Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Moral Support Needed

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 8:33 am

GO WINDSOR!!!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-bd :-bd :-bd

We know you can do it, and we're all right here, backing you up!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2009, 8:47 am

Forgot to ask Boston Devil - quit buddy how goes the quest to be (nearly) caffine free??
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 12th, 2009, 9:17 am

Vibes and :ymhug: to you on Quit Day. I know you can do it - just think of your puppies.

Perhaps being chased by that smoking Komodo dragon?
Life is good!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 12th, 2009, 9:35 am

I'm rooting for you Windsor. I hope all goes well today.

As someone else (Lavabe?) in thread stated:

Let's go Windsor! clap, clap, clap, clap clap
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 12th, 2009, 9:55 am

windsor wrote:Today is quit day. Last cigarette was 10 pm last night.l Not too bad so far - having tried to quit before using the patch (also tried cold turkey) this is way easier. Usually the first day or two is the worst. I smoke when I drive (correction I chained smokeD when I drove) so I was 'smoking' a coffee straw on the way in to work. Seems to work pretty well. Other drivers in traffic looked at me a bit funny but what hte hell. Tic Tacs, crunchy snacks, cough drops (I will hack more in the next week then I ever ever did smoking) lots a water...ready to do battle.

I read something last week about lizard brains and addiction (http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html) the science isn't exaclty solid but the concept isn't far off. My craving visualization includes a slimey drooling Komodo dragon with about 10 cigarettes jammed in his mouth.

The support is really appreciated guys...I haven't killed anybody....yet. :D
Good luck today, Windsor! We're with you all the way! Quit quit quit quit quit!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 12th, 2009, 9:59 am

windsor wrote:Today is quit day. Last cigarette was 10 pm last night.l Not too bad so far - having tried to quit before using the patch (also tried cold turkey) this is way easier. Usually the first day or two is the worst. I smoke when I drive (correction I chained smokeD when I drove) so I was 'smoking' a coffee straw on the way in to work. Seems to work pretty well. Other drivers in traffic looked at me a bit funny but what hte hell. Tic Tacs, crunchy snacks, cough drops (I will hack more in the next week then I ever ever did smoking) lots a water...ready to do battle.

I read something last week about lizard brains and addiction (http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html) the science isn't exaclty solid but the concept isn't far off. My craving visualization includes a slimey drooling Komodo dragon with about 10 cigarettes jammed in his mouth.

The support is really appreciated guys...I haven't killed anybody....yet. :D
I'm telling you, if it gets TOO hard, try the e-cigs. They really do work.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2009, 10:18 am

bjornolf wrote:
I'm telling you, if it gets TOO hard, try the e-cigs. They really do work.

%%-
I will!! They are 'Plan B'. Right now, still toughing out Plan A - not too bad. Just took a walk around the complex instead of my morning smoke break (had to go through the smoking area-did NOT mug anyone for a cigarette - actually didn't really bother me)

I have the Chantix Get-Quit program hotline programmed into my phone (live person 7 am to midnight EST) to talk me off the ledge if need be.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 12th, 2009, 10:25 am

windsor wrote:Forgot to ask Boston Devil - quit buddy how goes the quest to be (nearly) caffine free??
If you need help with the caffeine stuff, BD, just holler!! I've been through it.

If you HAVE to go to Starbuck's, check out the nofat vanilla rooibos latte.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 12th, 2009, 10:29 am

windsor wrote:Forgot to ask Boston Devil - quit buddy how goes the quest to be (nearly) caffine free??
Wow, I never said I was giving up caffeine! Just soda. I'm on Day 4 and I'm dreaming of Coca-Cola. But remember, I'm allowing myself 2 a month so I'm just holding out until I can't take it anymore then I'm drinking one.

Caffeine just isn't that bad for you. I'm not giving it up. Tea though, not coffee. Coffee, yuck. I'm having a cup of Barry's Irish Breakfast tea right now (with milk).
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 12th, 2009, 10:39 am

Bostondevil wrote:
Wow, I never said I was giving up caffeine! Just soda. I'm on Day 4 and I'm dreaming of Coca-Cola. But remember, I'm allowing myself 2 a month so I'm just holding out until I can't take it anymore then I'm drinking one.

