College?!?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: College?!?

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 7th, 2009, 10:51 am

Native wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread entirely, but I have a few questions as well.

I'm only a junior in high school, so I still have a lot of time to think about college. However, I am starting to seriously consider a few schools.

I love Duke; always have, always will. I practically grew up on campus and at the Thomas Center, because I would hang out with my business professor/grandfather while both my parents worked when I was younger. I can remember falling asleep on the bronze railing in CIS when I was a young'un.

I'd really like to pursue a career in the entertainment industry; more specifically, I'd like to direct films. I know that the best film schools are all on the West Coast (I live in Cary, by the way), but I'm reluctant to apply there. I just know that if I were to go to, say, UCLA and have to play Duke in basketball, I would be seriously conflicted. I've also never been that far away from home by myself. However, I know that Duke offers a certificate in Film Studies, just not a degree. Could anyone shed some light on the difference between a certificate and an actual degree? What impact will that have on me getting a job in the entertainment industry? And, if I do decide to pursue a certificate in film studies, what should I declare as my major?

I like to think I'm doing pretty well in HS right now; I have a 4.0 unweighted GPA and a 4.7 weighted with both AP and Honors classes under my belt. I scored a 2060 on my first try on the PSAT and am also the student body vice president and captain of the varsity lacrosse team as a rising junior. I am also beginning to rack up volunteer hours. I feel somewhat confident in my ability to get into many of the schools I want to apply to (Duke, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Columbia, Northwestern, etc.). If anyone else has any top-tier schools that offer a film degree/certificate, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!
There is an alternative closer to home though it may not yet be as prestigious as the films schools already discussed. Here's a link http://www.ncarts.edu/filmmaking/index.htm Take a look at the alumni listed and what they're doing. Look over the faculty listing, programs and courses. If you could see any of that fitting you, then maybe you could consider this school.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 7th, 2009, 11:28 am

Lavabe wrote:
CellR wrote:..., I am seriously considering applying to Berkely.
The folks at Berserkeley might not take too kindly to that missing "e." b-( :D

Three schools I have visited since college and wished I applied to: UW, Berserkeley, and Vancouver (UBC). Would also LOVE to visit Simon Fraser, Stanford, and UCSD.
:D
Ahh! I knew I was going to do that at some point!
captmojo wrote:
CellR wrote:
There aren't usually TOO many people from my school that go to UNC, and only one or two every year that go to Duke and Wake.
An enigma to be sure. That damned place was it for the guys I went to HS with.

They mostly ended up in Boone.
Yeah, probably 60-70% of my friends are unc fans. I have maybe 2 or 3 true Duke fan friends. The funny thing is that 95% of those unc fans won't be accepted to carolina, while pretty much 100% of my Duke friends would. I guess that's how life is though, the more intelligent root for the better school. :D
Class of 2014
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 7th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Three schools I have visited since college and wished I applied to: UW, . . . and Vancouver (UBC). Would also LOVE to visit Simon Fraser, Stanford, and UCSD.
To which UW are you referring? And it is simply known as UBC - Vancouver never gets mentioned as that is simply the city in which it is located. Simon Fraser is a nice school. I seriously considered doing one of my graduate degrees there but couldn't bring myself to move to the left coast.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 7th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Native wrote: I can remember falling asleep on the bronze railing in CIS when I was a young'un.
I'm pretty sure you are too young to have been present for a four-corners game. :))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 3:02 pm

colchar wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Three schools I have visited since college and wished I applied to: UW, . . . and Vancouver (UBC). Would also LOVE to visit Simon Fraser, Stanford, and UCSD.
To which UW are you referring? And it is simply known as UBC - Vancouver never gets mentioned as that is simply the city in which it is located. Simon Fraser is a nice school. I seriously considered doing one of my graduate degrees there but couldn't bring myself to move to the left coast.
UW=U Dub... watch out where the huskies go. The Seattle Dawgs. :o3 The University of Washington. DA country!!
UBC: I have a couple of friends teaching there, and I really had a good chance for a position there, but timing was not on my side.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 7th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on Clemson? I haven't looked into it very much. Is it a UNC clone, just located in SC? I know one person from the camp that I work at that will be attending this year as a member of the sailing team. From what he says it is a pretty good school, but then again, he is bound to be a little biased!
Class of 2014
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

CellR wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Clemson? I haven't looked into it very much. Is it a UNC clone, just located in SC? I know one person from the camp that I work at that will be attending this year as a member of the sailing team. From what he says it is a pretty good school, but then again, he is bound to be a little biased!
You have to really, really, really, really like orange. I mean really.

