Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

mattman91
Part Time Student at PWing school

Ymm, Grilling

Post by mattman91 » October 26th, 2020, 1:15 pm

I know we have some grillers over here.

What are your favorite things to grill? I just bought a charcoal grill recently but I have only made burgers. Planning on grilling some lemon pepper chicken breasts this evening. Not confident enough to cook the expensive ribeyes just yet :chef:
:obscene-drinkingbuddies:
fuse
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Grilling

Post by fuse » October 26th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Experimentation along the way to experience is key.

If you want to be scientific, look into something like the Weber iGrill 2. You can buy up to 4 probes which will allow you to monitor grill and meat temperature.

Grilling for me is a mix of art and science.

You’ll develop that feel over time.

Buy some cheap steak, throw it in a ziploc bag with some red wine, worchester sauce, maybe some garlic and onion powder, and just a tiny bit of orange juice or pineapple juice (the enzymes in the juice will “soften” a tough cut of meat). Do this at least an hour, or up to 24 hours before you grill.

I’m no expert, I do enjoy grilling.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Since grilling, unlike BBQing, is a fairly fast process, the best results come from what kind of prep time you put in as opposed to the cooking process itself. Whether you marinate, brine, rub or simply salt and pepper, what you do ahead of time pays dividends for what comes off the grill.

Also, when you do get bold and move up to ribeyes, look into reverse searing a really thick cut of beef. It's a combo process of BBQ and grilling, and can be mouth watering delicious.

If you don't have one, get at least a grill basket, or some of the disposable mesh grill screens. (They will last for a few uses each.) It makes for a great way to cook your meats and veggies at same time. Kabobs are cool for presentation, but I like doing the exact same ingredients in a basket more, no matter whether it is chicken or beef.
One of my favorite, and very simple, things to grill are pork steaks. They are nicely sized to fill a plate, cheap, and naturally tasty without lots of seasoning needed.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 26th, 2020, 2:17 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 2:11 pm
One of my favorite, and very simple, things to grill are pork steaks. They are nicely sized to fill a plate, cheap, and naturally tasty without lots of seasoning needed.
I do a reverse-sear on my charcoal griller/smoker with extra thick pork chops. I salt them for an hour plus prior, out on the counter, to both season them and let them warm a bit. Then they go on the griller, which I treat as a smoker for the first ~40 minutes, then open the vents and let 'er rip. If I do it right (and I don't always), they come out tender and awesome.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm

My favorite thing to grill is Ribeye steaks. Season them with salt and pepper plus a touch of cayenne then grill them hot and fast.

For low and slow smoking, it is baby back ribs. I like to dry rub them: salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne and brown sugar. A couple times during cooking, squeeze some lime juice on them for moisture.

Chicken on the grill is so tasty. I like to use store bought marinade packs such as McCormick Grill Mates.

:-B
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2020, 4:08 pm

One of my favorite things to grill are appetizers. There are SO many fun recipes to try. Of course you have your classic chicken wingz, and our ABTs (jalapeno poppers) are a staple at our tailgates, but you can get really creative and have fun feeding a party with a variety of finger foods.
Nrrrrvous

Post by Nrrrrvous » October 26th, 2020, 5:10 pm

I'm with CBandB on the Pork Steaks. I'm with Bob on the ribeyes and the chicken breasts. Took me forever to figure out chicken breasts but now I can get them near perfect every time.
Someday I'm going to get a smoker. Then I'm going to need someone to teach me.
fuse

Post by fuse » October 26th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Nrrrrvous wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 5:10 pm
I'm with CBandB on the Pork Steaks. I'm with Bob on the ribeyes and the chicken breasts. Took me forever to figure out chicken breasts but now I can get them near perfect every time.
With you on the smoker- someday!
fuse

Post by fuse » October 26th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Answering the original question:

steak tips
pork chops
bratwurst
lamb lollipops

“Fake smoking” a pork butt low and slow on a grill

tuna steaks
salmon

Pretty much anything I can get my hands on.
I’m not great at grilling vegetables, have managed a few decent runs at jalapeno poppers.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2020, 6:00 pm

A thought on charcoal, have your standard briquettes, and also have a bag of lump hardwood charcoal. When you want/need a high heat, like over 500 degrees for a really good sear, the lump charcoal is a requirement. You can simply add it to your already existing fire when you need to raise the temp.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 26th, 2020, 6:35 pm

fuse wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 5:26 pm

tuna steaks
salmon
Fish on the grill is outstanding but a word of caution on tuna steaks. Do not overcook them. Tuna steaks are best cooked medium rare.

