Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Troublemaker
I don't know what PWing is.

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by Troublemaker » October 30th, 2020, 12:13 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 8:48 am
More than just profanity, we actually not only allow free thought here, we also encourage it.
Cool, I'll be cautiously optimistic and hold you to that. Tuesday night and beyond might be a test :-). Gotta tell you guys, I'm going to celebrate like crazy if I'm right about this election, and I'm going to call out bad analysis and rub it in. I'm going to criticize the post, not the poster, but overly sensitive posters are going to feel like it's an attack on them.

But look, the street goes both ways. If I turn out to be horribly wrong, I want you guys to never let me hear the end of it. Those are the ground rules, from my perspective.

Anyway, here's my map. None of this stuff about court cases and counting ballots post-ED is going to matter.

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 30th, 2020, 6:52 am

Troublemaker, that is a possibility, but I hope you are wrong. If this prediction comes to pass, I think Trump loses the popular vote badly - even worse than in 2016.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 30th, 2020, 8:57 am

Troublemaker wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:13 am
More than just profanity, we actually not only allow free thought here, we also encourage it.
Cool, I'll be cautiously optimistic and hold you to that. Tuesday night and beyond might be a test :-). Gotta tell you guys, I'm going to celebrate like crazy if I'm right about this election, and I'm going to call out bad analysis and rub it in. I'm going to criticize the post, not the poster, but overly sensitive posters are going to feel like it's an attack on them.

But look, the street goes both ways. If I turn out to be horribly wrong, I want you guys to never let me hear the end of it. Those are the ground rules, from my perspective.

Anyway, here's my map. None of this stuff about court cases and counting ballots post-ED is going to matter.

From my perspective, you win graciously and lose graciously. You don't rub it in. Act like you've been there before. Coach K starts every press conference by saying something positive about the opponent, no matter how bad the loss was or how big the win was. To quote the Republican George Bush, why can't we have a "kinder, gentler nation?"

Who empowered you to set the ground rules? The folks OY clearly don't like your ground rules, and I'm not sure how our gracious hosts here feel about them either.

It is sad that this is what America has come to.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2020, 9:00 am

If (and likely when) Biden wins, I'm not going to rub anything in. I'm simply going to be very happy that our country is on a path back to decency.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 30th, 2020, 10:38 am

Geno Auriemma, who is one of the few to share the rarefied air with Coach K of being an undisputed all-time great, has some things to say about the country and what this election means.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... ight-thing
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 30th, 2020, 10:48 am

gumbomoop wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 8:43 pm
I continue to believe that Kavanaugh is the actual wild-card-swing-justice that Roberts needs to persuade to act as a non-partisan arbiter in defense of democracy and the rule of law. And I will hope that either Gorsuch or Barrett will move toward Roberts and away from Thomas and Alito.
Given Kavanaugh's recent election case dissenting opinions make me really wonder what you see here that indicate Kavanaugh would be a wildcard in a moderation sense. Late, otherwise properly cast ballots, will flip the election? States want to announce election results on election night or as soon as possible thereafter? Vermont didn't change electoral procedures? He doesn't even seem to want to bother to conduct a full and accurate evaluation of the facts, let alone the law. Kavanaugh is as overtly partisan as anyone I can recall on the Court. I haven't seen any reason to believe that he would be a moderating influence at all.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2020, 10:51 am

dudog wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 10:38 am
Geno Auriemma, who is one of the few to share the rarefied air with Coach K of being an undisputed all-time great, has some things to say about the country and what this election means.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... ight-thing
That's a good read. (And the story underneath it is scary, two Baylor players collided in practice and nearly broke the back of one of them, eek.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
richardjackson199
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by richardjackson199 » October 30th, 2020, 11:33 am

Troublemaker wrote:

Wow that really is an incredible prediction map with experts like 538 Nate Silver giving Biden 89% chance to win this close to the election. Similar to the degenerate non-real-gambling contests on OY, making a prediction like this and being right would be quite impressive. And you're raising the stakes by equally accepting "I want you guys to never let me hear the end of it if I turn out to be horribly wrong."

I love that Crazietalk allows free thought and opinions, where posters are encouraged to defend posts or argue with other posters analysis, as long as it's never the poster who is attacked. It's nice that those who want to discuss politics can do so, even in partisan fashion on either side without having to worry about whether or not they are just talking about the impact on the horse race. I have found discussions on CrazieTalk to be extremely friendly, even on this emotionally charged thread. Posts not being deleted hasn't made things unfriendly or get out of hand.

I think everyone who cares deeply about this election, which is probably most who read this thread, will celebrate like crazy if their candidate wins. It's a big election with big ramifications. The winners and their supporters should celebrate and be elated.

My perspective is that it's not going to be the end of the world if one candidate or the other wins or loses. The world did not end when Biden was Vice President for 8 years. The world did not end when Trump was in power for 4 years. Regardless of who wins, I'm hopeful that safe and effective vaccines will be approved and available in the coming months. I'm hopeful that things will be getting much better with this pandemic maybe by April 1. No clue, just hopeful.

