LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » August 9th, 2009, 9:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I spent the day fishing at the beach. Didn't catch a damn thing, but I found a shark's tooth, never found one before. It's pretty worn down, and it's black.

Shark should have been brushing regularly to avoid black teeth.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 9th, 2009, 9:30 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Lavabe said, " ArkieDukie said, "Maybe we need some ratings more in line with those that are used for academic journals. For those not in the know, scientific journals are ranked by impact factor. That's probably true in other disciplines as well. One of the criteria is number of people who cite articles from the journal. Wonder what would happen to our poster rankings if they were suddenly changed to reflect, not only the number of posts, but the number of times a particular poster was cited? :-?"

How about what happened when devildeac cited three of his own posts? :-\ :-$

Self-citation shouldn't count.

Yet ANOTHER contribution to the ArkieDukie impact factor. :-bd"

There was an ABBA song that had similar lyrics.
I just watched the end of Mamma Mia! I want to get some people together to watch the sing-a-long version. :ymparty: \:D/ \:D/
My wife and one or both of my daughters will join you. I'll be in another county or state NOT singing along... :roll:
A few good beers for you and I bet we could get you to join in. I will have to provide some wine for the non-beer drinkers.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 9th, 2009, 9:31 pm

I had a Caprese salad for dinner. Basil and tomatoes from my back yard. I used the Jelly Bean tomatoes.
Life is good!
craziecat
PW in training
PW in training

Post by craziecat » August 9th, 2009, 9:51 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I had a Caprese salad for dinner. Basil and tomatoes from my back yard. I used the Jelly Bean tomatoes.
Man I wish I could grow a garden. Back yard all shade and I can't grow shit back there. Have you ever tried just growing herbs in just a pot? Stouid question I know, but thought I would as just the same :D
Please don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.
GO DUKE!!!!!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 9th, 2009, 9:55 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote: I just watched the end of Mamma Mia! I want to get some people together to watch the sing-a-long version. :ymparty: \:D/ \:D/
My wife and one or both of my daughters will join you. I'll be in another county or state NOT singing along... :roll:

When I spent the summer in Brazil, I got invited several times to go Karaoking(sp). I am not a very good singer but why turn down 15 women at one time?

The Japanese guys from b-school on the other hand, they spent hours at the mic.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 9th, 2009, 10:10 pm

DukeUsul wrote:OMG it's hot. Went to an office outing at the DBAP tonight to see the Bulls. We made it about 1.5 hrs. It's so hot, esp. in the sun. There was a tad of a breeze, but not enough.

We filled up on free food, had a beer and ice cream and skeedaddled.
I walked 9 holes this afternoon. I chose to go to the pool instead of playing the back 9. A wise choice - my momma didn't raise no fool!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 9th, 2009, 10:16 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:OMG it's hot. Went to an office outing at the DBAP tonight to see the Bulls. We made it about 1.5 hrs. It's so hot, esp. in the sun. There was a tad of a breeze, but not enough.

We filled up on free food, had a beer and ice cream and skeedaddled.
I walked 9 holes this afternoon. I chose to go to the pool instead of playing the back 9. A wise choice - my momma didn't raise no fool!
I can't imaging exerting myself in that mess. It was bad enough just sitting there drinking beer watching ball.
-- DukeUsul
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 9th, 2009, 10:19 pm

craziecat wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I had a Caprese salad for dinner. Basil and tomatoes from my back yard. I used the Jelly Bean tomatoes.
Man I wish I could grow a garden. Back yard all shade and I can't grow shit back there. Have you ever tried just growing herbs in just a pot? Stouid question I know, but thought I would as just the same :D
Yes - I have rosemary and mint growing in a pot now. Have also planted a strawberry pot with herbs in the past - thyme, oregano, etc. Mint in a pot is a good idea as it tends to spread rapidly - so if you plant it in the ground, you will be cutting it back/pulling it out forever.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2009, 10:30 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Lavabe said, " ArkieDukie said, "Maybe we need some ratings more in line with those that are used for academic journals. For those not in the know, scientific journals are ranked by impact factor. That's probably true in other disciplines as well. One of the criteria is number of people who cite articles from the journal. Wonder what would happen to our poster rankings if they were suddenly changed to reflect, not only the number of posts, but the number of times a particular poster was cited? :-?"

