Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2018, 10:58 pm

[QUOTE=Tripping William;1030314]For once, I came away from a Southern Pines beer with a reaction more favorable than “meh.” This is a Belgian-style dark strong ale, with 16-ounce cans acquired at Stella (Brew, not Artois) while picking up a semi-annual load of Donut Skillet. Pours a nice deep brown color with a fairly sizable tan head. Nice hints of dark fruit and some leather. Not as flavorful as some dark strongs, and there is a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste (even with IBUs at 24), but still nice on the palate. At 10+% ABV, it’s a sipper, not a gulper.[/QUOTE]

Bought tonight based on my memory of a favorable review but not "searched" until after purchased. Glad the brain cells still work reasonably well:o.

Grand Cru-Southern Pines Brewing Company.

I think my can was about $4.50; another nice drop.

Not too much to add to the above dead-on-target review except maybe my perception of some dark caramel and hints of dark rum throughout my extended tasting.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 25th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Pineapple Beach-Funky Buddha (Constellation) Brewery

Poured from a $2.15 twelve ounce can into a standard pint glass (And it's not even a NC beer .). Color was gold-yellow with a small head. Nose was a flowery pineapple juice. Tastes were Dole pineapple chunks (no sediment), flowers and light caramel. Minimal bitterness with IBUs at 20 and a crushable ABV at 5%. It's a nice variation on a blonde ale and would pair well with a fruit salad or a rocking chair/porch swing on a warm NC late spring afternoon in about a month. Wouldn't buy a litter of these but would certainly sip again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Milky Way (draft)-Trophy Brewing Company

Two ounce taster before buying.

Salted caramel sweet stout.

Dark brown pour into a cute little snifter. Thin, tan head with a milk chocolate nose. Not much salt on the palate, thankfully. Plenty of dark caramel and milk chocolate and mildly sweet. I'll guess IBUs about 30 with some roasty but not hoppy bitterness. ABV of 5.3%. Good enough for me to buy a $10 four pack of 16 ounce cans for personal sipping and trading for some Ohio brews this weekend. Would pair nicely with a brownie or oatmeal raisin (chocolate chip) cookie.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Gentle Giant (draft)-Trophy Brewing Company

Two ounce taster before purchasing a 4 pack of Tiniest Giants cuz Gentle Giant was not available to go.

Darker brown than the Milky Way and more dark chocolate and a bit of espresso on the nares with similar tastes that followed with perhaps some dark caramel, too. No licorice or molasses. I'll guess IBUs about 40 (again, heavily roasted grain bitterness and not hoppiness) and the AVB was 9.2%, both in line with its designation as a RIS. I'm looking forward a sipping a couple 12 ounce cans next month and trading the other 2 this weekend. Round up the usual suspects for pairing, including some Turtle or Oreo cheesecake or cookies. Dessert in a glass would work, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Kingdom of Clouds-Casita Ceveceria (brewed and canned by Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery)

The head brewer/owner for CC started his career at DR, then went to brew for Hill Farmstead while also brewing on the side for CC. He left about a year ago to return to NC and started brewing at DR with his "company."

More local!

Poured carefully from a pint can into an Ommegang tulip which was just big enough to accommodate the entire can with a thin, off white head. It's a DIPA and had gorgeous aromas of orange, grapefruit and rind. Tastes were the same with perhaps some tropical fruits like mango, guava and papaya. Finished with a little bit of alcohol burn like you'd get from an orange liqueur. No pine or resin. Reminded a lot of DFH 90 Minute IPA, still a classic in a field of hundreds and hundreds of DIPAs. Technically however, this would best be slotted into the milkshake DIPA category with the use of oats, wh*at (yep, trying to stay gluten-free, even on Ymm, Beer ) and lactose. Hop bill includes Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and Equinox, several of the fruity/juicy/citrusy/tropical ones. Cost was $4.50 for the 16 ounces after a 10% mixed 6er discount from a new wine/beer store about 1.5 miles from our house.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Caramel Coconut Cream Ale-Morgan Ridge Railwalk Vinyards and Brewhouse

Ok, raise your hand if you knew Salisbury, NC had a brewery? Extra credit if you've been there.

The pour from my $2 twelve ounce can looked like cloudy, raspberry lemonade iced tea . There was a thin, off-white head with immediate scents of coconut. Tastes were mild milk chocolate, light Kraft caramels with canned or bagged shredded coconut edging to the forefront. Maybe like an Almond Joy light without the nuts. (And yes, fuse, I can almost taste the cream .) Minimal bitterness with only 15 IBUs and a bit higher ABV than I'd have thought for the style, clocking in at 6%. I could imagine this with some ribs with a sweet and light, smokey glaze.

And yes, still local!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Pay It Forward Cocoa Porter-West Sixth Brewing

Drink local (Lexington, KY)!

Selected 2 different singles from the Liquor Barn tonight. That place is huuuuuge.

