Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 18th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 10:42 am
I didn't want to sully the nice tribute thread OY, but as sad as I am about the passing of Colin Powell, I'm just as sad about how his death will be weaponized by anti-vaxxers. They won't bother to read the part about him being 84 and immunocompromised. His death will likely lead indirectly to other deaths.

And as noted OY, although he had his faults, he did have solid principles, which is rare in public figures these days.

RIP.
Well put. I was debating saying that there but decided to stay silent.

I had a lot of respect for him but did not love his politics when he was in office, but the political differences we dealt with then seem trivial compared to what we are dealing with now, and he wisely called Trump out for the sociopath he is, which puts Powell ahead of a lot of people in my book.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 19th, 2021, 10:45 am

As expected, Trump responds with his typical class.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

I honestly don't understand how any decent person, let alone "Christian", can support this POS.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 19th, 2021, 2:15 pm

dudog wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 10:45 am
As expected, Trump responds with his typical class.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

I honestly don't understand how any decent person, let alone "Christian", can support this POS.
Trump has been a total jerk when Republicans Powell and McCain died (as well as for John Lewis). Too bad he won't be around to hear how badly people speak of him when he dies - the paranoid narcissist with daddy issues most responsible for destroying the United States of America.

I agree - how does anyone defend this or find it acceptable? Though I think the best response is to just ignore him - the "MSM" should just ignore these statements he is releasing. I think he is actually here in NY now being deposed for a case (not one where he is on trial). I'm still wondering what is taking so long in all of the trials against him - it is absolutely ridiculous - this should be top priority.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 19th, 2021, 8:53 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 2:15 pm
I'm still wondering what is taking so long in all of the trials against him - it is absolutely ridiculous - this should be top priority.
Well, no trial without a charge. Haven't heard much on any of those prospective fronts. :-w
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 19th, 2021, 9:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 8:53 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 19th, 2021, 2:15 pm
I'm still wondering what is taking so long in all of the trials against him - it is absolutely ridiculous - this should be top priority.
Well, no trial without a charge. Haven't heard much on any of those prospective fronts. :-w
I thought the recorded call of him telling the GA secretary of state to find him some votes was a smoking gun. And I think there are a few things that they have been working on in NY for a while. The feds could also get him but I understand there is some hesitancy for them to be taking the lead. I also think he should be charged with treason but that will be harder to prove.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 22nd, 2021, 3:44 pm

dudog wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 11:16 am
OMG! I agree with George Will (well, 80% anyway). He's on PBS's Firing Line, and no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, this is worth 25 minutes of your day.

https://video.wucftv.org/video/george-will-58m7eq/
Thank you for posting this link. I didn't have time to view it at the time, and came back across it looking for something else. I just listened to it, and I had no idea that George Will's son has Down Syndrome. I am not a small government conservative, but I share many values with true conservatives, and one of them was expressed by his words about his son. I doubt my own son, who also has Down Syndrome, will have the opportunity to work at a major league ballpark, but I certainly have every expectation that he will have a productive, fulfilling career somewhere. Thank you, Mr. Will, for helping to pave the way for us. things were very different for children and adults with disabilities back in 1972, and he has helped make things infinitely easier for us as we started our journey in 2000.

To tie this back to politics, government has had an important role to play in that, and Mr. Will, ironically, has opposed most such genuinely helpful government interventions, preferring to leave such matters to private charities. But I thank him for leading the way in advocacy in favor of his son, even as we disagree in our preferred approach for how to get from where we were to a better place. Political differences do not have to make us enemies, and indeed, there was a lot in that interview I can agree with. I hope it is still possible for our country to get back to a place where goals are shared and our disagreements are mainly about how those goals should be achieved.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 23rd, 2021, 8:01 pm

Fiona Hill on Firing Line. Another worthy 25 minutes. I really like Margaret Hoover. I'm sure y'all have seen other interviews of Fiona Hill, but almost all interviewers nowadays take up half the time with their own views. Hoover asks good questions, good follow-ups, and lets her subjects talk.

https://video.wucftv.org/video/fiona-hill-rlihiw/
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 25th, 2021, 4:43 pm

Eric Greitens was the governor of Missouri who left office after a variety of misdeeds. Now he is running for Senate, trying to curry favor with Trump to get that endorsement. He is a Duke alum - I overlapped with him but didn't know him, but people I know who did know him remember him as a slimy opportunist. Heaven help us if the two Senators from Missouri are Hawley and Greitens.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/2 ... -18bDM9VTU
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2021, 5:29 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 4:43 pm
He is a Duke alum - I overlapped with him but didn't know him, but people I know who did know him remember him as a future politician.
:ymsmug:
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 25th, 2021, 9:49 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 5:29 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
He is a Duke alum - I overlapped with him but didn't know him, but people I know who did know him remember him as a future politician.
:ymsmug:
I see what you did there...
dudog

Post by dudog » October 26th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Speaking of Duke alums, I'm reading Peril by the 2 Bobs. My favorite passage so far is:

"[General] Milley spun around from his seat in front of the Resolute Desk [and said] "Shut the fuck up, Steve [Stephen Miller]".

...[Attorney General] Barr, who also attended the meeting, understood Milley's frustration with Miller. He had also once told Miller to shut the fuck up."

