The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

mattman91
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by mattman91 » August 15th, 2021, 8:06 pm

Thank God we don't have to read all those mean tweets though, am I right?
Attachments
RDT_20210815_1529386969750890599314618.jpg
:obscene-drinkingbuddies:
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » August 15th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Joe Biden is a fucking joke. On a long vacation in Delaware while this shit is happening.

Que the "it's all Trump's fault!" as soon as he returns.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 15th, 2021, 8:47 pm

mattman91 wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 8:08 pm
Joe Biden is a fucking joke. On a long vacation in Delaware while this shit is happening.

You think he is just sitting there sipping pina coladas? And stop with the dementia crap. And even if he had dementia, I would rather have a president with dementia than one with the laundry list of mental health issues Trump had. And if anyone who claims to be a doctor tries to tell you that Trump was mentally well, please stay far away from that alleged doctor. I love how all of the Trump supporters are having a great time take shots from the cheap seats.

I think that Biden's presidency has been far from perfect (see that - a Democrat who can admit fault with his president - Republicans lost the ability to ever admit fault for anything) but I trust his judgement and that of the people around him a lot more than Trump's. Because I think that Biden is truly trying to act in the best interest of the United States of America, even if he might not be doing so perfectly, while Trump was only acting in the best interest of Donald Trump.

I can't believe we are still having this discussion.
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » August 15th, 2021, 8:54 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 8:47 pm
mattman91 wrote:

You think he is just sitting there sipping pina coladas? And stop with the dementia crap. And even if he had dementia, I would rather have a president with dementia than one with the laundry list of mental health issues Trump had. And if anyone who claims to be a doctor tries to tell you that Trump was mentally well, please stay far away from that alleged doctor. I love how all of the Trump supporters are having a great time take shots from the cheap seats.

I think that Biden's presidency has been far from perfect (see that - a Democrat who can admit fault with his president - Republicans lost the ability to ever admit fault for anything) but I trust his judgement and that of the people around him a lot more than Trump's. Because I think that Biden is truly trying to act in the best interest of the United States of America, even if he might not be doing so perfectly, while Trump was only acting in the best interest of Donald Trump.

Ohhhhh, someone is big mad.

No. I will not.

The dude is out to lunch and everyone knows it. What is unfolding is an embarrassment, and it is absolutely Joe's fault.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » August 15th, 2021, 9:19 pm

We never should have gone in, and it was gonna be a shit show on the way out no matter who did it or when.

Having said that, this seems terribly executed and drastically under-planned.

Plenty of blame to go around, starting with Bush-Rumsfeld-Chaney to the present. But this seems to be a major foompah.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 15th, 2021, 9:29 pm

mattman91 wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 8:54 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
mattman91 wrote:

No. I will not.

The dude is out to lunch and everyone knows it. What is unfolding is an embarrassment, and it is absolutely Joe's fault.
The situation is a shit show. Biden definitely deserves plenty of blame (still waiting for you or any other Republican to admit that your guy ever did something wrong). But the blame goes back to prior administrations as well. Trump. Obama. Bush.

There are plenty of other shit shows going on in the world right now. I wish we could focus more on solving them than on pointing fingers and acting holier than thou. But that doesn't drive ratings (on either side).

I also love when all of the armchair politicians get so politically knowledgeable and engaged when something happens where they can point fingers at the opposing side. DuDog posted a great comic on DBR that pretty much sums up our country now. Everyone is an expert. I wish all of these experts could solve all of our other problems.
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » August 15th, 2021, 9:50 pm

OPK wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 9:19 pm
We never should have gone in, and it was gonna be a shit show on the way out no matter who did it or when.

Having said that, this seems terribly executed and drastically under-planned.

Plenty of blame to go around, starting with Bush-Rumsfeld-Chaney to the present. But this seems to be a major foompah.
This.

Ron Paul was right.

We should have blown the Taliban to hell immediately after 9/11 and got the hell out.