Also, listen to this a hundred times and see if you don't want to scratch your ears out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW02vW9qql0
-- DukeUsul
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 7th, 2009, 9:56 pm

CellR wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Clemson? I haven't looked into it very much. Is it a UNC clone, just located in SC? I know one person from the camp that I work at that will be attending this year as a member of the sailing team. From what he says it is a pretty good school, but then again, he is bound to be a little biased!
Clemson is not a UNC clone. It's closer to NC State or Georgia Tech in its mission and the areas of study it's best known for. Whether it's a good choice depends, in part, on what you're interested in. You can learn about the programs and degrees offered by looking at the Clemson web site.
craziecat
PW in training
PW in training

Post by craziecat » August 7th, 2009, 10:32 pm

DukeUsul wrote:

Also, listen to this a hundred times and see if you don't want to scratch your ears out.
And you know Orange may not be your color either. You do have to be careful of that. Don't want to look washed out or anything.
Please don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.
GO DUKE!!!!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 10:33 pm

CellR wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Clemson?
Are you prepared to run naked down Franklin St. when Clemson wins a basketball game in Chapaheeya? :D ;)

NOTE: for those who are unfamiliar, I am refering to a comment made from Klemnop, one of the best posters over yonder.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 7th, 2009, 11:04 pm

DukeUsul wrote:

I like this version of Tiger Rag better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-o1EZ4B ... re=related If you like Mardi Gras colors you'd be happy at LSU! And their tiger is real!!!!! Mike VI is a Bengal/Siberian mix... a gorgeous creature with an impressive voice. http://www.mikethetiger.com/index.php?d ... e6_history
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 8th, 2009, 3:10 am

Lavabe wrote:
CellR wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Clemson?
Are you prepared to run naked down Franklin St. when Clemson wins a basketball game in Chapaheeya? :D ;)

NOTE: for those who are unfamiliar, I am refering to a comment made from Klemnop, one of the best posters over yonder.

Someone should invite ole Klem over here.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2009, 11:02 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Native wrote: I can remember falling asleep on the bronze railing in CIS when I was a young'un.
I'm pretty sure you are too young to have been present for a four-corners game. :))
4 corners...

Grr...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 8th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:However, I was a Razorback fan growing up. I'm still a fan of the football team and ...
And that current Arkansas football coach is still thought of very highly in Atlanta. b-( b-(
He's pretty highly thought of in Arkansas, though. :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 9th, 2009, 9:10 am

Native wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread entirely, but I have a few questions as well.

I'm only a junior in high school, so I still have a lot of time to think about college. However, I am starting to seriously consider a few schools.

I love Duke; always have, always will. I practically grew up on campus and at the Thomas Center, because I would hang out with my business professor/grandfather while both my parents worked when I was younger. I can remember falling asleep on the bronze railing in CIS when I was a young'un.

I'd really like to pursue a career in the entertainment industry; more specifically, I'd like to direct films. I know that the best film schools are all on the West Coast (I live in Cary, by the way), but I'm reluctant to apply there. I just know that if I were to go to, say, UCLA and have to play Duke in basketball, I would be seriously conflicted. I've also never been that far away from home by myself. However, I know that Duke offers a certificate in Film Studies, just not a degree. Could anyone shed some light on the difference between a certificate and an actual degree? What impact will that have on me getting a job in the entertainment industry? And, if I do decide to pursue a certificate in film studies, what should I declare as my major?

I like to think I'm doing pretty well in HS right now; I have a 4.0 unweighted GPA and a 4.7 weighted with both AP and Honors classes under my belt. I scored a 2060 on my first try on the PSAT and am also the student body vice president and captain of the varsity lacrosse team as a rising junior. I am also beginning to rack up volunteer hours. I feel somewhat confident in my ability to get into many of the schools I want to apply to (Duke, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Columbia, Northwestern, etc.). If anyone else has any top-tier schools that offer a film degree/certificate, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!
The film certificate at Duke is totally viable. One of my best friends from there has spent the past ~2 years traveling the world producing a documentary on pickup soccer (I posted about it here), and the team is very close to securing the last bit of funding and a distribution deal for the film. Before that, he worked on a number of public television projects.
The Center for Documentary Studies at Duke is very reputable, and they give very good grants for alumni projects, etc. (this is how my friend and his colleagues got started on their film.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 9th, 2009, 9:21 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
Clemson is not a UNC clone. It's closer to NC State or Georgia Tech in its mission and the areas of study it's best known for. Whether it's a good choice depends, in part, on what you're interested in. You can learn about the programs and degrees offered by looking at the Clemson web site.
My cousin went there (and so did Charleston Girl). Clemson has focused very intently on steadily improving its academic profile in the past 20 years or so, and their efforts have paid off. It'll never be Harvard, of course, but it is a very good school for a number of things. As everyone has said, you need to look specifically at schools to see how well they match up with what you want to do. Clemson, however, is big enough that you wouldn't be pigeonholed once you got there, and you'd have a chance to do lots of different stuff.
Clemson can also be a fun place, but the pace of life there is sort of unique. It's not that Clemson is a university town; quite simply, Clemson University is the town. It's actually just a little bit weird. If you're looking to be really immersed in school and campus culture, though, it might be a good fit.
And say what you will about orange and the Tiger Rag, but football Saturdays there are a blast.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 9th, 2009, 10:04 am

