LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by IowaDevil » April 29th, 2017, 11:59 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm a basket case. We found out today that Shirley has tumors all over . Her time could be short. Jimmy was told today the VA can not do anything else to help him. He will be transferred out to a nursing home or Hospice. I will be going to Richmond Tuesday. I have to get new tires, which are the run flat, Monday. You have to be tough to get old.
Hugs & prayers to you and your family! :ymhug: :pray:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 30th, 2017, 12:01 am

This is he hardest situation I can imagine. I"m so sorry. You do have your work cut out for you, VDB. Take time for yourself as you roll up your sleeves to help out. Say your prayers, breathe,and get a little exercise along the way. You've barely gotten over helping Bud through his surgeries. Now all this. You're a hero, but take care of yourself, too.

"Where there is great love there are always miracles." --Willa Cather

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 30th, 2017, 9:46 am

Thank you Ima. I really appreciate your prayers and thoughts. Bud and I came to the lake Thursday. It has been peaceful. I have been doing some walking. I am thankful to be here. :ymhug:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 30th, 2017, 8:43 pm

:ymhug: :wizard: :YMPRAY:
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 2nd, 2017, 9:57 pm

My travels to Richmond today was a trip from Help. Because of road construction, it too me an 1 and 1/2 hours to travel 45 miles. The first 20 miles took 25 minutes. Everything here is about the same. No surprises, that's a good thing.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 7th, 2017, 10:39 pm

What a weekend. Kyle is officially a nurse. He got pinned Friday evening. It was a wonderful. We are so proud and happy for him. He already has a job at Duke pediatric ICU. Of corse boards are first. Adam is scheduled to fly in on graduation day, the 13th. He will be officially out of the Navy because of injuries that happened during Seal Team training. His dream couldn't happen. Sad but I'm glad he is safe. I got to the lake house this afternoon for a much needed peace and quite. I'm chilling.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2017, 10:35 am

Congratulations, Kyle!

I am also very proud of Adam. He pursued his dream! I'm glad that he's going to be there for Kyle on the 13th.

You have the nicest, most thoughtful grandchildren, VDB. :ymhug: :ymhug:

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 8th, 2017, 12:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:Congratulations, Kyle!

I am also very proud of Adam. He pursued his dream! I'm glad that he's going to be there for Kyle on the 13th.

I could not have said this better myself. VDB, you have a wonderful family. So proud of both these fine men.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » May 8th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Thank you all and of course, I agree, VDB's grand kids are the best! I couldn't be prouder of Kyle, and although I am sad for Adam that he wasn't able to realize his dream of becoming a Navy SEAL, (damn those bilateral shin stress fractures), I am relieved that he will not be in harm's way during these uncertain times.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 8th, 2017, 1:21 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

I could not have said this better myself. VDB, you have a wonderful family. So proud of both these fine men.

I agree with my esteemed CTN Sisters.

For Adam, I know it is hard to let go of a dream but all I can say is "look out world when he focuses on his next dream" - anyone with the desire to try to become a SEAL is a determined individual. He will go places.
Life is good!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 8th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Big congrats to Kyle. Our elder daughter, Mandy, works in the NICU at Duke. Bet they meet up at some point. She does clinical trials. It's a pretty emotional place to work. Always in crisis. He's going to get a baptism of fire. He'll be doing important work.
Love, Ima
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » May 9th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Interesting, I wasn't able to log in for 3-4 days.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 9th, 2017, 1:26 pm

I am having trouble staying awake at the salt mine. @-) :asleep: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2017, 8:15 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

I agree with my esteemed CTN Sisters.

For Adam, I know it is hard to let go of a dream but all I can say is "look out world when he focuses on his next dream" - anyone with the desire to try to become a SEAL is a determined individual. He will go places.
I'll second that!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 12th, 2017, 9:45 am

Tomorrow is Kyle's big day. We are all looking forward to enjoy sharing this event. There will be 16 here for dinner. I'm making Frogmore stew, salad, deviled egg and brownies. When I was picking up the corn (25 ears) yesterday, the produce manager ask why so so much, I told him. He ask about the menu. When I said deviled eggs, he told me how he makes his. The big difference is he puts horse radish in the egg yolk. Sounds like a winner to me. Dana is making them and will be adding it.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 14th, 2017, 7:54 am

We had so much h fun yesterday celebration Kyle's special day. The weather cooperated. No rain, as earlier predicted. To top it off, Adam's first day home.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 14th, 2017, 9:28 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:We had so much h fun yesterday celebration Kyle's special day. The weather cooperated. No rain, as earlier predicted. To top it off, Adam's first day home.
Yay! Congratulations, Kyle! Welcome home, Adam! :happy-bouncyblue:

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 14th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Home from the mountains tired and happy. Native's brother graduated from App yesterday so there was lots of family gathered in Boone.

The OP and I have witnessed way more than our share of graduation ceremonies at several universities we've been associated with, but gotta say this one was probably the best of all. The faculty, students and crowd were so very warm and friendly. Everybody in the auditorium actually sang a rousing National Anthem together with the marvelous brass ensemble. The speeches were delightfully witty, brief, heartfelt, and meaningful. I got rather choked up and even hated to see it end.

That's a mighty good school tucked up there in the Smokies.
Love, Ima
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 17th, 2017, 12:22 am

[quote="Ima Facultiwyfe"]Home from the mountains tired and happy. Native's brother graduated from App yesterday so there was lots of family gathered in Boone.

The OP and I have witnessed way more than our share of graduation ceremonies at several universities we've been associated with, but gotta say this one was probably the best of all. The faculty, students and crowd were so very warm and friendly. Everybody in the auditorium actually sang a rousing National Anthem together with the marvelous brass ensemble. The speeches were delightfully witty, brief, heartfelt, and meaningful. I got rather choked up and even hated to see it end.

That's a mighty good school tucked up there in the Smokies.
Love, Ima[/quote

Congratulations to your grandson. It's wonderful to see our young people's accomplishments. Pure joy.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 17th, 2017, 12:52 am

I'm beat and trying to wind down. This morning, Jake had an appointment with my eye doctor who specialize exclusively in glaucoma. Jake was diagnosed with it 3 years ago. The bottom line, he does not have it. That's good but a lot of time and money wasted. We left at 11:30 for Hopewell, Va., to see my brother at a rehab facility. We had a good visit. Jimmy is doing as well as can be expected. We left at 3:00 for Richmond to visit Shirley. I cooked squash, kale and cut up a small water melon for her. She has so little to look forward too. I feel a variety of food might help. We left there at 8:30, arrived home at 11:30. Good night. Wrong thread but I don't care. :ymhug: