Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Southern Women

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 7:43 am

Lavabe wrote:
weezie wrote:
Lavabe wrote: It may be Southern, but it also has a LOT of Midwest in it as well.
Not that there's anything wrong with midwestern women, right?????????????????? ;)
I did graduate school in St. Louis, and LOVE the Midwest. The good thing now about living in Lexington is that it has both a Southern AND a Midwest feel to it.

Truth be told: I married a Southern woman, but she doesn't do most of the things in Cathy's list. Having said that, she asked me last night if she could fix some dinner. And when she gets mad, she does tend to drop off the g's in her "-ing's."

Cathy: did I see no mention of cheese straws?
As a Southern girl living in St. Louis, I'm still trying to decide exactly where it fits into the spectrum. Definitely not Southern, although there's a bit of it here. I've heard St. Louis described as the westernmost Eastern city (with Kansas City being the easternmost Western city), and I think that fits as well. The caveat is that the places I've lived in the East probably also qualified as Southern (Durham and Lexington, VA). Maybe it is simply Midwestern.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 9th, 2009, 7:45 am

CathyCA wrote:I haven't run across anything on midwestern, northeastern or west coast women. I'd be interested in reading it if anyone can find something similar to what I posted.
All I ever needed to know about women (from a geographic standpoint), I learned from "California Girls". ;)

Well east coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear

And the southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when Im down there

The mid-west farmers daughters really make you feel alright

And the northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be California Girls
The west coast has the sunshine
And the girls all get so tanned

I dig a french bikini on hawaii island
Dolls by a palm tree in the sand

I been all around this great big world
And I seen all kinds of girls
Yeah, but I couldnt wait to get back in the states
Back to the cutest girls in the world

There ya go.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 7:50 am

ArkieDukie wrote:As a Southern girl living in St. Louis, I'm still trying to decide exactly where it fits into the spectrum. Definitely not Southern, although there's a bit of it here. I've heard St. Louis described as the westernmost Eastern city (with Kansas City being the easternmost Western city), and I think that fits as well. The caveat is that the places I've lived in the East probably also qualified as Southern (Durham and Lexington, VA). Maybe it is simply Midwestern.
It is Midwestern, no doubt about it. The differences between Southern & Midwestern come about especially in the fall and winter. And the accent is completely different. No drawl.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 7:58 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:As a Southern girl living in St. Louis, I'm still trying to decide exactly where it fits into the spectrum. Definitely not Southern, although there's a bit of it here. I've heard St. Louis described as the westernmost Eastern city (with Kansas City being the easternmost Western city), and I think that fits as well. The caveat is that the places I've lived in the East probably also qualified as Southern (Durham and Lexington, VA). Maybe it is simply Midwestern.
It is Midwestern, no doubt about it. The differences between Southern & Midwestern come about especially in the fall and winter. And the accent is completely different. No drawl.
I still have the drawl and am constantly asked where I'm from. I'm thinking of the differences in more of a cultural/social sense. Maybe LR and StL are close enough geographically that the differences aren't terribly dramatic. Also, remember I grew up in NW AR - only about 4.5 hrs from here. Maybe I'm just more Midwestern than Southern?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 8:07 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I still have the drawl and am constantly asked where I'm from. I'm thinking of the differences in more of a cultural/social sense. Maybe LR and StL are close enough geographically that the differences aren't terribly dramatic. Also, remember I grew up in NW AR - only about 4.5 hrs from here. Maybe I'm just more Midwestern than Southern?
IIRC, Missouri was a border state, not unlike Kentucky.

But Missouri is a terribly confusing state. Your original post talked about St. Louis. I feel little if any trace of the South there. If you go south of Arnold (a southern St. Louis suburb), you will definitely feel more of the South. Have you been to Rolla? If so, how do you feel there?

And you simply MUST go to a Cards game. The social/family/community setting there is one of the things that helps define the city. The game is not as essential as is soaking up the historical, generational, and community aspects of the place and the event.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 8:15 am

Lavabe wrote:IIRC, Missouri was a border state, not unlike Kentucky.

But Missouri is a terribly confusing state. Your original post talked about St. Louis. I feel little if any trace of the South there. If you go south of Arnold (a southern St. Louis suburb), you will definitely feel more of the South. Have you been to Rolla? If so, how do you feel there?

