Sibling differences

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Sibling differences

Post by DukieInKansas » August 6th, 2009, 9:38 am

weezie wrote:Yah, well, it's all fun and games until you interject the spouses of siblings into the mix....then it kind of blows all to hellandgone. :(

Ah, yes - the out laws.
Life is good!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » August 6th, 2009, 1:40 pm

Oh yeah, I know whatcha mean there Wilson!
I have a younger brother (13 years younger) who swears he knows more and better (his way is THE only way) than myself and my older brother and tries at times to remind us (only to be reminded the exact opposite when his attempts at whatever fail miserably).
Then I have an older brother who in some areas is wise beyond his years and other times can be... well.... :geek: "book smart" but otherwise... :-\

The younger is certain he is all that and a bag of chips, the older is all that and a bag of chips but hasn't a clue.

As for me, well, I like to think that I am the happy medium. The mid point between both ends of the spectrum. I get along with both, just so long as my exposure to either is limited. Otherwise, well, it ain't 'purty!

So how best to handle it? Limit your exposure, hold your tongue and count to 10... er um 100 ok ok, 1,000 :D
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 6th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Sibling relationships fascinate me. I'm an only (which means I was all that and a bag of chips :D ) so the dynamic is alien to me. My long time best friend is a twin. She and her sister have a love/hate relationship that has left me scratching my head for many many years. They are NOTHING alike in personality (they are identical twins) always had different friends and different interests (I guess kudos are owed their Mom for never treating them like a unit)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 6th, 2009, 7:19 pm

windsor wrote:Sibling relationships fascinate me. I'm an only (which means I was all that and a bag of chips :D ) so the dynamic is alien to me. My long time best friend is a twin. She and her sister have a love/hate relationship that has left me scratching my head for many many years. They are NOTHING alike in personality (they are identical twins) always had different friends and different interests (I guess kudos are owed their Mom for never treating them like a unit)
So I assume their mom didn't give them the "Sherry/Terry" type of naming deal?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 6th, 2009, 9:58 pm

captmojo wrote:
windsor wrote:Sibling relationships fascinate me. I'm an only (which means I was all that and a bag of chips :D ) so the dynamic is alien to me. My long time best friend is a twin. She and her sister have a love/hate relationship that has left me scratching my head for many many years. They are NOTHING alike in personality (they are identical twins) always had different friends and different interests (I guess kudos are owed their Mom for never treating them like a unit)
Nope...Ilene and Cathy :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 7th, 2009, 7:06 am

windsor wrote:
captmojo wrote:
Nope...Ilene and Cathy :D
I'm intrigued. Not a good place for me. :D

So,I would be awfully remiss if it weren't asked...Ilene, she wouldn't happen to have one leg that's shorter than the other, perhaps?
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2009, 9:11 am

My sister and I could not be more different. We are not close, haven't been for a number of years, don't know if we ever will. I can't really carry on a conversation with her as she hasn't had an original thought in about 30 years, and I'm not being mean, I'm serious. My sister lives in a tiny little bubble and doesn't venture out of it all that often. And, she tries to be the person she thinks you think she should be. I love her, always will, and if she needs me I'll be there for her, just not sure it would go the other way around. I speak from experience.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 7th, 2009, 9:28 pm

My sister is pretty similar to me. Maybe a bit more of an attitude, and perhaps a slightly more up-beat and fun-oriented personality (Not to say I don't have that as well :) ), but other than that we are extremely alike. It's funny that my dad and her argue most of the time instead of the normal sibling/brother-sister bickering. It's going to be strange seeing her hanging out with some of my friends (Drill Team - Wayyy more prestigious than cheerleaders at our school, nothing like most schools) and in the halls of my school!
Class of 2014
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 7th, 2009, 10:01 pm

TillyGalore wrote:My sister and I could not be more different. We are not close, haven't been for a number of years, don't know if we ever will. I can't really carry on a conversation with her as she hasn't had an original thought in about 30 years, and I'm not being mean, I'm serious. My sister lives in a tiny little bubble and doesn't venture out of it all that often. And, she tries to be the person she thinks you think she should be. I love her, always will, and if she needs me I'll be there for her, just not sure it would go the other way around. I speak from experience.
Is there a big age difference?
craziecat
PW in training
PW in training

Post by craziecat » August 7th, 2009, 10:23 pm

I am the youngest of 4 kids, one of them bein my identical twin. The oldest 2 who are my sister and brother feel that got totaly shit on when my twin and I were born. Hoe ironic that after 38 years, they still think they are being shit on. As far as having a sibling who feels that it is their way or no way. I would make a simple suggestion, telling them to go pack sand and if they think they can do it so much better than have at it. My oldest sister is anal, and I am they one who has to put everything is a first to last list. If I don't get to it, then oh the hell well. Most likley it will still be laying there cause the rest of my family is to damn lazy to pick it up. ~x(
Please don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.
GO DUKE!!!!!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 8th, 2009, 5:43 pm

captmojo wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:My sister and I could not be more different. We are not close, haven't been for a number of years, don't know if we ever will. I can't really carry on a conversation with her as she hasn't had an original thought in about 30 years, and I'm not being mean, I'm serious. My sister lives in a tiny little bubble and doesn't venture out of it all that often. And, she tries to be the person she thinks you think she should be. I love her, always will, and if she needs me I'll be there for her, just not sure it would go the other way around. I speak from experience.
Is there a big age difference?
No. We're 2 years, 3 months, and 4 days apart. My sister has a learning disability. Whenever she was given constructive criticism she took as criticism and then start to act the way she thought everybody thought she should act.
I worship the Blue Devil!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 8th, 2009, 6:36 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
captmojo wrote: Is there a big age difference?
No. We're 2 years, 3 months, and 4 days apart. My sister has a learning disability. Whenever she was given constructive criticism she took as criticism and then start to act the way she thought everybody thought she should act.
The difference between my late brother and me was just over nine years. For some reason he would never admit that. I don't understand why. The numbers don't lie. Who did he think he was trying to convince? I've seen many, that have large differences in age, describe something similar to what you describe and I know my own experience to be in that group. We share. Damn shame for us but you are in a different situation in that your sis is still living.

I wish better for the two of you, but I do understand if it isn't possible.