Actually, tuna is great raw. Break out the wasabi and soy sauce and let the party start.
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » October 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Nrrrrvous wrote:
Dinner plans changed this evening. I had too much to do today and didn't feel like cooking so we walked up to the neighborhood deli.

I feel like the hardest part about grilling chicken breasts will be the shape of the meat. Thicker on one side means the other side may cook too quickly.
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » October 26th, 2020, 6:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 6:00 pm
A thought on charcoal, have your standard briquettes, and also have a bag of lump hardwood charcoal. When you want/need a high heat, like over 500 degrees for a really good sear, the lump charcoal is a requirement. You can simply add it to your already existing fire when you need to raise the temp.
Good idea.

On another note, the grill starter blocks and chimney should be a requirement. I don't see how people skip that step.
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » October 26th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Bob Green wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 6:35 pm
fuse wrote:

tuna steaks
salmon
Fish on the grill is outstanding but a word of caution on tuna steaks. Do not overcook them. Tuna steaks are best cooked medium rare.

Actually, tuna is great raw. Break out the wasabi and soy sauce and let the party start.
Fish/seafood are the only things I don't eat, so I won't be doing that
:p
mattman91

Post by mattman91 » October 26th, 2020, 6:54 pm

fuse wrote:

steak tips
pork chops
bratwurst
lamb lollipops

tuna steaks
salmon

I’m not great at grilling vegetables, have managed a few decent runs at jalapeno poppers.
Any particular brand of bratwurst?
fuse

Post by fuse » October 26th, 2020, 7:14 pm

mattman91 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 6:54 pm
fuse wrote:

steak tips
pork chops
bratwurst
lamb lollipops

tuna steaks
salmon

Any particular brand of bratwurst?
I like Johnsonville brats, and we also get a lot of local farmer sausage.
fuse

Post by fuse » October 26th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Bob Green wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 6:35 pm
fuse wrote:

tuna steaks
salmon

With you on both counts!
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 26th, 2020, 7:32 pm

N.Y. strip. Rare.

Really become a fan of reverse searing, which means building a nice fire for very little time but I stand by it. Cast-iron skillet on the grill with butter and thyme baste.
Nrrrrvous

Post by Nrrrrvous » October 26th, 2020, 7:40 pm

mattman91 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm
Nrrrrvous wrote:
Dinner plans changed this evening. I had too much to do today and didn't feel like cooking so we walked up to the neighborhood deli.

I feel like the hardest part about grilling chicken breasts will be the shape of the meat. Thicker on one side means the other side may cook too quickly.
RE - Chicken breasts - that was my problem for a long time. The thin parts got overdone while you try to get the thick parts cooked. then someone taught me to beat the hell out of the thick parts with a meat mallet until the entire breast is about a 1/2 in thick. Now they cook perfectly...

"How can you have any pudding if you don't beat your meat?" (Whaddaya mean that's not how the song goes?) :fight: :Hammer: :animals-chickencatch:
LegoBatman
PW in training
PW in training

Post by LegoBatman » October 26th, 2020, 7:43 pm

mattman91 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm
Nrrrrvous wrote:

Cut the breasts into two pieces and pound them out so they are uniform thickness. With a typical boneless/skinless breast, I think about a third of the way down from the thickest end makes a good spot to cut in two and end up with a piece that fits well on a bun.

Learned that tip this summer. The article also suggested oiling the grates for chicken.