Biden won, it's over --- The Election Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

JWill Stan
PW in training
PW in training

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by JWill Stan » September 28th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Interesting detailed thread by Forbes senior editor on Noted Chode's finances https://twitter.com/DanAlexander21/stat ... 1336284160
Detrumpify FTW
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 28th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Efforts to focus the preparation-averse Trump on the upcoming debate have occurred in sporadic bursts, including one 30-minute session last weekend. This past Sunday they resumed with a short question-and-answer period utilizing the flashcards campaign advisers prepared to try and hone what have so far been unwieldy attempts to define Democratic rival Joe Biden. Trump did less than two hours of prep total, a person familiar told CNN.
I'm not saying he's setting himself up for disaster, but he's totally setting himself up for disaster. I'm assuming he figures "off the cuff" is his strong point, but I will not be surprised at all if Biden is having Trump's lunch for dinner.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/28/politics ... index.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 28th, 2020, 11:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 10:28 pm
Efforts to focus the preparation-averse Trump on the upcoming debate have occurred in sporadic bursts, including one 30-minute session last weekend. This past Sunday they resumed with a short question-and-answer period utilizing the flashcards campaign advisers prepared to try and hone what have so far been unwieldy attempts to define Democratic rival Joe Biden. Trump did less than two hours of prep total, a person familiar told CNN.
I'm not saying he's setting himself up for disaster, but he's totally setting himself up for disaster. I'm assuming he figures "off the cuff" is his strong point, but I will not be surprised at all if Biden is having Trump's lunch for dinner.

The problem is that Trump could walk out there and drool on himself and be unable to speak in complete sentences with words greater than two syllables and a huge portion of the country would continue to blindly support him and question Biden's mental ability. These people have been completely brainwashed. Then there are those who are just so selfish that all they care about is their bank accounts.

I saw a great posting on Facebook tonight (words I never thought I'd say!) about how to handle any hearings that might occur for Barrett. It is a waste of time to ask about her qualifications and her opinions on major issues - she will dance around them. Instead ask about her legal opinion on major laws that Trump has blatantly broken. Most likely, she will punt and say she needs to know more details. But it gives the Dems a platform to remind the nation what a scumbag Trump is. And they don't come across as harassing Barrett.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » September 29th, 2020, 12:39 am

Trump will flail about here and there, possibly even score a point occasionally with a remark that will come across as clever to the unclever.

Possibly/probably he will refer to Biden’s age, implying senility, etc.

As Biden will have prepared thoroughly, he will know this is coming. I trust his prep team has played out response scenarios. It strikes me that Biden should hold his fire and not mention Trump’s immaturity — until Trump raises the issue of Biden’s age. At and to which point, Biden should respond: “I’m counting on the voters to prefer my experience as a mature, commonsense adult to the daily tantrums of my opponent, who has shown repeatedly he has the temperament of a 3-year old. This country faces multiple deep problems in the coming decade. We need an adult in the White House.”
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 29th, 2020, 7:40 am

gumbomoop wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 12:39 am
Trump will flail about here and there, possibly even score a point occasionally with a remark that will come across as clever to the unclever.

Possibly/probably he will refer to Biden’s age, implying senility, etc.

As Biden will have prepared thoroughly, he will know this is coming. I trust his prep team has played out response scenarios. It strikes me that Biden should hold his fire and not mention Trump’s immaturity — until Trump raises the issue of Biden’s age. At and to which point, Biden should respond: “I’m counting on the voters to prefer my experience as a mature, commonsense adult to the daily tantrums of my opponent, who has shown repeatedly he has the temperament of a 3-year old. This country faces multiple deep problems in the coming decade. We need an adult in the White House.”
This is a great idea. I’m a fan. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 29th, 2020, 7:49 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 11:52 pm

The problem is that Trump could walk out there and drool on himself and be unable to speak in complete sentences with words greater than two syllables and a huge portion of the country would continue to blindly support him and question Biden's mental ability. These people have been completely brainwashed. Then there are those who are just so selfish that all they care about is their bank accounts.

I saw a great posting on Facebook tonight (words I never thought I'd say!) about how to handle any hearings that might occur for Barrett. It is a waste of time to ask about her qualifications and her opinions on major issues - she will dance around them. Instead ask about her legal opinion on major laws that Trump has blatantly broken. Most likely, she will punt and say she needs to know more details. But it gives the Dems a platform to remind the nation what a scumbag Trump is. And they don't come across as harassing Barrett.
Sadly, your assessment with regard to Trump’s debate performance is spot-on. That’s what happened in 2016. Most of his answers were word salad, and people like my dad thought he was great and clearly won. QAnon followers believe he is speaking to them in code. Mass brainwashing is my conclusion as well.