How about what happened when devildeac cited three of his own posts? :-\ :-$

Self-citation shouldn't count.

Yet ANOTHER contribution to the ArkieDukie impact factor. :-bd"

I just watched the end of Mamma Mia! I want to get some people together to watch the sing-a-long version. :ymparty: \:D/ \:D/
A few good beers for you and I bet we could get you to join in. I will have to provide some wine for the non-beer drinkers.
I'd be MUCH more likely to sing something from Spamalot or Jersey Boys.

And that's my final answer...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 9th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Anyone who follows the Premier League: Check out Premier Fantasy on ESPN! Join the DBR league!
Class of 2014
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 9th, 2009, 11:57 pm

4 - 8, on the way to 10 - 8 :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 10th, 2009, 1:43 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I've been doing digital camera research and think I've settled on the Nikon D90. There's been lots of digital photography discussion, so I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Now, go to BestBuy (on sale for $1199) or order online? :-?
Ahh, the age old question, instant or delayed gratification? And how much is it worth?
It's $30 cheaper online at 17th Street Camera.
I'm responding without having caught up on 10 more pages of posts, so apologies if this is too late, but I would recommend two other options:

1) For buying online, this place is an amazing online retailer: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ - and if you're buying online, use Bing Cashback, and get an extra discount (http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/stor ... FORM=R5FD1)

2) If there's a local camera shop (with reputable staff, good advice, etc.) and you think you may be wanting additional camera gear later, see if they are willing to match the Best Buy price. Some stores will do their best to match (or throw in an extra or two) because you were willing to give them a chance, and it's never a bad idea to support local retail, especially if you'll need their service/advice down the road.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 10th, 2009, 1:45 am

Sue71 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Looks like Lavabe has his sights set on Ozzie today...

Maybe this hour...
If he keeps up this pace, Sue, BONES and colchar are in his passing range today, too. ;)

Hey, I have an excuse for not posting lately. Don't I get some kind of free pass or something?
Sue, I think you should get about 10 free passes. Hope the flight back east goes/went smoothly.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 10th, 2009, 1:55 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
craziecat wrote:
Yes - I have rosemary and mint growing in a pot now. Have also planted a strawberry pot with herbs in the past - thyme, oregano, etc. Mint in a pot is a good idea as it tends to spread rapidly - so if you plant it in the ground, you will be cutting it back/pulling it out forever.
Ymm, love caprese salad!

I have a HUGE rosemary bush out front (it competes for space with my lavendar) but in back, i have a couple herb planters on my deck. The thyme, savory, and basil thrive; for the 2nd year in a row, I've had issues keeping dill (it keeps seeding) and cilantro (it keeps dying); and mint and sage have taken over their respective corners. The tarragon did great in year 1, not so well this summer. Next year, I may throw oregano into the mix instead of the savory (which I never use.)

I don't have the space, time or patience for real veggie gardening, but I do love my little boxes of herbs. : )
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2009, 5:36 am

DevilAlumna wrote:I'm responding without having caught up on 10 more pages of posts, so apologies if this is too late, but I would recommend two other options:

1) For buying online, this place is an amazing online retailer: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ - and if you're buying online, use Bing Cashback, and get an extra discount (http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/stor ... FORM=R5FD1)

2) If there's a local camera shop (with reputable staff, good advice, etc.) and you think you may be wanting additional camera gear later, see if they are willing to match the Best Buy price. Some stores will do their best to match (or throw in an extra or two) because you were willing to give them a chance, and it's never a bad idea to support local retail, especially if you'll need their service/advice down the road.

Thanks for the tips! I have a refurbished camera and lens in a cart at Adorama Camera; they also use Bing Cashback. I like the idea of going to a local camera shop, though, to see what's available. Now that I've shopped around online I have a much better idea of what's out there. Besides, as you said, supporting local retailers is good.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » August 10th, 2009, 6:14 am

So what's everyone talking about?
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 10th, 2009, 6:14 am

I've been gone all weekend.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 10th, 2009, 6:15 am

Took the trailer out to the lake.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 10th, 2009, 6:20 am

It was HOT AS SHIT.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2009, 6:51 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:4 - 8, on the way to 10 - 8 :D
Hopefully that means the rest of the country won't have to watch any more games in this meaningless series. Maybe we'll actually get to see games between teams that are closer together in the standings... Like maybe Boston and Texas, or maybe Atlanta and SF.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.