And you simply MUST go to a Cards game. The social/family/community setting there is one of the things that helps define the city. The game is not as essential as is soaking up the historical, generational, and community aspects of the place and the event.
Yes, which means I grew up VERY close to the border with a border state. With regard to Rolla, you're familiar with "Deliverance", right? ;)
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 9th, 2009, 9:39 am

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Oh my! It's not a proper party if there aren't any cheese straws!

Last night, 8-x and I ate pimiento cheese on crackers. That's another southern food treat.
What would be the proper Southern drink to accompany said pimiento cheese on crackers?
The proper southern drink to accompany pimiento cheese on crackers is sweet tea.

It was late in the evening, however, so we were drinking Corona.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2009, 10:31 am

Lavabe wrote:

Last night, 8-x and I ate pimiento cheese on crackers. That's another southern food treat.
What would be the proper Southern drink to accompany said pimiento cheese on crackers?
If the correct answer to this is ANYTHING other than swaayytt taay, then I am calling BS. :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2009, 10:33 am

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

The proper southern drink to accompany pimiento cheese on crackers is sweet tea.

That's what I thought. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 10:43 am

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Because of the time of day, I thought there'd be something a little stronger than either swayt tay or Corona.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 9th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:
This leads to a question that I simply must ask. :?:

What type of lady would one find in East St. Louis? You know, the ones right alongside the river.
:ymcowboy:
Not sure the guy above would pass for a pimp. We don't have a pimp smilie.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 9th, 2009, 5:21 pm

CathyCA wrote: _____

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.
_____

You'll also find that those southerners in the room who are married to each other were related, often closely related, before they actually got married.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 9th, 2009, 7:51 pm

WOW!!!

I had the over/under at roughly a nanosecond before someone jumped all over me for that joke. I'm absolutely shocked that nobody has responded yet.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 9th, 2009, 8:35 pm

The ...branches on ...my family ...tree ...wrap completely ... around ...the trunk.
x_x
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 9th, 2009, 9:13 pm

colchar wrote:WOW!!!

I had the over/under at roughly a nanosecond before someone jumped all over me for that joke. I'm absolutely shocked that nobody has responded yet.
Except that it's no joke.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
craziecat
PW in training
PW in training

Post by craziecat » August 9th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Oh my heavens. Thank you so much for this thread. Being a Southener living in Chicago, my oh my, do I need to pass this on to a few people up here. NOW, maybe they will understand, LOL.. Honest to god true story. When I had my first job review 8 years ago, my boss actually told me I had to stop calling people ma'am and sir because people find it condesending. I just looked at him, and said yes sir, I surely will do my best. What a prick
Please don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.
GO DUKE!!!!!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 9th, 2009, 10:21 pm

craziecat wrote:Oh my heavens. Thank you so much for this thread. Being a Southener living in Chicago, my oh my, do I need to pass this on to a few people up here. NOW, maybe they will understand, LOL.. Honest to god true story. When I had my first job review 8 years ago, my boss actually told me I had to stop calling people ma'am and sir because people find it condesending. I just looked at him, and said yes sir, I surely will do my best. What a prick
When I hear anyone using ma'am and sir, I know they are either from the south or the military. I like it!
Life is good!
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 9th, 2009, 10:30 pm

craziecat wrote:Oh my heavens. Thank you so much for this thread. Being a Southener living in Chicago, my oh my, do I need to pass this on to a few people up here. NOW, maybe they will understand, LOL.. Honest to god true story. When I had my first job review 8 years ago, my boss actually told me I had to stop calling people ma'am and sir because people find it condesending. I just looked at him, and said yes sir, I surely will do my best. What a prick
My sister has had the same experience in the Chicago area!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Good for you! Condescending? That's called good manners! Obviously he didn't have any "brought-ups".
-- Albert Einstein
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 9th, 2009, 10:57 pm

I'm not sure whether to mention this sauce in this thread or one of the BBQ sauce threads or the recipe thread. I thought of this thread because good food seems to be one of the features for which the South is famous.

A friend told me about this great sauce; it's a southern staple available in many supermarkets in same section as the barbecue sauces. The price is moderate; the versatility is great! http://www.dalesseasoning.com/index.asp It's a marvelous marinade for pork, chicken or beef. ( This sauce can be an ingredient in making a tasty barbecue sauce.) ;;)