With regard to the Barrett questioning, I saw the same post and also like the proposed strategy. For those who haven’t seen it, the author proposed asking her about fun topics like collusion, emoluments, and the Hatch Act. Basically, any and all of the many illegal actions committed by Trump and members of his administration. There’s enough to keep them busy for a LONG time. I would like to see the Democrats turn Kamala Harris loose with this mission.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » September 29th, 2020, 12:44 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 7:49 am
I would like to see the Democrats turn Kamala Harris loose with this mission.
I would prefer Kamala to play a strictly legal role here and ONLY ask legal viewpoint questions. Nothing that can be seen as a political attack. She needs to stay incredibly professional and not give the opposition reason to show up and vote specifically against her. She has to do aggressive questioning, I agree, but it has to be one professional to another. It's a tough walk she's going to have to do. I think she's more than capable of doing it, though.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 29th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Ooof, that debate was insane.
Gonna take a while to decompress.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » September 29th, 2020, 10:54 pm

That wasn't a "debate" in any traditional use of that word.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 29th, 2020, 11:22 pm

I don't even know where to begin other than I have now reached new lows in terms of my willingness to interact anyone who supports Trump and can defend his childish behavior. That was a true embarrassment for America. I give Wallace credit for trying to shut Trump up. He made some effort to get Trump to actually answer questions, but he could have done more. And several times Trump interrupted and went off on tangents about Biden and he forced Biden to reply - he should have excused Biden or given him free reign to decide whether or not he wanted to answer.

Good old MattMan OY defended Trump's lack of disdain for the Proud Boys. And I will probably get dinged for calling him out.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 29th, 2020, 11:44 pm

The "debate" will be remembered for two things mostly.

Chaos, and Trump telling the Proud Boys to "Stand By".

When you are down in the polls by almost double digits, that's not the "show" you want to put on. I think the Biden camp is very happy tonight.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » September 29th, 2020, 11:57 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:22 pm
I don't even know where to begin other than I have now reached new lows in terms of my willingness to interact anyone who supports Trump and can defend his childish behavior. That was a true embarrassment for America. I give Wallace credit for trying to shut Trump up. He made some effort to get Trump to actually answer questions, but he could have done more. And several times Trump interrupted and went off on tangents about Biden and he forced Biden to reply - he should have excused Biden or given him free reign to decide whether or not he wanted to answer.

Good old MattMan OY defended Trump's lack of disdain for the Proud Boys. And I will probably get dinged for calling him out.
I don’t know. About the only thing he could have done more would Have been shutting it down.. “Ok boys. Let’s stop right now”!
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 30th, 2020, 12:06 am

Furniture wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:57 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 11:22 pm

I don’t know. About the only thing he could have done more would Have been shutting it down.. “Ok boys. Let’s stop right now”!
Don't make me pull this car over!
Furniture

Post by Furniture » September 30th, 2020, 12:27 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTr ... 3472636928

Two against one according to the loser...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 30th, 2020, 12:32 am

Furniture wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:27 am
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTr ... 3472636928

Two against one according to the loser...
Chris Wallace? ;)
Furniture

Post by Furniture » September 30th, 2020, 1:53 am

I still can’t sleep. As I lie here I have made one brilliant decision (that’s the tRump in me). I WILL NOT WATCH ANOTHER ONE OF THESE DEBATES! Life is too short...
cato
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by cato » September 30th, 2020, 2:29 am

September 29th, 2020, 10:47 pm
Ooof, that debate was insane.
Gonna take a while to decompress.
We made it through 45 minutes as a family. I watched more after the kids went to bed. I finally had enough, thinking I had watched 90% of the chaos when I turned it off. DVR said I was half way through.

God bless anyone who made it all the way to the end. You have the intestinal fortitude to eat salad anywhere in the world.
cato

Post by cato » September 30th, 2020, 2:32 am

Furniture wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 1:53 am
I still can’t sleep. As I lie here I have made one brilliant decision (that’s the tRump in me). I WILL NOT WATCH ANOTHER ONE OF THESE DEBATES! Life is too short...
This reminds me of my last really bad hangover when I swore I would never, ever drink again.

My wife didn’t even smirk. She just ignored me.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 30th, 2020, 8:43 am

I watched the whole thing - I'm a glutton for punishment. And I could not sleep at all last night. I am horrified.

Of the many things that were going through my brain last night was that Trump continues to campaign like he is running against an incumbent. If there are all these problems in America, why hasn't he done anything about it? I know that a lot of the voting process is managed at the state and local level, but if it is so bad, why didn't he do something? If the cities are such a nightmare, do something about it. He takes credit for all the victories and blames others for the problems. I have met people like this in my life and tried to stay really far away from them. Unfortunately, others don't seem to feel the same way.

He and his people seem to be blaming Wallace for everything. Wallace was far from perfect, but I think he was truly trying and was honest. And he comes from Fox News. If we manage to have a third debate, what do you think Trump will say about a female moderator from NBC?

One other random thought. Biden let Trump off way too easy on his taxes - Trump changed the topic and Biden (and Wallace) let him go with it. There were a few other times where Trump changed the topic and Biden didn't revert. But Biden was doing the best he could to stand up to Trump and stay on message. Also, the states where mail-in ballots aren't opened until election day really need to change their laws.

Now off to moderate remote schooling for my six year old...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 30th, 2020, 8:53 am

If nothing else, those who braved the whole thing watched history.
My guess is that kids will be learning about this debate just as we did with Nixon/Kennedy.