This was a 12 ounce can for $2 that is somewhat surprisingly, brewed year round.

Poured a dark, dark brown with a modest-sized mocha head. Smells like a cocoa latte. Or maybe a chocolate-flavored coffee. All the tastes you'd expect with almost burnt grain flavors accompanying cocoa powder and medium roast coffee. I'll guess IBUs around 30 and the ABV is 6%. Gimme a couple chocolate chip cookies or a blondie bar with this beer. Here is an ingredients list:

Malts: 2 row, Pale Chocolate Malt, Munich, Caramunich
Hops: Cascade
Yeast: House Ale
Additions: Organic, fair trade Taza cacao nibs
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2018, 11:27 pm

Snake Eyes-West Sixth Brewing

More local!

This was selection #2, another 12 ounce can. This was $3 for an 11% ABV imperial stout. Another good choice.

Pour was almost black into any anything-but-standard 2010 Duke national championship pint glass. Beer always tastes better sipped from this commemorative glass. There are hints of molasses, dark chocolate, coffee and burnt pumpernickel bread for aromas. Tastes remind me of a hybrid Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Victory Storm King with probably more semi-sweet chocolate than coffee. Mouth feel was slick/oily/viscous. There are some burnt grainy perceptions, too. No IBUs quoted so I'll postulate 50 based on the RIS style. There's also some boozy warming without any barrel aging. Ingredients listed below:

HOPS: Columbus
MALTS: 2 Row, Chocolate, Caramel, Melanoidin, Roasted Barley, Midnight Wh*at, Flaked Oats
YEAST: House

Trying to figure out what I might sample before the Columbus (IN) Symphony Orchestra concert tomorrow evening...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 29th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Evasion (draft)-Taxman Brewing Company

I still like the name Death and Taxes but Exemption comes pretty close. The (very informed) beertender simply named too many variants for me to comprehend so I had a 2 ounce sample of the regular Evasion (BBA but no additives) before choosing the "other" beer for take away.

Pour was almost black with a thin, mocha head. Dark chocolate nose with the same taste along with dark caramel, molasses, burnt grain and bourbon. I'd guess IBUs about 50 and the ABV was 13%, down from previous years of 14%+. A 2 pack of this in 12 ounce cans was $20 (don't worry, fuse, I passed on this one) and the BBA variants were all $25 for the pair . (And yes, I passed on these, too .)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 29th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Mezcal Barrel Aged Exemption (draft)-Taxman Brewing Company

Another 2 ounce taster to help me decide what the final addition to my purchase would be. This won. Not cheap but still much less than the Evasion/variants.

This is their standard Exemption (yes, I really typed that ):

"Claim an Exemption, our abbey-style tripel. This crisp golden ale unites lemon, orange peel and coriander spices with flavorful Belgian esters. White wh*at, oat and artisan malts contribute a balanced body, complemented by golden candi sugar."

This variant adds agave and barrel aging and comes up with some boozy, spicy aromas and tastes with oak and tequila in the forefront, but not overpowering. Color was a light orange-amber with little head. IBUs estimated at 30 and the ABV is up to 9% from the base beer at 8.5%.

I hope davec makes frequent visits to their brewery .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 30th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Cosmic Opposites (brewed on 1/18/18)-Casita Cerveceria (brewed and canned by Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery

Playing a bit of catch-up ball here from last week.

This pint can was either $4.00 or $4.50 after my mixed 6er discount at a new wine and beer store I mentioned last week that's about 1.5 miles from our house.

Labeled on the can as an imperial white stout, I'll call immediate shenanigans upon decanting. Even roger ayres might be able to make this call-it ain't white but rather a cloudy, milky medium brown hue. with a small, tan head. Nose of java and milk chocolate, smooth and silky mouthfeel and complex tastes including cocoa powder, brown sugar, espresso, chocolate/malted milk and a modest alcohol burn. An imagined "cocktail" from the bar might be a shot of Godiva liqueur in a cup of medium roast coffee with a splash of cream. Ingredients include cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla (I didn't really taste this), oats (smoothness) and lactose, technically making this an imperial milk stout. I'll guess IBUs of 30-40 (it was pretty mild). The ABV was 10% and pretty obvious after about 12 ounces of this so I took about 90 minutes to finish it. Liquid dessert. I'd happily buy a pint on draft to try it really fresh and I'd guess it'd be $7-8 for a 16 ounce pour. I will certainly continue to seek out beer from this brewery.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 1st, 2018, 7:48 am

Saber Tooth Tiger-Rheingeist Brewery

More local! (well, maybe about 90 minutes away from local on Saturday night in Columbus, OH)

A limited, annual release, this was their first IIPA in 2013.