I don't understand. Steve seems like such a pleasant boy.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 26th, 2021, 3:35 pm

dudog wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 12:49 pm
Speaking of Duke alums, I'm reading Peril by the 2 Bobs. My favorite passage so far is:

"[General] Milley spun around from his seat in front of the Resolute Desk [and said] "Shut the fuck up, Steve [Stephen Miller]".

...[Attorney General] Barr, who also attended the meeting, understood Milley's frustration with Miller. He had also once told Miller to shut the fuck up."

Your German word for the day — “ Backpfeifengesicht” — loosely translates to “a face that is begging for a slap”
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 26th, 2021, 4:13 pm

OPK wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:35 pm
dudog wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Your German word for the day — “ Backpfeifengesicht” — loosely translates to “a face that is begging for a slap”
Awesome word - I think people like to say "punchable face" which I guess is very similar. So one could say that it is schadenfraude that a soul-less jerk like Stephen Miller has a Backpfeifengesicht?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 27th, 2021, 6:56 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
Eric Greitens was the governor of Missouri who left office after a variety of misdeeds. Now he is running for Senate, trying to curry favor with Trump to get that endorsement. He is a Duke alum - I overlapped with him but didn't know him, but people I know who did know him remember him as a slimy opportunist. Heaven help us if the two Senators from Missouri are Hawley and Greitens.

Late to the party. There are zero good options on the Republican side of the race. Our current AG, Eric Schmidt, is suing anyone and everyone who tries to institute a mask mandate. I used to think he was the sane one. No more. Greitens, the front runner, had to resign for numerous reasons. Then, of course, we have McCloskey. Yes, that McCloskey. His ads are horrible and misleading. He lied about what happened when he pulled the assault rifle on the peaceful demonstrators walking past his house, and he perpetuates the lie to get attention. He is probably the worst of the lot.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 27th, 2021, 7:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 6:56 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Late to the party. There are zero good options on the Republican side of the race. Our current AG, Eric Schmidt, is suing anyone and everyone who tries to institute a mask mandate. I used to think he was the sane one. No more. Greitens, the front runner, had to resign for numerous reasons. Then, of course, we have McCloskey. Yes, that McCloskey. His ads are horrible and misleading. He lied about what happened when he pulled the assault rifle on the peaceful demonstrators walking past his house, and he perpetuates the lie to get attention. He is probably the worst of the lot.
Are there any decent Democrat candidates who can take advantage of this? I thought I saw that someone who was a decent prospect opted out?

I have been reading odds and ends about the VA governor's race. I really hope McAuliffe does not blow this - it would give the Republicans a lot of momentum (more than they already seem to have).

Meanwhile, in the NYC mayor's race, I am becoming increasingly convinced that Adams is a total sketchball idiot, but his Republican opponent Sliwa is even worse. Given the situation in Washington I can't see myself ever voting for a Republican again nationally, but I would consider a very moderate Republican candidate locally if they swore off Trump.
Nrrrrvous
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Nrrrrvous » November 2nd, 2021, 1:35 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:05 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Are there any decent Democrat candidates who can take advantage of this? I thought I saw that someone who was a decent prospect opted out?

I have been reading odds and ends about the VA governor's race. I really hope McAuliffe does not blow this - it would give the Republicans a lot of momentum (more than they already seem to have).

Meanwhile, in the NYC mayor's race, I am becoming increasingly convinced that Adams is a total sketchball idiot, but his Republican opponent Sliwa is even worse. Given the situation in Washington I can't see myself ever voting for a Republican again nationally, but I would consider a very moderate Republican candidate locally if they swore off Trump.
Well, I did my part for the VA Guv'nuhs race today. And I drug my 18-year old daughter to the polls. So that should count for something!

The recent polls for McAuliffe have not looked good but I have given up on listening to pollsters.

I don't like the fact that it's a cold, dreary, rainy day as a higher vote count will tend toward the good side.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 2nd, 2021, 2:15 pm

Nrrrrvous wrote:
November 2nd, 2021, 1:35 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:05 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:

Well, I did my part for the VA Guv'nuhs race today. And I drug my 18-year old daughter to the polls. So that should count for something!

The recent polls for McAuliffe have not looked good but I have given up on listening to pollsters.

I don't like the fact that it's a cold, dreary, rainy day as a higher vote count will tend toward the good side.
Saw the FB photo. Her Captain America shirt was a great choice to wear to the polls!
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 2nd, 2021, 3:31 pm

Nrrrrvous wrote:
And I drug my 18-year old daughter to the polls. So that should count for something!
As long as you didn't drug her AT the polls we will forgive the incorrect verb out of simple relief in learning how the sentence ended.
Nrrrrvous

Post by Nrrrrvous » November 3rd, 2021, 6:20 am

Phredd3 wrote:
November 2nd, 2021, 3:31 pm
Nrrrrvous wrote:
And I drug my 18-year old daughter to the polls. So that should count for something!
As long as you didn't drug her AT the polls we will forgive the incorrect verb out of simple relief in learning how the sentence ended.
You know, I thought that sounded off when I typed it but I was in too much of a hurry to check. Why does dragged sound so wrong? Must be my Appalachian upbringing.
Nrrrrvous

Post by Nrrrrvous » November 3rd, 2021, 6:25 am

Well, Virginia let me down once again.

What worries me more than Youngkin is the next presidential election. The Biden backlash may still be strong.