Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Turk » August 6th, 2009, 3:21 am

I'm going to finish the evening with an Iron City 16oz bottle (a "pounder"). Generic American pilsner; I have a sneaky feeling that the typical beer drinker could not tell it from Miller Genuine Draft in a double-blind taste test.

Pittsburgh Brewing has been on shaky ground for many years; they cut a deal with the city and county on their utility bills, in exchange for a promise to put the money into upgrading the plant. Instead, the owner pocketed the money and signed a deal to move production to the old Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe. The union guys in town were pissed but they had to have seen the writing on the wall.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 6th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Turk wrote:Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale, Cherry Hill, NJ. I don't have DDeac's vocabulary, but I think it's my favorite summer ale. Golden color, more flavor and depth than Sam Adams Summer Ale. Crisp and clean finish, easy to enjoy a few in hot sticky weather...
I have had several brews by those folks and like them. When it gets a bit cooler, try their dubbel/double/dubble, which is a Belgian style brown ale.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 6th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Turk wrote:I'm going to finish the evening with an Iron City 16oz bottle (a "pounder"). Generic American pilsner; I have a sneaky feeling that the typical beer drinker could not tell it from Miller Genuine Draft in a double-blind taste test.

Pittsburgh Brewing has been on shaky ground for many years; they cut a deal with the city and county on their utility bills, in exchange for a promise to put the money into upgrading the plant. Instead, the owner pocketed the money and signed a deal to move production to the old Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe. The union guys in town were pissed but they had to have seen the writing on the wall.
Try the Victory Prima Pils.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Abita Andygator-as the name might hint, a bock beer. German tradition is to give bock beers names that end in -or, such as Salvator and Celebrator. Americans have followed that tradition. Interestingly, this is a helles doublebock which means it is lighter in color (think yellow snow :roll: )) and texture than your typical bock. There are some fresh floral aromas (like a pilsner) and some light breadiness (like a typical bock) in the smell and taste. Doublebock means "knock you on your arse" in German (jk) as this baby is 8% ABV and drinks SOOO smoothly and easily that you will be buzzed if you are not judicious and slow with your consumption. I split the bomber over two nights. The IBU's are about 30-40 as the maltiness dominates and another one of the tastes is the sweetness of light caramel. It is a fine spring/summer beer and would be good with lighter grilled/broiled fare such as chicken or fish. I might purchase an Abita Abbey, too, as I really enjoyed this and have not had many of the Abita high gravity brews in the past several years.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 8th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Samuel Smith Stingo--Old Ale..I read about this beer a few months back and was excited to finally track it down. Stingo is a limited release aged old ale that is making it's first trip to the US this year. I'm a big old ale fan and Samuel Smith really got me started on beer sampling. This is an excellent beer. Pours a thick dark brown with a decent size head. Lots of sweet caramel and vanilla malts but the aging has made for a subtle smooth taste. There is a bit of a bitter hop kick and a hint of sourness which adds a nice balance to the malts. 8% ABV. At $13 for a 19oz beer, this is really pushing the limit of what I would pay. Given the limited release, I did how grab a second for further aging..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2009, 9:02 pm

bluebear wrote:Samuel Smith Stingo--Old Ale..I read about this beer a few months back and was excited to finally track it down. Stingo is a limited release aged old ale that is making it's first trip to the US this year. I'm a big old ale fan and Samuel Smith really got me started on beer sampling. This is an excellent beer. Pours a thick dark brown with a decent size head. Lots of sweet caramel and vanilla malts but the aging has made for a subtle smooth taste. There is a bit of a bitter hop kick and a hint of sourness which adds a nice balance to the malts. 8% ABV. At $13 for a 19oz beer, this is really pushing the limit of what I would pay. Given the limited release, I did how grab a second for further aging..
That is spendy but I probably woulda done the same thing with one for now and one for several years from now.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 7:54 am

Now that I've developed an allergic reaction to doxycycline, I wonder if there's any beer that I should avoid. I know that some archaeological beers have antibiotic properties, including the presence of tetracyclines. Any current beers I should try to avoid...
OTHER THAN BUD LIGHT?

Seriously, any beers that might cause me issues?
Thanks,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 9th, 2009, 10:09 am

Lavabe wrote:Now that I've developed an allergic reaction to doxycycline, I wonder if there's any beer that I should avoid. I know that some archaeological beers have antibiotic properties, including the presence of tetracyclines. Any current beers I should try to avoid...
OTHER THAN BUD LIGHT?