Poured from a 12 ounce can and shared with our son, it appeared a golden-yellow with a medium, foamy head. Waves of tropical fruit waft from our snifters and blasts of pineapple, mango, guava and grapefruit trample our taste buds. Really high IBUs at 95 but the moderate bitterness is fairly fruity/rind-y and reasonably well balanced with the ABV at 8.5%. I like this better than their year-round IIPA, Knowledge. Here are the ingredients:

MALTS: 2-row, Pilsner, Flaked Rye (I didn't perceive much, if any, of the mustiness one would expect from this)

HOPS: Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra

(and yes, several of these made it back to NC last PM...)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 1st, 2018, 7:42 pm

Tiniest Giants-Trophy Brewing Company

Night cap last PM. It was a long drive back yesterday with a 90 minute hiking stop at Pilot Mountain and I was thirsty .

Not sure what the difference is with Gentle Giant except draft vs cans and this one has an ABV of 11% and perhaps a bit more viscous along with more dark chocolate and less espresso tastes. The draft and to-go lists don't discuss any ingredients, nor do the cans. Quite happy with this $3/12 ounces purchase with one remaining in the fridge and the other two being traded in Columbus, OH, this weekend.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » May 1st, 2018, 8:58 pm

Black Tuesday is in the house. Checks in at a whopping 19.5%. Nice session beer, eh? One has your name on it DD. AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 1st, 2018, 10:40 pm

Give Your Hops Away-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Drink local, even if NC Beer Month is over. I still have a few more singles remaining.

Psychedelic pint can containing some pretty tasty hazy juice, aka a New England IPA.

Pour was a cloudy orange-yellow with a moderate, foamy head. Citrus and tropical aromas? You bet! Mango, papaya, guava, pineapple flavors with a bit of rind and skin? You bet! Bitterness minimal as IBUs are 30. IPA standard ABV at 6.1%. Hops include Citra, Galaxy and Idaho 7, the last two being new to me. Grains are wh*at and oats for hints of orange and a smooth mouthfeel. Lactose added making it almost a tropical shake-style IPA. No fruits added. I think this was about $3 for the half quart can. I couldn't find this on their website so it must have been a one-off in March or last month. Certainly makes trying another Southern Pines brew or three rather appealing after some average products tasted early on in their career. A tip of the snifter to Tripping William for some of his Southern Pines reviews in the last couple years.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 1st, 2018, 10:45 pm

August West wrote:Black Tuesday is in the house. Checks in at a whopping 19.5%. Nice session beer, eh? One has your name on it DD. AW. :D
I've got the money, honey, if you've got the time/place. We could also discuss trading 6-12 of the brews I've accumulated over the last few weeks/months for that 750 ml bottle of Black Tuesday. Probably best decided over a pint or two sometime =p~ .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 2nd, 2018, 3:49 pm

devildeac wrote:Tiniest Giants-Trophy Brewing Company

Night cap last PM. It was a long drive back yesterday with a 90 minute hiking stop at Pilot Mountain and I was thirsty .

Not sure what the difference is with Gentle Giant except draft vs cans and this one has an ABV of 11% and perhaps a bit more viscous along with more dark chocolate and less espresso tastes. The draft and to-go lists don't discuss any ingredients, nor do the cans. Quite happy with this $3/12 ounces purchase with one remaining in the fridge and the other two being traded in Columbus, OH, this weekend.
I loved seeing Joy's pics on FB from that Pilot Mountain excursion.

In my first apartment in Winston-Salem, the window over my kitchen sink provided a sweeping view of the Sauratown Mountains and Pilot Mountain. It was a stark reminder for this coastal girl of how far away I was living from the beach!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 2nd, 2018, 10:22 pm

Kreamsicle Kölsch-Morgan Ridge Railwalk Brewery and Eatery

WTH? A flavored Kölsch?

Have I jumped the shark?

Part of my mixed 6er or actually two 6ers a couple weeks ago from a new wine and beer shop near our house and highly recommended by the owner. Still drinking local a few days after NC Beer Month ended.

Pour was a pale, orange-yellow and the nose was all orange cream soda or a frozen creamsicle. Really. Tastes were the same with orange juice (blood orange puree added), a bit of orange rind (peel added) and vanilla ("aged" on vanilla beans) with essentially no bitterness (IBUs were 8-no typo) and ABV was 5%. A rather pleasant beer that set me back less than $3 for the pint can after the 10% mixed 6 pack discount. I'd share another with family/friends with a fruit plate or maybe a sweet and sour entree.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 3rd, 2018, 10:08 am

Beer connossieurs! Have you seen this article from Our State magazine? Are any of your favorite breweries listed?

https://www.ourstate.com/announcing-the ... 03b6ada228

:beer: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :orcs-cheers:

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:Beer connossieurs! Have you seen this article from Our State magazine? Are any of your favorite breweries listed?

https://www.ourstate.com/announcing-the ... 03b6ada228

:beer: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :orcs-cheers:

I had not seen that. Thanks for finding and sharing. I have a lot of favs and am familiar with (by name and/or tasting) many on that list with the "best" ones being Haw River, Burial, NoDa and Fullsteam.