The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2021, 11:28 am

At the height of the controversy surrounding Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and the revelations that he’s under investigation for sex trafficking, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) bet big on a nationwide joint fundraising tour with her embattled colleague. But new campaign filings show that not only did the gamble not pay off, but that the much-maligned Republicans actually spent four times as much as they raised.
:)) =)) =))

https://www.yahoo.com/news/matt-gaetz-m ... 47750.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » July 26th, 2021, 2:04 pm

Latest from the right: No kids, no vote.

https://www.salon.com/2021/07/25/new-id ... e_partner/

Funny, the most environmentally conscious people I know are the ones without kids.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2021, 10:22 am

dudog wrote:
July 26th, 2021, 2:04 pm
Latest from the right: No kids, no vote.

https://www.salon.com/2021/07/25/new-id ... e_partner/

Funny, the most environmentally conscious people I know are the ones without kids.
you can name the left-wing politicians, people who think that we should legalize marijuana because they don't have kids and they don't really have a stake in what that looks like.
Huh?
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 29th, 2021, 10:08 am

Well, after four years of promises broken, and another six months of political wrangling, it looks like Biden might finally get a deal done on infrastructure. (Link is NYT, so paywalled.) Of course, this was just a procedural vote, not a final vote on a final bill, so there are still plenty of ways for things to go south, but usually things like this do eventually happen once the procedural hurdle is cleared.

Nevertheless, I'm not counting any chickens. We'll get it when and if a law is actually passed. But this is at least a good sign.
dudog

Post by dudog » July 29th, 2021, 11:06 am

WINNER!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/donald-t ... 37459.html

Trump claims win after his endorsed candidate loses.
dudog

Post by dudog » July 31st, 2021, 12:23 pm

I miss this board being more active. Big news on the Deputy Attorney General's notes. Will anyone have the guts to do anthing about it?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2021, 1:08 pm

dudog wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 12:23 pm
I miss this board being more active. Big news on the Deputy Attorney General's notes. Will anyone have the guts to do anthing about it?
I'm pretty sure things will heat up here in the next few months as the mid-terms begin to pick up steam. On that note, I saw a local story today about how one of the Senate candidates in NC will be making a stop here in the eastern part of the state. (He's a state senator representing the Charlotte area.)
As far as the notes taken by the deputy AG, all of those things crawl at such a snail's pace it's hard for me to get into any of it much. My only worry is that they will take so long on anything that by the time they do, Trump will be actively campaigning for himself again. I'd rather if any charges were brought against him, it would be before it got to that point.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2021, 6:00 pm

dudog wrote:
I’ve enjoyed the lack of daily WTF moments we endured for four years.

Things will pick up in due course. Hopefully, the next big news is an indictment of a certain former President.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 31st, 2021, 9:03 pm

OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 6:00 pm
dudog wrote:
I’ve enjoyed the lack of daily WTF moments we endured for four years.

Things will pick up in due course. Hopefully, the next big news is an indictment of a certain former President.
OPK - I believe you are a lawyer. Could you please explain why the legal process is taking so long? I'm all for being thorough and making sure that Trump doesn't get off on a technicality, but this is really ridiculous. It will soon get to the point where Trump is campaigning for something and starts complaining that the legal cases are solely to ruin his campaign, even though they have been in the works for years.
OPK

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 9:03 pm
OPK - I believe you are a lawyer. Could you please explain why the legal process is taking so long? I'm all for being thorough and making sure that Trump doesn't get off on a technicality, but this is really ridiculous. It will soon get to the point where Trump is campaigning for something and starts complaining that the legal cases are solely to ruin his campaign, even though they have been in the works for years.
Really hard to say without knowing what the evidence is. My guesses:

NY tax cases — with something as complicated and sophisticated as Trump’s taxes no doubt are, it takes a fair amount of time to go through and build a case. They’ve only had the tax returns for a few months. They are also trying to turn his accountant Allen Weisselberg which takes time (and I doubt it will work). They have now indicted Weisselberg and the Trump Organization, which is a step up the ladder. Prosecutors often try to work up the chain, in order to flip defendants. Note too that a conviction of Trump Org. if it happens could have crippling financial implications for DJT.

Georgia “get me 11k votes” case — Fulton County only began having grand juries within the last month or so I think because of COVID. If an indictment is coming, I would expect it within the next few months. I would be shocked if they don’t indict, probably before Labor Day.

Federal/DC inciting a riot case — never gonna happen, IMO, for lots of reasons.

But yes, it’s frustrating for lawyers too.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 1st, 2021, 5:19 pm

OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 9:21 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 9:03 pm
Really hard to say without knowing what the evidence is. My guesses:

NY tax cases — with something as complicated and sophisticated as Trump’s taxes no doubt are, it takes a fair amount of time to go through and build a case. They’ve only had the tax returns for a few months. They are also trying to turn his accountant Allen Weisselberg which takes time (and I doubt it will work). They have now indicted Weisselberg and the Trump Organization, which is a step up the ladder. Prosecutors often try to work up the chain, in order to flip defendants. Note too that a conviction of Trump Org. if it happens could have crippling financial implications for DJT.

