Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 11:55 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:48 am
I'm glad to see the Federalist Society guy stand up, but that is not enough - let's see what he does when it is time to vote.
I think over time though, while each of these conservative voices speaking out is only a drop in the proverbial bucket, that bucket will start to have some weight to it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
JWill Stan
PW in training
PW in training

Post by JWill Stan » July 31st, 2020, 12:01 pm

Take 2 - for some reason after previewing my post, it vanished. I promise it was quite intelligent and pithy. This one, should it succeed, won't be as good, alas.

First - thanks for spawning this from what was clearly becoming a strained thread over at DBR. As I told Jason, he is in a no-win situation over there.

Second - I echo a few of the commenters here and am glad we can call a fascist a fascist and a liar a liar here without warnings or other finger-wagging.

In my previous post I included a link to a Vanity Fair article that exposes the corrupt incompetency of the lack of pandemic response, and lays a lot of the blame on Jared:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07 ... o-thin-air

The kicker for me was the reference to the "political strategy" of thinking the virus would be limited to "blue" states, which is both insane, stupid, and beyond incompetent. Fuckers:
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.
Lastly - I will once again put in a plug for the DeTrumpify chrome extension which got me a warning over there - it continues to be a source of joy, and yes I am 12

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... n?hl=en-US
Detrumpify FTW
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 12:10 pm

JWill Stan wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:01 pm
The kicker for me was the reference to the "political strategy" of thinking the virus would be limited to "blue" states, which is both insane, stupid, and beyond incompetent.
There is a delicious irony in how that has backfired. It was predictable, of course, but still. There is a reason that states such as Texas and Georgia are even being whispered about now, and it rests solely on their listening to Trump and following his lead.
JWill Stan wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:01 pm
Lastly - I will once again put in a plug for the DeTrumpify chrome extension which got me a warning over there - it continues to be a source of joy, and yes I am 12
I was very tempted to put up a completely nonsensical "Trump" post just for your enjoyment.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2020, 12:19 pm

The new Lincoln Project video is long but brilliant;

https://youtu.be/4TogbPPyQQM

Is the dad played by Stephen Root?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 12:27 pm

OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:19 pm
The new Lincoln Project video is long but brilliant;

https://youtu.be/4TogbPPyQQM

Is the dad played by Stephen Root?
I totally think that is Root. And the ad is great. It is directed by Jon Turteltaub, who made Cool Runnings (guilty pleasure movie), While You Were Sleeping and Phenomenon.

In other less joyful news, this is a poll of folks asking if they will accept DJTs defeat if he happens to lose. It does not paint a pretty picture for November 4th.
Voters who support Trump, meanwhile, share their candidate’s unfounded suspicions about postal balloting, with a full 55 percent saying they would not “accept the result” if Biden wins “because of an advantage in mail-in votes.” Only 21 percent say they would accept a Biden victory under those circumstances.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-yahoo-ne ... 28759.html
Still_mtn_devil
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Still_mtn_devil » July 31st, 2020, 12:29 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:24 am
OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:40 am
Furniture wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:34 am
I bet Trump was glad he didn’t go to John Lewis’s funeral yesterday. Imagine listening to all of that. I really enjoyed listening to the three presidents!
It was jarring to hear the civility of a political opponent like W give a great eulogy. I forgot what that sounded like, it is so absent these days.
That's very true. I was not a Bush fan (both), but they had my respect. I ridiculed him for his "Mission Accomplished" moment, but also appreciated his leadership at times such as 9/11. And after leaving office, like Clinton, Carter, and Obama, he has been admirable when he has chosen to speak.
Once upon a time I thought GWB was the worst president I would ever experience. Seems quaint now.

I genuinely admire how he has conducted himself post-presidency. Like many former POTUS, the weight of the office and age has mellowed him out substantially.

I suspect DJT may be as unconventional a former president as he has been a president.
It feels weird being the "new guy," but trust me, I'm not really "new."
OPK

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2020, 12:37 pm

Still_mtn_devil wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:29 pm
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:24 am
OPK wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:40 am

It was jarring to hear the civility of a political opponent like W give a great eulogy. I forgot what that sounded like, it is so absent these days.
That's very true. I was not a Bush fan (both), but they had my respect. I ridiculed him for his "Mission Accomplished" moment, but also appreciated his leadership at times such as 9/11. And after leaving office, like Clinton, Carter, and Obama, he has been admirable when he has chosen to speak.
Once upon a time I thought GWB was the worst president I would ever experience. Seems quaint now.

I genuinely admire how he has conducted himself post-presidency. Like many former POTUS, the weight of the office and age has mellowed him out substantially.

I suspect DJT may be as unconventional a former president as he has been a president.
Something tells me that the other ex-Presidents won’t let Trump play their little reindeer games.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 1:52 pm

Anyone have Karen Bass a top tier contender for VP pick a month ago?
I didn't even know who she is back then.
In more than two dozen interviews with CNN in recent days, members of Congress, top Democratic donors, Biden allies and others close to the vice presidential vetting process said California Rep. Karen Bass, the 66-year-old chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, has gained real traction in the late stage of the search. Amid furious last-minute lobbying and speculation about Biden's historic decision, California Sen. Kamala Harris and Susan Rice, Barack Obama's former national security adviser, are also believed to be among the most serious contenders.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics ... index.html
mattman91
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by mattman91 » July 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm

Thanks CBB. Haven't been on this site in quite a while.

I'm mostly a lurker on the DBR political threads, and that will probably be the case here. Being a libertarian, I have no "dog in the fight".