I hated the nation building/world police policies of the Bush/Obama era. Trump hated it too, and largely avoided it. Funny enough, the media called him a "dangerous isolationist". Now look where we are.
Last edited by mattman91 on August 15th, 2021, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » August 15th, 2021, 9:53 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 9:29 pm
mattman91 wrote:
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

No. I will not.

The situation is a shit show. Biden definitely deserves plenty of blame (still waiting for you or any other Republican to admit that your guy ever did something wrong). But the blame goes back to prior administrations as well. Trump. Obama. Bush.

There are plenty of other shit shows going on in the world right now. I wish we could focus more on solving them than on pointing fingers and acting holier than thou. But that doesn't drive ratings (on either side).

I also love when all of the armchair politicians get so politically knowledgeable and engaged when something happens where they can point fingers at the opposing side. DuDog posted a great comic on DBR that pretty much sums up our country now. Everyone is an expert. I wish all of these experts could solve all of our other problems.
Ummm...what makes you think I never criticized Trump?

Here's the thing, if this were under Trump's watch, the media would be blasting him 24/7 calling him a disgrace. I can't wait to watch the media try to help Biden shift the blame to Trump and run damage control.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I can point out the obvious.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 15th, 2021, 10:00 pm

I think the only member of Congress to vote against the war was Barbara Lee (D-CA).

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/2279 ... vindicated
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 15th, 2021, 11:11 pm

mattman91 wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 9:53 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 9:29 pm
mattman91 wrote:

No. I will not.

Ummm...what makes you think I never criticized Trump?

Here's the thing, if this were under Trump's watch, the media would be blasting him 24/7 calling him a disgrace. I can't wait to watch the media try to help Biden shift the blame to Trump and run damage control.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I can point out the obvious.
Please stop referring to "the media" as the enemy. "The media" is not some monolithic entity - that is a huge Trump/Fox News talking point. Yes, CNN has swung almost as far left as Fox News has swung right, but they are not "the media." Fox News thrives on trying to create drama and pointing fingers rather than reporting the news. Then people just repeat what they say. The left does this a fair amount with CNN as well, but there are plenty of elements of the traditional "mainstream media" that does this on occasion but not regularly yet gets lumped in by Fox News and its followers.

Read the NY Times editorial that just came out on this. I know that the Trump supporters believe that the NY Times is evil and completely slanted. There is definitely some basis for this, and even I as a Democrat get very frustrated and find they are too far to the left at times (especially on some more local issues in and around NY). But overall I think they do a really good job of reporting the news and I think their editorial is very fair - they place plenty of blame on Biden but also note the responsibility of his predecessors.

Regarding your comment above, as much as I despise Trump, I thought his America first policies were somewhere that I could find common ground with him. I am very isolationist and think that America has so many problems within our borders that we should focus on these and spend less time and money on other people's problems. I strongly support the idea of a global economy but don't think we should be the world's policeman. But I didn't love how Trump went about this - rather than just trying to gradually ease out of some bad situations, he blew them up and decided the rest of the world was our enemies (except Russia). Trump wanted us out of Afghanistan but Biden was the one who actually made it happen. Who knows if Trump would have done it in a better fashion.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 16th, 2021, 7:27 am

Both parties voted to authorize the war in 2001.
Neither party had a plan on how to win the war, or to even define what a “win” was.
Both parties sat in the White House in the last 20 years and were unable to resolve the war.
Both parties controlled houses of Congress in the last 20 years and were unable to resolve the war.
Whether we pull out now, had pulled out five years ago, or pull out five years from now, it would be the same result — chaos and the fall of the puppet state we propped up.

Both parties own this.

This is not a Democratic failure or a Republican failure. It is an American failure. I don’t take glee in that.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 16th, 2021, 8:46 am

OPK wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 7:27 am
Both parties voted to authorize the war in 2001.
Neither party had a plan on how to win the war, or to even define what a “win” was.
Both parties sat in the White House in the last 20 years and were unable to resolve the war.
Both parties controlled houses of Congress in the last 20 years and were unable to resolve the war.
Whether we pull out now, had pulled out five years ago, or pull out five years from now, it would be the same result — chaos and the fall of the puppet state we propped up.

