join the effort to allow that to happen."

I also continue to find it amazing that Republicans like Murkowski and Collins, who call themselves centrists (Collins in particular) are considered non-starters to vote for something like this. As much as I don't love them, it seems like Sinema's demands aren't too extreme, but why not go to someone like Collins and see what she wants then pit them against each other in order to make the least bad changes? It seems like that is not even considered.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 5th, 2022, 8:30 pm

OPK wrote:
August 5th, 2022, 11:40 am
Must be some big time hedge fund managers in AZ?
It would seem a small amount of people that would get upset and so much to gain. Let’s not forget fairness….its more like the other party would do not a Dem.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 6th, 2022, 10:49 am

Canada puts in place temporary handgun import ban

https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs ... t-ban.html

Now that I've posted I will return to looking through the Toronto-area real estate listings...
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 7th, 2022, 12:33 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 6th, 2022, 10:49 am
Canada puts in place temporary handgun import ban

https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs ... t-ban.html

Now that I've posted I will return to looking through the Toronto-area real estate listings...
Don’t do it. It’s just too cold. Plus I firmly believe that every country has “crazies” that you want to get away from.
dudog

Post by dudog » August 7th, 2022, 9:00 am

When is Merrick Garland going to put this guy in jail?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 7th, 2022, 11:23 pm

Picture this and get your spew bags out….

Former President Donald Trump spoke at CPAC in Dallas, Texas on Saturday where he joked that former White House physician, Rear Admiral, and current Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX) would pick being a doctor over all else, solely because he enjoyed looking at Trump’s body.

Trump Claims White House Doctor ‘Loved Looking at my Body’, Told Him He Was ‘The Healthiest President That’s Ever Lived’

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-cl ... ver-lived/
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 8th, 2022, 7:48 am

Furniture wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 11:23 pm

Picture this and get your spew bags out….

Former President Donald Trump spoke at CPAC in Dallas, Texas on Saturday where he joked that former White House physician, Rear Admiral, and current Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX) would pick being a doctor over all else, solely because he enjoyed looking at Trump’s body.

Trump Claims White House Doctor ‘Loved Looking at my Body’, Told Him He Was ‘The Healthiest President That’s Ever Lived’

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-cl ... ver-lived/
Not to make light of mental illness because it is an incredibly serious, important issue, but here in NY we have something called Kendra's Law which gives judges authority to require people to undergo regular psychiatric treatment. It is not applied very much and many are saying it should be used more as there are a number of truly mentally ill people on the streets who are a danger to others and themselves.

The point of that narrative is that next time Trump sets foot in NY, I really wish someone would apply Kendra's Law to him. I'm sure he will just say "I'm joking" but he really does live in his own parallel universe. I know I'm stating the obvious here which we have discussed before, but it is truly amazing/frightening that he is personally leading to the destruction of this nation because his abusive father told him to never admit defeat because that would make him a "loser" and as a result, he cannot admit he lost an election (or failed at anything else) and there are millions of dumb Americans who are going along with him on this, so we might never have an accepted major election again nationally or in a swing state.

Rant over. Glad to see Biden is getting the legislation passed and was really smart in crafting it rather than just trying to ram something through with a lot of wish list items to destroy it.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 8th, 2022, 8:32 am

The Trump/Doctor moment was a humorous one during CPAC. I'll take that over the truly disturbing cases of attendees holding Capitol rioters on a pedestal of martyrdom, even going so far as having MTG pray for them and Goemert saying he'll fight to defund the FBI and DOJ. (Even though defunding your local police force is a terrible idea, because you've got to Back the Blue. Except when they won't let you violently riot in a federal building.)