Caffeine just isn't that bad for you. I'm not giving it up. Tea though, not coffee. Coffee, yuck. I'm having a cup of Barry's Irish Breakfast tea right now (with milk).
Ymm, Barry's Irish Breakfast tea. I have bags of it in my desk at work.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2009, 11:00 am

Bostondevil wrote:

Sorry my bad! I know you are doing two a month (hence the 'nearly' part) ... I've switched from coffee to tea (coffee = cigarette) at least temporarily. Hold out as long as you can! Hang tough....or you will have a lot of month left with no Coke quota!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 12th, 2009, 11:06 am

Two things: (I'm not kidding)
#1. I found when I quit cold turkey about thirty years ago (wayyy over a pack a day at the time) that most of the time simply remembering to breathe helped tremendously. I think the main reason cigs relax us is that we simply take in deep, deep breaths on a draw. So when you think you are craving one, it may be just your need to relax and get some air into your lungs. Notice how far the distance is from your ears down to your shoulders, then let your shoulders drop just a little farther. Then take two or three deep, relaxing breaths just as if you were drawing on a cigarette and actually blow out the air gently the same way. Take your time.

#2.A sure fire way to not let yourself fall back: I put out my last cigarette in front of a lunatic, tobacco addicted Tarheel ~x( and announced that it was my last. He was sure I'd fail.....which made me sure I would NOT. \:D/

bless your heart and best of luck!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 12th, 2009, 11:10 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Two things: (I'm not kidding)
#1. I found when I quit cold turkey about thirty years ago (wayyy over a pack a day at the time) that most of the time simply remembering to breathe helped tremendously. I think the main reason cigs relax us is that we simply take in deep, deep breaths on a draw. So when you think you are craving one, it may be just your need to relax and get some air into your lungs. Notice how far the distance is from your ears down to your shoulders, then let your shoulders drop just a little farther. Then take two or three deep, relaxing breaths just as if you were drawing on a cigarette and actually blow out the air gently the same way. Take your time.

#2.A sure fire way to not let yourself fall back: I put out my last cigarette in front of a lunatic, tobacco addicted Tarheel ~x( and announced that it was my last. He was sure I'd fail.....which made me sure I would NOT. \:D/

bless your heart and best of luck!
Love, Ima
Excellent advice!!!!!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2009, 11:35 am

Note to self:
1. Must find lunatic nicotine addicted tarhole.

Ima - you are right about the deep breathing - it does help a great deal. Between breathing and my coffee stirrers/straws I'm OK for the moment.

Of course nothing stressful has happened so far today - so no X( thus far.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 12th, 2009, 11:47 am

windsor wrote:Note to self:

Ima - you are right about the deep breathing - it does help a great deal. Between breathing and my coffee stirrers/straws I'm OK for the moment.

What about chewing gum? Will that help? I'm not referring to the smoke habit reducing gum, just something simple like trident.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2009, 11:59 am

TillyGalore wrote:
windsor wrote:Note to self:

What about chewing gum? Will that help? I'm not referring to the smoke habit reducing gum, just something simple like trident.

gum helps some but not as much as deep breathing - the breathing comes closer to the act of smoking. Hard candy or tic tacs are a little better than gum. I have gum...some coworkers have hard candy (sugar free even!) and tic tacs and carrot sticks (crunchy helps)

I was going to say gum 'gave your mouth something to do' but I remembered my audience and thought better of it
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 12th, 2009, 1:09 pm

I'm thinking of you, Windsor, and right now I'm congratulating you on getting halfway through your work day without a smoke!

Celebrate that victory!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2009, 1:11 pm

CathyCA wrote:I'm thinking of you, Windsor, and right now I'm congratulating you on getting halfway through your work day without a smoke!

Celebrate that victory!
Your timing is perfect...just came back from lunch...had to walk through the smoking area which started me wanting one big time...deep breathing deep breathing tic tac deep breathing

whew - made it! :-bd
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 1:15 pm

windsor wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm thinking of you, Windsor, and right now I'm congratulating you on getting halfway through your work day without a smoke!

Celebrate that victory!
Your timing is perfect...just came back from lunch...had to walk through the smoking area which started me wanting one big time...deep breathing deep breathing tic tac deep breathing

whew - made it! :-bd
YAAAAY Windsor! Well done. :ymapplause: \:D/ :ymhug:
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 12th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Glad to hear you're doing well fighting through this.

Let's see, where's the VIBES emoticon.......

:-bd :-bd ^:)^ ^:)^ :o3 :o3 :ymhug: :ymhug: %%- %%-
-- DukeUsul