Both parties own this.

This is not a Democratic failure or a Republican failure. It is an American failure. I don’t take glee in that.
Thank you. Exactly. But unfortunately Mattman needed to get out ahead of that and worry about the politicization of that, how the media would handle it, etc. And there are plenty of Dems doing the same thing - worrying about the spin of it rather than the actual issue at hand. Which is really sad. Even a major pandemic could not bring this country together because no one trusts or likes each other.
dudog

Post by dudog » August 16th, 2021, 5:20 pm

"I started the process,” Trump said at a rally in Ohio in late June, his first since losing the presidency. “All the troops are coming back home. They couldn’t stop the process. 21 years is enough. Don’t we think? 21 years. [The Biden administration] couldn’t stop the process. They wanted to, but it was very tough to stop the process.”

Video is in this article:

https://newsone.com/4186137/trump-afgha ... -bragging/

Why isn't the biased main stream media showing this clip?
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » August 16th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Liked Biden's speech today. He is definitely partially responsible for some of the horror we're seeing unfolding and deserves some blame, but he made the case for getting out as well as can be done despite that. (the dementia references here are just sad and reflects very poorly on the posters making them, not going to respond to that kind of trashy commentary further)

Blame distribution is #1 Taliban, #2 Bush and his administration, and #3 tie between Obama, Trump, and Biden. With large gaps in between each of those categories.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2021, 12:24 pm

While not my preference, I deleted one post above. I left the first one only as an example as to what is approaching the border of my tolerance, but it stands because it at least has a qualifier (albeit a disinformational qualifier) after it. Any post that is merely just an insult will be deleted, even with our rather lax moderation rules.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog

Post by dudog » August 21st, 2021, 10:31 pm

This is gonna get fun!

‘Ghost’ candidate in South Florida Senate race to testify against former lawmaker Frank Artiles

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

In case you weren't aware of the story, the GOP (nuthin' Grand about 'em) put up non-candidates in several races to throw the election to them.

Their whole argument country-wide going forward: If you can't win with your ideas and ideals, cheat.

I've never been much of a Democrat. But I am now.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 22nd, 2021, 6:02 am

OPK wrote:
August 16th, 2021, 7:27 am
Very well stated!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2021, 1:12 pm

Biden's approval numbers have been falling, and they've finally dipped below 50%. Given the resurgence in the pandemic, and the disaster that is Afghanistan, it's not surprising.
According to the survey, 49 percent of adults approve of Biden’s overall job performance, while 48 percent disapprove.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-job-r ... 00035.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 25th, 2021, 11:19 pm

A judge in Michigan sanctioned Sidney Powell, Lin Wood and other "lawyers" for bringing the lawsuits trying to decertify Michigan's election results. They will have to pay fines and take legal education classes. I'm sure this will not help convince the people who still think the election was stolen. I'm not losing any sleep over it but I'm still wondering what the basis is for their anger and why they are so convinced that the election was stolen.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/25/10311271 ... ction-laws
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2021, 9:21 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 25th, 2021, 11:19 pm
A judge in Michigan sanctioned Sidney Powell, Lin Wood and other "lawyers" for bringing the lawsuits trying to decertify Michigan's election results. They will have to pay fines and take legal education classes. I'm sure this will not help convince the people who still think the election was stolen. I'm not losing any sleep over it but I'm still wondering what the basis is for their anger and why they are so convinced that the election was stolen.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/25/10311271 ... ction-laws
They also have to attend 12 hours of some legal education class, which I guess must focus on something that they didn't have in law school. I pity the person that has to lead those sessions. "Mr. Wood, would you please stop rolling your eyes? And Ms. Powell, we talked about passing notes in class once already."

In other political news, Herschel Walker is running for the Georgia senate seat. He hasn't lived in Georgia for years, nor held any public office, but those are minor quibbles.