Seriously, any beers that might cause me issues?
Thanks,
Lavabe
I am aware of no beers that have any tetracyline/derivatives in them. :roll:

Drink away... :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 13th, 2009, 6:32 pm

I checked my fermenter tonight, which still has my last batch of beer in it. I made this with everything I had months ago (April?), and have pretty much just let it hang out because of laziness and painting endeavours. I checked it tonight, pretty much expecting a nice coat of mold on top. Nope, it's looking perfect. I gotta bottle it soon since I want to have it for at least the first October brunchgate. I think it helped tons that I have it my glass carboy instead of the bucket, way less chance for contamination. Anyways, just a brewers update.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2009, 6:39 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I checked my fermenter tonight, which still has my last batch of beer in it. I made this with everything I had months ago (April?), and have pretty much just let it hang out because of laziness and painting endeavours. I checked it tonight, pretty much expecting a nice coat of mold on top. Nope, it's looking perfect. I gotta bottle it soon since I want to have it for at least the first October brunchgate. I think it helped tons that I have it my glass carboy instead of the bucket, way less chance for contamination. Anyways, just a brewers update.
My glass is empty and clean and I have a few "traders" and will accumulate a few more over the next 3 weeks or so... ;)
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 13th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Turk wrote:Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale, Cherry Hill, NJ. I don't have DDeac's vocabulary, but I think it's my favorite summer ale. Golden color, more flavor and depth than Sam Adams Summer Ale. Crisp and clean finish, easy to enjoy a few in hot sticky weather...
I toured their brewery with my family a few years back (it's less than 5 miles from my parents house). Very nice little operation. Small group tour with the brewmaster and as much as you could drink at the end. :D :D :D
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2009, 6:48 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
I toured their brewery with my family a few years back (it's less than 5 miles from my parents house). Very nice little operation. Small group tour with the brewmaster and as much as you could drink at the end. :D :D :D
I'll bet they stopped the "as much as you could drink" part in the not-to-distant-past. :roll:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 14th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Schlafly's is now available here in my Lexington, KY Kroger. :-bd :-bd
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 14th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Lavabe wrote:Schlafly's is now available here in my Lexington, KY Kroger. :-bd :-bd
Good. You can bring me some when you hurry up and come to Atlanta to hang out with me. :!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre-a dark brown ale (they call it mahogany) brewed with Belgian beet sugars, green raisins and a sense of purpose (it's from the bottle). Clean and crisp with mild hop presence and brown sugar, dark candied fruits and a bit of dark caramel. A bit dark for a warm, humid NC evening but enjoyable. This would be great in the fall/winter with BBQ, ribs or a beef roast with cheddar/garlic mashies or even as dessert by itself or with some S'mores, CCC, oatmeal raisin cookies or Scotchies. ABV is 8% and I'd guess IBU about 30-40. I have not had this in a couple years and will be sure to bring a couple bottles to Brunchgate #1.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 12:07 am

After all this soda talk, perhaps I should have a beer?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 6:21 am

YmoBeThere wrote:After all this soda talk, perhaps I should have a beer?
Ask yourself this question:
How many NASCAR Sprint Cup cars are sponsored by fine quality breweries? *-:)
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Lavabe wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:After all this soda talk, perhaps I should have a beer?
Ask yourself this question:
How many NASCAR Sprint Cup cars are sponsored by fine quality breweries? *-:)
Trick question? The answer is zero?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2009, 1:37 pm

I'll leave page two to Ymo... :roll: ;) :))
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 16th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Been a while since I've contributed to this thread. Tonight I opened my last bottle of Avery's Fifteen Anniversary Ale (my dad and I never got to it in Steamboat last month). This is an American wild ale (brewed with two different strains of brett, white pepper, mission figs, and hibiscus flowers). It was bottled in early April 2008, so this is a 16.5 month tasting. From memory, previous tastings of this beer were dominated by the barnyard funk (I think the last bottle I had was to celebrate the Steelers' Super Bowl win).

Tonight, on the nose, the funk has certainly backed away. The beer smells very sweet and jammy with a nice spiciness at the back, and just a hint of the barnyard. Really great nose. The taste is nothing like the smell. The beer is dominated by the brett, which now has a leathery quality to it. It finishes with a honey like sweetness, but the funk is there through the end. This is definitely not an amateur beer and would probably scare away newcomers to the world of craft beer. But for beer geeks, its enjoyable enough...although I think I liked it better in February.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.