Vick to the Iggles

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Vick to the Iggles

Post by Bostondevil » August 13th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:We need a prediction from BD as to how many games the Falcons will win in the regular season.
Nah, I'm resting on my genuis laurels for at least two more seasons. Matt Ryan can only be that big of a surprise once. I'll predict that the Falcons make the playoffs again, if you like.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » August 14th, 2009, 7:33 am

wilson wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I don't wish him success, but not really failure, either. I dislike him almost as much for being a dumbass and embarrassing the Falcons and my city as for the dogfighting itself. I'll be interested to see how the Eagles work him into their offense.
They should put him in as a running back, it would seem that is where he will be most lethal. Otherwise he is a wasted talent who doesn't get along with his team and definitely believes in the "I" in teamwork. It will be interesting how he takes up with Philly though
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 14th, 2009, 8:43 am

I'm glad he's not on the Redskins.

I'm looking forward to seeing dog-loving linebackers and defensive linemen take their shots.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 14th, 2009, 8:45 am

Miles wrote:I'm glad he's not on the Redskins.

I'm looking forward to seeing dog-loving linebackers and defensive linemen take their shots.
I'm interested to see if those players can now catch up to him. Amid all the other offensive weapons the Iggles have, he could be really dangerous. I have no idea how many games he'll actually get to play, but Philly might be the team to beat in the NFC now (they may have been even before the Vick signing).
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 14th, 2009, 8:50 am

wilson wrote:

I'm interested to see if those players can now catch up to him. Amid all the other offensive weapons the Iggles have, he could be really dangerous. I have no idea how many games he'll actually get to play, but Philly might be the team to beat in the NFC now (they may have been even before the Vick signing).
Seriously, though - agree with above. Some puppy-loving defensive player is going to break his leg.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 14th, 2009, 8:56 am

Shammrog wrote:Seriously, though - agree with above. Some puppy-loving defensive player is going to break his leg.
I think it is going to be a PR nightmare. Every dog/animal group in the known universe is in gear up mode. Look for PETA to do something over the top (big fan of animals - PETA ... not so much).

On one hand I 'get' the 'he's served his time' logic. On the other hand, if I were convicted of similar crimes and served my time I know my employer wouldn't be hiring me back. I'd be lucky to get a job at the corner convenience store. I guess I would have to apply to work for the NFL since they are so forgiving about hiring convicted felons.

Frankly the thought of him making millions and playing again makes me :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 14th, 2009, 9:00 am

windsor wrote: On one hand I 'get' the 'he's served his time' logic. On the other hand, if I were convicted of similar crimes and served my time I know my employer wouldn't be hiring me back. I'd be lucky to get a job at the corner convenience store. I guess I would have to apply to work for the NFL since they are so forgiving about hiring convicted felons.
I totally agree. This was exactly my point in our previous thread about this matter.
Ditto on the bit about protests, etc. Hope the Eagles are ready for a (weekly) mess.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 14th, 2009, 9:01 am

wilson wrote:
windsor wrote: On one hand I 'get' the 'he's served his time' logic. On the other hand, if I were convicted of similar crimes and served my time I know my employer wouldn't be hiring me back. I'd be lucky to get a job at the corner convenience store. I guess I would have to apply to work for the NFL since they are so forgiving about hiring convicted felons.
I totally agree. This was exactly my point in our previous thread about this matter.
Ditto on the bit about protests, etc. Hope the Eagles are ready for a (weekly) mess.
You should see ally my old friends from Philly on Facebook.... the outrage is palpable. I'm wondering if it will really translate into people not going to games or buying merchandise (what the ownership really cares about, of course).
-- DukeUsul
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 14th, 2009, 9:08 am

DukeUsul wrote:You should see ally my old friends from Philly on Facebook.... the outrage is palpable. I'm wondering if it will really translate into people not going to games or buying merchandise (what the ownership really cares about, of course).
I can only hope so. Sometimes any PR is better than none - if the protests etc generate more ratings for the TV games,purchasing a Vick jersey for the protests, and people buying tickets to make an anti-Vick statement that still puts more $ in the Eagles pockets. Season ticket holders cancelling - that gets their attention. Drop in merchandise - same thing.

I've heard some of the groups are going to lean on Lincoln Financial (who names the field) not sure what good that would do - that would depend on how much long they own the naming rights. I know that is big dollars - but does it go to the Eagles or the city?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 14th, 2009, 11:00 am

knights68 wrote:
wilson wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I don't wish him success, but not really failure, either. I dislike him almost as much for being a dumbass and embarrassing the Falcons and my city as for the dogfighting itself. I'll be interested to see how the Eagles work him into their offense.
They should put him in as a running back, it would seem that is where he will be most lethal. Otherwise he is a wasted talent who doesn't get along with his team and definitely believes in the "I" in teamwork. It will be interesting how he takes up with Philly though
Given McNabb's injury history, don't you think that Vick will get some playing time at QB? In the meantime, he may be filling the role of Kordell Stewart a few years ago on the Steelers.

The trouble is, Vick is WAY different from McNabb, and a McNabb-centered offense may not run well with a mediocre passer like Vick (I say mediocre, based on his performance with the Falcons).