wilson wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
My cousin went there (and so did Charleston Girl). Clemson has focused very intently on steadily improving its academic profile in the past 20 years or so, and their efforts have paid off. It'll never be Harvard, of course, but it is a very good school for a number of things. As everyone has said, you need to look specifically at schools to see how well they match up with what you want to do. Clemson, however, is big enough that you wouldn't be pigeonholed once you got there, and you'd have a chance to do lots of different stuff.
Clemson can also be a fun place, but the pace of life there is sort of unique. It's not that Clemson is a university town; quite simply, Clemson University is the town. It's actually just a little bit weird. If you're looking to be really immersed in school and campus culture, though, it might be a good fit.
And say what you will about orange and the Tiger Rag, but football Saturdays there are a blast.
Clemson has strong traditions about a variety of things.... and that may appeal to some.

As for Saturdays in Death Valley, Clemson is intense, but what goes on there will never equal what happens in Death Valley in Baton Rouge. LSU is another school about which one might make some disparaging comments, but there are some really great programs there as well. In contrast to Clemson's place in the State of South Carolina where there are two major universities vying for the public's loyalties, in Louisiana there is one: LSU.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 12th, 2009, 7:37 pm

So, as of right now I have "Early Decision - Binding" checked on my Common Application to Duke. The essays are giving me trouble though. I really really really want to write it about interviewing the child slave over Christmas break last year, but I'm having trouble keeping it an "essay" and not a "book". As of right now, I have two pages (technically there is no limit) written, and I JUST got to the actual interview part. By the time I finish it AND evaluate the experience and how it has impacted my life it's sure to be up around four pages. Ugh.

I am also applying for sure to Wake, App, State, UNC, UVA, and Berkeley. Thank the Blue Devil for the Common App though, it's probably saving me a good 3 to 4 essays, including Wake's essay for which the prompts are all a much more difficult.

And recommendations are different for Duke as well. Instead of hearing about the quality student that I am, they want to hear about how I learn, think, and grow.
Class of 2014
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 12th, 2009, 8:18 pm

CellR wrote:So, as of right now I have "Early Decision - Binding" checked on my Common Application to Duke. The essays are giving me trouble though. I really really really want to write it about interviewing the child slave over Christmas break last year, but I'm having trouble keeping it an "essay" and not a "book". As of right now, I have two pages (technically there is no limit) written, and I JUST got to the actual interview part. By the time I finish it AND evaluate the experience and how it has impacted my life it's sure to be up around four pages. Ugh.

I am also applying for sure to Wake, App, State, UNC, UVA, and Berkeley. Thank the Blue Devil for the Common App though, it's probably saving me a good 3 to 4 essays, including Wake's essay for which the prompts are all a much more difficult.

And recommendations are different for Duke as well. Instead of hearing about the quality student that I am, they want to hear about how I learn, think, and grow.
I would love to read your essay when it's finished. Would it help if you looked at it as a synopsis with a plan to expand it at a later time?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 12th, 2009, 8:25 pm

CellR wrote:So, as of right now I have "Early Decision - Binding" checked on my Common Application to Duke. The essays are giving me trouble though. I really really really want to write it about interviewing the child slave over Christmas break last year, but I'm having trouble keeping it an "essay" and not a "book". As of right now, I have two pages (technically there is no limit) written, and I JUST got to the actual interview part. By the time I finish it AND evaluate the experience and how it has impacted my life it's sure to be up around four pages. Ugh.

There are a lot of people around here who are well qualified to read over/edit that essay for you.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------