My perspective is that I cast my vote, and that's the extent of control I have on what happens Tuesday night. I'm going to fully support as President and Vice President of the United States whoever wins. I'm not going to complain about somebody stealing the election if my side doesn't win. That honestly reminds me of twerping about the refs. And even though twerping about the refs sometimes is justified dammit, it's ultimately bad for the country in this case IMO. And yes I want a free and fair election. Everyone does I would imagine.

Both sides are obviously supporting policies to swing turnout and votes in their favor. Coach K and Roy Williams both work the refs. Calls get made, and it's not productive or good for the country after the fact to say something was rigged or fixed when one's candidate loses a big presidential election. It's democracy, we vote, and if we want to be American citizens we should respect that the winner is the elected POTUS for that term. I would like to see people come back together as Americans after this election regardless of who wins.

Will I be pretty upset if my candidate loses?, absolutely. But I'm hopeful that I will not cry foul and will get over it. And that I will give my full support to Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and their team if they are elected Commanders in Chief or to Donald Trump, Mike Pence, and their team if they are. That is America and that is how it works. If things don't work out for my side this time around, I'll see how the winners do and then in 4 years I'll vote again.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others." Winston Churchill

Thank goodness this will be over soon! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

:twocents:
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » October 30th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Troublemaker wrote:

I have to believe that the American people are better than this....
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 30th, 2020, 12:57 pm

My prayer is for healing and unity no matter who wins.
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » October 30th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Sorry Troublemaker, but I don't know if I can deal with an election map prediction game this year. I enjoyed it in 2008 and 2012 when I thought the stakes weren't as high and that Obama, McCain, and Romney would all be decent presidents. I also hate hedging my rooting interests, so if I filled it out I would probably just paint the whole thing blue and get crushed in the game (hello, 2012 and 2014 bracket pools...).

I don't have any actual prediction. I will not be surprised if Trump wins, even if you're right and it's by a lot. I will not be surprised if Biden wins in a landslide. I will not be surprised if Trump finds a way to land the whole thing in the Supreme Court and wins that way. I will not be surprised if Trump pulls some undemocratic BS with faithless electors. I will not be surprised if Trump finds some other way to cheat that I haven't even thought of yet. I will not be surprised if things go smoother than I fear, and I will not be surprised if things are so bad that I don't feel safe traveling over the holidays.

Sorry for the lameness, I normally love these sorts of games.
richardjackson199
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by richardjackson199 » October 30th, 2020, 1:10 pm

OPK wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:57 pm
My prayer is for healing and unity no matter who wins.
Amen to that.

Regardless of who wins, there is actually still going to be a lot of good around us. Not to downplay any real issues, but catastrophizing thought patterns will be prevalent for those on the losing side, me included if my side loses. It's human nature. But in either case, I believe that we will see that things are actually better than we sometimes think.

@};-
dudog

Post by dudog » October 30th, 2020, 5:01 pm

You have to watch this. Sarah Cooper.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahcpr/sta ... 4621231105

Pretty impressive she got Helen Mirren to join in.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 30th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Just like my football game predictions (Duke 34, Charlotte 21) a complete waste of time but fun.

Biden wins with 296 EV. Biden will win all the Midwest states except Ohio. Trump will win all the Southern states except Virginia. North Carolina will be close due to all the relocated Yankees but the Evangelicals and Red Necks will carry the day for Trump.

This election is closer than the polls indicate so I will not be surprised if Trump wins. Disappointed but not surprised.
Troublemaker

Post by Troublemaker » October 30th, 2020, 7:38 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 8:57 am
From my perspective, you win graciously and lose graciously. You don't rub it in. Act like you've been there before. Coach K starts every press conference by saying something positive about the opponent, no matter how bad the loss was or how big the win was. To quote the Republican George Bush, why can't we have a "kinder, gentler nation?"

Who empowered you to set the ground rules? The folks OY clearly don't like your ground rules, and I'm not sure how our gracious hosts here feel about them either.

It is sad that this is what America has come to.
lol, cry more.

As if there wouldn't be dozens of "Where did all the shy Trump voters go hahahaha" posts if Biden wins. Heck, I would probably join in the chorus.

lighten up, Francis, and try to have some fun
Troublemaker

Post by Troublemaker » October 30th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Furniture wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Troublemaker wrote:

I have to believe that the American people are better than this....

Maybe, but I don't think the numbers are there to flip Virginia and Colorado for Trump.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » October 30th, 2020, 7:55 pm

No wonder he can’t post OY.

See ya guys....I am out..
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 30th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Now we know who the guy sitting on his bed weighing 400 pounds is.
Troublemaker

Post by Troublemaker » October 30th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Furniture wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 7:55 pm

lol, soft

you can call Trump and his supporters all kinds of names but can't handle my post above?
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 30th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Furniture wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Thank you for your support, Furniture. Troublemaker - it seems you are a party of one. Get over yourself. And find a new audience. We don't really care about your bets on the presidency or what a brilliant prognosticator you think you are. Your lack of self-awareness is absolutely astounding.

Wow. Now you are calling a woman you don't know fat. Stay classy.

I know the point of this site is not to be as anal about moderating as OY, and I appreciate that (Fuck yeah!) but can we please remove the turd from the punch bowl?