I suspect he will do well for a few games, IF he learns the offense. /:) But if I recall correctly, Vick was also very injury prone when he was with the Falcons. Perhaps the time off in the pen has helped him heal. Beats me.

Deep down, I simply do not see how this move helps the Eagles. And WHAT a media storm! Bad move. :-q L-)

Vick may have served his time, but he really deserves our pirate's "punch in the junk." :ar!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 14th, 2009, 11:05 am

Lavabe wrote: Vick may have served his time, but he really deserves our pirate's "punch in the junk." :ar!
I'd rather have Walter bite him in the junk. :o3
Miles

Post by Miles » August 14th, 2009, 11:51 am

wilson wrote:

I was thinking it would be interesting to see if Vick could stay a step ahead of them. Linebackers in the NFL are gaining more and more speed and I'd put my money on a seasoned, well-conditioned linebacker any day over a QB that hasn't taken a live snap in over two years.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 14th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Nah, I'm resting on my genuis laurels for at least two more seasons. Matt Ryan can only be that big of a surprise once. I'll predict that the Falcons make the playoffs again, if you like.
That's a bold prediction, BD. The Falcons are trying to break a bad streak. They have NEVER before had consecutive playoff seasons. And I'm struggling to think of the last time they had consecutive winning seasons.

However, I think you're right.

NOTE: Sunday, December 6. Atlanta plays at Philadelphia.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 14th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I'm willing to give the guy a second chance. Am really hoping he has straightened up and will fly right.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 14th, 2009, 2:50 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I'm willing to give the guy a second chance. Am really hoping he has straightened up and will fly right.

You are more forgiving soul than I am - some bells can't be unrung - my training club made a donation to the good folks at DogTown who tried to rehabilitate the Vick dogs, and I know what kind of shape they were in. I don't believe Vick for a second when he says he made a 'terrible mistake' (unless the mistake was gettting caught) I think he's doing what he has to do to save what is left of his career.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 14th, 2009, 4:08 pm

windsor wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I'm willing to give the guy a second chance. Am really hoping he has straightened up and will fly right.

You are more forgiving soul than I am - some bells can't be unrung - my training club made a donation to the good folks at DogTown who tried to rehabilitate the Vick dogs, and I know what kind of shape they were in. I don't believe Vick for a second when he says he made a 'terrible mistake' (unless the mistake was gettting caught) I think he's doing what he has to do to save what is left of his career.
Which I think any one of us would do if we were in his shoes, so to speak. Granted his career is far more lucrative than mine, and I'd probably start out at a lower pay than what I've been making, as I think he is too.

The things that are allowing me to feel this way is Tony Dungy's work with Vick, I completely trust Dungy, and the president of a national humane society have both spoken out for Vick.

Vick is lucky he is being offered a second chance. I sincerely hope he doesn't blow it.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 14th, 2009, 4:23 pm

TillyGalore wrote: The things that are allowing me to feel this way is Tony Dungy's work with Vick, I completely trust Dungy, and the president of a national humane society have both spoken out for Vick.

Vick is lucky he is being offered a second chance. I sincerely hope he doesn't blow it.
I love Dungy - (remember...I'm in Tampa...you know, the team that screwed him over) and I'm sure Tony thinks he can help him.

I can not forgive someone who had party to dog fighting - the way the animals are treated and the things they do to innocent dogs to train the fighters literaly makes me cry when I think about it. It also makes me quite sick. It isn't like he went to one fight with some buddies to watch and it was raided (that would qualify as a 'mistake')...he funded the kennel...killed dogs...

....exiting stage left before I launch on to a graphic description of exactly how they train fighting dogs..... x_x %-(

I still love ya though Tilly...you...you....bleeding heart CAT person :D :D :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 14th, 2009, 4:30 pm

windsor wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: The things that are allowing me to feel this way is Tony Dungy's work with Vick, I completely trust Dungy, and the president of a national humane society have both spoken out for Vick.

I love Dungy - (remember...I'm in Tampa...you know, the team that screwed him over) and I'm sure Tony thinks he can help him.

I can not forgive someone who had party to dog fighting - the way the animals are treated and the things they do to innocent dogs to train the fighters literaly makes me cry when I think about it. It also makes me quite sick. It isn't like he went to one fight with some buddies to watch and it was raided (that would qualify as a 'mistake')...he funded the kennel...killed dogs...

....exiting stage left before I launch on to a graphic description of exactly how they train fighting dogs..... x_x %-(

I still love ya though Tilly...you...you....bleeding heart CAT person :D :D :D
"Bleeding heart CAT person" I love it!!! Don't forget, I do have a soft spot for rescued greyhounds, and will have one some day.

I certainly don't approve of what he did (I know you're not questioning me on that), and it disgusts me what he and his crew put those dogs through. I'm not sure I would have ever him over to my house for dinner. But, if I'm going to ask others to forgive me for something, or hope for a second chance if I fall, then I need to do the same for others.

Now, if he does it again. Throw his ass out of the league and back in jail.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 14th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:That's a bold prediction, BD. The Falcons are trying to break a bad streak. They have NEVER before had consecutive playoff seasons. And I'm struggling to think of the last time they had consecutive winning seasons.
They've never done either.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 14th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Before the season started last year, I predicted 10 wins. So I was off by one. Who is going to beat the Falcons in the NFC South? The Panthers?
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!