I must admit, though, I was felt a little sick to my stomach reading to gushy posts about W. Fuck that guy, he was a genocidal asshole.

Not directed at anyone here, but I feel that many people on the left have some weird new infatuation with him because he is anti-Trump. I'm no big Trump fan, but at least the guy has been very anti war. I find it odd that lefties think Trump's tweeting is somehow more offensive than being directly responsible for 100s of thousands of innocent lives.
Last edited by mattman91 on July 31st, 2020, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:obscene-drinkingbuddies:
JWill Stan
PW in training
PW in training

Post by JWill Stan » July 31st, 2020, 2:10 pm

I feel that many people on the left have some weird new infatuation with him because he is anti-Baby Dick. I'm no big Human Turd fan, but at least the guy has been very anti war.
I agree about Bush - normalizing W is just part of the continuum of what led to Dolt45. Although not sure I'd characterize Scrooge McCheetoh as being "very anti war" - Bolton boltin' helped that.

mattman's trump refs detrumpified
detrump.png
detrump.png (9.09 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Detrumpify FTW
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 31st, 2020, 2:14 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 8:40 am
Is it acceptable to label Trump a pathological liar who lies both outrageously and matter-of-factly every day?

Is that name-calling based on mere opinion? Would I need to cite WaPo’s daily updating on the number of lies?
This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

That said, Donald Trump is a despicable excuse of a human being. He has no morals, ethics nor integrity. He lies and cheats at will. He views life as a game to be won at all costs, and the only rules are "Trump's rules".

Ahhh! That felt good!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » July 31st, 2020, 3:34 pm

mattman91 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm
Being a libertarian, I have no "dog in the fight.”
There seem to be lots of different kinds of libertarians, just as there are different kinds of Repubs and Dems. So, depending on exactly what are your core libertarian views, one might venture a tentative effort to persuade you that you definitely do have a dog in this fight

I take it, for instance, that the several actual, as opposed to spurious, conservatives, those such as the Lincoln Project who are running ads trying to defeat Trump, are doing so because they think, as do I, that Trump is an existential threat to our constitutional democratic republic. Perhaps some/many libertarians think Repubs and Dems generally and equally pose an ongoing threat to our constitutional democratic republic, so Trump’s no different.

Others of us think he’s — literally, in the entire history of the American Presidency — uniquely different, uniquely dangerous, for several dozen reasons across multiple categories, personal, cultural, economic, and political.
Bluedog

Post by Bluedog » July 31st, 2020, 4:13 pm

Check out this current map:
https://electoral-vote.com/
Biden 388 - Trump 150

Holy cow if that comes to pass. Still don't believe that TX and GA will go Biden.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » July 31st, 2020, 4:15 pm

Thought about registering with username "Wheat" just to mess with your heads.

Will start with a vanilla post, but don't get used to it.

NYT does a rundown of lobbying for the VP slot. My main takeaway: Maybe Kamala isn't the frontrunner.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
JV001

Post by JV001 » July 31st, 2020, 5:03 pm

Thanks for the invite. As for the Presidential Election, I don't see how Trump can come back from being so far down in the polls. I know anything can happen but it's going to take something really BIGGGGGGGG for Biden not to win election. My main fear with Trump in office for another four years is how his temper could come into play if things don't go his way on foreign affairs. That and how his big mouth is unfit for POTUS. Once again, thanks for the invite.
hml1959

Post by hml1959 » July 31st, 2020, 5:11 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 2:14 pm

That said, Donald Trump is a despicable excuse of a human being. He has no morals, ethics nor integrity. He lies and cheats at will. He views life as a game to be won at all costs, and the only rules are "Trump's rules".

Ahhh! That felt good!
Felt good to read it as well!
OPK

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2020, 5:29 pm

Preparing the life boats ahead of abandoning the ship?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics ... index.html
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » July 31st, 2020, 7:46 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:21 am
Trump is a fascist, ran a fascist-themed campaign in 2016. Those themes included (but were not limited to) the following: great nation in historical decline, national humiliation, fear of insidious Others (e.g., immigrants, Muslims), national rebirth project led by strongman-leader. For good reason, fascists and neo-Nazis think he’s one of them.
Fascist or autocrat is the best word to describe Trump (ah, yes, that did feel good to say... thanks CBB!). I don't even view it as a left vs right thing. At... that other place... there is constant talk about there being more liberals than conservatives. I'm not sure that's even true. I don't consider myself overly liberal (I vastly prefer Biden to Sanders, for example). I suspect many of the anti-Trump voices there are moderate, slightly liberal, slightly conservative, or even Lincoln Project-esque Republicans. Sigh.

I once posted in the Kim Jung Un thread earlier this year a classic, absurd dictator story about him cheating at golf in a hilariously obvious and fascist way. Except my actual story was word-for-word about Trump. No one noticed because the two men are indistinguishable.
OPK

Post by OPK » July 31st, 2020, 8:34 pm

Wander wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:46 pm
I don't even view it as a left vs right thing. At... that other place... there is constant talk about there being more liberals than conservatives. I'm not sure that's even true. I don't consider myself overly liberal (I vastly prefer Biden to Sanders, for example). I suspect many of the anti-Trump voices there are moderate, slightly liberal, slightly conservative, or even Lincoln Project-esque Republicans. Sigh.
I think that is true.

FWIW I am an Independent and voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 because Georgia was not in play. I wouldn’t vote for Sweet Potato Hitler If my nuts were in a vice. He makes Roy Williams look honest.

I’m not the only one.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2020, 9:01 pm

Wander wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:46 pm
At... that other place...
For future reference, it has always been called "Over Yonder", or "OY" for short. :p