Georgia “get me 11k votes” case — Fulton County only began having grand juries within the last month or so I think because of COVID. If an indictment is coming, I would expect it within the next few months. I would be shocked if they don’t indict, probably before Labor Day.

Federal/DC inciting a riot case — never gonna happen, IMO, for lots of reasons.

But yes, it’s frustrating for lawyers too.
Thanks for the helpful explanation. For all of Trump's horrible behavior, I wish we had some quicker resolving, more cut and dry cases to go after him with.

Speaking of which, great column today by Maureen Dowd in the NY Times (sorry - paywalled). Basically about how the Republicans ran so aggressively on the idea that they are the law-and-order party and they love cops while the Democrats treat cops like garbage. But now they are the ones treating the cops testifying about January 6 like garbage. As much as I want to move on, we cannot ignore what Trump did for four years as these beliefs are still guiding the Republican party and could quickly come back to life in 2022 and even more so in 2024.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/31/opin ... trump.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm

The New York attorney general's investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo found that Cuomo sexually harassed multiple women, Attorney General Letitia James announced Tuesday.

The office found that Cuomo harassed current and former state employees, as well as a number of women outside of state government, James said, as the office released a lengthy report on the investigation.
Cuomo's conduct violated multiple federal and state laws, James said.
Bye
(Of course he'll deny it all, but that's very damning, so bye.)
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/03/politics ... index.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 3rd, 2021, 4:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm
The New York attorney general's investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo found that Cuomo sexually harassed multiple women, Attorney General Letitia James announced Tuesday.

The office found that Cuomo harassed current and former state employees, as well as a number of women outside of state government, James said, as the office released a lengthy report on the investigation.
Bye
At this point I don't think anyone is supporting him. The AG is also a Democrat, though in NY not all Democrats get along. I'm not sure what the rules are about forcing him out. I think the election is next year and people have been starting to jockey for position - I think we discussed upthread that Giuliani's moron son who got kicked off the Duke golf team for being a jerk is running as a Republican. He was Trump's lackey/golfing buddy for the past four years so theoretically has Trump's support (which isn't worth as much in NY as other places). Though I just saw another article this week about how Giuliani is broke and Trump is distancing himself, so that could be fun.

And as I am typing this I get the update that Biden told Cuomo to resign. A lot of prominent Dems were withholding opinions until there was a thorough investigation. I think this qualified as a thorough investigation.
OPK

Post by OPK » August 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm

Luckily for Cuomo, the New York press is docile and not apt to run with salacious headlines day after day after day . . . .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 4th, 2021, 10:12 am

OPK wrote:
August 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm
Luckily for Cuomo, the New York press is docile and not apt to run with salacious headlines day after day after day . . . .
=)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Charles D. Lavine, who leads the Assembly’s Judiciary Committee, said that lawyers hired by the judiciary committee had directed Mr. Cuomo and his legal team to submit any evidence in the governor’s defense by next Friday. The lawyers had previously issued a subpoena for relevant documents.
The move was the latest and most vivid indication yet that the Assembly, which is controlled by Democrats, was moving quickly to impeach Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat.
I can just about hear Trump laughing from Mar-A-Lago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cuomo ... li=BBnb7Kz
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 5th, 2021, 5:26 pm

August 5th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Charles D. Lavine, who leads the Assembly’s Judiciary Committee, said that lawyers hired by the judiciary committee had directed Mr. Cuomo and his legal team to submit any evidence in the governor’s defense by next Friday. The lawyers had previously issued a subpoena for relevant documents.
The move was the latest and most vivid indication yet that the Assembly, which is controlled by Democrats, was moving quickly to impeach Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat.
I can just about hear Trump laughing from Mar-A-Lago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cuomo ... li=BBnb7Kz
Trump says "I am the best at fighting impeachments. No one fights impeachments better than me."

Rudy is broke and looking for work so maybe he can help!

Cuomo is 10+ years younger but actually grew up fairly close to Trump. I think there was a bit too much testosterone in the water...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 10th, 2021, 12:21 pm

August 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm

Bye
Now it's an official "Bye". Cuomo has resigned. Massive downfall of a politician.

Given the nature of the scandal, his replacement is fitting.
Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul, a 62-year-old Democrat and former member of Congress from the Buffalo area, will become the state’s 57th governor and the first woman to hold the post.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAN9SbZ
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 10th, 2021, 12:28 pm

In brighter news, Biden is closer to scoring the biggest achievement of his presidency so far, as the Senate has passed the $1.2T infrastructure bill. The vote was 69-30, so that shows heavy bi-partisan support for such a huge package in a day when that kind of mutual agreement is a rare thing to find.

Of course it has to go to the House again, where they could totally muck it up, but hopefully the same across the aisle attitude will be found there as well.
mattman91
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by mattman91 » August 10th, 2021, 12:56 pm

How long until pervy/grandma killer Cuomo gets a job at CNN?

Edit: yes, I did just log in here for the first time in ages to post this.
:obscene-drinkingbuddies: